z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Destroyed

by riles


Intro: This is a really quick poem I wrote off the top of my head, and I am posting it here raw and fresh. Feedback would be greatly appreciated! 

When your heart breaks,

It breaks hard.

When your soul snaps,

It snaps hard.

When your life shatters,

It shatters hard.

Hard.

Harder.

Hardest.

ABC, 123.

Break.

Snap.

Shatter.

Gone. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 1352
Reviews: 21

Donate
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:13 am
Namjoon2003 wrote a review...



Hello, I'm here to review this wonderful/creative poem. (Even though I'm a little late.)

I would like to say that I think that you are very creative because you thought of this from off the top of your head. If I wrote something like this it would take me hours to write it. You have to real talent for writing poetry if you just came up with something like this from the top of your head.

The only thing that was a little confusing for me was:
"ABC,123.
I didn't get how that had anything to do with the breaking, shattering, or it just being gone. The only thing that I could think of was you comparing that to a kindergarten child having to learn this stuff, and it being hard for them. (This is only my opinion, don't be mad.) If you were not going for that then I'm sorry for the miss understanding.

Other than me being confused, I really liked this. It was just really creative. I can actually tell that you are a very creative person, if you came up with this from the top of your head. The reader can actually relate to what you wrote(if it is relate able to them). Anyway, I really loved it, and I hope to read more of your creativity in the future. Keep up the good work!!

~Namjoon~




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 30

Donate
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:50 pm
Daenyss wrote a review...



Hey! I thought I'd pop by to review this, and may I say great job capturing the mood of the piece in a short work! Bravo.

Onto my critiques. The first is pacing. You have line breaks and punctuation everywhere, and it makes for some crazy pacing. Try reading it like you would read regular prose - period to period. Edit as needed. Then, go back and see where it makes logical sense to add in a line break. Also, stanza definition would be nice.

Another thing that bugged me, but is probably just personal preference, is how many times you use the word hard. You use it 6 times, 4 times completely back-to-back. It reads weird. Also, your inclusion of "hardest." I understand wanting to include the superlative degree, but there's nothing to tell us what "hardest" pairs with. It's a bit disconcerting.

Overall, great job, and keep writing!




riles says...


Thanks for taking time to review this! I definitely see what you mean about line breaks, I%u2019ll be sure to review those. As for the stanza definition, I actually had the poem formatted into stanzas but because of a cell phone glitch it posted weirdly. However, thanks to LadyLizz I can fix my glitch in the future :). I appreciate your opinion about the repetitive use of the word hard. I chose to use that word so many times to have a constant in the poem, and to relate all the things I wrote about too each other.

Thank you! :)



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there riles.
A late welcome to yws.

First thing I always recommend as a poetry mod: employ some stanzas.
A lot of times, poets feel like for short poems, they don't really need to do any formatting because it's going to be over soon anyways. You've still got 3 main avenues running here, so this is the form that I would recommend.

When your heart breaks,
It breaks hard.
When your soul snaps,
It snaps hard.
When your life shatters,
It shatters hard.

Hard.
Harder.
Hardest.
ABC, 123.

Break.
Snap.
Shatter.
Gone.

If you already had this formatted and it just didn't stick, here's a guide.
How to Format Poetry

Now that we've gotten those split up into stanzas, it's a bit easier to go through my comments on each part.

When your heart breaks,
It breaks hard.
When your soul snaps,
It snaps hard.
When your life shatters,
It shatters hard.

Not a fan of the capping on every line, just makes the poem feel too formal for free verse. You certainly don't need the cap on every line, no matter what your English teacher might tell you.
Most of the imagery focused in this stanza and while it's got some things going for it, it's still rather plain. This is the story that has been told many times before, there's drama and the breaking of hearts, but it's not really going anywhere.
The secondary issue with the message and imagery combo, is that it doesn't really carry anywhere else in the poem. The rest is just repetition, so if you're just gonna repeat the same message further down, try harder to make it count the first time.

Hard.
Harder.
Hardest.
ABC, 123.

Here's the splice from 'hard' to 'easy', which is one of those transitions that never really sits well with me. When the poet decides that they have to add on more to the metaphor, just in case the reader didn't catch it the first time. The layering is sort of weird and combined with the repetition, just strikes me as annoying over anything else.
The ending line by itself is not appealing at all, smushed in caps and numbers, after a long streak of singular words. Doesn't sit well with me or the health of the poem.

Break.
Snap.
Shatter.
Gone.

And we're onto more repetition of the first stanza, which is not getting anymore original with time. I would recommend going with more on the ending, maybe leave it more questioning, rather than just the full stop. Won't repeat the advice from above because it's staying about the same.

Get more creative upstairs and then reinforce down here.
If you've got questions about the specifics, ask 'em.




riles says...


Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed, specific review! And thanks for the welcome! About the whole stanza thing... due to a glitch on my phone whenever I posted poems the way I had it formatted always changes when I uploaded it. I never knew how to fix it, but thanks to your helpful link I think I will be able to fix it next time. I understand what you mean about imagery. I am normally a very heavy imagery writer, and it%u2019s actually my favorite thing to write. I decided to try a poem without imagery to try and make it stronger and less lyrical, but I totally could have missed the mark. And for the capitalization stuff, thanks for the tip!



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 2179
Reviews: 43

Donate
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:27 pm
AlmondEyes wrote a review...



Hello There!! AlmondEyes here to do a quick review!!

Anyways (ahem xD),

Let me begin by saying I do not agree with manilla. I liked this poem. You were very straight and to the point, which I liked. Something destroyed you. I honestly like the way went about saying it. I get what she means about getting more from the poem by stopping at

ABC, 123.


It seems like it would have been good place to end it off, but I like that you kept going.

Break.

Snap.

Shatter.

Gone.


When I read this, I believe the thought I had with an approving nod was d*mn , so I would like to tell you well done. I feel like that really drove it home. You have your ABC, 123, and then you've got those last four words to really get it into the readers' head, that some deep, and what seems like irreparable damage has been done. I found this poem to be, in my opinion, quite straight forward (almost aggressively so) and powerful. Kind of like being punched in the face xD

Bravo *Slow claps*

Keep it up ^^




AlmondEyes says...


P.S. Welcome to the site ^^



riles says...


Thanks for this awesome review, and for the kind welcome! That%u2019s exactly what I was going for, straight forward and powerful. Thanks again!



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:20 pm
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello, riles. I am here to provide you a review. Let’s get started, shall we?

I. Clarity & Message
I can understand the message clearly. Heartbreak can shatter one’s life, and that was what the speaker is trying to say. I enjoyed the theme you did here, since I dabble in dark poems myself.

II. Tone
Even though I enjoyed reading the poem, the emotion… the tone of the poem is not there. To me, I did not sense any sadness or pain. Even though the poem shows potential and the words written are good, it lacks the emotional connection between the speaker and the reader. When you write about heartbreak, the speaker needs to express that pain and sadness through the words.

III. Structure
The structure of the poem seems to be holding itself back. Or say the speaker is SAYING how they feel but they are not EXPRESSING how they feel. Also, you don’t have to capitalize the first word on each line. You can simply let it be free-flowing. For example:

When your heart breaks it breaks hard When your soul snaps It snaps hard When your life shatters It shatters hard.


Take your poem and put it into one giant paragraph. You can re-read your poem and put breaking points where you think is good. I can provide you a sample using your poem. Here:

When your heart breaks, it breaks hard
When your soul snaps, it snaps hard
When your life shatters, it shatters hard


Here with the poem re-structured ( If that’s even a word, lel. ) you can sense the tone in the poem. Does that make sense to you?

IV. Overall
Overall, the poem sends a great message to the readers and it was quite clear on what the theme is about, which is heartbreak. But, it lacks the tone and the poem structure is limited. I suggest that you re-write this poem in a free-flowing way, that way it can have that tone that goes along with the poem.
Other than that, not a bad read. Keep up the great work. I hope this review helps.
Keep writing!

- Kanome

This review courtesy of
Image




riles says...


Hello Kanome. Thanks for taking the time to write a review! I understand what you mean about the tone. That is definitely something I am trying to work on- thanks for bringing it up! I wills definitely try out our method to re-structure it. Thanks!



User avatar
121 Reviews


Points: 110
Reviews: 121

Donate
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 pm
manilla wrote a review...



This poem is very to-the-point, but I feel that if you extended it, more meaning would've come across to the reader.

"ABC, 123."


Your analogy between the quote above and your "Break. Snap. Shatter. Gone" doesn't quite work for me. If you were trying to get across the fact that it would only take seconds for a heart to be destroyed, I think a different phrase would've been appropriate.

I'm not going to get all critiquey here, but if you extended the poem and added more meaning into it, your point would've come across better.

-Manilla out
(Feel free to disregard any comments you deem unhelpful or rude.)




riles says...


Hi Manilla! Thanks for this review! I respect your opinion, and will think thoroughly about what you wrote.



manilla says...


YW :)




When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann