z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

XY

by Sujana


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

XY.

(The following passage tells the story of X and Y, two infamous internet pranksters who reportedly were tied into a bet—whoever could shock the other with one prank would’ve been crowned the King of Pranks. We see their tale through their texts and YouTube comments, as both live continents away from each other, and for the sake of privacy we’ve used their usernames instead of their real ones.)

Saturday, 14th of April, 2013. On Y’s “COBRA DINNER SURPRISE” video:

“Rubber snakes. Funny.” –X.

“I thought you’d appreciate it.” –Y.

“It’s a classic, I know. Though to be honest, it’s quite overdone.” –X.

“I prefer your more convoluted schemes.” –X.

“Well, yes, but it grows cumbersome after some time.” –Y.

“It doesn’t need to be convoluted to produce the intended results, anyway. The trick here, old chap, is not in the concept, but the execution. Concepts are cheap. Anyone can come up with an original idea—but only the best of the best can revive the pleasure and excitement of an old one.” –Y.

“Stop philosophizing, this is YouTube, damn it. Put that masterpiece in a book, not a garbage dump.” –X.

“I will when you stop typing in full sentences, honey.” –Y.

“Don’t call me honey.” –X.

“Why not? It fits you so well. Because you’re exceptionally sweet xx.” –Y.

“Flirt.” –X.

“Oh, come now, you know you want me.” –Y.

“You’re not my type.” –X.

“Neither are you. Though I’m willing to make exceptions xx.” –Y.

“I think I liked you better pretentious than seductive.” –X.

“Oh, so it’s working on you then, sweetheart?” –Y.

“Shut your mouth, you condescending twat.” –X.

“:( .” –Y.

“You hurt me.” –Y.

“I thought you cared for me.” –Y.

“Go jump off a bridge.” –X.

(delay) “Maybe I will.” –Y.

“Goodbye, love.” –Y.

Monday, 12th of April, 2013.ON Y’s “GOODBYE Y” VIDEO:

Description: “This is Y’s mother; Y left this video on his desk. He hanged himself last night, because of a comment on YouTube. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.”

“Oh my god.” –X.

“Oh my god.” –X.

“I was kidding, you numbskull!” –X.

“You weren’t supposed to take it seriously. You weren’t. You wouldn’t have.” –X.

“You wouldn’t.” –X.

(Delay) “We were going to meet together. In London.” –X.

“Take over the world, remember?” –X.

“You wouldn’t have killed yourself. Not for that little thing.” –X.

"Was it your family? Is that what drove you to it?" -X.

(Delay) “We would’ve terrorized the streets in clown suits and Russian hit men outfits.” –X.

“We would’ve bombed universities with egg catapults and fake smoke and surprised the students that came out with buckets of slime.” –X.

“The Weather Master, the Fire Bender, the Zombie Doctor—did you forget all that? All the plans we made?” –X.

“We were going to take over the internet.” –X.

“What happened?” –X.

(delay) “I’m sorry.” –X.

“I’m so sorry.” –X.

“I didn’t mean anything by it, I swear.” –X.

“It was all a mistake.” –X.

“I was wrong. And I will regret it for the rest of my days.” –X.

(delay) “I miss you.” –X.

“I miss you so much.” –X.

(delay) “I missed you too, honey.” –Y.

(delay) “SCREW YOU.” –X.

“Well, it’s your fault for falling for it. You know my mother wouldn’t give enough of a shit to actually carry out my final will.” –Y.

“WAS THAT ALL SOME SORT OF SICK JOKE YOU PSYCHOPATH.” –X.

“IS ME BREAKING DOWN EMOTIONALLY ENTERTAINING TO YOU, YOU SON OF A FEMALE GERMAN SHEPHERD.” –X.

“Don’t be so uptight, honey dearest.” –Y.

“I saw what I wanted to see.” –Y.

“I won’t bother you anymore, other than the usual malarkey.” –Y.

“;) .” –Y.

(delay) “I’m going to get you back.” –X.

“I swear, I’m going to get you back.” –X.

(delay) “As much as I like seeing you so fired up about my head on a silver platter, I must inform you here and now that ‘getting back at Y’ is not in the Merriam Dictionary. Nor the Oxford or Webster one.” –Y.

“Face it, honey. I’m the King of Absurdity and Shock. You can’t get back at the king.” –Y.

“Is that a challenge?” –X.

“I hear a challenge.” –X.

“Oh dear.” –Y.

“Here we go now.” –Y.

(delay) “Consider this—if I can successfully shock you,” –X.

“Which you won’t.” –Y.

“You’ll have to admit that I’m the better prankster.” –X.

“How about this; no competition of any sort, and I’ll declare you a place by my throne.” –Y.

“As my Queen, maybe.” –Y.

“;) xx” –Y.

“Shove that talk up your bottom end; I’m not listening to it.” –X.

“Do we have a deal?” –X.

“You know, the queenly crown isn’t too bad. In fact, I’d say it’s twice as pretty as mine.” –Y.

“With you wearing it, of course.” –Y.

“Yes or no?” –X.

“Well, I’d be no true Scotsman if I denied it. I accept.” –Y.

“Though if I’m going to battle my other half there’ll be other rules on the table.” –Y.

“If you manage to shock me, I’ll surrender my crown and be your counselor (as it’s obvious you’ll reject my hand if I ever offered).” –Y.

“But if I manage to shock you, when we meet up in London, you’ll have to kiss me (on the cheek, if you’re too prudish) and allow me to post a video of it here.” –Y.

(delay) “The Queen bargain is still open, if you’re too scared.” –Y.

“No need. I know how this is going to end.” –X.

“Deal.” –X.

“Ah, a risk taker, are you? You’ll look magnificent beside my throne, I just know it.” –Y.

“Start from today?” –Y.

“Today.” –X.

“May the best man win.” –Y.

“If I hear one more chivalrous sentence from you I’ll shove salami into your talk hole.” –X.

“Contrary to your beliefs, I think I’d quite enjoy that.” –Y.

“;) .” –Y.

Monday, 19th of April, 2013ON X’s “COMING OUT GUYS” VIDEO:

“Did I get you? @Y” –X.

(Delay) “Not in the slightest.” –Y.

“Honey, if I didn’t know you were gay I wouldn’t even be here typing to you.”–Y.

“Not that I wouldn’t try.” –Y.

“It would be a sparingly short conversation, of course.” –Y.

“Fuck you.” –X.

“And I’m not a poof.” –X.

“Can you hear that, my sweet Queen?” –Y.

“That’s the sound of denial.” –Y.

(Delay) “And several fangirls clicking the unsubscribe button.” –Y.

“I’m sure your publicist isn’t too happy with you lying.” –Y.

“Sod off.” –X.

(Delay) “And I’m not lying.” –X.

“Five minutes delay? Why, is that hesitation I smell in the air?” –Y.

“I believe we’re actually getting somewhere, honey.” –Y.

“Just shut up.” –X.

(Delay) “Oh I’m sure our son will take after your bashful nature.” –Y.

“And perhaps our daughter will take after my playful attitude. She’ll be as beautiful as Aphrodite, I’m sure.” –Y.

“FUCK YOU.” –X.

“Oh look.” –Y.

“The fans have returned to cite our conversation.” –Y.

“We must have quite the following on Tumblr.” –Y.

(Delay) “Ah yes, we do have a following on Tumblr. As expected. These folk love gay people as much as my family loves hunting them down and burying them in reparative therapy pamphlets.” –Y.

“And the girls’ are talented, too! Would you like me to link you to the fan fiction they’ve made?” –Y.

“Stop. Flirting. Publically.” –X.

“People are watching.” –X.

“Well, of course people are watching.” –Y.

“Everyone wants to look at a work of art.” –Y.

(Delay) “Why are you Yahoo Messaging me?” –Y.

“No, I will not stop posting here.” –Y.

“What coward would be afraid of the internet’s view of our relationship? If they’re hateful bigots with nothing to do other than forward vile messages to us, then it’s their problem, not ours. I should know. I live with them. Never stopped me, why should it stop the both of us?” –Y.

“Yes, we are.” –Y.

“Ten minutes delay!” –Y.

“I really am getting to you now, love.” –Y.

“Shut up!” –X.

“Ah, the snail comes out of his shell, eh?” –Y.

“Or perhaps I should use the closet analogy.” –Y.

“Still in denial, are you?” –Y.

“I am not in denial.” –X.

“Sure you aren’t.” –Y.

“Oh, and by the way, I’ve recently started a war against Vladimir Putin and am leading the rebel forces into St. Petersburg. Meanwhile my brother is working with Ukrainian insurgents to tear down the presidency and unite with the mother land’s rebels, and my sister is currently a politician in Lithuania negotiating a plan with the rest of the former USSR to become one once more. As one we shall conquer Europe and spark the new world order.” –Y.

“Also, I am vegetarian.” –Y.

“You know someone might actually report that to Russia, right?” –X.

“The First Amendment defends my freedom of speech.” –Y.

“You don’t live in America.” –X.

“Granted if I did, it would follow its father’s monarch ways.” –Y.

“Alright, now you have the fucking NSA painting targets on your head.” –X.

“Oh, do you really care?” –Y.

“I mean, really. Would you care if I was killed by the NSA, or any organization? If I was secretly a terrorist bombing little towns and killing children? Taking hostages? Maybe wanted for treason?” –Y.

(Delay) “Nice try.” –X.

“It was worth a shot.” –Y.

Thursday, 3rd of May, 2013.ON “LION HUNTRESS” VIDEO:

“Did you just…kiss that woman?” –X.

“You. Kiss. A woman.” –X.

“We did a little more than that. Afterwards.” –Y.

(Delay)“She has such dexterity under the sheets, honey dearest. You should’ve seen how wide she spread her legs. I would’ve called the nearest club to bring back their dancer, if I wasn’t enjoying it so much.” –Y.

(Delay) “Your prose is bland and your response was obviously thought out.” ­–X.

’’If I wasn’t enjoying it so much’ –why would you need to point out your enjoyment to me? If you really were attracted to her, you wouldn’t care what I think. Caring what I think would be the last thing you’d do if you really were attracted to her, just below telling me about your midnight gymnastics.” –X.

“But you aren’t truly attracted to her. This is just another late ploy to get me to admit defeat and humiliate me in front of both our viewers. But I’ll let you in on something, Mister Mastermind Behind a Computer Screen.” –X.

“You will never stop wanting me.”–X.

“You will never stop being obsessed with my existence, my approval, simply because I’m the only thing you can’t hush into silence with wit and sardonic humor. Simply because I’m the only thing that you can’t joke your way out of. Why? Because I pique your interest. I’m the only thing on the web that won’t dismiss you as some fancy loner with sophisticated humor. You’re lonely, behind all your jokes and all your laughs and flirts. You genuinely want me. And if I were to say I’m jealous now, I’m at least eighty percent sure you’d shatter this little game of yours here and now.” –X.

“But I wouldn’t do that. I wouldn’t toy with another’s heart.” –X.

“Not like you would.” –X.

(Delay) “Well done.” –Y.

“My dear Queen’s twitching to be an empress.” –Y.

“Not even a tad shocked?” –X.

“Not an inch.” –Y.

“Though if I was, I’d only be pleasantly surprised.” –Y.

(Delay) “It looks like our battle has an audience, X.” –Y.

“You like breaking the fourth wall, don’t you?” –X.

“Hello, Comment Reader!” –Y.

“No, we’re not going to name our babies Aphrodite or Hera.” –Y.

“Doesn’t mean we won’t have them though.” –Y.

“;).” –Y.

“SHUT UP.” –X.

“Oh, don’t you mind it, my sweet Queen’s just warming up to the idea.” –Y.

“It won’t bother any of our plans. I can be very persuasive, after all.” –Y.

“;).” –Y.

“*chokes Y with leather*” –X.

“Kinky.” –Y.

“ERRRRRGGGGGGHHH.” –X.

Saturday, 6th of May, 2013.PERSONAL MESSAGE BETWEEN X & Y:

“You looked just about ready to crack there a few days ago, honey.” –Y.

“Maybe we should just call it a draw right now. Before anyone gets hurt.” –Y.

“London’s approaching, after all.”-Y.

“Scared, asshole?” –X.

(Delay) “What cruel words you use, my sweet Queen.” –Y.

“But I am a bit frightened. For you, at least.” –Y.

“I wouldn’t want anything happening to you.” –Y.

“The only thing getting hurt here is your ego.” –X.

Honey.” –X.

“Was that a sarcastic italic word I saw?” –Y.

“You have no heart, I swear. I’m only looking out for your wellbeing.” –Y.

“I can take care of myself.” –X.

“Unlike you, I’m not a broken puppy in need of a groom.” –X.

(Delay) “Why do you loathe me so?” –Y.

“Does my flirting really frustrate you?” –Y.

“I don’t mean anything by it.” –Y.

“I don’t. Really.” –Y.

“Then stop doing it.” –X.

(Delay) “If that’s how it is.” –Y.

“Though to be fair, I only use it towards people I genuinely like.” –Y.

“Insufferable, I know. But I don’t know any better gift than to be true to who I am. I thought you deserved that, at least.” –Y.

(Delay) “You know how my parents are. My condition. I can’t afford to be…myself in real life. I can’t afford to be anything but the little straight boy with devilish urges, getting sent to Bible Camps and Christian psychiatrists. In the chat rooms, in the comment sections with you, I’m a human being. I’m a person. The people who call me ‘poof’ and ‘fag’, they don’t matter—nothing matters, in this realm of ours.” –Y.

“But you do. You matter to me, at least.” –Y.

“I’m sorry if that disconcerted you.” –Y.

(Delay) “Just shut up, alright?” –X.

“You’re not going to make me apologize.” –X.

“I’m done with your mind games.” –X.

“What mind games?” –Y.

“I’m not playing anything. Why would I be playing anything?” –Y.

(X has logged out of chat room).

“X?” –Y.

“X.” –Y.

(Delay) “I’m sorry.” –Y.

Saturday, 13th of May, 2013.ON X’s “WIZARD BATTLE MALL SHOWDOWN” VIDEO:

“You look handsome in a robe.” –Y.

“The baggy look fits you.” –Y.

(Delay) “Really? I thought you promised.” –X.

“You denied my promise.” –Y.

“Because it was another one of your tricks.” –X.

“If you say so, honey.” –Y.

“Don’t act like you’re the victim here. You’re the one sending compromising messages to me.” –X.

“If it suits your mindset.” –Y.

(Delay) “Are you doing the henpecked husband act?” –X.

“You are not doing the henpecked husband act.” –X.

“You are doing the henpecked husband act.” –X.

“Stop. Doing. The Henpecked. Husband. Act.” –X.

“It’s annoying and overused and I will not be your Hen Wife.” –X.

“I’m not, I’m not.” –Y.

“It’s just that I’d prefer you acknowledge your aggressions towards me and size up to it.” –Y.

“Defensive!” –X.

“You’re fucking acting defensive.” –X.

“You know defensiveness is third only to frustration and contempt in List-Of-Annoying-Things-People-Do?”

“I’m not being defensive.” –Y.

“Denial’s the fourth on the list.” –X.

“Look whose taunting.” –Y.

“I’m not in denial!” –X.

“You know, you look a lot like a cat with feathers in his mouth and an empty cage behind his back.” –Y.

“Your analogies make no sense.” –X.

“And what’s with all these hashtags?” –X.

#XY?” –X.

“What the bloody hell is XY?” –X.

“Us.” –Y.

“It’s a ship name, darling.” –Y.

“No, Queen Anne’s Revenge is a ship name—nobody calls their ship after a pair of chromosomes.” –X.

“A ship as in a relationship. Their naming us together. The internet has decided our fate, tied us with a red string.” –Y.

“Strangled us with a red string, you mean.” –X.

“Not necessarily.” –Y.

“If you don’t like the name we could always change it to something else; Monarchy, for instance.” –Y.

“I’ll start it off: #Monarchy.–Y.

“It’ll never trend.” –X.

“If you say so.” -Y.

(Monday, 15th of May, 2013.)

“Oh my god.” –X.

“Happy birthday!” –Y.

“Y, did you sell your soul to the fucking devil?” –X.

“How the in all of the seven hells did you get so many fag hags to trend it?” –X.

“Oh my god, they’re streaming reactions to our texts.” –X.

“This has gone too far.” –X.

“Don’t be so glum, dear. It’s such a beautiful day to be a member of the #Monarchy.” –Y.

“Taste the ambrosia, why don’t you?” –Y.

“For Christ’s sake, just drop the act.” –X.

“If that’s what you want, honey.” –Y.

(Delay) “You know what, how about you drop the act?” –Y.

“We all already know you love me just as much as I do you.” –Y.

“Why act coy? Let’s straighten things out, now.” –Y.

“Not here, you idiot.” –X.

“Why not? We’re already a thing, anyway.” –Y.

“Tell me, right here and now, X; do you like me, or don’t you?” –Y.

“God damn it, Y, shut up.” –X.

“Tell me.” –Y.

“We’re not going to do this.” –X.

“Not the maybe-yes-maybe-not-relationship act, it’s clichéd.” –X.

“So make this clear—is it maybe-yes or maybe-no?” –Y.

“Well what do you think?” –X.

“I think you don’t have a clue which is which.” –Y.

“It’s Maybe Yes, you snobby douche!” –X.

(Delay) “That’s not what I meant.” –X.

“THAT’S NOT WHAT I MEANT.” –X.

“No, it isn’t what you meant.” –Y.

“I’m sure you meant the Yes Yes variant.” –Y.

“That’s it, I’m done with this.” –X.

“I’m going to bed.” –X.

(Delay) “According to my calculations it’s five in the evening where you are.” –Y.

“You’re either a morning person or a liar. I’m not certain which is worse.” –Y.

“WILL YOU JUST” –X.

(Delay) “Will you just what?” –Y.

nevermind.” –X.

“goodnight” –X.

(Delay) “douchebag.” –X.

“Goodnight, dear.” –Y.

Monday, 15th of May, 2013.

IN A PRIVATE CONVERSATION BETWEEN X & Y:

“X?” –Y.

“X, I need to tell you something.” –Y.

(Delay) “What is it?” –X.

“My father got on my computer.” –Y.

“I’m outside, texting on my phone.” –Y.

“We just got into another argument. He found me out.” –Y.

(Delay) “Jesus.” –X.

“I don’t want to go back home.” –Y.

“I don’t know if there’s a home for me to go back to.” –Y.

“You’re not trying to fool me again, are you?” –X.

“What? No!” –Y.

(Delay) “I’m scared. I don’t want to be here anymore, X.” –Y.

“You sure you’re not joking?” –X.

“Oh my God, shut the fuck up.” –Y.

“Look, I get it, okay? You’re not looking for a relationship; you don't want to act gay, fine. Fucking great for you. You get to be the normal one, and I get to be hiding in the park with belt marks and people screaming for me to get out of my own home.” –Y.

“You can be in denial, or normal, or whatever it is you are. Just—I just want a second to be normal too, see? I just want a second where I’m not the faggot.” –Y.

(Delay) “I’m not in denial.” –X.

(Y has logged out of the chatroom.)

“Y?” –X.

“Y.” –X.

(Delay) “I’m not!” –X.

Thursday, June 11, 2013.

PERSONAL MESSAGE BETWEEN X & Y:

“I bought the tickets.” –X.

“Where are we meeting then?” –X.

(Delay) “I think the Eye might be an interesting place to look at.” –X.

“Or the Sherlock museum.” –X.

(Delay) “Maybe Big Ben?” –X.

(2 hours delay) “Okay, this is getting ridiculous.” –X.

“You haven’t replied to any of my messages, you haven’t released a single video, and you’ve missed tweeting about the fucking hashtags.” –X.

“I mean, they’re everywhere. Literally everywhere.” –X.

“How are you not stoking the fire?” –X.

(2 hours delay) “You’re angry at me.” –X.

“You’re angry at my supposed denial.” –X.

“I’m not in denial.” –X.

“I’m not!” –X.

(2 hours delay) “What the fuck is wrong with you?” –X.

“Really. What the fuck is wrong with you?” –X.

(3 hours) “Fine. If that’s how you want to play it, fine. Silent Y is better than any Y.” –X.

Saturday, June 12, 2013.

“WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU.” –X.

“FUCKING ANSWER ME.” –X.

Saturday, June 19, 2013.

ON “FOR Y” VIDEO.

The video starts with a rugged X. We shall censor the features for privacy reasons, but the words remain intact.

A baggy eyed X stares at the screen, blankly, his head evidently on more pressing matters. “Hey guys.” Plastic smile. Creased forehead. Eyes like shards of glass under moonlight. “I know you’ve guys been, um, expecting a video prepping for the—er--” Something ran across the screen, catching X’s attention. “The—the London trip. With Y.”

He turned to his own hands now, smiling. “Well, there won’t be one. This one is probably the closest you guys will ever get, but it’s not for you.” He looked up to the screen once more. Something changed in his glare. Something lit up. “It’s for Y.”

He leaned in, his eyes shuddering onto the screen. Branches of red veins, finding their way across oceans of opal white. Like a map of desperation and despair. “Now listen here, you asshole,” He started, changing the tone of his voice. “I don’t give a shit how sick you are, using the same joke twice. The disappearance or death sketch isn’t working anymore. It’ll never work. Not on me. So you fucking get your ass back up from the sewers, or Guantanamo Bay, or the abattoir, or whatever shithouse you’re hiding in, because it isn’t working. It isn’t working.” He yelled the last part, splitting ears for two wretched seconds. He breathed in, and exhaled. “Now come out. Right now.”

That was the end of it.

--

He imagined the other Youtuber quickly replying with a witty ‘You come out first’, an expected ‘Does this mean I win?’. All the replies were filled with nothing but, but none were made by him.

X never released another video until London—until July 15.

July 15.

Y never came.

X appeared the place they last discussed on the topic of meeting—in front of Buckingham Palace. Imagine it now: a young man, tired eyes glued on a phone screen, sitting beside a stone-still soldier. “Muskets, black and red, black and red,” he imagined the mild irritation sing, careless and reprehensible and strangely gripping.

“Muskets, black hearts, and red rain,” The Lonely would sing along, following the tune of a ghost. “Shot in the heart, shot down in flames.”

Supposedly, he made the video then. Disrupting the red and blacks. Causing unreasonable trouble. Apologizing for an absence to an audience that didn’t care. Did they wait for him? he thought. Did they search for his presence across the spider webs, the little dewdrops he might’ve left for the sake of posterity? Reread comments, rechecked timelines? Why would they, really? It’s the internet. What reality is there to be afraid of, on the kingdom without a crown? Nothing is real behind a computer screen. No emotion, no man, no work. Everything was eternal; that was why nothing’s worth fighting for.

But he saw a fight. A soul. A pulse, hidden underneath a wall of text. Where’s Y? a stylinson287 might say, What happened? A lostlenore345 would type out, or a It’s a little dull without Y from Anonymous. There were those who fought. The soul prevailed, even in pixels. Where was Y? they all asked.

He’d like to know as well.

PERSONAL MESSAGE BETWEEN X & Y

“You win.” –X.

“You get the crown.” –X.

“You’re the fucking master of the universe.” –X.

“Does it matter, anyway? It’s the internet. Claiming king here is like claiming king in Westeros.” –X.

(Delay) “But you’re king to me, anyway.” –X.

“And I imagine you’ll always be.” –X.

(Delay) “Goodbye, Y.” –X.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
125 Reviews


Points: 59
Reviews: 125

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:00 pm
View Likes
Songmorning wrote a review...



Okay...HOW did you manage to mess with my mind so much? This started so lighthearted, and then...and then suddenly...

Well first of all, I just thought it was an extremely realistic portrayal of the Internet. I've never read a story before that was entirely Internet messages between two people, and you've done it here quite masterfully. It's messed-up in a lot of ways, but the Internet can be a pretty messed-up place. And in a lot of ways, knowing someone over the Internet is different from knowing them in real life. You can never really be sure that what they're typing is true, and you don't have the input of a voice or face to help you....And especially because these two were pranksters, I was never 100% sure what was true and what was a joke.

At first, it was like Y had X dancing in the palm of his hand. He always seemed in control, as though he was simply trolling the whole time. Even when he started writing more seriously, I still thought he was trolling....After all, they were both trying to shock the other, so it would make sense for Y to still be putting up an act: whatever it might take to truly shock X and win their game.

In fact, it wasn't until the "FOR Y" video that I started to seriously wonder if something really had gone wrong...whether Y had really been serious. When Y was telling X what happened with his father, I started having doubts, but I was still basically convinced that Y was making it as horrible as possible just to make X believe it, and shock him. When Y disappeared, I was sure at any moment he would suddenly appear again, laughing and gloating over his victory in seriously freaking X out. Even at the very end of the story, I wasn't 100% sure that something had actually happened to Y, though I was pretty convinced by then...But with the Internet, you never know.

I had a great friend once on the Internet who disappeared, and I've never been able to make contact with him since. I have no idea if he's still alive, or if he's all right. I have another friend who's not responding to me, even though I have a way to contact her. It's just the worst when someone simply stops responding over the Internet. You have no way to make them respond, no way to reach them, and no way to know if something's actually happened to them or if they're still okay--you don't know whether they're dead or mad at you for some reason or if they just don't check their messages much anymore...

Since homosexuality is a major theme of this story, I feel I should say something about it too. I believe homosexual acts and practices are sins, and harmful to the people who do them, but that it's also 100% wrong and horrible to hate or abuse someone just because they're homosexual. There are, in fact, people who have homosexual attraction, but everyone has sins that they're particularly inclined to. It's just that...people are now defining themselves by their sexual orientation...they think of it as who they are. That's why it's such a difficult and emotionally-laden subject. But why so many people would single out homosexuality as somehow worse than other sins, I don't know. Everyone should be loved and cared about and accepted equally, because they're all people created in the image of God. Y's father was wrong and cruel, and (if he wasn't joking) Y was in a horrible situation. He needed someone who could help him and care about him and get him out of that abusive home...but I don't know what happened to him after he disappeared.

I don't know, and that's why this story messes with my mind.

You're brilliant, ellmist.




Sujana says...


I have just came back from my own mini excursion, and I've been greeted with many wonderful Christmas gifts (even though I myself do not celebrate Christmas, unfortunately). I think on the topic of homosexuality you can say that it's a 'sin', so long as you don't torture or persecute the 'sinner', like how I may not believe religious people are necessarily right but I still respect their beliefs. I'm sorry if you had to suffer through a gay love story on the interwebz, but I do hope I've made the journey a little less painful. Thank you for the review! (and no, I'm not brilliant, I've just been in the game a little longer--practice makes perfect, I suppose).



User avatar
191 Reviews


Points: 8890
Reviews: 191

Donate
Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:57 am
View Likes
carbonCore wrote a review...



The characters were well developed, the plot was interesting, the format was fresh (if sometimes a little difficult to read), and in general, the journey to the end was worth it. Having said all this, there were a few points of concern that I wanted to touch upon.

For one, the whole "hanged himself last night because of a comment on Youtube" bit was entirely unconvincing. If these boys really were "infamous internet pranksters", they wouldn't be affected by such obvious trolling. The number one response of butthurt nooblets everywhere to a comment made about their mother is "my mom's dead, you scumbag!!!". This happens often enough that you'd swear half of the Internet's moms are dead. Death is too coarse, too visible to be used for an effective prank. That said...

Death could've actually worked very well here. If the first prank was indeed of Y killing himself, and then over the course of their conversation we get subtle hints that his life isn't as great as it appeared, perhaps his absence at the end would've delivered a more effective gut punch than just, "he's gone, Jim!". Perhaps there could've been a sinister undertone of a real suicide looming, nowhere near apparent enough to be obvious, but just enough to make the attentive reader think, when X vanishes.

I also felt at times that this piece was too satisfied with itself. At first, we are told that X and Y are pseudonyms. Then X refers to the XY ship as "a couple of chromosomes", as if he knew that they were really called that in the story. Which is it? Are those their real Internet nicknames (in which case, wow, they were incredibly lucky -- and the story was misleading in the beginning about their pseudonyms), or do they, like, know they're inside a story? Considering the whole "breaking the fourth wall" bit around the middle, I ask to be forgiven for thinking the latter.

The out-of-character paragraphs also threw me off. If a gimmick is employed (and -- I do not use the word negatively -- the romance-by-comments nature of the story is definitely a gimmick), it should be followed through to its conclusion. I would hope these paragraphs to be dry and minimalistic, kind of like stage directions -- the description of the "suicide" video is a good example of this. The last few paragraphs of the story are, conversely, a bad example. If our emotions come from the comments left somewhere on the Internet, they should continue to come from there, as opposed to the author intruding upon us and telling us exactly what's going through everyone's heads. That's what plain vanilla 3rd person is for.

This is good, but it can be a lot better. I would put the aforementioned undertones in, but then, I know I'm a melancholic, and it is the author's ultimate discretion as to what goes into their story. Ultimately, I enjoyed the ride; perhaps I found the air condition a tad broken, and the faux-leather a bit worn, but not enough to complain... too much.

Your servant,
cC




Sujana says...


And you've come again! Not that I dislike your presence, you bring things to a very different light and leave me with something to do after your reviews. Am I to expect it every time one of my things come into the Green Room? Anyway, once again, great review. I'll see what I can do with all the issues.



Sujana says...


Also, the suicide as more than just a plot device is genius. I don't understand how I missed it.



carbonCore says...


Your pieces give me something interesting to chew on. My coming to your pieces is entirely your fault for not being a terrible writer.



Sujana says...


I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult, but alright. Don't worry, one day I'll make something bad enough that it will force me into a coffin, and I'm sure you'll be there to close the lid.



User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 250
Reviews: 79

Donate
Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:12 am
View Likes
Sevro wrote a review...



Oh my god! What happened?! What's going on?! I'm so upset by this ending, I can't even tell you. But, ellmist, this was truly brilliant. I was so sad at the end, and in the middle, and at the beginning, but I was laughing the whole time, so it was such a weird experience that I can't even describe it! I am dumbfounded, and I can't even comprehend what I just read. You are kind of a meany for dragging me through that amazing, romantic, back and forth banter just to throw my heart over the cliff into the abyss of sadness and never-ending wonder and confusion! I mean, my god, what did I do to deserve this?! HOW COULD Y DIE????!!!! HOW?!?!?!

Well, all my emotions aside, this was, by far, the most moving, emotion-packed, heartbreaking, heartwarming piece of art I have read all day, week, month maybe. I was so completely shocked when I read that ending, and you are such a complete (jerk XD) genius for writing this masterpiece. I am so depressed by this amazing short story, and it is the best feeling I've had all day. If that makes sense. I am still trying to grasp how I'm going to continue my life without knowing what happened to Y (I CANT BELIEVE HE DIED!!! <|3). You did such an unfathomabley incredible job with...everything in this piece, I literally can not find a single thing wrong with it. Your grammar is impeccable, and the metaphors are-off-the-charts amazing. I am completely floored by the weight and density of the masterful piece of beautiful art, and it moved me in a way that nothing else has. I will probably read this everyday, and come no closer whatsoever to finding the true reason of Y's disappearance (<|3<|3<|3). I'm really not sure if he died, or is still there, but is trying to really get X with a crazy (depressing) prank, I have no idea.

I both love you and hate you for even writing this. It is, like I said the best piece of literature I've laid eyes on in a really long time. You are obviously a very skilled writer, and have above the capacity to produce great, emotional, world-changing pieces not unlike this one. If I could "like" something more than once, I would spend the rest of my night hitting that like button over and over, because this is just that phenomenal. If you ever think about writing a follow up piece, or anything related to this in any way, first, definitely write it, then tag me, because I'm so in love with this one that I would be honored to read another!

Thank you so much for posting this, and you have probably ruined a chunk of my life (in the most amazing way you can imagine).

~Caterpickle




Sujana says...


Good God did you put it on your status? That's unnecessarily flattering. I feel obliged to say sorry for ruining your life, but instead I'll simply say thank you.

Also, I'm not sure what happened to Y, either. My stories always tend to have a meaning to them whether I know it or not, and Y's disappearance is (at least to me) following a major theme which is the cruel nature of virtual reality; he can disappear if he wants simply by logging off and never returning. And yet, he can never fully disappear. He'll leave his comments and his witty banter, kept somewhere in the memory of a computer. So long as nothing as it isn't destroyed or erased, Y will remain, an immortal being of a sort. It doesn't really matter whether he's alive or dead (though it would make an interesting story if he was still alive).

I might make a sequel. I don't know, I think it'd be fun. But at the same time there's no possible way to make it without changing the good parts that came from the original, so I probably won't.



Sevro says...


I put it on my wall because I didn't want to go through this experience alone. This is a feeling that everyone deserves to feel, and you should be so proud that you are able to write something like this, because it is so over the top amazing. Here I go, going on a rant again XD. I really, really want you to write a thousand sequels, but you're right. I think it would ruin the mystery of it all. Well done again, I might not ever stop saying that!



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:59 pm
View Likes
Mageheart wrote a review...



When I first read that this was about two pranksters duking it out, I immediately thought of Fred and George Weasley. Not the romance part, but the whole pranking bit. That could probably be blamed on me reading a Harry Potter fanfiction before reading this.
I loved this story. It was an interesting concept, and the comments that X and Y made me smile like an idiot. Some of my favorites:

“Oh, and by the way, I’ve recently started a war against Vladimir Putin and am leading the rebel forces into St. Petersburg. Meanwhile my brother is working with Ukrainian insurgents to tear down the presidency and unite with the mother land’s renegades, and my sister is currently a politician in Lithuania negotiating a plan with the rest of the former USSR to become one once more. As one we shall conquer Europe and spark the new world order.” –Y.
“Also, I am vegetarian.” –Y.


It is apparently quite important if you are a vegetarian. :D

“No, Queen Anne’s Revenge is a ship name—nobody calls their ship after a pair of chromosomes.” –X.


If someone ever tries creating a ship name for me and someone else, I'm going to use that comment, minus the chromosome bit, of course. :D

“A ship as in a relationship. Their naming us together. The internet has decided our fate, tied us with a red string.” –Y.
“Strangled us with a red string, you mean.” –X.


Once again, I am going to use that quote somehow someday. :D

The ending, naturally, depressed me. Why, Y, why? (I'm really tempted to put a XD face there...) The description in this story was amazing in the parts where it wasn't virtual banter. When that happened, you did an amazing job with metaphors - especially at the ending. I wish that I knew Y's half of the story.

I can't find any grammar or spelling issues. Good job there!

Keep up the great work - which I doubt you'll have trouble with - and good luck on all of your writing endeavors. Have a great day/night, ellmist! :D




Sujana says...


Thank you for reading through this gigantic mess (it's surprisingly long). And yes, I also laughed out loud reading my own writing (I thought it was just me being silly again) however the strangled by the red string line was mostly inspired by this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... eRedString . I take no credit for that line.

And yes, it is very important if you are a vegeterian.



Mageheart says...


I love tvtropes. I read that after I saw the link and immediately loved it. :D



Mageheart says...


And you're welcome! :D




I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci