z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Adventurer, Warrior, Girl

by Wallflower23


When the girl was young, she liked to play the disappearing game. She played often, usually when the house became too small and the air became dense with words that tasted like hatred in her mouth. She would slip through the white backdoor into the woods, walk until she felt suitably lost and her feet ached.

As she walked, she became The Adventurer.

The Adventurer did not fear the woods. She looked on to the endless hills rolling before her, the forest of pine rising around her, and felt the tightness in her chest loosen. Wonder filled her and she wished to see what was over the next hill, behind the next tree. Out here, where all was quiet, her spirit was borne on the warm breeze that stirred the pine needles. Free. The world was at peace, with only her and the forest in it. She waltzed, weightless, through the undergrowth and marveled at the dense foliage around her until she tumbled into a clearing. The Adventurer chose a tree with sparse branches, lied down in the bed of soft needles beneath it, and stared up through the tangle of boughs at the exquisite cerulean blue sky. As she stared at that unending blue The Adventurer needed to feel a different kind of brave.

So she became The Warrior.

Where The Adventurer had the kind of fearlessness that comes from unending curiosity, The Warrior had the fearlessness that pumped through the heart of a lion, wielding the calm found in the eye of a hurricane. She drew her sword against monsters and planted herself in the way of armies. Her battle cry, a deep bellow, let loose from where it was trapped inside, harmonizing with the blood call of the bugle. It was all fury and defiance and the demand for something more. The Warrior had fearless friends that fought by her side. They had taken up arms against enemies. Fought together. Bled together. Killed together. Laughed together. Cried together. Together they expelled evil and cruelty and hate.

The Warrior rose from her lounging position on the ground. With a new sense of courage coursing through her veins she began the long trek back home. As the white door came into view, she swung it open with the bravado of The Adventurer. But her borrowed confidence wavered when she passed the threshold.

Here, between these walls, she was not The Adventurer.

She was not The Warrior.

She was simply The Girl.

A small and insignificant person scared of the walls and the people they caged. The Warrior’s armor fell to the ground and shattered. Her fearlessness was swept away in the wind. Standing plain and vulnerable in her living room she’s reminded of why she wanted to leave. She can’t escape now that she’s back. The sun is slipping beyond the horizon.

The Girl retreats, unnoticed, into her room, curling into the cave she’s made around her bed from draping blankets. She plucks her book from its place under her pillow. The Adventurer grins wildly at the new frontier looming from the pages in her hands. The Warrior laughs at the danger ahead, knowing her friends are standing stalwart by her side. Together they know that they can get through anything.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 6980
Reviews: 70

Donate
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 am
Euphory wrote a review...



Hey!!! This piece made me feel really good, in fact, your descriptions, themes, emotions, literally the way you conveyed everything in this story made me feel like I was going through the journey with the girl myself! I really felt like an Adventurer first, then a Warrior and then I felt so sad when The Girl was the final result...until both sides of her personality came back together as they read a book! I loved that you ended the story this way!

The opening was also very strong! I was hooked since the first line!

Overall, I think this was a fantastic piece and I'm really looking forward to your next works!!! Thank you so much for sharing and keep growing <3




User avatar
1485 Reviews


Points: 154066
Reviews: 1485

Donate
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:33 pm
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hello!

Welcome to YWS :)
I'm here to leave you a quick review.

When the girl was young, she liked to play the disappearing game. She played often, usually when the house became too small and the air became dense with words that tasted like hatred in her mouth

A beautiful start, I really love the description of words tasting like hatred. It really sets the scene here.

Out here, where all was quiet, her spirit was borne on the warm breeze that stirred the pine needles. Free. The world was at peace, with only her and the forest in it.

I really like this, but I think it would be more impactful if you separated it out to it's own paragraph. The tone is somewhat lost in the big paragraph you have it in at the moment.

That's actually all I have for this one. I think it works really well in this format at this length and has beautiful themes throughout. Thanks for the very enjoyable read!

Icy




User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 26
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 pm
Rosewood wrote a review...



Well, I am back! This was a lovely story; simple but effective. In order of appearance, I only have but one small correction.

Minor Corrections

She would slip through the white back door into the woods, and walk until she felt suitably lost and her feet ached.


I think that there is a space between 'back' and 'door', (but I'm not sure, so take that into consideration). I also think you need to add an 'and' after 'woods'.

Major Corrections

None!

I wish I could help you out more, but this was just too well-written. I absolutely loved the imagery and the deeper meaning behind the girl's freedom from the house. You are an extremely talented writer and I look forward to more of your works!

~ Rose




Wallflower23 says...


Oh gosh this is so sweet! Sorry for not having gotten back sooner!

Thank you so much for the edits. I will try to fix things accordingly but we'll see if I have the time ':I

I'm glad you the imagery and the emotions! That was sort of my focus for this piece.

Thank you for the kind words, they mean the world to me!



User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 26
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:30 pm
View Likes
Rosewood says...



Aw, this was such a heartwarming story! (I may come back later to give it a full review)





There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke