Dream Sequence 1/5

by steampowered

AN: This is the start of a five-part short story inspired by a dream I had last night. As a result it’s extremely weird and hastily written (I wrote the entire thing this morning) and some of it might not make sense. Feel free to rip it apart. I just did this for a bit of fun.

16:21 PM~~

~~~~~~~~~

When you go to a bank during opening hours, you expect to get some service from the cashiers. You certainly don’t expect to find every cashier gone, and a little pile of uniform on their deserted seats.

“What’s going on?” The speaker behind me, a posh-sounding woman, was leaning past me in the two-person queue to try and see the front desks. She didn’t actually jump the queue of course; that wouldn’t have been British. But she did sound distinctly irritated, not to mention a little befuddled.

“I’ve no idea.” I turned around to face her. “I’ve been waiting here for… oh, about ten minutes now.” I tapped my watch then looked back up at the thing that had bothered me most since entering the deserted bank. “Here, take a look at this. Don’t you find it strange?”

Deciding that queue-barging was, for the moment at least, permissible, the woman joined me by the desk. We both stared up at the ceiling just above the cashier desks. The ceiling had four very neat, very precise holes in it, directly overhead where the cashiers would have been sitting. If you craned your neck you could see right up to the sky outside.

Now that I thought about it, something smelled slightly scorched. I pressed my face up against the bullet-proof glass partition they have on bank desks, and saw, through the haze of my own condensation, a burn mark on each chair. One of the employee’s discarded jackets was still smoking.

“That’s it.” The woman was reaching into her pocket for a phone. “I’m calling the police.”

But before she could put the phone to her ear, the automatic doors opened, and two people hurtled in carrying shopping bags. From the terrified expressions on their faces, it couldn’t be good news. “There’s something out there,” stammered one, a presumably Muslim girl wearing a headscarf. “It’s coming for everyone…”

There came a loud crash from outside. My head snapped up. Things were moving outside, at speed. Then the posh-sounding woman grabbed my arm and gasped. Beyond the bank windows, cars were coming off the road, sliding into one another like marbles. It was like something out of an action film.

“Fire engine!” the other person, a man, shouted suddenly. He hurtled towards the welcome desk, dragging the three of us under it. It wasn’t the best shelter. There was barely room for four people to crouch underneath it. And as the out-of-control fire engine sped towards us, I realised that it was probably going to be crushed under the truck’s heavy weight.

But it was a shelter.

I swear in all my life I’ve never screamed so loudly as I did back then. Back when the nightmare was only just beginning. The people crammed in on either side of me screamed too, so we were basically just a chorus of high-pitched screams. The fire engine thundered towards us and I squeezed my eyes shut. There was a loud crash.

It was over.

Tentatively I opened my eyes and discovered that I was still alive, my heart beating fast. The other three were staring blankly through the smoke and steam, their faces grimy with ceiling plaster.

In true grand-finale style, the fire engine’s sirens began to blare.

“Come on!” The first to remotely come to my senses, I crawled out from the ruins of the welcome desk. The others followed me, slowly and sluggishly, like they were sleepwalking. It was only once we were back in the relative safety of the foyer that they began to snap out of their shocked dazes.

“Oh my God oh my God oh my God.” The posh woman was hyperventilating.

The young woman with the hijab pulled her phone out of her pocket, frantically keying buttons and swiping the screen at a speed I’d never have thought possible. “Is Mum OK, oh my God, is my sister OK…”

The automatic doors refused to automatically open. Something must have messed up the electricity, I thought as I yanked at them. Outside on the street was a scene of chaos. People were running and screaming, but to my surprise all were running in one direction.

Said the man as he stared out through the glass, “They’re running away from something.”

I finally triumphed over the doors and managed to yank them open. But before I could move he grabbed my arm, pulling me back. The sky overhead began to darken and still people ran and screamed. There came the sound of a million helicopter blades from the sky overhead. As I watched, laser rays came shooting down, and people were vaporised on the spot as they tried to flee. I swear to God it was like something out of War of the Worlds.

I wasn’t even sure why I wasn’t surprised anymore. It scared me how readily I accepted that this was happening, that this could even be real. Staring up at the gunships as they descended over the crowd like a plague of locusts, the one thing that disturbed me was: why doesn’t anyone seem to be at the controls?

I shooed the terrified customers back from the doors. “We need to stay hidden.”

It felt like a long time before the sound of the screams and helicopters died away. I couldn’t stop asking myself if the helicopters were going to come back. But risking a glance out of the windows, I saw them slowly disappear over the horizon.

“Oh God, oh God, oh God,” the posh woman whimpered.

I crossed the room to the doors, my mind already having been made up. “I’m going out there.”

“No!” the girl said at once, trying to grab my arm. “It’s too dangerous. What if there are more of those things?”

I patted her on the shoulder. “I’ll take that risk.”

“Who is that girl?” I heard the man murmur in shocked admiration as I ran out of the bank and down the street.

I could only think of one word to describe what I saw; devastation. Cars lay wrecked and abandoned and everyone was gone. Only the occasional scraps of clothing that drifted by gave me any clues as to what might have happened to them. In no more than five minutes, a busy shopping street had become a ghost town.

Shit.” I became aware that I was shaking. “Everyone… really did…”

As if in answer to my disbelieving mutters, a loud cry pierced the silence.

[To be continued]

Pretzelstick wrote a review...

Heya steam, I am so determined to get through all five parts of your short story. I have once promised that I would review everything that you ever posted. So here I am showing it to the first one, while also doing RevMo. Let's begin,shall we?

Steam, I am still astounded by your beautiful writing talent. I felt like I was inside the dream, that we were somehow connected through this story that was also your dream. I liked all of the fast-paced action on this, because it's just my type of story, you know? You didn't rush with it though, I didn't really feel like that happened. A dream in your head just happens so quickly, so that's probably why you chose to narrate this that way.

When you go to a bank during opening hours, you expect to get some service from the cashiers.

I honestly am in strong favor of those first sentence that "hook you" straight into the story. That make you want to read on. And I trusting my own judgement think that this isn't one of those sentences. The reason being, is that the content in this sentence is pretty obvious, I know what a bank is supposed to look like. I think that most people expect what you expected in this first sentence. Under normal circumstances anyways.

The speaker behind me, a posh-sounding woman,

At first, I thought that the "speaker" was a technical speaker, like one that you connect to your computer or device to project sound. Then I quickly get an answer in the next sentence that this is a woman that is speaking. That bit kind of confused me, so I would maybe rephrase that so I could understand that this is actually a person speaking. (oh and btw, I almost laughed at the image that i got in my head when you said "posh-sounding woman."-it just projects a funny picture in my head :D )

“I’ve been waiting here for… oh, about ten minutes now.”

I don't really get the sense of time here, like how should I know that it was ten minutes? If the MC hadn't said anything, I would have thought that she was here only one minute or so.Maybe you should show some signs or indication or her pacing, or touching/clicking her watch before she announced the time period in which she has been waiting in.

“There’s something out there,” stammered one, a presumably Muslim girl wearing a headscarf. “It’s coming for everyone…”

There came a loud crash from outside.

While reading this, I was kind of doubting that this happened so quickly. From the warning to the crash. In movies(the ones that I like to watch at least) there usually is a pause, or a frozen moment in between the warning and action. I have come to appreciate that element, and I would really like to see you describe that frozen moment in between, because in my opinion, that would make this particular scene perfect.

Things were moving outside, at speed.

If things are moving, then of course they are moving with speed. If it's slow speed, or fast speed, or in between. The prepositional phrase "at speed" isn't really that necessary here, just because of the fact that you need to describe the pace, so that I get a clearer picture. I'm assuming that it's fast and high speed, because that is what you've been hinting at, and giving clues about, but I'm not that sure.

I swear in all my life I’ve never screamed so loudly as I did back then.

I don't know why I just noticed this, but it seems that although you have chosen past tense, I think that present tense would match your "dreaming mood" more, since in your head, the dream is happening right now. It doesn't really seem like it happened "back then."

but to my surprise all were running in one direction.

I wasn’t even sure why I wasn’t surprised anymore.

The break between surprise and no surprise was maybe one paragraph, and it didn't seem like enough time for me personally. Also, I didn't really see you show the emotion of surprise, you just kind of stated that she was surprised and then why she was surprised.

I could only think of one word to describe what I saw; devastation.

I think that this probably could be enough, instead of dedicating that whole paragraph for trying to tell the readers what had happened on the common streets. But again,that's just only my opinion and you are the author so you can give or take.

It felt like this was very well-crafted, and written in a longer period then 3 hours, which is honestly a compliment. I just have a question, is the MC in the dream actually steam or is it just another character girl playing in this short story?

Overall, the last sentence was such an amazing cliffhanger. I really really really wanted to keep on reading almost immediately, because it was just so terrifying yet inviting to flip to the next page (or click the next button ...) I hope that this review helps you improve in anyway, and if you have any questions or comments you know where to find me.

Your twinsie,
Pretzel

P.S. we need to skype soon. Kay?

steampowered says...

Thank you for reviewing! This isn't the exact dream, more something that inspired me (and the later parts aren't actually based off the dream at all) Kastyn, the protagonist, is nothing like me whatsoever. So it may help to think of this as a story that started off as a dream, rather than an actual rendition of the dream itself. :)

Persistence wrote a review...

Hey there, steamy.

A fast-paced story that made me feel like I was actually in the dream. Amazing work, and to think that you wrote this in just a short while straight after waking up.

I always keep saying this, but I love it when stories describe things on the go. You do not linger to describe obsolete details like what colour the window frames were, or how many eyelashes the posh woman had (I'm exaggerating of course, but a lot of people tend to do something like this, on a smaller scale). The picture is painted as the plot progresses, and that always makes for an entertaining read.

"It wasn’t the best shelter. There was barely room for four people to crouch underneath it." I think that you could have merged these two sentences into something like "It wasn't the best shelter, barely two people could fit underneath it."

Also, try using " ' " as an apostrophe instead of " ` " so that you don't get that red line underneath the words when you type. Also, I think that the " ' " is the actual apostrophe.

I liked your characters. your mysterious war machines, and the general way you went about telling the story. Wonderful job, can't wait to read more of your work.

steampowered says...

I originally wrote this in Microsoft Word, so autocorrect is to be blamed for the slanting apostrophes etc (which I think might actually be correct, only this was originally written in Times New Roman or something, and the publishing centre font makes them look really weird)
And yep, I wrote all five parts in the space of three hours, so there was't much time for me to linger haha. Thank you for reviewing! :D

writer97 wrote a review...

Wow this was so cool. I definitely didn't see any of it coming. My only problem was that your descriptions were kind of blah. I know that when you're throwing something together quickly, describing people aren't really an option. But if you take the time to at least describe the more important people then everything is so much better after that. other than that i had no problems. I'm sure that if i had the time to rip it apart i could probably find more but at the moment I don't have an quarrels with this awesome piece. Can't wait to read the next installments!

steampowered says...

Thanks for your advice! I never really bother to describe people in casual writing projects, but I'm thinking of turning it into something bigger.
Your review is greatly appreciated. :D

ThePhoenix wrote a review...

*Sees rating

...
Pshhhh.

Who do you take me for?
Some sort of rule obeying kid?

Ok I am kinda like that. But psh.

Anyway. Review time.

...
Ok, I'll be honest. I'm the best at tearing apart work. Nor am I good at finding errors in story or whatever. So pardon me for this ABSOLUTELY horrible review.

But if you don't mind, I did find "some" errors. Don't worry. They were just typos. I think.

There came a loud crash from outside.

I think you meant:
Then came a loud crash.
I mean, without the bold.
I dunno, maybe your sentence does actually make sense, but it doesn't to me so I thought I'd just point it out.

Things were moving outside, at speed.

Ehm, I think you may have forgotten a few words after "speed". Or before it.

Then the posh-sounding woman grabbed my arm and gasped.

You never actually state a reason for her grabbing your characters arm (just realised your character doesn't have a name yet). She didn't even do anything after grabbing his arm. She kinda just stood there (at least that's what I've led myself to believe).

The young woman with the hijab pulled her phone out of her pocket, frantically keying buttons and swiping the screen at a speed I’d never have thought possible.

I think I might've understood better about how fast she was keying the buttons if you told me what kind of phone she had.
But from the fact you said she was pressing buttons, I'm going to assume it's a Blackberry phone.

“Is Mum OK,

You don't need to capitalise "OK". Also, since that is a question, it should be a question mark. Not a comma.

is my sister OK…”

Again, question mark.

Rephrase this part. Change it to something like:
"but to my surprise, everyone was running in the same direction."

Ehm, I think you swapped the two around. Unless there's something I'm missing.

There came the sound of a million helicopter blades

Again. It should be:
"Then came"

Also, a million seems a bit too specific. In reality, your character shouldn't even be able to tell how many helicopter blades there are because if there were really a million, it would all sound like one big fan or something...

So maybe change the sentence to something like:
"Then came the sound of what seemed like a million helicopters."

Ok, so maybe it isn't much better but you get my point.

:D
I think that's it.
Happy Writing.

PHOENIX OUT!
Definitely getting attached.

ThePhoenix says...

Ok looking back, this review was DEFINITELY nitpicky...
I'm sorry...
D:

steampowered says...

This isn't a horrible review at all! Some of the errors you spotted were deliberate, such as the bit that begins "Said the man" but I was probably taking a risk writing it like that and you're right, it's better the other way round.
"Million helicopter blades" was meant to be an exaggeration on the part of my character. Perhaps that bit needs some work to make it clearer.
I know some people don't like nitpicks, but I'm not one of them. I LOVE nitpicks, and since all five parts were written in 3 hours I'll probably be very glad of them! The fine-tuning process is all part of writing, right? :D
Thank you for reviewing!

ThePhoenix says...

D:
FIVE PARTS IN THREE HOURS?

I SPENT TWO DAYS ON ONE CHAPTER!

And you still somehow manage to top mine...
BUT ONE DAY! I WILL BEAT YOU!

Might never happen but hey! I can dream.

steampowered says...

I had to write it fast otherwise I'd have forgotten it. That's why it's bad.
Quality, not quantity.

ThePhoenix says...

:D
Still better than me though.

willachilles wrote a review...

R/N: This review is filled with nitpicks.

Woah. That was awesome.

Hey, Will here, for a review of your 'dreamy' story! - puns: not for Will

So, I really liked the plot you've got going here, and the fact that you dreamed this up makes it even more fascinating!

The Good

Your story really feels like an action movie! It has the same touch, and the descriptions you've got are so vivid and clear. You can picture the bank, the cashier windows, and the character's feelings. You've got really good descriptive skills!

Your writing is neat, in the way that even though so many things are happening at once, the reader can still see and picture everything in their head. Again, it's like an action movie is playing in their heads.

Your introduction is smart, and it introduces very well. The situation is well described, and you get that sense of spookiness, like, 'What the hell just happened?'

Things you can improve on, or fix up

16:21 PM~~

If you're going to have 24 hour time, you don't need 'PM.'

She didn’t actually jump the queue of course; that wouldn’t have been British. But she did sound distinctly irritated...

Instead of the semicolon there, you should just put a dash there and combine the two sentences.

She didn’t actually jump the queue of course - that wouldn’t have been British - but she did sound distinctly irritated...

Is she calling the police because she too saw the jackets smoking? If so, you should make reference to it. Something like,

I saw the lady's finger slowly point to the jacket on the chair.

"Oh my..." I wouldn't blame her for acting that way. “That’s it.” The woman was reaching into her pocket for a phone. “I’m calling the police.”

The link between the two could still be better.

Things were moving outside, at speed.

I don't think you should just leave it like that. Chuck a simile in there?

Things were moving outside at the speed of a highway.

“Fire engine!” the other person, a man, shouted suddenly. He hurtled towards...

I don't think you need the break in the first sentence just to describe that he is a man. It really breaks up the flow. And anyways, you already say the word 'he' in the next sentence.

Tentatively I opened...

Tentatively, I opened...

Lol. Just lol. There's nothing wrong with this sentence. Just, lol.

“Oh my God oh my God oh my God.”

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God."

With this sentence, I feel as if the way of putting the action with the noun ('said the man') before the actual speech is really old fashioned, and with this text, it doesn't fit. I think with this one, just stick with the modern style.

“They’re running away from something,” said the man as he stared out through the glass.

All righty. Well, if that wasn't a nitpicky review, I don't know what is.

Recap

Steam, you've outdone yourself this time. You really have.

"Hey peeps, she has, hasn't she?"

"Yeah, she has."

See?

No, in all seriousness - yes. Just yes.

I will follow this story for eternity, Steam! Tag me when the next one comes out.

Next time, when you're proofreading, read it aloud, because then you know where to put commas etc. It really helps, even if you look like a derp :P

Hope you liked my review!

-willa

steampowered says...

I don't think I've ever smiled so much at a review. Thank you for your nitpicks (which are always appreciated) and your honest feedback. I'm afraid part 1 is probably the best, and it goes downhill from there (parts 4 and 5 were especially bad because later on in the dream it didn't make as much sense so I had to change stuff) Aside from the dialogue though, this first section is almost EXACTLY what happened in the dream. But I might one day turn this from a hurried short story into a proper novel. You never know!
Once again, thank you for reviewing. :)

willachilles says...

Aww, no problem! Pfft...'it goes downhill from here' she says...*whispers*...it's probably just as great!

Secondly, on my review counter thing on the forumn, I sort of referenced this...hehe...September is NaRevWriMo! the quote btw...

Thirdly, no problemo!

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte