12+

the "ramblings through time" collection

by chrysanthemumcentury

three am ramblings (what makes beauty, & why can't i have it?)

written june twentieth

why do we care so much about beauty? artificial beauty, applicable beauty, natural beauty, and i could keep going. it's like we're infatuated by this construct that is made from unfounded reasons. there's no real metric of what's conventionally attractive and/or beautiful, so why do we automatically know what's inherently beautiful? and furthermore, what does it mean to be beautiful? are we only talking about personality, and is that a component of beauty or something else? because i've met beautiful people who are quite ugly and vicious on the inside but they are considered beautiful, so i imagine that cruelty is okay as long as you keep up your appearances. social structures made of meaningless attributes, how long will it take to break?

early-morning ramblings

written june eleventh

television is so odd, because who's going to know if i like some of these shows on the air, and why have live television when there's already streaming services? humans wait for menial things but they are not the ones who make their decisions, higher powers are often the answer. we use higher powers to explain unknowns, but that only works for so many things. because if there is a higher power, i condemn it for making so many terrible things in life like famine or war. so with that being said, who is the modern-day pandora?

mid-afternoon ramblings

written june twentieth

what does it mean to be truly alive? i know that i'm breathing and pumping blood every second but what makes me alive? is it my emotions? is it the fact that i cry my eyes out every single time i think i've done wrong and i don't get my way? i'm easy to cry but even easier to anger. do my screams make me a civil human being? is it the fact that i'm always talking about this and that and standing up for the underdog? i scream so often yet i'm always trying to lend a hand. maybe my empathy makes me a pure, saintly person. i know for a fact that i'm always trying to do things wholeheartedly and generously. but maybe aside from my emotions, it's my experience that makes me alive. i've been to a few states, swam in the ocean, and done many hikes. but maybe aside from emotions & experience maybe it's my writing that makes me alive. i've written about two hundred poems yet i'm still insatiable. maybe that's what's human about me. the fact i am never satisfied with what i am or what i've done. the fact that i can always be more. be more kind. be more empathetic. be more beautiful. be more loud. be more quiet. be more well-behaved. be more of what i'm not. because i'm always told to be this and that, and i think it's getting to me.

Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:48 pm
EllieMae wrote a review...

Hey Herb <33 Ellie here to write a review for these ramblings! I hope you are having a great day! Let's get right into the review:

First of all, I really love the relaxed style of this piece, without capitalization. The style of the format is also wonderful, organized in these paragraphs and separated by dates.

why do we care so much about beauty? artificial beauty, applicable beauty, natural beauty, and i could keep going. it's like we're infatuated by this construct that is made from unfounded reasons

I enjoyed how you began each paragraph with a question, then expanded upon it in a very free style sort of way. To me, it felt like a constant stream of consciousness, just letting you get all of your thoughts out without stopping. It is this type of writing that really feels like therapy to write, and can be very relatable to read. I noticed that you ended each paragraph with question, except for the last one. To me, this sort of represents some sort of closure, or finally falling asleep for the night.

I absolutely loved this ending:

i've been to a few states, swam in the ocean, and done many hikes. but maybe aside from emotions & experience maybe it's my writing that makes me alive. i've written about two hundred poems yet i'm still insatiable. maybe that's what's human about me. the fact i am never satisfied with what i am or what i've done. the fact that i can always be more. be more kind. be more empathetic. be more beautiful. be more loud. be more quiet. be more well-behaved. be more of what i'm not. because i'm always told to be this and that, and i think it's getting to me.

This felt a bit like a motivational poetic speech. You can always be more. You can always be more not just of 'being more' but also more of the human that others see you as and who you are expected to be. The ending gives a sense of peace with the present, though the present isn't peaceful. I found this to be written pretty imply, easy to read, but deep and thought provoking. Wonderful job!

Your friend,
Ellie :D

Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:03 pm
TheRebel2007 wrote a review...

Hey there, herbalhour! Rebel here for a short review!

I think this is more of a personal sort of work or ramblings, in your words. So, the review will just be my commentary to your paragraphs.

herbalhour wrote:three am ramblings (what makes beauty, & why can't i have it?)

written june twentieth

Ah yes, the ever-so arduous question of the origins of beauty, and what beauty truly is. In my opinion, the concept of beauty - let's be honest here - emerged from evolutionary needs. Beauty, in comparison to humans (at least in the earliest times), was probably decided by how reproducible you look, i.e., how likely you are to be able to reproduce healthy offsprings. Then, I remember reading a chapter in my school Psychology book about how evolutionary trends in early hominids affected our sense of beauty and taste - like, looking at nature will always soothe your eyes because that's what we were used to in the ye olde days. But well, senses of beauty like cuteness and creepiness - for some biological reason that I forgot - are dependent on individual experiences. So yes, beauty truly depends on the eyes of the beholder, it's scientifically accurate.

herbalhour wrote:early-morning ramblings

written june eleventh

I mean, I know this is an early morning text-dump but I laughed when I read the first sentence. But yes, I agree with you about the higher powers. I believe that if there's an omnipotent higher power, they are definitely not a benevolent guy. Like, if the supposed higher power is omnipotent, they can erase all suffering from the world. Some might argue: but that entails erasure of freedom too! Well, I argue back, if they are indeed omnipotent, they will definitely find a way to maintain freedom while eliminating all suffering. How? - You may ask, my answer: I am not God, I dunno.

herbalhour wrote:mid-afternoon ramblings

written june twentieth

what does it mean to be truly alive? i know that i'm breathing and pumping blood every second but what makes me alive? is it my emotions? is it the fact that i cry my eyes out every single time i think i've done wrong and i don't get my way? i'm easy to cry but even easier to anger. do my screams make me a civil human being? is it the fact that i'm always talking about this and that and standing up for the underdog? i scream so often yet i'm always trying to lend a hand. maybe my empathy makes me a pure, saintly person. i know for a fact that i'm always trying to do things wholeheartedly and generously. but maybe aside from my emotions, it's my experience that make me alive. i've been to a few states, swam in the ocean, and done many hikes. but maybe aside from emotions & experience it's my writing that makes me alive. i've written about two hundred poems yet i'm still insatiable. maybe that's what's human about me. the fact i am never satisfied with what i am or what i've done. the fact that i can always be more. be more kind. be more empathetic. be more beautiful. be more loud. be more quiet. be more well-behaved. be more of what i'm not. because i'm always told to be this and that, and i think it's getting to me.

Ah yes, the good ol' fascination about what is life. If you ask a biologist - Anything that adapts and reproduces is a living being. And yet, if you ask a biologist, "what is life?" - Their honest reply would be, "Nobody knows" - and yes, nobody truly knows what life is. Some physicists say life is but quantum effects doing some shenanigans, chemists say life is but a chain of reactions, philosophers say [insert philosophical ramblings here]. It'd be a while before we get to know what life truly is, perhaps we will never know - and yet, I believe what makes us truly human and truly alive is the fact that we'll never stop wondering. As long as humans have a thinking mind, I believe that we'll be alive. Cogito ergo sum.

Anyway, that's all for this review (honestly it was me rambling along with your rambling but eh, who cares?). Keep writing! :p

P.S.: This review was brought to you by Team Tortoise.

Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:26 pm
chrysanthemumcentury says...

@Spearmint >.>

Spearmint says...

herbal ramblings !!

why do we care so much about beauty?

goooooood question

do my screams make me a civil human being?

the words and the assonance with "screams" and "being" >>>

because i'm always told to be this and that, and i think it's getting to me.

</3 <3

#longlivebigbrother
— alliyah