12+

Dream Sequence 5/5

by steampowered

AN: This is the final part of my weird dream. I had to cut out a huge amount of stuff from my dream that didn’t seem to fit in, but there was originally going to be this great bit with some surviving humans that had become overlords and basically taken everything over. The germ thing is probably very weird, but I wanted to be as true to my original dream as possible. Sorry about the general sucky-ness!  Please rip it apart, and once again I'm sorry to let you guys down.

09:34 ~~

~~~~~~~~~

“So let me get this straight. You think there’s some kind of virus that’s causing the helicopters to act like this?”

“Quite possibly,” Drak muttered, stifling a yawn. He hadn’t fallen asleep at his computer so much as keeled over, and his hair was sticking out in all directions. The lights in the tower were off now, the electricity being siphoned away to power a myriad of electronics. It wouldn’t be long now before the generators gave up completely. “If I could overwrite it…”

“Can you do that?”

He looked offended by my question. “I’m a computer programmer – theoretically, yeah, I could overwrite it.” Then his face darkened. “But without Wi-Fi…” he pounded his fist against the keyboard, “my skills are almost useless.”

“Maybe it’s not a virus,” I said flippantly. “Maybe it’s a germ. Germs can be killed by antibiotics.”

Drak stopped typing. “What?”

“Sorry, bad joke.”

“No, what did you say about germs?”

“Sorry?”

He turned to stare at me. His eyes had a habit of going very wide when he was excited, and I had to admit it unsettled me slightly. “Kastyn, that’s it! Don’t you remember that laboratory? The one that fuelled military research? Up on Wittersley Hill, the army base?”

“Er, nope.”

“Well, they found something,” Drak said. “It was like some kind of superorganism. Something that lurked below ground, but a team of scientists brought it out into the light. It took over everything. The entire lab had to be closed down and an exclusion zone put around it. Eventually they managed to destroy it, but what if they didn’t?”

“So germs can think now, can they?”

“Maybe not individually, but as a collective…” Drak closed the lid of his computer and stood up. “It would explain why those military aircraft seemed to be flying themselves. We should take a walk up to Wittersley Hill.”

“What – now? But it’s like ten miles away! What about the baby?”

“Doesn’t matter,” Drak said. “I can go up there by myself.”

I shivered. The thought of walking ten miles across open country, towards a base that was probably totally secure and potentially the source of the helicopters, didn’t exactly fill me with excitement. But to let this guy slip through my fingers? No chance. “If we stop the helicopters, what then? Everybody’s dead.”

The baby – a nappy change had told us it was a girl – let out a giggle that seemed oddly out of place. Drak sighed and picked her up. “Not everybody, Kastyn. I’m not dead. You’re not dead. The kiddo here isn’t dead. Which reminds me, she needs to have a name.”

“Why does she need a name? There’s only one of her. We’re not exactly going to confuse her with any other baby.”

“Well, she’s a human being… How about Karen?”

“Nope.”

“Rebecca?”

“Nope.”

“Well, you suggest something then.”

“Turnip?”

He stopped, caught off guard. “What the… Why the hell would you name a kid Turnip?”

“I like turnips.”

“No you don’t. Nobody likes turnips.”

What could I say? It was bizarre to think that twenty-four hours ago, things had been normal. Everything had changed now. Now things would never be the same again.

After a few heated arguments we stood outside the lighthouse in the morning air, fighting over who was going to carry the newly named Turnip and who was going to carry the rest of the equipment, and knew that maybe, just maybe, we were going to make a difference.

“Ergh, what’s that smell?”

“Turnip.”

“It’s not turnips, it smells like… oh. That Turnip.”

“It’s your turn to change her, Drak.”

“Bloody hell, no it is not…”

“I did it last. And you should show more of an interest in your own offspring.”

“What the hell, Kastyn? I’m not Turnip – I mean, the kid’s father.”

“There you go again, avoiding all responsibility.”

“You know,” Drak said, “if you don’t shut up I’m leaving you behind.”

Did I forget to mention the “maybe” part?

[The End]

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:22 am
Pretzelstick wrote a review...

Hello steam.

I have got to agree with artybird, because I am definitively not as majorly disappointed as other reviewers are. You gave us enough closure about the cause of the whole epidemic with the mass killing and germs, etc. And yes, although you do leave us hanging there for a little bit, that's all up to the reader's imagination, isn't it though?

Let's get into this now, shall we?

So you left of the last part with them about to change the child's diaper, kind of with a cliffhanger about what gender it is, and generally made a big deal about this little character, and then you leave us with one sentence in the middle of the chapter. I was thinking that you unnecessarily kind of left us on the edge there, because we wanted to know, and if you would have decided to pick up right where you left off, then maybe you could have started this chapter with the gender and the name of the baby. (btw I think that Turnip is hilarious)

The lights in the tower were off now, the electricity being siphoned away to power a myriad of electronics.

How does this make sense that they are charging all of their devices, but at the same time they don't have use of the essential light in the tower? As Drak points out the obvious, there is no wi-fi, everything is down so what's the sense is charging something so useless?

“Can you do that?”

He looked offended by my question.

I don't really understand how he could be offended by such a simple question, the reason being that you don't describe the tone of voice that Kastyn was using while saying this. I think maybe if you make her use a tone on him that suggests underestimation or cockiness of his skill, then he has every right to react this way. But now, his reaction isn't justified in my mind, because there are much more important problems than pride at stake here.

Woah, that was a very confusing statement, although clothed in fanciness when she uses the word "offspring". I am so glad that Drak reacted and voiced his opposition, but this mystery still leads to me to wonder...

Seems like this whole chapter is built upon maybe. Maybe this and maybe that, etc. But I didn't really think that Kastyn is that type of character when it comes to action. As I saw her, it's just take it and go and do it and get it done. But now, my perspective has changed of her because of this indecisiveness that you have woven in.

Hahaha :D This did also catch me off guard by making me laugh. Most amusing line that's probably my favorite!

So overall, I think that this is a solid end to a solid story, even though it would maybe suck a bit if you didn't continue and at least make like one more section/part, cause then we would be left in the dark forever :/ That's where our creativity comes in I guess.

And concluding that all of the comments that I have of your series. It was definitively a pleasure reading and reviewing it! As always, if you have any questions at all, then you know where to find me. c:

~P.S.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:53 am
ThePhoenix wrote a review...

I'M BACK!
Ok, let's review (well I'm the one reviewing but still).
Also, naming the baby "Turnip" was just... wow. I don't know why but it reminds me of something from a movie. I think there was a baby called Turnip, but I'm not sure...

Don’t you remember that laboratory?

Ok, I can understand if he forgives her for smacking him with a saucepan, but the way he asks this makes it sound like they were there together to hear about it or whatever. The way he asks this is more of a way you would tell to a friend (does that make sense?).
That didn't really make sense...

His eyes had a habit of going very wide when he was excited

Wha-what? How long has it been? According to last chapter's time, it's been around sixteen hours. Granted that is long enough for them to get to know each other quite well but I'm going to assume eight of those hours were spent sleeping. Eight hours is technically still enough but... how many times has he gotten excited in the past sixteen hours? I can't imagine there'd be a lot to be excited about in the middle of an apocalypse.

It was like some kind of superorganism. Something that lurked below ground, but a team of scientists brought it out into the light. It took over everything.

Ok, I understand that this is a superorganism and that you said you wanted to stay as true to your dream as possible but... I still gotta question the plot, y'know? :D

So, how exactly does a germ take over a mechanical machine? I mean, parasites can take over living organisms, but can germs? And again, a mechanical machine... taken over by living cells. Doesn't make much sense. But I won't question dream logic (I just did...)

But to let this guy slip through my fingers? No chance.

...Why? You should give a reason. Does Kastyn have a crush on him? Does she not want to be left alone during the apocalypse? Is she worried that something will happen to him? Does she want him to change Turnip's diaper so she doesn't have to?
I mean, a reason would be nice.

If we stop the helicopters, what then? Everybody’s dead.

Did she forget about the people back at the bank?
Was it a bank? I forgot.

I may have copied too much but, you never actually state he agreed to the name "Turnip".

AND CUT!
I dunno why I did that, but THIS SERIES (series? I dunno) WAS AMAZING! I loved it. And the ending.
Actually about the ending, I don't get the "maybe" part. I know explaining it to me would probably make it less funny (I don't know if it's supposed to be comical) but I would still like to know...

And speaking of endings...
NOOOOO!
YOU CAN'T END IT THERE!
WHAT ABOUT THE OVERLORDS AND STUFF?
You should make a separate ending that includes the stuff you cut out. Like a director's cut or bloopers or something...
:D

But yeah. LOVED IT!
Bye!

steampowered says...

Thank you so much for reviewing my story all the way to the end. Your feedback has been really helpful!

ThePhoenix says...

:D

micamouth wrote a review...

AHAHA TURNIP I love you so much right now steam.

There is literally - almost literally - nothing wrong with this. I don't know what to say. I love the surprisingly comical end, and I love the character's dialogue - they're both so likeable!

I didn't actually realise Kastyn wasn't a dude until the last chapter when Drak woke up again, so I'd suggest making that a little clearer earlier on. (I just realised that Kastyn calls herself Turnip's mother when she's talking to her, but when I read it I just thought "ah, the dude's trying to comfort the poor thing".)

“Not everybody, Kastyn. I’m not dead. You’re not dead. The kiddo here isn’t dead. Which reminds me, she needs to have a name.”

Maybe "I think she needs to have a name"? I don't know, I'm nitpicking for no reason because this is so good ♥

The only thing I could ask now is that this be longer. It seemed a rather short chapter as did Chapter 4, but if that's all you've got, that's fine. I just think it needs a little more meat on the bones. Maybe try piecing together those weird bits and bobbins you took out and use them to create a longer chapter or more chapters? Or, if you have the motivation, I'd love to see this as a novel. On the whole, a really good chapter from a really good series, all written by an awesome author. Good luck with future work!

steampowered says...

Thank you so much for reviewing! I did put a little hint that Kastyn was a girl in part 1 ("who is that girl?") but it hadn't occurred to me that the readers might still be confused. I'll definitely bear that in mind. :D

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:42 am
Persistence wrote a review...

Hey, steams. Weird stuff happens in dreams. One time I had to fight a gladiator orc who had a lightsaber, and I had to do it with an ordinary steel sword.

If one looked at this without reading the title or knowing that it's a dream, they would surely find themselves weirded out, potentially disliking it as a story. But, once one realizes the true nature of this piece, they start to piece things together, for this certainly has the format of a dream.

From a bank full of strangers, to a ravaged empty city, to a tower/falloutshelter, to waking up just where things get interesting. You should use this story as a prologue and write an epic saga about ancient aliens and post-apocalyptic survival, or just base an epic story on this short. I see that some people don't particularly like your ending, but if you ask me, it's about being on the journey and having fun while you're at it.

The dialogue in the final part was funny, practically made up the entire part. I know that this turned out like a review of the whole story, but there really isn't much I could say about this without repeating myself from previous reviews. Your writing has been great, excellent, really, once you consider that you wrote this in a short time straight after waking up.

So, if dreams are what get you to write, I hope you have some sweet ones soon! And I hope that my reviews have been helpful and encouraging to you. Keep up the great work.

steampowered says...

Hmm, I'm seriously regretting having said that this was inspired by a dream because I feel like a lot of my reviews look at it in that context and don't treat it like a short story. Aside from the very beginning, Dream Sequence was not actually my dream - it was simply inspired by the dream I had.
Your review however was certainly appreciated and you've really helped me to see where I've gone wrong, so thank you. :)

masterofqwerty wrote a review...

I do have to say, this was a little bit of a let down. I realize that it could possibly be that it's a dream, so you would wake up right now, but really? No one would know if you gave us closure and it wasn't part of it. I'm not trying to be mean, but can I expect a sequel to this story that provides a little more closure as to what happens to these two? Because I at least want to know if these two decide to become husband and wife and repopulate the earth or something. Otherwise, the story is very well written. I look forward to other of your works.

steampowered says...

To be honest this was only meant to be a short story, and this final bit didn't even happen in the dream. I understand the ending was a let-down though. I might write more using this general theme, but it probably won't be a sequel, per se.
Thanks for your review. :)

artybirdy wrote a review...

Hello, I’m back again!
Unlike @Lau2001, I’m not majorly disappointed. I mean, you have given us some sort of closure about what caused the apocalypse to happen, and that’s more than enough for a short story like this one. Of course, if it’s possible, please do consider expanding on it. We’d all appreciate a dramatic climax leading to a heroic ending. This one leaves us with endless possibilities; it’s sort of like a cliff-hanger, which I particularly like. Do they defeat them together? Do they survive? What happens to Turnip (hilarious name, by the way. :D)? You have an original concept here. It’s the first time I’ve read about a super organism causing the apocalypse. I, especially, found it funny that they are heading out to stop the mass destruction, yet they are most concerned about the baby’s name. Their argument at the end made my day. :’) Jeez, I’ve grown to love these characters together. I hope they are given a chance to fully live through their journeys. There’s just the last sentence I’m a tad bit confused about. What do you mean by it? Except that, excellent job! Well done, and keep writing.

steampowered says...

Thanks for your review! As for the last sentence, it was supposed to refer back to "maybe we were going to make a difference" but I can see now why it doesn't really make any sense.
Whew, at least somebody thought the ending didn't suck too much. I'm seriously considering turning this into something longer...

artybirdy says...

No problem! Haha. I liked it because it ended on a light note. :D
If you're doing it because you want to, please do. However, if it's under the pressure of your readers' demands, I'd advise you not to. The rest is up to you. :)

Snoops wrote a review...

This is Mean. You make ALLL of us super excited about this dystopian world, where we have a saucepan, and baby Turnips, and Kastyn...And, then woosh, the end?! No! I will not accept this. You cannot take us threw all of that and than finish it without an explanation! How dare you! You should be banned! Meany! Making us love and be involved with an awesome story to then finish it without having a way to wrap everything up! Ugh.

*Cries in a corner pondering over saucepans*

steampowered says...

Sadly, dreams are about as unsatisfactory as candyfloss (including dissolving into nothingness once you've woken up) Considering how much of a rush I was in when I wrote this you've every right to be annoyed with me. :P
On a sliiightly more serious note, I'm considering turning this into a longer story which would hopefully have a more satisfying ending. I am totally aware that this ending sucks.
Your review / rant is appreciated.

Snoops says...

Fine, you don't have to be banished...

*Unbanishes*

Snoops says...

Fine, you don't have to be banished...

*Unbanishes*

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.