From Books

by VintageGirl

I want the happily-ever-after from books,

Epilogues with secret shared looks.

Tropes like enemies to lovers,

Forbidden-kiss hovers,

Knowing everything will end up alright.

.

I want to be the smart girl that solves a murder,

And will always fall for her partner.

I want the sassy remarks,

Maybe a body in the park,

Don’t stress cause you know she’ll survive.

.

I don’t care for chasing after the magic,

The absence of dragons isn't tragic.

I just want the hope,

Things to do and not mope,

I want the fun and the light and everything nice—

.

I want the happily-ever-after from books.

AriesBookworm wrote a review...

Don't we all want a happy ending to our lives? We all want everything to be okay, to be smarter, faster, stronger, and better than what we are. We all want true love, to find the perfect person to fall in love with. But of course, not everything is perfect. We live in a broken reality where nothing is perfect. But, we can always delve into TV shows and books to escape the reality we live in. Life is not perfect, not in the slightest, but we can do things to make life better. We do not have to complain bitterly about life. We do not have to be bitter about life or be a bitter person. We can always make things better.

Bita says...

Wow I really liked your Poem. It sounds so nice reading it outloud and it's very relatable.

Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:21 pm

I liked this poem.We all want to escape reality and live in books because usually with happily ever after books,everything works out in the end and justice is served.But with life,justice is almost never served and life is messy.I can relate to this.I’d like to escape to books.My whole self is filled.I hope that you have an amazing and lovely day and night.

Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:09 pm
PoetryMisfit wrote a review...

Hi VintageGirl.

This poem really hit home with me, I could connect to all of the examples you lyrically divulged. This poem engaged my desire to be transported into the book I'm reading and engage with the characters.

First stanza:
When others ask I've always said that the guy of my dreams exists in fiction.
It's interesting because I was just thinking earlier about how good the relationships often pan out in books, and how perfect in comparison they seem to reality. Unfortunately we can't get inside the minds of those around us the way the author can for her characters and choose how our interactions unfold.

Second stanza:
Life can seem so dull when compared to the adventures characters embark on in books. The second stanza gives me the impression that the narrator is a daydreamer. That even she yearns for more than what her life currently offers. Living vicariously through the characters in books can be fun for a time, but the crash back to reality is inevitable.

Third Stanza:
This portion is the pull back to reality, after divulging the adventures she wishes she could experience, the narrator knows life can be just as good without magic or dragons. This poem beautifully expresses what I think we all long for - a life that is fulfilling. We have the power to write our own stories and create our own happily-ever-afters.

This poem is beautiful, touching on the innate desire within so many of us to life a fulfilling life. This poem captures the mind of us readers/book lovers so well, the examples you used so relatable (especially the enemies-to-lovers trope because that is one of my personal favorites). The ending was also very encouraging because to me you are saying that we can still achieve our own adventures, and have a happily-ever-after.

Thank you for posting this! I look forward to reading more from you.

-Poetry Misfit

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi