12+

Scrubbing off dead skin/3 years later

by doegrl

Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:01 am
RavenAkuma wrote a review...

A fascinating poem, and haiku toward the end. The vivid feeling of linen, the distinct smell of sandalwood, the sight of natural imperfections like patchy leg hair and birthmarks; everything about this poem just feels like one little art piece of a bigger combination of nature and humanity, and its underlying emotions. I don't know a better way to describe it --it's just very natural, very earthy, very rustic.

Likewise, your words have a fascinating effect on the reader. You feel like you know the message these words are conveying, but you can't help pondering them, second-guessing if your assumption is right. Does my interpretation align with what you intended to write? Did I create my own conclusions from your words? That's something I love about this more abstract poetry, and it is a very hard theme to accomplish well, so kudos to you!

Great work! :)

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 am
GreyAM wrote a review...

Beautiful. Your words do a great job of sneaking into those humanly characteristics like "patchy hair on my legs the razor missed", that would otherwise go unnoticed by another soul, but so deeply noticed by yours. It really does feel like a game; trying to find a distraction to those "imperfection", that are not even imperfect, but human. You said it yourself, "legs rooted deeply into the earth". We really are just earth after all.

This poem can be read as somber, or bright, which in my opinion is hard to do sometimes. So kudos to you. I have no suggestions, it's beautiful.

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
— Maya Angelou