"How Sound Feels" Revised

by pendr

I hear the sound

Snap snap, pop pop

And I'm filled with anger.

An anger that grows

Until it’s stronger than I've ever known

Was possible.

So intense that I'm taken out in one blow.

.

I hear the sound

Snap snap, pop pop

And I'm filled with anxiety.

Anxiety that makes me shake

Until I feel I'm going to break

Into pieces

And I need to leave the room for my sanity’s sake.

.

It takes all of my willpower and strength

To not get up and in their space

And not yell in the snapper’s face

SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!

.

Because to me sound is red like a fire

Burning in my soul

And burning the souls of people around me.

And I’ll topple like a forest

And they’ll thrive like water.

To me sound is dark and dangerous.

To me sound kills.

Kills joy, kills relationships, kills chances.

.

And I’ll try to describe it,

But you’ll shut down

And we’ll be spinning around and around

In circles

At the expense of me and you.

.

And it’s only worse

That the people I love don’t care.

Or if they do they don’t want me to share

How I feel.

And all of us will be aware

That none of this is fair

For ourselves.

.

But soon I’ll snap, too.

Soon I’ll pop, too.

And still no one will understand why

And still I won’t be able to explain

And still we’ll end up where we began

With me dying and them not asking what.

.

But I can’t help it

And neither can you,

So where does that leave us?

Sevro wrote a review...

Hey, pendr. Sevro here on review day. I'll just jump right in.

So, wow. First off, I never knew that this syndrome existed, so thank you for shedding some light on that. Secondly, I've listened to spoken word poetry before, and, let me tell you, I can absolutely imagine this being spoken. And when I imagine that, it takes my breath away.

I hear the sound

Snap snap, pop pop

And I'm filled with anger.

An anger that grows

Was possible.

This is a good opening. It's intriguing. The reader, at first, doesn't really know what you're talking about, which is good because it will make them continue reading. The bolded line is awkward to read/say. I think it would flow nicer if it was, "Until it's stronger than I ever knew / was possible." I like how you subtly introduce the rhyming scheme. That rhythm makes for an excellent spoken word poem. It can build tension and heighten the vibe just as easily as it can be sad and slow. Really nice job with that.

The second stanza is pretty genius. The way you jump from anger to anxiety is amazing. It really brings out the way this person must be feeling. Again, the rhymes are perfect. The third stanza is definitely the climax, if you were to speak the poem aloud. I can easily feel the emotions coursing through you and your audience. The caps at the end of the third stanza are great. It might be too much for some people, but I think it exposes the raw anger you're trying to portray.

I'm saying this poem in my head as I read it, trying to gauge the emotion-levels of each stanza. I'm imagining the speaker slowing down in the fourth stanza, letting the third slowly sink in. The fifth and sixth convey sadness and helplessness to me, almost as if the person is begging for someone to understand them, for someone to take a moment to realize what they're going through every time they hear a noise. It's heartbreaking, reading words like that. Whether this is a true story or not, you make it feel so real.

But soon I’ll snap, too.

Soon I’ll pop, too.

And still no one will understand why

And still I won’t be able to explain

And still we’ll end up where we began

With me dying and them not asking what.

I like that you bring back the snap-pop thing. It has a way of connecting the poem, and traveling in a full circle. The bolded line made me pause. It's the "what", I think. Maybe you meant to say "why"? I'm not sure. Maybe it's just me. It's a very emotional stanza, though.

The ending is amazing. It is the perfect ending for a spoken word poem. I can imagine the voice it would be said in, and everything.

I'm pretty sure I didn't breathe throughout that entire poem. Overall, I thought it was brilliant and unique. I've personally never read something about this syndrome, so it really opened my eyes to what the people around me might be going through. Really, really nice job.

I hope this review helped you out, and happy review day!
~Sevro

pendr says...

Thank you a ton! This meant a lot to me. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, could feel it, and learned something from it. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your analysis. :)
I agree that the last line you quoted is kind of off, but I don't want to repeat 'why' so soon, so I'll see what I can do.
Thanks again!

Sevro says...

No problem, and I understand! Thanks ;)

Kpfakeaccount wrote a review...

When a lot of young adults and teenagers write poetry, it is in order to vent. When poems are written like this, they feel like a scream or shout, whatever it is, because the poem isn't there to share, discuss, or convey - it is to release an emotion.
There will likely be some literary techniques and devices included. Repetition is usually a favourite. So are rhetorical questions, short/minor sentences. Onomatopoeia, oxymorons and paradoxes, and first person are all very common features in this sort of poetry, because it feels impressive. And whenever I read a poem like this, it's incredibly obvious that the poem is trying its hardest to impress me, rather than just be itself. And I feel like your poem suffers for it.

Unfortunately, I feel as if a lot of these lines are clunky. A lot of them begin with "Ands" and "Buts" that slow the writing down unnecessarily, and are unnattractive to look at visually. You could argue that this is an artistic choice, but just looking at the poem as a whole, reading through it just looks like a chore. I'd cut down on some of the repetition as well. A couple of uses makes your point already; you don't need to overdo it.

You also have some similes that don't entirely make sense. Your imagery with you being a burning forest, whereas everyone else is water is interesting by itself, as it makes you look like an antagonist. However, the rest of the poem just doesn't mesh with this, and you highlight the faults of the sound and the soundmakers as if they are an enemy, and the reader comes out confused over what point you are trying to make. You tack on three lines at the end, as if to calm the situation, but the inclusion of this stanza nullifies the rest of the poem. It's a little clumsy, and the audience simply doesn't know a. if you are trying to make a point, and if so, b. what point it is you are trying to make.

I do, however, enjoy the structure; it's irregular, but maintains this strange consistency so that you are familiar with how the different sections of the poem should and will play out. Even though I'd usually criticise over-use of very short lines, it somewhat gives this poem consistency, so I'd keep it. What I would change is the content. Creating these short lines with enjambment makes the short lines pointless, since they are just finishing a sentence. I'd be tempted to just let these short lines stand on their own as sentences.

There's more I could talk about, but I don't want to completely demoralise you. Overall, I think you can tell that in my opinion, this poem needs reworking in order to make it an outstanding piece; I'd give it a current rating of acceptable, which is by no means a bad place to be. It could be pushed so much further. The subject of sound is a hard one to tackle, since there are so many examples out there that have already masterfully discussed it through poetry. This is a noble, and for what it's worth, entertaining attempt.

Keep writing, keep moving on. Embrace the potential that your work could have.
Thankyou for the read
-Kieren

pendr says...

Thank you for your input :)
I understand what you're sharing and can see where some things may be problematic. Honestly, I'm not sure I agree with your opinion, which is good because opinions are good. I do agree, though, that I use 'and' and 'but' a lot. I think a factor in our differences is that I could read it differently than you, which is normal, too.
Still, thank you a ton :)

RippleGylf wrote a review...

A very interesting poem. I don't have misophonia myself, but this poem helps me understand it a bit, I think.

Because to me sound is red like a fire
Burning in my soul
And I’ll topple like a forest
And they’ll thrive like water.
To me sound is dark and dangerous.
To me sound kills.
This is probably the most emotional part of the poem. I can totally understand that mental exclusion from the rest of society by reading this stanza. It is probably my favorite part. :)

But soon I’ll snap, too.
Soon I’ll pop, too.
And still no one will understand why
And still I won’t be able to explain
And still we’ll end up where we began
With me dying and them not asking what.
I love how this stanza captures the lack of understanding from seemingly the rest of the world. "What" seems odd, but I'm sure that's just me not quite getting its purpose.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this, and I hope you keep writing poetry like it.

pendr says...

I agree that what is out of place there; I'm trying to fix that up :)

FortePiano says...

I liked this! It's a short little poem that's very nice for the sould. As is with most poems, there aren't many grammatical errors. I like the freeform style, along with the occasional rhyme. I'm one for patterns, but it's still nice to me. I like it! Keep doing what you're doing.

Wed May 25, 2016 12:57 am
Ashley123 says...

I liked this poem. I thought that it really expressed emotion that was inside you. It really portrayed the emotion and left a vivid picture in my mind. You are very poetic, and I hope that you continue down this path. Keep writing, never let anyone stop you. :)

pendr says...

Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it and got something from it.
I really appreciate the encouraging words, I really needed that :)

burninhell says...

I loved this! I personally have misophonia and I think that this poem represents how it feels to perfection. This is exactly how it feels to me anyways, and your wording is perfect. Long story short I love this poem!

pendr says...

Thank you! I was really hoping this would get the attention of some others who deal with this and open the eyes of people who haven't heard of it.
I'm so glad you were honest with me because it can be hard to tell people about misophonia sometimes. Thanks again!

You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time