Home » Literary works » Poetry » Dramatic

Waiting

by salia4

Life is full of happiness

Lifeis full of sorrow

It’sthe yin and yang of life,

that leads today,

into tomorrow.

When I was 7,

I saw my dad for

the last time, I hug him,

I tell him,

I’ll wait

When I was 8

my little brother was born,

I held him in my arms

Beaming from ear to ear

He was asleep

I was waiting

When I was 12

I started middle school with

No smiles, no friends, only hate

They call me a witch

But through my pain,

Hope still shines,

So still, I wait

14

still growing

Still learning

Yin and yang keep me going,

Keep me waiting

I miss my dad

I miss my grandpa, taken

By cancer and diabetes,

I miss when there was

Less yin than yang

I miss the times when

all I felt was joy

Now all I feel

Is pain

And still, I wait

I carry my family

I clean, do laundry

Cook and care for my siblings

But, above all

I wait

I work hard

do well

But it doesn’t keep at bay

The pain and tears, but I know

I must keep going

I must keep waiting

Perhaps it’s for the chance

To be a kid once again

Without responsibilities

To be free

To be happy

Maybe it’s for something more

To be valued, important

To be listened to

To be respected

To be someone

All I know

Is that I wait

Perhaps I wait

For the impossible

To see my dad,

to see my grandpa,

To fill this hole in my heart,

Where they once stood

But now they are gone.

But I still have hope

And still I wait

I wait

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 am
riancarthy says...

What a nice poem. I could feel your pain and sadness as it went on. I felt the story in the poem and it really made me think about horrible pain and suffering to come out on top, and in my opinion you have, came out on top. I could really tell the horror you have felt in your life which utmost inspires me. The only tiny error I could find (as I am a person of not just pros, but cons) was just the spacing at times or full stops, but that really doesn't matter. What mattered was that you have suffered and have lost loved ones and have had to work so hard. I respect you.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 am
riancarthy says...

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 am
riancarthy wrote a review...

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 am
Bhaavya Singh says...

It was a nice poem and I felt the pain in it as I was reading.

lelu says...

Ok, this was amazing...
I don't know if this is really about you or just a character you made up, but if it is about you and you're really looking for something to make life make sense...
I don't wanna be like "U NEED JESUS" and expect it to fix everything, and you don't have to read this, but if you want, just pretend for a second. Pretend like you've never heard of Jesus before. Throw out everything people have done in His name, good or bad, that might influence you, and focus on what we know.
1. He existed. If you believe in Julius Caesar, it's because we have proof that Caesar existed. And there's even more proof of Jesus having existed.
2. He lived for 33ish years and taught people stuff.
3. He died. Killed by people who didn't like what He said about corrupt authority. They had no idea of the biggest reason for His coming.
4. God made people with great worth, but we aren't perfect. We act like this is fine, but it's not. People do wrong things, so the world is a mess. Heaven can't be a mess, so shouldn't people go to hell? True. Unless we know we're not perfect and we're sorry. Some are. But being sorry doesn't make up for all the crap that's in the world, bombings and wars, et cetera. The people who cause anything wrong (whether it's a kid crying or some people dying) deserve to die. Somebody has to die.
5. Jesus died instead. You may not understand how this makes up for everything we've done. But it does. We have to be sorry. Check. Somebody has to die. Check.
6. He came back. Because He didn't deserve to die, there was no reason for Him to stay dead.
7. People say Christians are bigots or traditionalist. Not really. I respectfully disagree with people of other religions or lack thereof. I know people of other worldviews who respectfully disagree with me. Please don't get offended by this. Maybe you won't read it. If you do, I hope this might help. Because a lot of people live not knowing what makes life worthwhile, but everyone should know that God exists and made us to be with Him.

lelu says...

Sorry, I don't know why this showed up twice, and I just found out that this is from the POV of a character you made up, but maybe your life still needs meaning, idk

salia4 says...

It's actually about my life, but thanks for your concern, I did read through your comment, and I did find reassurance in it, thank you

lelu says...

Ok, this was amazing...

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.