z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Writing

by speakerskat


     “Why did I join creative writing?” I question myself in an empty sun room on a cool winter day. I think it goes deeper than just a love of writing and the freedom I feel when I pour my thoughts onto a page. Deeper than the addiction I have to the satisfactory sensation of completing a challenging masterpiece. Deeper still than the joy that comes from elevating a pieces effectiveness by correctly executing a literary device.

     One time not too long ago I was sitting at my cheap wooden desk browsing some works on the Young Writers Society. I happened upon one poem in particular about a boy and his friend. It followed the two over many years with one central theme, his friend was gay. In the end it cost him his life.

     It is not an uncommon story nor is it a super imaginative topic, but it is the most popular work on there to this day because of how the author crafted it. When it comes down to it, it’s more than pressing your pen to the paper and words flowing out. It is beautiful frustration, editing, and re-editing. It is molding and shaping an original idea almost beyond any hope of recognition. It is writing not only for yourself but the so that the whole world can have your words long after you pass.

     I have a strong desire to learn and develop my assuredly rusty skills. I hope that by taking a course about the art of writing creatively I can improve my ability to make my readers really feel what’s happening in a story or poem rather than see it. Perhaps I can even lend some experience I have gained from my many years of writing to beginners.

     I also always seem trapped in a cloud of self-doubt. I spent hours on a piece; yet I spent no time on it at all. With one swift key stroke I trash all my hard work; I am never good enough, wasted time. In this course I plan to expand my abilities and confidence beyond their usually poetic application and imagine whole novels if I can. I am fed up with quitting all of my most promising creations just because I felt dejected.

     For me, running my fingers effortlessly across keys or my hand swishing over a paper is incredibly relaxing. It gets to the point where my mind goes on auto-piolet and for better or for worse, my emotions materialize themselves on the page. Sometimes they lead to something magical, other times something dark. More often than not, they lead to nothing at all. I have learned that that is okay because the most important part of writing is the experience, even if it is total garbage.

     “Something more than that even, more personal.” I get up and pace now, the cool tiled floor unpleasant against my bare feet. A robin chirps in the distance, its bell like call bringing a new idea to my head.

     I remember when I was only ten and I was compelled to write my first fictitious story. I picked up my favorite stuffed animal, Hippie the hippopotamus, and created a whole fictional family for him. It ended up being a tale about a group of bipedal hippos living in a house. There was no drama, romance, or suspense. Just some hippos in a house. But my mother and grandmother praised me so I continued with my writing.

     A few months later I picked up poetry. It was confusing at first but I absolutely adored nursery rhymes and lullabies, anything with a stead rhythm. I spent almost a week writing three crude lines about the life of a watermelon. This sparked a whole new passion in me for both music and poetry. As my timidity lessoned I blossomed into a brilliant writer well above my peers, yet I denied it every time and was convince I utterly sucked at anything involving the English language.

     If I am being truthful, I want this to be my profession. Editor, author, poet, lyricist, anything that will let me fashion words into captivating tales that unlock the imagination. There are boundless possibilities with an extensive vocabulary and a proper education. I could design whole worlds and dictate the lives of the people living on them. I could convey news and teach lessons through mystifying characters. I could forever immortalize the story of a lover’s devotion

I can’t deny it: I am a writer.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 499
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:52 am
View Likes
riotheselcouth says...



Thanks for this, u enlighten me a lil bit. yeah, that's true writer loves write.




Random avatar

Points: 151
Reviews: 0

Donate
Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:25 pm
View Likes



I agree totally I love to write more than anything, Though my speciality is poetry.




User avatar
498 Reviews


Points: 5966
Reviews: 498

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:11 pm
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



Hi speakerskat!
Happy Review Day!
I'm just going to go right into the review here. :) Sorry if it get a little nitpicky, that tends to happen when a piece is as well written as yours is.

Deeper still than the joy that comes from elevating a pieces effectiveness by correctly executing a literary device.

Just a little thing, but it should be piece's effectiveness.

It is writing not only for yourself but the so that the whole world can have your words long after you pass.

The 'the' before the 'so' should probably be removed, so it reads, "...for yourself but so that..."

I have a strong desire to learn and develop my assuredly rusty skills.

I feel like the assuredly rusty skills seems a bit off here, especially given the last line: "Perhaps I can even lend some experience I have gained from my many years of writing to beginners." Assuredly just sounds a bit weird, and I don't think rust skills goes with the developing part. Rusty is like saying they're there, but you haven't used them in a while. I think you could say "developing/furthering already good skills", or else something more like "brushing up on rusty skills". There's just a bit of a difference there, and from the last line it's clear that you write a lot, so that's why the line about skills would matter more, so they can match up with each other.

It gets to the point where my mind goes on auto-piolet and for better or for worse, my emotions materialize themselves on the page.

I think you want "auto-pilot" :)

As my timidity lessoned I blossomed into a brilliant writer well above my peers, yet I denied it every time and was convince I utterly sucked at anything involving the English language.

For this sentence, I think you should just change "lessoned" to "lessened" and "convince" to "convinced".

Overall, this was pretty good and well written. A lot of people on this site can relate to it, including me. I think you have a lot of good descriptions, and I like how it follows the narrators thoughts along, but is briefly interrupted by dialogue. Aside from the very few spelling errors, this looks great!

~Falco




User avatar
325 Reviews


Points: 689
Reviews: 325

Donate
Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:32 am
View Likes
tigeraye wrote a review...



Why did I join creative writing, I question myself in an empty sun room on a cool winter day.


I like this opening paragraph because it asks the reader a question, which is always a savory away to begin a piece of writing...one thing is that I think maybe you could perhaps not put it in quotations, and it might flow a bit better. But another possibility is to say "begin" instead of "join", because it wouldn't be a club. Obviously, with a story on a writing website about writing itself, you won't need to worry about having to find people to relate to your experiences, and as it's a more personal piece, as long as it brings you to a euphoric understanding with yourself to express yourself, it works fine. Obviously, many users here prefer to write as a hobby, but don't feel out of place to want to make a career out of it -- I'm the same as you.

We all write for different reasons and to discover the reason for yourself shows a strong capability in and out of itself, it's something if I think I tried to write about, it would take me quite a while. But as far as writing itself goes, I think you greatly portrayed struggle in a contrast to how society would want it in a Romantic Era style fashion that I appreciate, portraying it as something that is actually joyful in a poetic sort of way. I enjoy it.




speakerskat says...


Oh it's for a creative writing class and that was the question we had to use Xd




If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber