I'm really good at photoshop (pt 1)

by soundofmind

"Ok, so what if I told you, that I'm just really good at photoshop, and planted these photos around the world just to mess with people."

The interrogator's face twists up, his eyes squinted, and his mouth into a slightly disgusted frown. If I didn't know any better, I would've said he was a baby trying a lemon for the first time. He does not look pleased. He clenches his fists, and it looks like he's restraining himself from flipping the table. I clear my throat, pounding my chest with my fist twice.

"You know, I'm not the best at reading faces, but I think I can say that I'm 80% positive that you don't like that explanation," I say, a forced smile awkwardly forming on my lips.

"You mean to tell me you photoshopped these?" He says with a tilt of his head as he points down at one of the photos spread across the table and slides it towards me.

"Uh." I try to remember good comebacks to questions like these from things I've seen on T.V. and in movies. It takes me a second to form my rebuttal, but I muster up my confidence. "You callin' me a liar?" I ask defensively, faking an anger that doesn't exist within me.

Julian, my interrogator, at this point, seems to reach peak exasperation. It seems my acting is not on par with that of on-screen actors and he easily sees through my ruse. I blink at him several times with a nervous smile as he leans back in his seat and rubs his temples. I want to tell him that for an interrogator, he seems way too invested and emotional about a bunch of photos, and re-package the lie that this was all just a harmless prank in a way that perhaps, he will receive. But I have a feeling that because he's so invested, he isn't going to let it fly.

"You know, it's not beyond belief that someone would do this. I've seen people do weirder, stupider things. But something this elaborate - no. I'm not buying it. Here you're seen in all of these pictures completely immersed in the environment. You're wearing the clothes of the time period. You're interacting with the people around you. Here!" He picks up a photo and shows it to me, holding it in front of my face.

"You're holding the gold medal for a go-kart race? Who photoshops that? For what possible reason could you have to insert yourself into history in such a way? And how do you explain the natural aging of these photos? The authenticity of the paper?"

I chuckle. "You - haha - you checked that stuff?"

"I'm an investigator. I do my homework," Julian replies, jutting out his chin and looking at me condescendingly.

"Ok but. Look at the girl in the picture. I mean, yes, she's been blessed with a face as beautiful as mine, but, that's not me. It's not possible."

Julian gives me a flat look. I meet his eyes with a hopeful gaze, but I know he's not going to stop. Goshdang. He's relentless.

"Ok so, like, even if the woman in these pictures was me, why would it matter? What would you even do about it? Run around the world and try to 'expose' me? Turn me in to some top secret government agency and have them abuse me as some kind of tool or well of info so they can do some corrupt messed up stuff? Why do you even care? If you just want to know because it's a mystery and you're curious, and not knowing is like having an itch you can't scratch, then maybe you ought to get a back scratcher instead of askin' me to scratch it for ya." I fold my arms and lean back in my seat, taking on a nonchalant posture.

Julian narrows his eyes at me again, his lips pursed into a frowny pout. "That analogy makes absolutely no sense."

I tap my head with my pointer finger and waggle my brows at him with a mischevious smile. "Just like how the photos don't make sense."

He continues to look at me with the same dumb, confused and clueless kind of stare. Somewhere behind his dark brown eyes is frustration, but it seems he's more interested in me as character than a culprit of something.

"So what you're saying is, that, though you're seen in countless different photos taken throughout history, that even if it was you, admitting to it would only put you in... danger? Of being known?"

"Of being kidnapped by crazy scientists!! Geez, don't you read any sci-fi? Or watch any movies? This stuff always happens."

"So you're saying you are the woman in the pictures."

I smirk, and shake my head. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. That's one ancient interrogation technique you pulled on me there. Tryin' to twist my words."

"But you have yet to directly deny that you're the person in the pictures," Julian says with a sly grin.

"Because I'm smart enough to be vague," I say with a goofy smile, my chin receding into my neck, and my voice going an octave lower. "I have to maintain my mysterious and aloof demeanour."

"You're not taking this seriously," Julian says with one brow raised.

"You notice this now?" I scoff loudly, and break out into three roaring "ha's."

Julian waits for my laughter to die down, staring me down now with one of his serious stares this time.

"I'm not going to turn you in to anybody," he says with a simultaneously sincere, but grim expression. "I'm not interested in making a name for myself for discovering... well, whoever you are. A time traveller, or whatever else could explain your existence throughout the ages. As you said, it's... an itch I can't scratch. I want to know who the hell you are, because I can't sleep at night without a reasonable explanation for this." He pauses just long enough for me to open my mouth to say something, but he cuts me off.

"And before you spout some quip playing off any of the words I just said, take a moment to consider that there really is no harm in telling me. I hold no ill will towards you. And I've done nothing to prove myself untrustworthy -"

"You dragged me in here to accuse me of existing in every time period at once," I interjected.

"- because talking about stuff is how you communicate and learn things, Miss Wilson. How else was I supposed to figure out who you were?"

I twirl my hair, tucking my feet up onto the chair. "Well you sure did a lot of googling on me before you decided to talk to me in person soooooo..."

Julian's eyes go from fully open to half-closed in frustration. It's odd, but I kind of pity him at this point. Not in the kind of pity you feel for a kid who dropped thier ice-cream cone kind of pity, but the kind when some kid can't figure out how to read a certain word and is literally pained over it because they want to know what it says and means. I let my twirled stream of hair fall onto my loose plaid button-up, and I sigh. I adjust myself in the chair until I'm sitting upright, like a normal person, before I lean my elbows forward on the table and hold my face in my hands.

"Julian, who would you tell?"

Julian looks down at me from his nose, his eyelashes fluttering against his brown skin as he blinks an unecessary amount of times. "I..."

"If you say your parents I'm going to be dissapointed."

Julian sighs in annoyance. "No one."

"So this whole thing - it's just for your own peace of mind?"

He nods. I purse my lips and hum to myself in thought.

"Ok then," I say suddenly, sitting back up straight, clapping my hands. "It's me! Congrats, Julian, YA GOT ME GOOD. I'm just a really good photo-shopper!"

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:19 am
Shady wrote a review...

Sound!

Thanks so much for giving me a mystery for my Checklist Challenge! Let's get started...

He does not look pleased.

This is a bit redundant given the surrounding text and kind of detracts from the paragraph since it pulls away from the illusion fo the story.

"That analogy makes absolutely no sense."

He's not wrong xD

My gosh, what a brat, I love her.

BRAT

~ ~ ~

I really liked this story! It is such an intriguing premise and written really well! I really enjoyed how your MC is so flippant and bratty and vague but strangely likable despite all that. I feel bad for poor Julian.

I'm not super clear on Julian's role, though? At first, I was getting vibes that he was investigating her in like a police precinct, but by the end it doesn't seem that way? So if he's not police, then HOW does he have all these pictures of her and who is he to think that he gets to confront her about them?

Not super clear on the plot of this story -- but, as I mentioned, it's still amusing to read and a nice little humorous short story with a heavy dose of mystery and intrigue. Love it!

Keep writing and Happy RevMo (AND THANK YOU FOR THIS!)

~Shady

soundofmind says...

Hahah THANK U SO MUCH FOR THE REVIEW!! I appreciate the feedback even years later lol. If I ever happen to revisit/rewrite this one of the big things I wanna do is make Julian%u2019s role a lot clearer. I thiiiink he was supposed to be a P.I. but I forgetttt lol

ANYWAYS UR WELCOME AND THANK U AGAIN

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:07 pm
DogFruit wrote a review...

Loving this! So excited to read part two. I really like the characterization of Julian and the protagonist. I also enjoy the protagonist's sass. It compliment's Julian nicely! Your strong suit is definitely dialogue, so I would work on things like descriptions and analogies. Looking into figurative language and things would be useful too. When you effectively use those, your stories become 10x better!

"Ok then," I say suddenly, sitting back up straight, clapping my hands. "It's me! Congrats, Julian, YA GOT ME GOOD. I'm just a really good photo-shopper!" < Love this line! Great closer.
"Well you sure did a lot of googling on me before you decided to talk to me in person soooooo..." < I like this line because it actually made me wonder if the protagonist is actually a time traveler or not.

I do have some questions though. Mainly: Where does this take place? Who is Julian? Is he actually an investigator for the police or a hobbyist? Is she actually a time traveler??? I still don't know.

Sorry this was so out of order - I'm working on that! So hyped to read part two...

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:19 am
Trump666 wrote a review...

Interesting story.

Plot made me interested in whoever this person was to the point where I want a part two.

One thing I like is that it was not that long so I could read it in a minute or two and will as a result have time to read more stories by different authors.

My favourite sentence was "That analogy makes absolutely no sense" as that showed that one of the characters shared my feeling.

I liked how you didn't reveal too much about what happened or who any of the characters are because it means I am excited for the opportunity of a part two.

The interrogator was my favourite of the two characters because I have never been a huge fan of characters that lack seriousness and the person being interrogated seemed very casual from the language they used. While I had my preferences then I still liked both characters.

My least favourite part was probably how overly cocky the person being interrogated was because I feel that at least at the beginning they should have been more nervous than they were.

This is just my opinion and I hope you don't take it personally.

I rate this 8/10!

soundofmind says...

Why thank you for the review, Trump! Glad you liked Julian!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:19 am
Dreamy wrote a review...

Hi! This is not a review, just something I thought of:

When Miss Wilson asked the interrogator that he wouldn't "tell this to his parents", I genuinely thought that Miss Wilson is an imaginary friend/ghost and that the interrogator is actually a child, haha. I like this Wilson woman she has good sense of humour. I'd love to see more of her;will you make this a series of some sort? I'd like to see her mess around with people. Good story this one.

Cheers!

soundofmind says...

omg!! thank you so much!! haha, her humor is basically mine hahahaha SO I'M GLAD you like her <3 I never considered making this a series, but now that you mention it, it might be fun to write a series of short stories with her!

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:13 am
Dracula wrote a review...

Hello again, soundofmind! The Green Room is now and empty so I went lurking around the website for things to review... and found this!

The interrogator's face twists up, his eyes squinted, and his mouth into a slightly disgusted frown.
You might want to read through this, because it doesn't make sense. It could be rephrased into something along the lines of: The interrogator's face twists up, his eyes squinting and his mouth in a disgusted frown.

I blink at him several times with a nervous smile as he leans back in his seat and rubs his temples.
This bit was well done. Though you don't spend much time telling me about the interrogator's actions, I can tell just how frustrated he actually is. Give me a confession already! Why did you just waste my time?! Surely it wasn't all a prank?!! No, it couldn't be!

Not that it really matters, but just a heads up that up to this point I had imagined the suspect as a male.

If they were a time-traveller, their tactic just changed very quickly. One second she wanted to keep her past a secret, now she's spilling all. Although I think the title of this holds true, and she IS just a good photo-shopper.

Whaaat? I thought she was going to confess to time travel for a second, then she just started all over again! I feel frustrated like the interrogator, haha. Is she really a time-traveller? The aged paper has not been explained, so it leaves me wondering... so many questions...

I liked your writing style. The scene was vivid, though the story confused me a bit. Will this be part of a larger piece at some point in the future? If not, maybe just add another sentence to give me some closure. :D

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much for your review! I'm super happy to hear you like my writing style!! Sorry you found it confusing though!! sahljkghdafkjlg

TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Hi soundofmind! :D

This was a great piece that I really enjoyed! I love how even as the reader we still don't know if the narrator actually can time travel or if they just ARE really good at photo-shop(I'm guessing the former is true). My only critique is that at the beginning I have no idea what is going on. I like it though, it make me ask some questions(Why is the narrator being interrogated for about photos? Where are we? What kind of photos is the narrator "planting around the world to mess with people"?) and want to read the story to find out what the flip is going on! xD

Well ANYWAYS... great story! You could honestly make this into a longer story because I feel like this is almost an excerpt from the middle a novel maybe! Keep writing! :D

soundofmind says...

thank you so much for your review!

TheBlueCat says...

Your Welcome! :D

I did really enjoy this. It's interesting because you've got a person who may, in fact, be a time traveler (I'm leaning toward yes, even though she insists she's just good with photoshop and likes a good practical joke), but the whole thing is denied in a humorous way and you never find out for sure - even at the end, when it feels like you might find out for sure.

The voice of the narrator is kind of uncertain, though. Like for the most part she's very nonchalant and teasing and just dancing around the interrogator's question and generally seems to have a lot of fun keeping him on the hook. But then there are parts where she says she "gave a nervous smile" or something, which makes it sound a very little bit like she's actually concerned about him finding out who she is. Which is fine, but I feel like I should at least be certain whether she's actually nervous and just faking her nonchalance or if she's actually 100% not worried at all and totally just having fun with this guy.

I also feel like it might be nice for there to be more hints one way or the other about whether or not she's really a time traveler. I'm leaning toward yes, because there must be more than just the fact of these photos that this guy actually hauled her in for questioning and really believes there might be something here. (Unless he's crazy, but he doesn't seem crazy.) Also because I think it's more fun that way. Either way, I think we should get a hint of that in her thoughts - she doesn't have to think it explicitly and solve it for us, but just subtle hints that might point one direction or the other if you're paying attention. Right now she's so focused on the investigator and trying to play up the nonchalance for him that we don't see much of her thinking about her actual situation.

At least not except for phrases like "like a normal person," but I say things like that. And I'm not a time traveler.

As far as you know.

This review courtesy of

soundofmind says...

Wow, errybody likin' your review because GURRRRRL, YOU RIGHT.

About 1. the nonchalance thing, I mean, and 2. dropping more hints to make it less up in the air of her time-traveller-ness or not.

To be completely honest, I wasn't sure how to incorporate her direct thoughts about the situation without being too direct. But what I wanted her to be was nervous, but (mostly) maintaining a cool exterior about it. If I didn't succeed in that I'll have to do better!! hahah

and the fact that she's nervous at all may or may not indicate that she actually has something to be nervous about ;) you know, if it's more than just a harmless prank

BluesClues says...

heh heh heh

Yeah, I feel like it would help if we see her describing that she's unsure of whether she should do this or that nonchalant action, or else she can focus a little more on Julian's actions/tone and wonder whether he believes her/is falling for it/whatever, because that might point to her being nervous. Like if she wasn't nervous a bit she wouldn't really care what he's doing, probably.

As for directing her thoughts in such a way that it hints at time-traveling without saying "in my own time" or some total giveaway like that, I guess it just depends on her actual experiences and memories. So I don't have any concrete suggestions for you there, I'm afraid, although I've read stories where things are hinted at subtly. So if I can think of some of them, maybe I'll just direct you their way so you can get an example! Even though it won't be a time-traveling example.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:36 am
Wolfi wrote a review...

Hey dnuos! Might as well review this, aye?

This is amazing xD It's really impressive that you wrote this in just a couple hours or so. It's not as neatly finished as a usual short story would be, but it's still quite entertaining, and you did a good job at showing the characters' personalities in so few words.

I noticed some tense shifts in this paragraph. I highlighted a few examples:

The interrogator's face twists up, his eyes squinted, and his mouth into a slightly disgusted frown. If I didn't know any better, I would've said he was a baby trying a lemon for the first time. He did not look pleased. He clenched his fists, and it looked like he was restraining himself from flipping the table. I clear my throat, pounding my chest with my fist twice.

I noticed some more shifts in the "Julian, my interrogator" paragraph.

She has such a great voice!

I know you already commented on how this doesn't really have an ending, so let's work on that! The last line is funny, but I don't think it's as funny as it could be. Because it already seemed pretty clear that Julian "got her," especially when Miss Wilson starts asking who he would tell, so the last line isn't unexpected. Jokes are funniest when they're something totally unexpected, something with a twist. And if you could end this story with a twist, it would be the perfect end.

My only idea for this unexpected ending would be to have Miss Wilson say that she's actually just really good at photoshop. Because most of the time, the clues that you drop seem to hint at the fact that she's definitely a time-traveler, particularly when she's ready to let Julian in on this "big secret."

I dunno. I like how you have the ending as it is - it's still funny, and fits with the narrator's voice - but it could definitely be better. And if you want to tie the story up in a better way that doesn't involve lengthening it, I'd try to think of an unexpected twist.

But seriously, this is hilarious. Miss Wilson's funny and crazy personality reminds me a lot of yours. If you ever were interrogated for time-traveling I feel like you would act the same way.

Great job on this, especially with the time crunch! How do you write so fast?? Stop being so talented. Sheesh.

soundofmind says...

(Can I like a review twice?) HI, YES, I can't keep a consistent tense to save my life, I should've really gone back over it and checked for consistency before posting but you know, IT'S ALL FOR THE SAKE OF THE GREEN ROOM ; )))

And haha, yeah, Miss Wilson's personality may or may not be based off of mine. I have a ridiculously strong voice when I don't hold back and I was just having fun with this ahaha

BUT GLAD IT WAS FUNNY FOR YOU
THAT'S THE GOAL

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana