Take off

by corgisrock22

I walk onto my take off runway,

A clear path ahead of me,

I walk to the tip of the turquiose plank,

My toes curling against it.

I raise my arms above my head,

Standing tall and straight above the shimmering water,

Like a tree in a forest,

Overseeing the land.

I take a breath,

Slowly closing my eyes,

Silence. 

My knee's bend slightly,

My instincts kicking in,

I propel myself forward, 

Flying above the water for a split second,

The thrill washing over me.

The arch of a diver sets in,

my back arching,

I make a smooth,

Peaceful landing. 

I glide through the crystal clear water,

Swimming upward,

My joy ride over.

I get out of the water,

Only to spread my wings again,

And take off. 

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:14 pm
AllisonArgent wrote a review...

Hey there.
I loved your poem
1.ur title attracted me very much. u're going to earn a lot more review.[please don't blame me if you don't]
2.I loved how ur poem stayed simple yet attractive.
3.I wanna go jump off that board.
4. I don't swim or never have dived off a board.
5. I loved your poem and keep up the good work.
6.If u'd like check out some of my work.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:48 pm
herbgirl wrote a review...

Hello! herbgirl here for a review!
I like your poem. I don't usually go off diving boards, I don't actually usually go to pools, so this poem had a sort of nostalgic feeling for me. But I like this poem because you focus on a topic that you don't really hear about in poems, the exhilarating feeling of a jump, a fun jump, a jump that you love to make. It was very nice and refreshing.
I had a few suggestions, just a few words you could change that might make the poem easier to read. My first thing was in the first line. You said, "I walk onto my take off runway." I felt this line was a little repetitive, since runways are usually for taking off. I would take out the words "take off".
The next thing that bothered me a bit was about halfway through the poem, you say "My instincts kicking in." I didn't like this line, because I don't really think instincts are required for diving off a diving board. I mean, I'm not a diving expert, as I said earlier, haven't been to a pool in years. But I usually think of instincts kicking in during intense, life-or-death situations.
A few lines after that, you say "The arch of a diver sets in,/my back arching". I find this, too, to be repetitive. I suggest changing one of the "arches" to "bending" or something similar.
The next two lines after that seem a little strange, too. You say "I make a smooth, peaceful landing". This doesn't make sense to me, because I wouldn't say a diver really lands. They... Hit the water? I'm not sure. I generally think of landing as being associated with solid ground. You could say, "I hit the water smoothly, peacefully" or something similar.
I think those are all the suggestions that I have. Good job! I hope this advice helped you, but remember, I still like the poem as it is. It's just a happy poem about something you love, and it made me happy too.
herbgirl

corgisrock22 says...

Thank you for the suggestions! This poem was based off of my experience when diving off a diving board. It usually to me feels like im flying, and its really fun! Thank you for the review!

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:34 pm
dogsrule5 wrote a review...

Hey, hey, hey Dogs here to review!

First off, I really liked this poem!

I didn't really find any nitpicks, so I will go ahead and go into the part I liked about the review!

1) The Title: The title really draws the reader in. I didn't realize this was the poem you sent me on Skype at first until I read the description, but the title would've dragged me in to read this poem! Great work!

2) Word Choice: I really liked the word choice you used in your poem. Such as shimmering, crystal clear, etc.

Sorry this is such a short review!

Anyway, I really liked your poem and I hope to see a ton more poems from you in the future!

Keep up the fantastic writing,
Love,
Dogs

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality