z

Young Writers Society


12+

They Called it Major Depressive Disorder

by chelseamarie


Sadness is a mother

and once she gives birth, she'll never truly leave

No matter how long you deny her existence or shrink away from her touch,

she's always there, waiting with open arms

But every mother has her favorites

ones who she embraces with more vigor

who she hovers over,

just waiting for a moment of uncertainty to take advantage of

when she can pull them back into her suffocating arms and whisper into their ears

you are mine

I will never let go 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 713
Reviews: 8

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:29 pm
View Likes
emarko2 wrote a review...



This poem has a deeper meaning then what the words say. Growing up I didn't understand how a mother affects your life. now that I work in a nursing home the main idea of this poem really hits home to me. I would read this one again and read it to my mother who is still living.
I would like to see what other work this author has done.




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 284
Reviews: 7

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:46 am
View Likes
jacquelinevillegas10 wrote a review...



This poem is very true and I find your points of view unique and eye-opening. I think everyone goes through something similar to this, although they never get diagnosed for it. I know that I've gone through times when I feel depressed, worthless, unwanted and unneeded...but even when that mother wants to pull you back into her arms, just remember that mother doesn't always know best and its time to break free from her relentless hold on your life.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 669
Reviews: 17

Donate
Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:25 am
View Likes
woeth wrote a review...



I honestly got chills reading this.

Your analogy is just perfect, so accurate. I loved the paradox of the caring mother to the relentlessness of depression. It is tragically beautiful.

I too have my own demons. I've always struggled with explaining depression as its so complex yet you have managed to explain it in a matter of sentences.Depression is unique to each person and you have just generalised it without taking or adding from it(I don't know if that makes sense but anyways)

Anyways, this is an excellent piece and I wish you all the best in the future.
Keep up the writing not only are you very talented but writing provides people like us with a much need outlet.




User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 1271
Reviews: 532

Donate
Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:41 am
View Likes
GeeLyria wrote a review...



Hi chelseamarie!

This is not what I was expecting but in a good way.

I second that, @McMourning. Your title kind of leads the reader to think this is something quite different... I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm more inclined to believe it it's more bad than good. I'll tell you what I was expecting this piece would be so you can be the judge of that: I thought that the content of this piece would be mostly a rant of a teenage in angst. However, I collided with this to learn that there are epic ways of creating more than rants with negative feelings.I like the metaphor, no doubt... Mostly, because I would have NEVER thought of comparing a mother with gloomy feelings, such as this~ Mothers are most likely to be associated with warmth and protection, and this is sort of creepy, to be honest, but I like your perspective. And I do agree that sadness does seem to have its favorites, so this is something that I found very interesting about what you have expressed through your poem. However, I would recommend you to get rid of the word "sadness" because it sounds like a dissonant note in your piece... I would find a synomym because it looks too simple and common in comparison to the vocabulary you used in the rest of your piece. That's all I've got to say though. :) Keep writing~

Your friendly reviewer,
Solvy




Random avatar

Points: 9682
Reviews: 156

Donate
Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 pm
View Likes
McMourning wrote a review...



This is not what I was expecting but in a good way.

From the title I was expecting something more clinical, less prosaic. Major Depressive Disorder is a clinical psychology term, but the poem itself is all descriptive language. Even the term "depression" is not used, merely "sadness." So, perhaps, you should change the title to be more prosaic too.

As for the poem itself, I like it. I think the imagery is appropriate, particularly the "suffocating arms" and whispering, "I will never let you go."

However, I'm not sure if the analogy "sadness is a mother" is appropriate. I think you are trying to say that sadness gives birth to depression. But, then, isn't it the baby that never leaves, not the mother that never leaves? Perhaps I'm overthinking it.

Then you say...

every mother has her favorites, ones who she embraces with more vigor

So, sadness is embracing a person, but sadness didn't give birth to the person. The mother part of the analogy doesn't feel right to me. It's true that depression embraces some of us with more vigor than others. But I don't like the mother part of the description. Again, maybe it's just me.

Personally, I would instead think of sadness as an abuser, attacking one person with more vigor, not a loving mother who is embracing her child.

Otherwise, I think the poem is good. You keep it short. It's not heavy on clinical terms most people don't understand. It's full of poetic language. It flows nicely.





"Think of all the beauty still left around you, and smile."
— Anne Frank