Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Narrative

12+

What is your best memory as a teenager with your friends?

by beccalicious94

My favorite memory from being a teenager is sneaking up to the roof of my high school with Micah. We were extremely well-behaved otherwise, and the thought to sneak onto the roof came to us after giving a tour of the school and realizing we could use Micah’s slender and long arms to open the door to the roof from the other side. At first, we were afraid of getting caught. We realized in a school this big, as long as we stayed under the radar we would be fine. A high school whose admission was based on one test taken in the eighth grade, a pressure cooker with one magical release valve from the sardine-packed hallways. We wrote creepy messages that we dropped from the roof onto the courtyard, and into the classroom windows. The part that I miss most though, especially now eight years later, was having the one-on-one quality time lying under the sun and sharing our lives. We both had pretty troubled home lives and it made me feel less alone to know that while everyone has to run in their own lanes, I had someone running in a lane near me on the same track. Since those days, there hasn’t been anything nearly as grounding. My peers are quite literally on their own tracks, ones whose locations escape me and which I would probably not be able to recognize. I think there was something so pure about that friendship connection, a surrogate family in situations with absent parents, a chosen family. Now, it seems that friendships are relegated to a secondary status. Everything is prioritized over them--work, and above all family--whether partners, children, or blood connections. It’s hard for me to understand how what was once the most integral human connection in my life is now a nicety for most if at all. But it can still be a nice memory to treasure, a beacon of light from the past, the tape and glue of teenage years. Maybe it was a proto-partnership. Maybe a special kind of friendship--a soul friend. Maybe that’s what partners are. Maybe all I’m after now is finding another soul companion with the zest of life to sneak onto life’s roof, take a load off, and run in parallel lanes on the same track.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:13 pm
Rosewood wrote a review...

I can see that this is a personal piece, and while it is written well, I hope you don't mind my two small critiques.

We were extremely well-behaved otherwise, and the thought to sneak onto the roof came to us after giving a tour of the school and realizing we could use Micah’s slender and long arms to open the door to the roof from the other side.

First off, I love the effort that is put in your sentences, which are clear but not plain. With this, I only see one thing, you have many not-quite-run-ons. Even with commas and hyphens, my eyes tend to enjoy that pause that comes with periods. This was the only real run-on I could find.

My second and last concern is that I would appreciate paragraph breaks. Combined with the 'not-quite-run-on' problem, I could feel my attention drifting.

Other than that, this piece was refreshing to read and was nicely detailed. I didn't give you full credit for its honesty and wonderful meaning.

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:52 pm
NoobWriterIsHere wrote a review...

Aah, another good memory post. I can't make a critic out of it. Sob Sob, I am sad.
Well, we all miss our memories. While some people tend to forget it, there are plenty who want to cherish them.
Well, let's just say it we all miss our friends and our little mischief. Teacher scolding and telling not to do it again, and yet we repeat it, it's similar to a situation when someone is stuck in a time loop, but in this case we love it.

Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:00 pm
Andrewknorpp says...

I liked this. It was the good part of nostalgia, and that roof story is very pure.
I am still a teenager, so I don't know if I have a right to tell this story, but I will.
Like a year ago me and my brother got back from a party kinda late, like 12:30ish. My parents were gone at the time so we had a family friend at the house to take care of us. The family friend had locked the door into our house because they thought we had gotten back and hadn't told them.
They had also had very astutely remember to lock the back door, all the windows, turned of their phones, and go to bed at a healthy time. So me and my brother were locked out, with no way in. We rung the doorbell a couple times and nobody woke up. We could have just rung the doorbell a ton until someone noticed, but I have a big family (11 people) not to mention the friends had a baby, so we thought, 'hey, we could just, not go in until morning,' so we didn't. We spent the night on my porch, playing games, listening to music, telling stories, and generally being idiots. It was pretty fun, my brother was seventeen then, and he's eighteen and gone on a church mission now, so it was nice to have that quality time with him before he left.

nice memory

Andrewknorpp says...

Thanks, it is.

All hail the mighty Glow Cloud.
— Welcome to Night Vale