12+

Dark Side of the Coffee Machine- Chapter 3: Cafe

by foxmaster

It was a lousy morning, it seemed as if the sun had risen on the wrong side, south perhaps. As Gilberto dragged himself into the café emo-ly. He crept all the way to the high table, where he sat down and stared at the wood. There was something about its texture that bothered him. He did not know if it was the structure of the lines or the feel of his hands against it.

Ding, ding!

The door opened and Kaylee entered the cafe as well. She was covered in eyeball-scorching pink, , all over her. As if that wasn't enough, she was wearing so much make-up that she looked like a zombie. Her lashes were smothered in mascara, while the purple lipstick looked terrifying in combination with the green eye shadow. Not to mention the red blush that gave her a ghostly look. Gilberto cringed and immediately grabbed the stool he was sitting on.

Suddenly, Ellie walked in. While Kaylee looked hideous, Ellie looked hot.  She was wearing a shoulder-less dress, and a large hat. While Kaylee was wearing a huge amount of makeup, Ellie was wearing a small amount, just lipstick and that stuff you put on eyelashes. Ellie looked like a model. 

Kaylee joined Gilberto at his seat at the table, and Ellie joined them, sitting in the middle of the two so they wouldn't argue. May quickly joined them, and collapsed next to her. 

Kaylee pursed her lips, batted her eyelashes, and said, "uwu!"

Ellie groaned, and Gilberto's eyebrows skyrocketed. 

"What can I get for you?" asked a waitress quickly walking up to the group.

"Uh.... Hot chocolate, with extra marshmallows!" yelled Kaylee.

"Black coffee. NO CREAMER!" yelled Gilberto.

"A health smoothie, and crasins." said Ellie calmly. "Nothing for the maid." 

"Yes, yes, yes!" said the waitress, walking back to the kitchen.

The moment she left, everyone began to argue.

"I know what happened with the dog!"  Yelled Gilberto. "The dog-cat-human-spy hybrid!"

Everyone blinked.

"Um," said Ellie. "Please don't start this again."

"Don't make things up! Princess Paws is mine!"

Ellie sighed, right before the waitress walked up, and served them their drinks.

"SHE IS NOT YOURS, IDIOT!!!" screamed Gilberto.

"NUH-UH!"

"UH-HUH!!!"

Ellie laid her head on the table, exasperated.

"NUH-UH! YOU DON"T KNOW ANYTHING-"

"SHUT UP!!!"

Everyone gasped, and turned to Ellie. "DON"T ARGUE!"

Suddenly, the owner of the cafe walked up to them.

"Sorry, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," he said.

"FINE!" Ellie yelled. She was done. She hadn't gotten sleep in days, thanks to the two continuously voice mailing her in the middle of the night. 

"I'm taking my coffee!" She hurled the crasins across the room, and stalked out of the cafe.

"MAY. We're leaving." 

May sighed.

Stickied -- Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:20 pm
foxmaster says...

By the way, this part:

Ding, ding!

is written by @Rinisha, she helped me describe it and stuff.
Just letting y'all know.

Hey fox, Icy here for a quick review this evening!

Let's get right on into it :)

It was a lousy morning, it seemed as if the sun had risen on the wrong side, south perhaps.

I love this line, humour but also very prescriptive.

As Gilberto dragged himself into the café emo-ly.

This isn't a sentence on its own. Did you mean to have a comma here instead?

Suddenly, Ellie walked in. While Kaylee looked hideous, Ellie looked hot. She was wearing a shoulder-less dress, and a large hat. While Kaylee was wearing a huge amount of makeup, Ellie was wearing a small amount, just lipstick and that stuff you put on eyelashes. Ellie looked like a model.

I like how you've kept these descriptions simple to make it clear that they're coming from Gilberto's perspective.

I think you convey the exclamation/shout quite well with both the dialogue tag and the exclamation mark. I'm personally not a fan of all caps in novels/stories because it takes me out of the experience of reading and it seems more of a joke than a piece of prose!

Overall I enjoyed this, but definitely agree with Rinisha's point below about the lots of caps shouting. I think you can achieve the same effect with it being a little less jarring using the dialogue tags and exclamation points you've already got in.

I also really liked the characters - I think they balance each other out well!

This was a fun read. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day,
Icy

foxmaster says...

thanks for the review! (@Rinisha actually helped out with me for he beginning, to add more detail in it and stuff, just to let you know :))

EllieMae says...

"Ellie looked like a model"

why thank you!
-Ellie Mae

ps: i love this haha!! ill try to review when i have more time!!

foxmaster says...

:)

AmayaStatham wrote a review...

Salutations, Foxmaster!

Rinisha here, ready to dive into the pages of this intriguing story. 📚!

Buckle up, 'cause we're diving into my review magic! ✨

The Good Stuff:

First of all, let's talk about the parts that really rocked!

I’m glad to see that you’ve kept the humour in the story. (Most of all, I’m happy you kept my title) I like the idea you're exploring and until now you did a good job. I think the boss is still my favourite character.

Areas to Improve:✒️

You can place more descriptions and give your story more depth:

For example:
Before:
It was morning, and Gilberto walked into the café emo-ly. He skulked all the way until he got to the tall table, where he sat down and glared at the wood.

ding, ding!
The door opened, and Kaylee walked in. She was layered with eyeball scorching pink, everywhere. As if that wasn't enough, she was wearing so much makeup, she looked like a zombie. Gilberto cringed.

After:

Ding, ding!

The door opened and Kaylee entered the cafe as well. She was covered in burning pink eyeballs, all over her. As if that wasn't enough, she was wearing so much make-up that she looked like a zombie. Her lashes were smothered in mascara, while the purple lipstick looked terrifying in combination with the green eye shadow. Not to mention the red blush that gave her a ghostly look. Gilberto cringed and immediately grabbed the stool he was sitting on.

These are simple suggestions and not meant to hurt you in any way. They are simple to provide insights on how to improve your writing.

I have the feeling that your writing style consists of a lot of exclamation marks and capital letters. And a lot of shouting. I would suggest that you try to put some clothes on your writing, like some more descriptions and proper dialogue.

This part supports my above statement well:
"NUH-UH!"
"UH-HUH!!!"
"NUH-UH! YOU DON"T KNOW ANYTHING-"
"SHUT UP!!! "

Nailed It!💐

I like your name choices a lot. I have noticed that you choose names which really fit their personality. For example, May is a rather quiet girl while Kaylee seems like a screaming name which her personality screams too. With her make up and her dress. (Love the picture you chose btw.)

Overall Feelings:

I think you have a lot of creative ideas and you have the capability of writing amazing stories. I would just suggest to keep in mind that maybe you can also try and write without a lot of capitals and exclamation marks, but still create something wonderful. These are simple suggestions and not meant to hurt you in any way. They are simple to provide insights on how to improve your writing. I really like your concept and idea, and I would definitely recommend you to continue this novel if that's what you like too.

Be sure to check out…📔🔖

Prologue - The Passion Forest by @CarrotWrites

These are two paragraphs out of the story. In these paragraphs you can see that the author really coloured the story and has used vivid descriptions to make clear what they mean. If you take a look at some of the authors' works maybe it can help you too.

But on the other hand… The Passion Forest. She could learn, she could learn it all. How to become the best-selling, Nobel-prize winning, and above all, admired and valued author of her dreams. She could make friends, even. And from what she could tell, it wasn’t just any normal school, but a school in the forest instead, a school where teachers are wise, a school for kids to do their favorite thing everyday, a school supported by, what Elora had seen, magic.

She looked around at the succulent and fragrant leaves hanging high on the trees' spindly yet lush branches. The baby blue sky swarmed with ashen clouds that Elora envisioned as dragons, the air was the smell of sunlight, redolence wind rustling the leaves. Magically, leaves from each tree fluttered off their boughs and billowed past the students, who all ogled in the direction the leaves were scurrying. The greenery gathered whilst students gasped and observed with open-mouth as it shaped a long oval, blowing away then forming a woman—her sparkling sapphire eyes opened, silver hair flowing over her shoulder, smiling so lively and coruscatingly, everyone encompassing felt appeased. Different colored lights united in from behind the scholars and danced in the air as they turned into the faculty, standing behind the smiling woman, each looking thrilled as they surveyed the myriads of students. For a moment, the forest was hushed.

Have a nice day or night further! Keep writing! You are amazing!

Amazingly yours,
Rinisha
– Be yourself and keep writing! 📖🎉

foxmaster says...

thanks for the review! I'll make the changes!

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare