12+

the simplicity of the sun

by bridgetavc

I was an emotion soaked teenager without a clue what love meant. In what I thought was my true prosperity, I flourished in false happiness provided by a boy with not even that. Our emotional bond was that of a clinician and her/his client; I was left to deal with not only my, but also his despair. I wouldn’t wish this on anybody, for the pain long surpases the happiness, but as for me - it was those moments that defined my character.

I woke up forgetting how to breath. My arms were weak and shook as I grabbed my throat desperately crying out, but nobody was there. After a few moments the breaths came easier, and I rose from my fetal position. My skin was raw and my limbs shook uncontrollably as I allowed my weight to be distributed onto my feet. I looked up and glanced at the Californiacation record pinned to my wall and allowed my eyes to slowly meet their reflection in the mirror below; My reflection conveyed desperation as it grew clear, but I quickly staggered as if hiding from the truth.

My life in it’s entirety has been a recollection of my past and accepting, acquiring and arranging what life has brought to me. That day I met someone who I thought would forever be a part of me. My eyes met the pain and my emotions met the lies. We sat there as words poured from his lips and expressed all but the flaws; he told me to never forget the sun. To you this means nothing, but to me this was the start of a new complex understanding of life. Sure sometimes you may feel alone, but nobody can ever take away the simplicity of the sun. I guess that was what I was thinking when condoned the most important thing in my life to slip from my grasp. 

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:09 pm
Jpwriter wrote a review...

first off, wow. that was intense for me it was harmonies. you provide a powerful easily know symbol that most people see everyday and have known all there lives and make you think, and think hard. I've never read something that made me just sit outside for an hour and stair at the sun and the clouds. you understand pretty quickly what's kind of going on to the point it makes you want more. it makes you crave for it, you hear such fluent descriptions that tell you a lot. this sounds like something id enjoy fiercely as a full fledge book. id probably spend days maybe hours trying to find out is going to happen. please continue this.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:23 am
Sujana wrote a review...

I'd like to blame you for me forgetting to study for my chemistry test, because I spent the rest of this evening thinking about the sun.

And I think that's what a short story should do when you're reading it; make you think about all its elements, and the message beneath them. I enjoyed the idea of it--the blind leading the blind, let's say. A relationship like a basin, collecting the rain, then quickly drying in the sunlight.

I'm sure you didn't understand that, because I certainly don't. Moving on from drabbles.

While I did like the work (which is my general reaction to everything and anything that makes me stare at my desk in quiet introspection) I did feel it broke off from the main point in the middle, when you started describing the protagonist as s/he stood up and looked around. If it was made clear in the beginning that we weren't reading a collection of thoughts, I think it'd be better, but that on its own was more or less a nitpick. Leave it, take it, depends entirely on what you want.

And also, let's take that clinician and patient metaphor. Since we know the situation, you could've easily said "Our emotional bond was that of a clinician and their client" or "Our emotional bond was that of a clinician and her client" (assuming the protagonist is a girl).

The good in this shines through, despite my tiny nitpicks. As I said, if I fail my chemistry test it's on you, but I do think it was worth it. I enjoyed my time thinking about the simplicity of our sun, and the complexity of the people she brought life to. It was very good. Hopefully you could edit out the possible kinks, but even if you didn't you've taken my time already. Good job!

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare