To School

by hashes

It was spattering when I left for school,
As rain drops deigned to meet brackish puddles,
And as the stencils on my man-made ride,
Traced crocodiles from mud like God or Man.

Yes, I was looking out my glass window,
And should have dropped into a reverie -

When I saw more; a spindly, freckled boy,
About seven, adorned by no mithril,
But still a knight in his own right, daring -
To slay those scared and static beasts of mud,
Mirthful and without a care for himself.

A few hundred yards past came the quarry,
Infested with workers, listless and gaunt,
Dragging crushed granite, not unlike their dreams,
For which they spent their blood and paid their flesh,
Since cheated of all that makes one a man -
O! To think how brutish some men can be.

And now, with every metre of black asphalt,
I felt a guiltless guilt batter my heart,
That stung like spiders mangling me in hell,
And then I saw why - I was the villain.

Haraya wrote a review...

Hey Ashwin! Haraya here with a review.

The way I understood this poem is it's about a lack of consciousness of the priviledge a student has. There were implications of a divide between the speaker and the people in his surroundings through out your poem.

In the first stanza, there was a hint of a divide from the way you described the raindrops. You also described your vehicle as having a God-like ability to create crocodiles from mud. This shows the speaker having some superiority.

In the third and fourth stanzas, it is shown that the other people do not share this superiority with others. The speaker observes a child happily playing in the mud. They also notice workers in a quarry, who needed to exert their energy and effort to live--to make themselves a man.

As the speaker passes by these scenes, the speaker realizes their advantage and feels guilty of not being guilty, hence thinking themselves as a villain.

In my opinion this message is successfully conveyed to readers.

What I want to critique on particularly is word choice and the flow of the poem.

At first, the fourth stanza threw me off. It was very sudden since the speaker had just passed by a boy playing in the mud. I think it's also unexpected for someone to find a quarry on their way to school. It made me wonder about the setting. Was this supposed to be medieval (because you used the image of a knight)? In that case, I think the quarry would be more believable, but it still feels a bit out of place. I suggest look for a better setting that feels organic with the rest of the poem.

I think the sudden images of mangling spiders and hell in the last stanza weren't appropriate. It disrupted the mood of the poem. I think you placed it there to describe the guilt you experienced but I think it wasn't successful. It is impossible, if not difficult for a reader to understand what it feels to be mangled by spiders in hell. I suggest use a different image that will be more vivid to a reader.

That's all I wanted to say! By the way, welcome to YWS! Hope you enjoy it here! Hope my review helps you out!

hashes says...

Thanks for your review Haraya! Always glad to benefit from a fresh perspective. I agree with you on some points; there's certainly scope for improvement. Maybe I'll work on adding another stanza in the middle so that the different scenes segue better.

Haraya says...

Haraya says...

Oops, I forgot to make this a review again.

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:11 pm
LittleLee wrote a review...

Hi! I'm Lee, and here to review your poem!

It was amazing, really well-written and thought provoking. However, there are a few things I'd like to point out before I begin complimenting individual lines and aspects.

I don't think there need to be commas in this entire stanza, because the last three lines continue the sentence being formed in the first. There definitely should not be a comma after "ride".

And should have dropped

Just my own opinion; I think "would" would sound better than "should". It would also enhance the impression that you're about to carry on what you're doing every day while ignoring what happens in your environment.

Infested with workers

The following lines actually go on to make the reader sympathize with the workers, so I don't think the word "infested" is suitable. It's usually associated with pests or some such vermin. Since you seem to be saying that the workers are to be pitied, I wouldn't use this word.

I understand what you mean to say here, but it sounds more like they're dragging their dreams; in the sense that they are still holding on to their dreams. or is that what you meant to say in the first place?

That stung like spiders

Spiders don't sting, they bite, so this line loses a part of its charm. Perhaps you could say scorpions or wasps? It's a good alliteration, but doesn't make complete sense.

And then I saw why

What did the narrator "see" to make them realise? Wouldn't they know?

Okay, that's all.

Amazing diction. Your vocabulary is impressive, and you've strung words together with the flair of an experienced poet. I also loved the powerful imagery and sounds.

This is a wonderful line. It's quite thought-provoking. To me, it meant the boy was poor or otherwise hampered, but he was happy even so.

Well said, well said.

It's a really good poem, I'm glad you chose to share it with us. It made me realise how grateful I should be to have what I have, and many other things besides. I hope you keep putting up poems of the same calibre as this one.

hashes says...

Really comprehensive review and all very valid points! You are right in that I sometimes compromise meaningfulness in the pursuit of more eloquent prose/verse. I should certainly be more mindful of that! I'm flattered that you liked it as much! Thank you very much.

Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:06 am
mythh wrote a review...

Hey Ashwin! Welcome to YWS! I'm Myth and I'd like to drop by and give you a review.

I felt that through this, you're trying to express how you just watch things happen around you every day, but cannot do anything about them or sometimes you're unable to appreciate things the way you should.

I'd like to start by saying that pain cannot be compared. What I'm saying is probably random and slightly out of context with respect to the poem, but pain is simply, well, pain. It may be different in form, but it's felt the same. I think one of the biggest problems in the world is that people take their struggles as some kind of competition and victimize themselves. Here of course, you're antagonizing yourself and doing the opposite. I wish to convey that sometimes, it just is how it is.

Moving on, I really like how you described these little things happening while travelling on the road.

About seven, adorned by no mithril,

This is just so descriptive and full of perspective that I feel like I've seen this myself (I probably have, but these lines just make sure that I'll actually acknowledge these things happening the next time they do.)

I really liked this poem. It was like a peek inside your head? It was fun.

That's about all.

KEEP WRITING!!!!

Yours sincerely,
Myth :D

hashes says...

Hey there! Thanks for your review. Means a lot. I don't post many creative works online (well, for a start - there aren't many!), so I wasn't sure whether other people would be able to understand, relate or enjoy any of my works. But it seems like you were able to do all of that. That's really encouraging!

mythh says...

Anytime!

I love how we all band together to break things...
— Kelpies