Pop punk song in C#

by Willard

A/N: Really fun but dumb satire I wrote.

Let's turn up my TV from 2008 to full volume,
kick over the chair,
yell about how much I despise you,
DEBORAH
and sleep past mid afternoon.

"Be lively."
"Be out there."
"You don't have to change."
"Change."

Let's take a walk to the capital,
fall asleep on the bench,
listen to MCR (your least favorite band)
then talk about our problems.

I know I can't fully help,
but I sure as hell can try,
by writing you a pop punk song
using only one chord.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:07 pm
Scribble wrote a review...

I really like this, it pokes fun at pop punk, which whilst i do enjoy listening to, i see where you come from. Just remember not all bands are like that. But i did find this quite funny, i'm not the kind of person to get offended by harmless humor.

MCR happens to be one of my favourite bands, and i would urge you to give them a wider listen, check out all their albums. You may be surprised. I'm always open to listen to new bands myself, what are you into?

Anyway, this poem was fun to read and i cant wait to read more. You have a lot of talent :)

- Scribble

Willard says...

I like punk, mostly. My favorite bands are Neutral Milk Hotel (lo-fi folk), Bomb the Music Industry!/Jeff Rosenstock(punk), Andrew Jackson Jihad (folk punk), Pat the Bunny (folk punk), Reel Big Fish (ska-punk) , The Front Bottoms (folk-pop-punk) and some smaller artists I'm fond of but can't call them my favorites.

I have tried MCR before, and I can't get into them. I can't get into other bands such as Panic! At The Disco, Black Veil Brides, among others. Seeing that you do like a bit more pop focused punk, I do want to recommend The Alkaline Trio.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITjI1-Wb_Y4

Along with The Front Bottoms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XII7af9SrLI

Scribble says...

Ahh, you have good taste. I will give those a listen.
I enjoy many genres of music all the way from Lady Gaga to Of Mice and Men and then anything in between. I do already like Alkaline Trio, and Brand New are really good, i recommend them. I like it when its loud, messy and has some good lyrics.

I would recommend Milk Teeth aswell, they are relatively new, but I first heard them live at a FIATC concert, and they are great.
Thanks for giving me some new stuff to listen to though :)

- Scribble

Rook wrote a review...

hi strange!
I saw this still in the green room, so I thought I'd lift that for you.
I really like this. Sometimes your satires leave me just confused if a little amused, but this one struck me as a rather intelligent one too (but most likely I just don't understand your references in the others, and it's not that they're not intelligent, I probably just don't get them).
I think this is intelligent in its nonintelligence, as it's making fun of the inane classic pop punk song.

I'm curious as to why this is saying "let us." Why would someone want to yell about how much the other person despises them? Am I interpreting this wrong? What I mean, is it sounds like person 1 hates person 2, but they're still doing all this stuff together. I'm curious as to why.

I like how there's two references to sleeping, because during the classic pop punk song, sometimes you're just on a trip to snoozeville.

I like the one chord reference at the end. Pretty much every song is written with four chords. It would be even more repetitive with one chord, and the idea of literally only having one chord the entire song makes me laugh. XD I'm imagining someone speaking in a monotone and strumming the same chord on their guitar over and over again. Good job there.

Even thought this is supposed to be making fun of the shallowness of pop punk songs, I'd love to see just a little more... maybe unintentional depth? I don't know how to explain this. Like you didn't mean for something to actually mean something, but it does. Maybe you already have that and I missed it. But hey. That's my advice.

Well I hope this helped somehow. It's always hard to review your poems. ^^

Great job, keep writing!
~fort

ThePhoenix says...

NO! YOU CAN'T SAY MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE IS MY LEAST FAVOURITE BAND! THAT IS A COMPLETE LIE! THEY ARE THE BEST! MCR AND FOB = LIFE!

:D

Willard says...

I do not like either of those bands.

ThePhoenix says...

NOOOOOOOOOO!
Well as long as you don't hate them, then it's all good.

Willard says...

Well...

ThePhoenix says...

...NO!

I don't understand your obsession with Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance...

I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU SO SHUT UP!

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:27 am
carbonCore says...

urg. I keep looking at this and thinking it refers to the programming language C#. I would LOVE to see punk written in a programming language.

Morrigan says...

HOW CAN YOU DISLIKE MCR
NO

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:05 am
RubyRed wrote a review...

Hello Strange, Wonderwoman here again. I don't have much to say so, good job. :) I don't have a lot on criticizing but I would recommend capitalizing the first word of every sentence because that's a standard in English. I was a bit confused here but I think I get a little. This was pretty cool and I don't have anything else on this so, keep writing and NEVER get discouraged!

~\/\/onder :D

Willard says...

Pop punk song in C#
Please, read the links I send you. It'll help.

I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.
— Roald Dahl