z

Young Writers Society


Language

Chapter 2.3 Wake Up Call

by klennon14


(Ronnie still)

I am awoken by the sound of ringing. I have one of those mini-heart attacks where the lump in your throat nearly sinks into your chest, thinking something must be wrong inside of the facility, but then I realize it’s something from beneath my pillow.

“Ron?”

I’m curled up in a giant fleece throw, barely coherent at this time of morning. It’s six a.m.

I bring the receiver to my mouth. “Yeah?”

“Where have you been?” there’s an edge to Sarah’s voice, but she genuinely sounds sad. That’ not typical of her. Usually, Sarah could care less about where I am, what I’m doing or if I’m even alive.

“At Peyton’s,” I lie.

“All this time?”

I pinch the bridge of my nose and let out a breath.

“Yes, all this time. It’s only been a week, Sarah. What do you care? I’ve been a no show for weeks at a time before, and as long as the bills were paid you had no complaints.”

“It’s different this time, Ron. Dad has been gone for over two months. Something is wrong- something has to be wrong.”

“Who are you and what have you done to my sister?”

“Oh, c’mon. Give me a break- I’m not that heartless of a bitch.”

“Yeah, okay. Seriously though, what makes you say that?”

“No phone calls, no texts? That’s not like him. He’ll drop off the face of the earth once in a while, but he’ll at least tell us where he’s headed. Supposedly, anyway. I mean, there’s been no cash sent in the mail, no sign of Dad anywhere.”

“Why does that surprise you?” I stifle a yawn.

“It shouldn’t…I just…there’s this feeling in the pit of my stomach I can’t shake.”

“Did you eat anything yesterday?”

Sarah has always struggled with, what I would call, an undiagnosed eating disorder. It’s not like she’s anorexic, because she’s not skin and bones. She eats. Sporadically. I worry sometimes, because one day she’ll skip meals for the entire day, and the next day she’ll be gorging on an entire sheet cake from the bakery down the street. I’ve never known what to think of it, and whenever I try to approach her, she’s wasps it away. I suppose all I can do is keep an eye out for Sarah.

”Yeah…”

“Yeah?”

“No, actually…I didn’t. But I’m telling you, something is wrong. He may be a total flake of a father at times, but he’s not this far gone.”

“I think,” I mull over as I hear a knock at my door, “that it’s all in your head. Eat some food. Get some rest. Tomorrow it will be like you never felt this way, trust me.”

I cover the phone with my hand and tell Landon to come in.

“Shhh,” I urge as I pick the phone back up.

“Who is it?” Landon speaks just above a whisper.

“Is that a boy with you?”

I smack my forehead and give Landon the stink eye.

What have you done? I mouth.

“No, it’s the TV,” I try to smooth over this little blip.

“No it’s not. You’re lying,” I can picture Sarah’s goofy smile dancing on her lips as we speak. “You’re staying with a guy, aren’t you?”

“I’ll see you,” I try to dodge her accusations.

“But what about Dad-“

“-It’s all in your head. Food deprivation can really be bad for your health. I tookboth Psychology and Honors Health last year, and I know it for a fact. Eat something and you’ll be fine.”

“But, Ron-“

“Bye, Sarah.”

I cut off our conversation and turn on Landon.

“You just popped open the biggest can of worms for me you could possibly imagine,” I bury my head in my hands, defeated.

“Who was that?”

“My sister.”

“Since when do you have a sister?”

“Since God wanted me to suffer,” I mumble into my pillow.

“What’s she like?” he asks.

“Sarah? She’s a royal pain in the ass. But I still love her, somehow.”

Landon grins and plops down onto the bed, taking my hand in his.

“Of course you do. Because you’re such an all-around people-person.”

I smack him in the shoulder, and he fake-grimaces.

“She’s the only family I have, really. I don’t have much of a choice. I have to look after her, or else I’d feel like a complete scumbag of a sister.”

“She’s younger than you?”

“I wish,” I snort, “then it wouldn’t be as big of problems I’d have to deal with. She’s always screwing up something, but this time…it’s weird. She’s actually concerned about our father.”

“What happened to your dad?” Landon asks.

“It’s a long story,” I sigh, “but in a nutshell, my mom was a whore, he left her, and now he’s a total no-show. I mean, my dad takes care of us financially and everything. He puts a roof over our heads, he leaves us more than enough cash, but sometimes he goes MIA. He’ll just leave without a trace, just a text or two a week and that’s it.”

“I’m sorry,” Landon circles his thumb around my wrist.

“It’s not your fault,” I kiss his cheek, “but- I just don’t know. What Sarah’s said is bothering me now. Come to think of it, I haven’t heard from my dad in a few weeks. My attention’s been elsewhere…”

I wink, and Landon shakes his head.

“We’ve got a long day ahead of us,” Landon moves away from the bed and says, “get dressed and ready so we can get started. You don’t know half of what goes down here yet.”

“Aye, aye, Captain.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:58 am
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello!

So, I've reviewed one of the chapters in this ongoing novel. It seems to have that "sci-fi" feeling, drama and suspense all rolled into one. However, I feel like this chapter has a little too much dialogue. However, as the reviewer said below me, you provide some important info that can help this novel in the long run. I liked the interaction between Ronnie and everybody else- it creates that feeling that Ronnie likes to be friends with everyone, even though some wish to be away from her. There seems to be a flicker of hope for both Ronnie and Landon towards the end, I think. It provides a feel of how some people think about Ronnie- speaking of this, try using her thoughts at your advantage. The reader doesn't know what she is thinking throughout this novel. In most first person novels, like this one, the author would often add some insight into what the narrator is thinking. It could possibly provide some sort of questions/suspense/info for later chapters.

I am awoken by the sound of ringing. I have one of those mini-heart attacks where the lump in your throat nearly sinks into your chest, thinking something must be wrong inside of the facility, but then I realize it’s something from beneath my pillow.


The beginning of this chapter seems to be a little wordy. When something, like this, is a little wordy it doesn't make that much sense to the reader when they read it. For example: I think the reader can predict that Ronnie had a "mini heart attack" when the phone rang. I'm sure everyone, who has a phone, has had a mini heart attack when their phone rang unexpectedly. It's common sense, and a reflex.

There seems to be some dialogue tags without any real emotion to them. It sounds, to me, like robots conversing about the normal stuff. Perhaps add some characteristic to how your characters talk- it might help you in the long run. ;)

I worry sometimes, because one day she’ll skip meals for the entire day, and the next day she’ll be gorging on an entire sheet cake from the bakery down the street. I’ve never known what to think of it, and whenever I try to approach her, she’s wasps it away. I suppose all I can do is keep an eye out for Sarah.


This paragraph seems a little repetitive in my opinion. As I said before, the reader can predict that most likely Ronnie's going to be very worried about her friend (Sarah) not eating every once in a while. I'm sure most people do that- heck, I even do it. Another thing "wasps" isn't a verb, but in fact a noun. Maybe try "defers"?

Overall, as like most of your chapters I've read, they are full of rich, juicy information. This can help you in the long run when (if you plan on writing more chapters) you write more. I hope to see more of this work in the meanwhile.

If you like me to go over anything, let me know!

Steggy




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 1640
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:08 am
Senmaster wrote a review...



Hello Klennon14, it's Senmaster again.

Again, this piece is very, very good. We get a little a little more information about Ronnie and her family, and it really makes the reader curious about her father. I really feel that you should extend the chapter a little because your first chapter was so much longer, unless I'm missing something. Perhaps you could show a little more of her though process when she hears about her father, maybe an awkward silence between her and Landon as she gets lost in her thoughts, trying to trying to figure out if something might have happened to him. Maybe even at the end after the "aye, aye, Captain" you could say something about her still thinking about her father.

I also think that the romance between Landon and Ronnie, although demonstrating the feelings Landon has for her, takes away from the suspense being built up. Besides, I think that the speed in which their romantic relationship has taken off kind of goes against both character's personalities. Landon clearly has feelings for her but Dave wants him to stay away from girls. And then there's Ronnie who obviously has bitter towards her mother who she calls a "whore." So I really feel that such a rapid progression in their relationship really doesn't fit.

I also think that adding a little more about Landon's though process could help here, unless it's in the next chapter, because then by creating some curiosity within that character, you can produce curiosity in the reader.

I hope my review helped! Can't wait to keep reading




klennon14 says...


Thank you so much! This is a very helpful review, and I will think about all of your suggestions! :)




"If I see an American in real life or a kiwi in a blockbuster, it feels surreal and weird, and like a funny trip."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi