z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

This Moment

by WyvrynScribe


I can't believe this is so old. I wrote it in 7th grade, but I still think it's not terrible so I may or may not post this. ;^; enjoy. EDIT! I polished it up and tried not rhyming.

Have you ever stopped to think,
When will you forget this?
This moment, such a small step,
So temporary in your mind.

Will you remember your lonely nights
Gazing into the deep black sky?
Should you leave behind the pain,
Kiss bad memories goodbye?

Of the golden memories you have,
Do any of them stay the same?
Worn down by time and thought,
As they replay inside your brain?

Every second is so precious,
Yet of them you have to choose.
What will survive as mere impressions,
And what will vanish like the dust?

Your life passes so slowly it seems,
But you leave things behind.
Don't take your life for granted,
The gift of today is no promise of tomorrow.

So take this tiny piece of time,
And cherish its small power.
For this fleeting moment,
May only last an hour.

Oh. Hey look. I posted it. Wow.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey. I started on this Saturday night but then came 'the no water or electricity saga', so all of my reviews have been set back a few days.

Sometimes I make very odd connections between two things that I see and your poem really reminds me of a Drifters song from the 60s. You might know this song but I'm thinking of "This Magic Moment", the most overused songs in television commercial history. Probably a bad connection to make this early on because that sets a mood in both the writer's and reviewer's mouth.

I don't know why I keep mentioning these things but instead let's just take it from the top.

Have you ever stopped to think,
When will you forget this?

To me opening lines tell the most about a work and you will soon learn that I judge the majority of a piece by this beginning point. At this line, I'm actually pretty interested because while it is rather simple, it still brings on enough attraction to the piece. I'm always drawn to pieces that use questions even when they're used so repetitively like this. To have the reader wondering this big right off the bat, could go sour really quickly but I was surprised when it didn't, so good job there.

A note for the next time you post something but that little thing at the bottom and top about posting, you might want to separate into an author's note at the bottom. Currently it's a bit confusing because it's all tumbled in together. So for the first section I could tell it apart but later on I kinda skipped over it and didn't realize at first that it wasn't part of the poem.

Your poem has been picked over pretty good so I think I'll just jump around to the end where there was one particular stanza that interested me. At least I'm guessing it was supposed to be a stanza.
So take this moment, minute, minor thing.
And cherish its small power.
For this moment, minute, minor thing,
may only last an hour.

Both repetition and an off rhyme scheme seems to be degrading the value of this final line. Where it should have been the most powerful thing and left with the reader really thinking about it, I'm kinda meh on the whole thing. I think really that you need to work on the lead up to the final line, more than the lines itself. Not really sure if that makes sense but if you'd like, I can give you further explanation at a further time.

For now, I've got to dash.
~Liz




WyvrynScribe says...


I've never heard of that song, that or have but never remembered it (I'm such a hypocrite ;-;) but I'm glad it made you remember something pleasant! I changed up the rhyming and tried to polish it a bit, try giving it a read! The last stanza got a pretty big makeover too!



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 222
Reviews: 25

Donate
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:30 am
vetas wrote a review...



Hello there! First of all, grammar is not my strongest so no review about grammar.

But... The poem is wonderful! I really do love it. The deep meaning about memories and time. I like poems that get you to think. It makes me think about my life and my memories. So many missed chances and so many memories already lost.. What inspired you to write this? I would love to hear the story.

Thank you and keep writing!

Have a great day!




WyvrynScribe says...


I actually wrote this for a school assignment at first! I wanted to do something meaningful, and got caught up in trying to find something I forgot what was going on. It led me to write about forgetfulness, and evolved into this!



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:31 am
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi there! Congrats on posting your first poem! I'm here to give a review, I'll be using different categories to organize my points: Formatting, Wording, Specificity, & Theme.

Formatting
So I know you said you were having some difficulty formatting, there's not really an easy trick to put in stanza breaks except to use coding. If you read through this article: How to Format Poetry you should be able to find what you need.

I would also recommend putting author's notes (your first and last little lines that aren't really part of the poem) in an off-set manner to make it clear that they aren't part of the poem. You could italicize them or write "Author's Note" beside them just to make it clear. I do love that you included a little author's note though, as these are helpful for reviewers to get a sense of the author and where they're coming from/what they might like in a review.

Last point on formatting is that you're capitalization/grammar was a bit inconsistent. Sometimes you capitalized the first word of a fragment sentence ("And cherish its small power.") and then sometimes you left fragment beginnings lowercased "and which one shall you loose?" You put end line punctuation in almost every line, but sometimes the commas or periods came in the middle of a sentence. This made the poem look a little less polished than it could be, so I would go back through and make it consistent. To be clear, it's perfectly fine to have all the beginnings of lines capitalized or to just capitalize at beginnings of sentences - those are stylistic choices that have different effects, but when something is inconsistent it just creates an expectation that there's some hidden meaning or that it's all just random.

Wording
So I didn't mind the rhyming for the most part, and thought it actually helped with the flow of the piece. I would say that it might be good to try to make sure you don't rhyme words with the same word ie. you rhymed "minor thing" with "minor thing" in the 2nd to last & 4th to last lines.

You use a lot of language to portray something being "precious" and end up sort of dancing around that word with different synonyms. You do the same with the word "minute". Rather than using the words quite so frequently and finding different synonyms I think you have the opportunity to employ even more meaning by using a metaphor to portray what is "precious" or "minute". That would really leave readers with some concrete image to take from your poem's message.

Overall though, your word choice was fairly strong and you did a good job editing for spelling mistakes as well.

Specificity
I think specificity is one aspect that lacked in this piece. I could sort of follow the narrative progression of the piece, but I didn't have very much concrete imagery or ideas to hold on to. This made it difficult to have any emotional attachment to the poem. For example you use phrases like "golden memories" which is an interesting phrase but it's a little empty. As the reader I want an example of this "golden memory" so that I can understand where the speaker is coming from. There were other examples, like "leave things behind" and "this moment" where I wanted the speaker to clarify exactly what they were speaking about.

Sometimes authors are afraid to be too specific because it might alientate people who haven't had that specific experience before. But it's something that has to be balanced. If you're overly specific then it might seem strange and unrelatable, but if you're too vague then it's hard to actually understand what's being said. Giving a few specific examples can trigger memories and emotional connection of a reader's own experience that allows them to better remember and understand the poem.

An example of where you do specificity well is in these lines:

"Will you remember your lonely nights
gazing into the deep black sky?"


Here you actually describe something specific and as a reader I can connect to that imagery more clearly.

Theme
So I took the theme of this piece to be about memories and time passing. In the first part of the poem the speaker voices concern about forgetting treasured moments of their past. In the second portion of the poem they address time and say that it is precious and something that should be treasured. The poem may serve as a call to action to cherish the present and also the past, because there may be a time when it is all forgotten.

It's an interesting theme and is reminiscent of some of Shakespeare's sonnets about time passing actually. I think that this theme is also something many readers will be able to relate to.

Overall
So overall, this is really quite a nice poem, with an excellent message to sort of "carpe diem" / seize the day! I would love to see a little bit more specificity in the poem itself in order to make the theme connect with readers more. And in my opinion a little more editing could be done in capitalization and punctuation to make the poem look a bit more polished.

Nice work! I look forward to reading more of your poetry in the future! If you have any questions about my review, please don't hesitate to ask.

~alliyah




WyvrynScribe says...


I tried adding in more specificity(That's a hard word to spell @-@) and I think it turned out well! I also changed up some of the wording and took away the rhyming to try to give myself more freedom.



alliyah says...


Ah I like the changes, not sure if you changed the last stanza or not, but I thought that had a good punch at the end as well.



User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 am
Lumi wrote a review...



In this review, I will not hound you for your rhymes as they're not abnormally forced. They're not unpleasant. They're amateurish, but they do not break the spine of literature and drive away in the rain.

Your message is fair and positive, grounded in a strong lesson that we all need to slow down or risk losing the smallest joys we have, which are precious to us--or should be.

All that said, you're missing connective tissue between your narration and your preaching to really bring justice to the two core elements. What this means is that, while your theme shines through, there's no underlying metaphor recurring in the piece to really zip it up nicely. My suggestion is to try it without rhymes, find that underlying metaphor, then return it to whatever state you wish. Rhyme and meter are meant to be advanced techniques; they are not the foundations of poetry.

Take this with a grain of salt.
Ty




WyvrynScribe says...


Thanks! Sorry this is so late. I tried it out without rhyme and I think It ended up a bit better, feel free to check it out!



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 2960
Reviews: 32

Donate
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:53 am
SnowGhost says...



Awesome! I love it. I wrote a poem similar but not nearly as good




WyvrynScribe says...


Thanks! I don't think comparison is good, each work should be judged separately. I'll give yours a read, though!




History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.
— Karl Marx