Home » Literary works » Other » Other

Wisdom I received from my Mom

by corgisrock22

Hi. I am writing this to talk about the Orlando shooting.. When we got home, my mom turned on the tv. We saw the horrible news. I was stunned. I didn't know what to do or say. Then about an hour later, i lost it. I was talking to my friend, Dogsrule5, and i broke down. She wrote about this too. I ran to the kitchen and sat down, my mom helped me understand something that i would like to share with you all.

" No one is born a bigot." Ever heard that saying? This means no one is born with horrible ideas or beliefs, they pick them up from their surroundings and the people around them. This man had most likely picked up his ideas from possibly the internet or something. He was a radical Muslim. The Muslim religion is very much against killing. I saw a man being interviewed on CNN. He was Muslim. He said that what the shooter did was very very wrong and was not appreciated at all.

My mom helped me understand something very important. She said that even in the most horrible situation, you must try to find the good in the situation, because there is always good in a situation, no matter how bad it is. You need to find light at the end of the tunnel and you should always try to keep yourself together a little bit so you can search for the good. No matter how bad the situation, there is always good. The hospitals needed blood to preform surgery on the injured people after the shooting. Hundreds of people, maybe even thousands began to donate blood to help. See? There is always some light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope that this advice helped you guys, because this really helped me. Remember to be kind and respectful to each other, and always try to find a positive in any situation.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:41 pm
reikann wrote a review...

I understand that this isn't a piece of literature as the sort that we think of, and therefore should perhaps be read as more of a thinkpiece or blog post, which means, perhaps, that it is the ideas and not the format we should be looking at. Unfortunately, that does leave little to critique.
As you say, there is always good to be found in bad, and the way the world pulled together the wake of the disaster is nothing if not good. But while there is good, and that is worth remembering, there is bad as well, and we cannot simply ignore that. Perhaps there is wisdom to be found in pain as well as in joy.
I am glad the words your mother brought you solace in the wake of such terrible news. There is always love.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:27 pm
corgisrock22 says...

Just a reminder this isn't exactly a book or poem or anything.. Its just advice that i wanted to share with you guys.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:26 pm
dogsrule5 wrote a review...

Hey, Dogs here to review!!!

Let's start off by saying that... Thanks for mentioning me in your writing.

Let's start off with a few little errors, that can easily be fixed. Then we will get on to meaning, theme, and personal connections!!!! How does that sound??

Little errors

1) In the second paragraph you have a space from the quotation to the "no". You don't need that space.

2) In the third paragraph, second sentence, you need quotation marks on what your mom said to you.

Now to the other stuff.

I really liked this poem, and you mom gave some fantastic advice.

Meaning/Theme: I think the meaning of this piece is very important. People need to understand that life isn't about killing people for sport, it's about living... I don't know... By not killing. You put tons of thought and effort into writing this, and I really liked it! Remember to be kind and respect. I really liked that.

Personal Connection: I didn't lose it, but I was very sad when I heard about what happened. I feel as if people need to understand things, like how to love. People don't know how to love, because the people they grew up with didn't love either. I feel like people who feel pain kill to take it out on others, so that those "others" can feel the killers pain too.

I hope people can learn to respect, but it won't happen for a very long time. One day though, maybe, just maybe, people will learn to love.

Keep up the great writing,
Love,
Dogs

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.