The Most Misunderstood Numbers In The Whole World

by kartikdevpura

Numbers. One of the 2 things that students hate most in their life. (The other thing that students hate most is broccoli.) Anyway, while numbers are really hated by the young, no one can really disagree that these numbers form an integral part of our lives and the universe in general. And yet, there are certain numbers that one can hate, discriminate against and hold prejudices to. And so ladies and gentlemen, I have prepared the 'The Most Misunderstood Numbers In The Whole World' list, comprising of the... well I assume you got it from the title.

1. 666

(The number that used to give us the shivers, but now we have seen it in too many horror films, so we're just bored.)

What in the universe is wrong with this number I have never understood. And yet I have been told this plenty of times- 666 is the number of the devil, the beast number, and what not. Where did the misinterpretations of this number rise from? So I did some research, and apparently in the Book of Revelation of the New Testament the number 666 is associated with the beast, an 'antagonistic creature that features in what we now call in the entertainment world as 'The Apocalypse'.

But check this, in China, 666 is considered a really lucky number. It means - 'everything goes smoothly'. You can always trust the Chinese to do something unusual.

Also, in my opinion 666 is a really cool number. Why? 'Cause 666 is the sum of the first 36 natural numbers. That means 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 35 + 36 = 666. So that's my take on this number.

2. Pi

(It just goes on and on and on...)

Now, Pi is a really famous number. You might recall hearing something about it in class 8 when you were half-asleep. Coming to the topic at hand, Pi is a very very unique number. Why? Cause it just keeps going on and on. Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. And that applies to all circles!

But why is it hated so much? Because this number has the capability to tie our mind into knots. Pi typically represents infinity. And like I have mentioned before, in infinity, anything goes.

Pi might just contain the latitudes and longitudes of ISIS's next attack, or could potentially possess the date of your death. And to think about that is well... needless to say a bit freaky.

I remember hearing a joke about Pi.

Pi and 666 were having a conversation-

Pi: Bro 666, you are so evil...

666: C'mon pi, be a little rational.

3. 6.02 x 10^23

(The number dreaded by all students.)

The number that brings goosebumps to chemists and scientists, and yet proves to students that even Walter White could make this concept utterly-butterly boring.

And this is like everywhere in chemistry. You open your book. BAM! It's there! And there ! And there!

The infamous Avogadro's number AKA mole concept. So apparently most of today's chemistry is based around this number. I don't really understand a lot of it so I won't explain it to all of you.

But I do know several jokes on this topic.

Question: What do you get if you cut an avocado into 6.02 x 10^23 pieces?

Answer: Avogadro

And other jokes like that.

4. 13

(The number after 12 and before 14. If that wasn't just obvious.)

I just don't get what is up people about this number. People are so scared. And then when we have Friday the 13th, and people just start losing their minds so quickly.

And I'm like there isn't going to be an apocalypse. 

Back to the topic, 13 isn't really such a bad number after all. In Italy, 13 means to 'hit the jackpot'.

Also, 13 is the age when you become a teenager.

That's pretty cool. Well, some of you will agree.

5. 1

(The loneliest number)

I feel sad for 1. Its so alone. I mean- what is the square of 1? 1. What is the square root of 1? 1. One is the most discriminated against number.

Question: Why did you go the washroom?

Answer: Number 1

And I want to blow my mind. I mean, we all hate 1. We hate seeing our phone battery at 1%, right? None of us like our favorite cricketer get out at 1 run. That's my point. I think we're being unfair to 1. Let's not do that guys. That's just bias, and we well... live in a democracy where we don't grant reservation to any person or number.

Don't get me wrong. All these numbers are awesome and all if talked about scientifically. I'm just saying that if we dig deeper, we'll find out that there might be some more truly evil numbers out there, y'know?

So what have we learnt? Don't discriminate against numbers or hold superstitions about numbers. Or people. Unfortunately, that is something we, the most intelligent beings of the world are really good at.

See you next time.

Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:55 pm
Monsters wrote a review...

There was so much potential in this article, but I feel disappointed. It is a decent article but really not what I had in mind -

I've taken most of the upper level classes in physics and math and I find some of the assertions here irresponsible. For example, pi is not a symbol of infinite because the numbers are infinite.. there are infinite numbers that contain infinite amounts of digits, such as (5/88) ect. It is not a unique number because it goes on and on, it is just unique. Not to mention you missed all of the interesting observations of pi and random-digit infinite numbers, take for instance that it would contain all combinations of numbers such as a jpeg encoded file, a random message encoded to ASCII ect.

The 666 symbol description has alot of fluff; I don't think your reader cares so much about how you didn't know what it meant. I think this should be purged;

What in the universe is wrong with this number I have never understood. And yet I have been told this plenty of times- 666 is the number of the devil, the beast number, and what not.
You could have talked more about numbers as symbols here, and how symbols mean different things in different places, maybe cited the significance of the swastika. The point is the article is dry, there is no information it that delves past common knowledge and so, it is a bad read.

then there's this

I don't really understand a lot of it so I won't explain it to all of you.

Isn't this the whole point of the article! Too explain? Also, I don't think you quite grasp how many constants there are for various different things. This is very far from the top used constants in my opinion. Not alot of people even took Chemistry in HS or Middle School and if they had, it might not be covered.Consider Eulers number, the golden ratio ect. this would be more geared to the audience because the post is about numbers and these constants are more math related.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:09 am
SINGHAM says...

The firing interest....

Unfortunately, that is something we, the most intelligent beings of the world are really good at.

Unfortunately, that is true.... :(

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:31 am
TheLittlePrince wrote a review...

Hola! I'm here to review your awesome article!
You raised points that everyone can connect with, yet, the article seemed slightly dragged. It wasn't as interesting as your previous one, which was inherently funny.

What I liked about your paragraph is the sedulous research that's gone into it.
But check this, in China, 666 is considered a really lucky number. It means - 'everything goes smoothly'. You can always trust the Chinese to do something ant-religious."
I'm sure you meant anti-religious and not ant-religious. In Chinese, 666 does denote 'things will go smoothly', but it's not a lucky number, it comes from a saying. They usually come in twos (66), but people tend to notice '666' more because of its Christian meaning. I'd recommend replacing "anti-religious" with something like "weird" because it may hurt the sentiments of others.

"I just don't get what is up people about this number. People are so scared. And then when we have Friday the 13th, and people just start losing their shit so quickly."
You use a curse word in this paragraph, as per the YWS guidelines an asterisk should be used to censor it.

I like how you tell that pi might contain solutions to unsolved mysteries. That did freak me out. This concept is very similar to the Infinite Monkey Theorem which "states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare." Good job here!

"But I do know several jokes on this topic.
Answer: Avogadro
And other jokes like that."

There is lot of scope for sarcasm in this paragraph, but you've hardly written anything funny. The first and second lines are barely needed and they just stretch the paragraph rather than adding any value to it.

"None of us like our favorite cricketers get out at 1 run. That's my point. I think we're being unfair to 1. Let not do that guys. Thats just bias, and we well... live in a democracy where we don't grant reservation to any person or number."
Here, you probably mean that we don't like our favourite cricketer to get out, you missed the to. Secondly it's that's not thats. Thirdly, you probably mean let's or let us and not let.

The end too seems very rushed, after such a splendid article, a rushed ending drastically spoils the effect. I'll also recommend that when you change the medium from a blog post to an article, you should tweak the content a bit according to that.

Sorry for being overcritical! You seem to have a great flair for writing satire and you certainly write very well! I loved this article and am looking forward to more stuff from you!

Thank you for your review! I appreciate your constructive criticism.
As far as the medium is considered, I admit I did pick this up from my blog, and I do agree that the whole article was a bit rushed.
About the grammatical errors, I'll correct them.
Once again, thanks for your review!

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:14 am
Abhipsa wrote a review...

Hello and welcome to YWS!

Your work was just awesome! Unlike an essay, which is quite boring generally, it was like an conversation that would appeal to anybody and everybody. You have made it all the more interesting by adding personal touches like the conversation between the numbers and the jokes. I also liked the way you associated infinity (pi) with ending the worries of people. Death and ISIS and death are after all worries, aren't they? The ending was especially great because the point you have there about how we humans act is.. well, a good ending, I feel.

But one thing I want to mention is when you are indirectly telling people how bad it is to be biased on things, you seem to be biased yourself. China is anti-religious, you wrote. That's very wrong. Just for a few lawbreakers you cannot condemn the whole country. Just look at their productivity, which is way better than any other country in the world. They are hard-working and dedicated people.

But anyway, you have a wonderful job to your credit :) .
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Keep writing! :)

Calling essays "quite boring generally" is a gross generalization. Secondly, an ellipsis has three dots%u2014 always. I know I am being a so-called Grammar Nazi but I just can't help it. Sorry!

The em dash that I added in the above reply was processed as a %-u-2014. Something due to Unicode... Please read it as an em dash.

Thanks a lot for your review!
Just one thing- by saying that you can trust the Chinese to to do something anti-religious, I was not condemning thee Chinese people.
It was a joke, albeit a very crude one.
I'll keep trying to improve.
Thanks again!

I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear