Why sad poems?

by anne27

Poems are becoming rare from me now

Things are just too fast at times

And that's why even when writing one

I don't really worry about the rhyme.

So much is going on in my life

And yet, I  can't think of anything to write

There is a conflict going between

The darkness and the light...

What do I write about-

The good or the bad?

The elation or the inadequacy

The happy or the sad?

I end up choosing the latter, because

For my smiles, people are great cheerers

My tears, on the other hand,

Are becoming too much for the mirrors...

Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:59 pm
BornToBeGreat says...

anne27 says...

Thanks a lot for the review BornToBeGreat! It made my day!!<3

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:45 pm
bnnina wrote a review...

Hi!
First of all, love this. Your topic is one of great interest. I like how you contrast it to "the darkness and the light'. Later on in the poem you start rhyming more words which offers more flow to the piece than earlier where its more as if somebody is talking. I like how its seems to build like this.
Your word choice has a strong effect on the purpose making the emotional effect stronger
( inadequacy, darkness, and conflict)
Well done

anne27 says...

Thanks a lot bnnina ! It means a lot <3

eilisBK wrote a review...

I really like the title of this poem, as well as the poem itself. I thought the poem might be sad, but there was a very strong sense of apathy from this piece.

This is going to seem like such an odd thing to point out but I loved your use of inadequacy. It's a favourite word of mine and it just fits so well into your piece.

One little bit of feedback I do have is that you seem to change POV a little bit. You start the piece out by saying "me", and the reader goes in thinking this is going to be a first person piece but you switch to second person by saying "your life, you don't worry etc.". and then you switch back to first person with "my tears". I would suggest sticking with one point of view just for continuity's sake.

Overall, however, I really loved your piece and I look forward to reading your future works.

anne27 says...

Thanks a lot for the review eilisBK! I do agree with what you said , I hope changing it to 1st person all through makes it better!! Thanks again :)

pineapple321 wrote a review...

Hi, anne27,

I really enjoyed reading your poem. It was so realistic and relatable to me. It was almost like you were reading my thoughts!

My absolute favorite lines were, "What do I write about/The good or the bad?/The elation or the inadequacy,/The happy or the sad?" It was kind of describing writer's block in a way. The ending was beautiful. It shows that for some, it is easier to write about more positive things instead of negative things.

Overall, this was a great poem. It had a good format and consistent rhythm. I can't wait to see more of your writings!

Signed,
Pineapple

anne27 says...

Thanks a ton for the review Pineapple! It means a lot to me<3

pineapple321 says...

Anytime :-)!

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire