z

Young Writers Society



Part 2: All The Mothers and Fathers

by omer


Hey! Please feel free to reply with a review. :)

Omer.

After the mother gave birth to me, I was sent by mail to the mother's mother's house. Not really, I'm kidding. You can't send a person in the mail. Sometimes I joke, but not much. Only when I'm in the right mood.

I don't remember how I was brought me here. Probably after the mother died (because she was alone on her trip to the dark hill with a pregnant belly and no one heard her screaming loudly on the mountain when I started to get out of her body), the mother's mother came, which is a grandmother. She got to Portugal on a plane.

In the meantime I have been in a place where babies are left if they have no one attached to them like a father or mother or brother or sister or other things.

There were two people, Delores and Javier, who found the mother who gave birth to me and me screaming and I was really dirty in the sand and abundant womb slime because I just got out of there, and they called an ambulance and the police and the fire department. Just kidding, they didn't call the fire department because there was no fire to sufficate. Except for me, that I am hot, that's what the mother's mother would say sometimes, when she joked like me when I'm in the right mood.

When she came to take me from Sao Miguel to her home here - which after that was our home. She also bought me with money all kinds of life stuff like clothes and food. She bought me one garment, which I still have now, a green coat. But I put it on my head instead of on my body because then it protects from the raindrops and it's also funny. A dual purpose is achieved. And if it's cold I put another coat on, because it's no longer possible to wear the green one that the mother's mother bought me, because it was when I had a small body like Yaron's and it doesn't fit me well anymore.

And then when the mother's mother died, the mother's mother's son took me. Or the first mother's brother. Yair. He was married to Delores, but not the Delores who found me and the mother with Javier on Monte Escuro, another Delores.

Then Yair was the father and Delores was the new (third) mother even though she was also the wife of the son of the mother of the mother or the wife of the brother of the first mother. But then there was no longer her as a mother, because Yair is gay so he loves men, and Delores is a woman, so it didn't work out. But it's okay, because there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

Delores still used to come sometimes to visit but usually it was just to say "Hello, wow, you grow up so fast!" and leave. She wasn't angry at Yair because it's not his fault that he is gay, so she also remained his girlfriend who is just a friend without the kisses, except for on the cheeck.

Then there was Avi, who was father second edition, at the same time there was father first edition. But it's not really true, because it was too late for me to suddenly have another father, so he's just Avi.

Avi and Yair were friends with kisses on the mouth, and then they also got married in the country where I was born - Portugal. We traveled there together but we didn't get to Monte Escuro even though I wanted to. When they were married we came back here again.

And all this time, since Avi was, there was Yaron, too, who is Avi's son. Yaron was two years old when Avi was here, and now he is six. When people ask me for my age I always say "ninety-three". I don't really know how old I am. They ask again and again and I keep answering "ninety-three". Eventually they all give up. I'll be ninety-three forever.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
160 Reviews


Points: 12700
Reviews: 160

Donate
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:39 pm
Valkyria wrote a review...



Hello omer,

I know, I know. I'm leaving two reviews on the same day, but I couldn't help myself. I really wanted to see where this was going.

With that, let's get started!

After the mother gave birth to me, I was sent by mail to the mother's mother's house.


That line was super funny! It really set the tone of the chapter.

I do find it interesting that the narrator calls his mother "the mother." Is it because he has no fondness for her?

Then Yair was the father and Delores was the new (third) mother even though she was also the wife of the son of the mother of the mother or the wife of the brother of the first mother.


There are so many relationships to follow that it confused me.

As I said before, I really like this writing style. It's really interesting, but I do agree with IcyFlame. The passive voice of the narrator makes it hard to get attached to the character. You still convey the mystery surrounding the narrator, though, so kudos to you!

Val




omer says...


Hey again, Val!
I find these reviews very helpful, so thank you!
The narrator calls his birth-mother "the mother" because he never really knew her. She died the minutes he was born. She is still his biological mother, so he considers her as "the mother" who gave birth to him.
I actually like how multiple relationships sounds more and more complicated every sentence, because it's part of the way character speaks and thinks, but youre right, it could be too much. I'll try to make it more understandble! :)



User avatar
1487 Reviews


Points: 154417
Reviews: 1487

Donate
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:46 pm
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hi Omer!

Icy here for a quick review :)

In the meantime I have been in a place where babies are left if they have no one attached to them like a father or mother or brother or sister or other things.

This line felt a little our of place in the narrative and I couldn't quite follow what you were trying to say here.

There were two people, Delores and Javier, who found the mother who gave birth to me and me screaming and I was really dirty in the sand and abundant womb slime because I just got out of there, and they called an ambulance and the police and the fire department.

I thought they didn't know how the grandmother found them?

Just kidding, they didn't call the fire department because there was no fire to sufficate.

Should be suffocate.

And then when the mother's mother died, the mother's mother's son took me. Or the first mother's brother. Yair. He was married to Delores, but not the Delores who found me and the mother with Javier on Monte Escuro, another Delores.

It's a bit confusing to have two people with the same name right at the beginning!

I don't really know how old I am. They ask again and again and I keep answering "ninety-three". Eventually they all give up. I'll be ninety-three forever.

I like this!

You've got a really interesting narrative voice here, which is very detached but somewhat comforting at the same time. It reminds me a little of Robinson Crusoe, and the manner in which that novel is related. It certainly draws the reader in at the beginning, but one thing I do remember from Robinson Crusoe is that it was harder to get as close to the character. I didn't get as attached to him and subsequently didn't care much what happened to him.

I also wonder how you're going to be able to convey tension with this voice as it's currently very passive. I look forward to see how you going about managing things like tension and action!

That's all from me, hope some of this was helpful for you!

Icy




omer says...


Thank you so much for the helpful review, Icy!
I can get now where are the too-confusing-parts that I should edit.



omer says...


Also, I get the fact it's hard to feel close with a passive-ish character. I won't say much, but I plan to make the narrator slowly open and be more relatable.



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 1612
Reviews: 31

Donate
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:45 pm
omer says...



Wrote "cheeck" instead of "cheek", oops!





*Sad football bagpipes*
— DougalOfBiscuits