z

Young Writers Society


18+ Mature Content

tinder dates and the whole heart breaks.

by hyperview


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

Her:

In the stark darkness of his bedroom, she says, “Will you drop me off, or do I have to take a cab?”

There’s long, tight silence that comes from his end, though she doesn’t understand it since it’s a simple question, really. Most guys have been polite enough to drop her off (and even call her later), yet she’s sure she’d rather have a clean break with this one.

He said he was a businessman while they were chatting, often bragging about the things he’s accomplished in life and the things he hopes of doing with the girl of his dreams (which, admittingly, she hoped of becoming). But one look at his apartment told her this wasn’t the whole truth. He lives in the rougher parts of the city where broken beer bottles lie around and racoons rampage the dumpsters by apartment buildings. And his pad isn’t so much of a pad; questionable stains litter the old carpet and a stale stench hangs heavily in his room, stinking of something she can’t quite put her finger on.

Besides, she should’ve known right when he picked her up in a beat up Toyota and carried her ass to Pizza Hut instead of Milestones as promised. But his picture hadn’t falsely advertised, and the sex was okay, she guesses, though he could’ve done better on his end.

She hoists her head up on her palm, elbow digging into the pillow that smells of sweat, and lets out a deep sigh. She can feel his eyes on her so she knows he’s still awake, but he still doesn’t say a word. She pokes his face, his chest, his leg, but there’s no response. Giving up, she glances at the clock beside her.

Ten past twelve.

“Alright, well, I’m going to go,” she says, offering a last chance, but the man is adamant with his stillness. With one final sigh, she shuffles out of his uncomfortable mattress and prowls in the darkness for her underwear and dress. Once she’s zipped up and ready to go, she pads out the room and half-runs out the rundown apartment before he can change his mind.

Drunk men caress the cracked streets with old songs of love as she rings for the nearest cab to take her to safety. She waits for what seems like hours even though it’s only been five minutes, often looking up at his bedroom window in hopes that he’d be standing there watching over her.

But he never is, and she guesses she might as well spare herself the trouble and just delete his number. When the cab shows she slips in without looking back and goes on her phone right away, deciding if she should post the news on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or Tumblr. She settles on a tweet with a cute selfie of pursed lips and disheveled hair, captioning: what a bust (unamused face emoji) (loudly crying face emoji) but I still look cute though lol (waving hand emoji) hashtag winning.

She posts, stares, then decides to do the same thing on Instagram for the sake of a cute filter. Satisfied, she opens Tinder for the second time that night, swiping left through a blur of faces the whole ride home.

Him:

“Will you drop me off, or do I have to take a cab?”

He blinks for a moment, baffled (even though he really shouldn’t be) at the way she says it, like she’s done this so many times it’s become a norm. Any other guy would find it charming perhaps, but he feels almost insulted that she’s so ready to leave. Not that he had any cheesy plans for breakfast in bed like they do in the movies, of course, but isn’t staying the night a custom? A must?

He tries to find her in the dark though it’s useless, really, feeling foolish for turning off the lights in the first place. It didn’t do a damn thing since the sex wasn’t that great (she could’ve done better on her end, he believes), and it probably would’ve been worse if he wasn’t so baked right now.

The digital clock sitting on the night table glares ten past twelve in red, angry numbers. She breathes deeply and he almost feels the heat on his arm, a manifestation of her impatience. But he can’t decide what to say or how to say it, so he keeps her waiting for a little longer. Maybe if he stays still long enough, she’ll think he’s asleep and leave on her own so he won’t have to be the asshole in this.

Soon enough, he feels a soft finger on his face and his chest and his leg, poking three delicate times that it almost pulls a response out him. He bites his tongue and waits, silent, not even breathing until she says, “Alright, well, I’m going to go,” and sighs before sliding off the bed.

His mother taught him better than to let a woman escort herself home, especially at midnight. Even so, he doesn’t move an inch as he listens to her scramble for her things, zip up her dress, and pad out of the room. Just like that.

When the front door slams shut, he springs from the bed and goes straight to the window, peeking just enough not to be seen. He watches her from the darkness of his room, his heart leaping slightly any time she’d glance back at his window and lock her eyes with his, though he knows she can’t possibly see him. And he almost feels sorry, but still doesn’t stop her when her cab comes and she disappears inside, not even taking a second look for him to change his mind.

The yellow cab runs off into the distance, taking the first girl that has ever graced his bedroom in months with it. When he can’t even make out the shape of the cab anymore, he puts on some pants and a shirt and his broken sneaks, walking out of his home like he does every other night around this time. He goes all the way to his rotting Toyota where he keeps his extra stash of weed in the glove compartment, the thick smell of trash from the dumpster kicking his nostrils up until that moment where he unlocks the car, slips in, and slams the smell out.

And as the car slowly fills with thick haze the more he lights, smokes, and blows, the man thinks what a load of shit the words be yourself really are. Being himself has gotten him nothing and nobody, and being someone else has only proven to be worse, so what should he do? What should he do?

But it doesn’t matter anymore. It shouldn’t matter. What’s done is done, so he pulls his phone from his pocket and opens Tinder while he drags in and breathes out, swiping left continuously as puffs of smoke from his joint float through the crack of his window and dissolve into the starless sky.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:29 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



Well, crap. Go ahead and give me something really good to review, why don't you?

I love that we get this from both viewpoints, because from her viewpoint the guy looks like some hit-it-and-quit-it jerk, and from his viewpoint we see something mostly different. (Although in terms of how good or not good the sex was, I'm going to assume his view of it was skewed because he was baked at the time.)

I'm only vaguely aware of what Tinder is for, but based on the little knowledge I have...it seems odd to me that the female narrator was half-hoping from their earlier conversation to become the girl of his dreams. I mean...it's just about hookups, isn't it?

Of course, I like the fact that you show more of it than that--you show both their thoughts on not only how it went but also their own circumstances surrounding it. I guess I just think their expectations beyond a hookup are a bit...maybe not even odd. Just hopeless.

But also it seems like that was the point.

Otherwise, I have no suggestions to make about this. I enjoyed reading it, and I think the use of two different viewpoints worked really well.

Blue




User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:34 am
View Likes
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello!

Steggy here for a review!

My goodness o-o.

I quite dearly enjoyed this piece as for me, kinda reflects on human nature today. I especially liked the different point of views of the date, then at the end, they continue on with their lives as if it never happened. Another thing, is how they have different lifestyles and we can fully see what is going on in their minds throughout this little short piece. As the reviewer said before me, there are some little grammatical mistakes that can fixed easily with a read over.

At the end of the short story, it seems to get a little lost with a little run-off here and there. For that I would just suggest putting a period. When you mix and match up the sentences, it creates a little rhythm for the reader when they are reading it.
You seem to create some nice little characters, even though we know nothing about their lifestyles or such. We do know that he guy was a businessman and does the dos badly, and the girl just wanted someone to be there. But by the end of the night, they are both going back to what they have done.

The girl seems to be the common girl on tinder-- like a hooker basically. You settled a nice description of her and how the guy is left alone once more. Sadly, the guy resolves this by smoking.

Overall this was a nice, little piece. From what I read from you, this is a promising piece for the future. If you like me to go over anything, let me know!

Steggy




User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:30 am
View Likes
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Hyper! This is the first time I've seen you post something! Anyway, though you are my friend, I'm here to review! And, I promise, I wont be harsh!
Anyway, I REALLY enjoyed this piece. Although, admittedly, it is about... Intimacy, which, usually, is a thing I'm not comfortable reading, I still rather enjoyed it!
So, first off, I found very few grammar errors(Which are REALLY MINOR) except for this piece in the third to last paragraph.
"When he can’t even make out the shape of the cab anymore, he puts on some pants and a shirt and his broken sneaks, walking out of his home like he does every other night around this time. He goes all the way to his rotting Toyota where he keeps his extra stash of weed in the glove compartment, the thick smell of trash from the dumpster kicking his nostrils up until that moment where he unlocks the car, slips in, and slams the smell out."
In the first part, you have three different sentences combined into one. To me, it seems kind of comma spliced. You could have easily separated this into two sentences."When he can't make out the shape of the cab anymore he rushes to put on some pants, a shirt, and his broken sneaks. He proceeds to walk out of his home like he does every other night around this time." I find that to seem more... Well, seems to have a better flow, and doesn't seem so choppy.
The last part is... Well, has the same problem. It seems in this paragraph you were rushing it. it would have seemed better as,"He goes all the way to his rotting Toyota; where he keeps his extra stash of weed in the glove compartment. The thick smell of the dumpster kicks his nostrils up until the moment he unlocks the car, slips in, and slams the smell out."
To me that would be an easy way to fix the comma splices! But, HEY!, it's your story!
I can't wait to read more from you Hype! You really are a good writer!
Sincerely- MatthewAaron.




hyperview says...


Thanks, Matt. :D I honestly expected so much more mistakes since I did this late at night, and yeah, I totally agree with what you said above. I'll get to editing those soon enough. ^-^



Casanova says...


No problem!




Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon