z

Young Writers Society



A twist

by WyvrynScribe


So this takes place in a Medieval time period and is really just me thinking about... Things which I will reveal later.

At the time of day

When all are home

Doors are shut

And streets abandoned

One person walks

Through waste filled streets

Through the stagnant valley

Of the great range of houses

They are a lonely one

Young and innocent

Graced with beauty

Cursed with folly

She wanders looking

For something new

A great untold story

Amid this rancid land

Out of the town

Of broken souls

And backs and bridges

To the forest where

Creatures stalk

A entrancing soliloquy

Comes to her ear,

So she looks for

The source of song.

A lone handsome man

Of dark robes

And pale circumstance

Mourns a fallen flower.

She harks his call

And walks to his side,

To see the broken petals.

He reminiscences of

Lost love and life

Romancing our girl

Of soft heart.

She answers with

Shame on those

Who destroy such

Natural tranquil beauty.

He notices her,

Surprised by 

How alike they are

In heart and moral

She kneels to pay

Respects to the broken

Flower and looks to

Then lonely man.

He smiles and kisses

Her soft un-calloused hand

With grace and poise

Of a noble man.

She is flattered

Yet is sad

That she cannot stay

For duties call her back to town.

He insists to her

That she leave

The traitorous land

And come with him.

She hesitates 

Before realizing

This is what she wanted, 

Accepting his offer.

He takes her hand,

She closes her eyes,

And soon one less innocent

Is in the world.

Open to interperatation! Basicly me hating on the stupid girl-meets-kindhearted-guy-and-abandones-evil-town-or-place-or-something-and-gets-married. It's probably terrible but I want to work on it.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:35 am
Kale wrote a review...



Hello there and happy RevMo (even if I am a bit late to the reviewing party)! I, a bold Knight of the Green Room, am here today to review you.

With that said, first impressions first, I noticed that the lines of your poem are quite a bit spaced out, and it looks like you've run into a formatting snafu with the text editor. There are a few ways to fix this, and this article goes over multiple methods in-depth, though this one is also really good.

The poem overall felt a bit choppy as I was reading it as well due to how short the lines are, and I got the impression that you broke the lines up according to how they looked rather than how they read. While that's perfectly acceptable in a form poem, this piece doesn't appear to have any form that it is following, and so the line breaks feel a bit haphazard when it comes to how ideas and the words themselves when read aloud flow (or don't) between each other.

I would recommend playing around more with the placement of your line breaks, and there's a pretty comprehensive article on the topic of breaking lines and stanzas that I highly recommend you take a look at for ideas and some theory behind line and stanza breaks. There's also this article on punctuation in poetry that you might also find interesting.

They are a lonely one

This line stuck out to me like a sore thumb because within the next few lines, you specifically refer to the person as a she, which left me wondering why you didn't refer to her as "she" here. Ambiguity is fun and all, but this struck me as a case of being unnecessarily ambiguous.

Overall, I feel like you could make this poem a lot stronger if you played around with its structure a bit more, especially with regards to your line lengths. Adding in stanzas would also be something to consider, and you could use it to set off the twist to give it a bit more impact. Right now, visually, it just blends into the rest of the poem and thus winds up a bit lost.




User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:53 am
sheysse wrote a review...



Hey there! Shey here for a review!

First, I'll start by welcoming you to the site! If you ever have any questions, you can ask any names in red or green. :) Enjoy!

Overall, nice piece. It was enjoyable, and successfully portrayed the message which it was meant to. However, as always, I have some comments. Let's jump right into them.

Firstly, I don't see the need for the author's note at the beginning. You don't need to tell us that this takes place in medieval times. You need to show us. And you did, for the most part. The boy wearing robes, him being described as noble. Your choice of description helps get this idea across. However, I want to see more. Maybe some descriptions about horse hooves, or trotting horses, since they're pretty medieval-y. Farming and smithing were also huge parts of medieval life, so I think that you maybe could add some of that to this too.

You say at the end that the piece is probably terrible, but I would disagree. It's not perfect, but no poem ever is. Easily my favorite part is the gently satirical voice of the piece. I do love me some sarcasm and satire, so this piece really resonated within me. Granted, I don't really have any thoughts on the topic you're teasing, but either way, I appreciate it.

Overall, great job! Keep up the great work, cause I look forward to seeing more from you!

~Shey~





By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.
— Winston Churchill