z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

Average, chapter 1 (rough draft)

by Trashcan


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Yes umm... This is the rough draft of a story I'm writing. Couple things you should know before you read: 1. most of the chapters are super short. 2. I'm very inexperienced in writing. 3. This story has some sensitive subjects later on that probably don't go against the guidelines, just a warning. 4. The point of view changes every chapter, the date does not always. That is all for now.   -Trashcan

September 5th: Moriah

I hate that alarm clock. When it rings, it means it’s time to get out of bed. And the only times I need to get out of bed is before school and before church. One is a place of worship. The other is a place for learning. Both are places with people.

I pull the cord on the alarm clock. Technically, you’re not supposed to do this, but frankly, Scarlet, I don’t care. Great. Now I can’t see what time it is. Too early, I know that much. I roll out of bed and put on my clothes for the day. Green Lantern t-shirt and jeans with holes in the knees. Grey zip-up jacket for good measure. Why bother dressing nicely on the first day if you’re going to dress all casual on days 2-186? I head to the kitchen to make breakfast. The microwave clock says 6:04. Not even god wakes up this early.

I make myself cereal. Off-brand rice crispies. All I ever have. They taste like impending doom.

I borrow lunch money from my brothers piggy bank. Borrow isn’t quite the right word, but I’m sure he won’t notice, and if he does he probably won’t care. I grab my backpack from a hook in the foyer. I look at the clock again, 6:21. School is a half hour walk from home and I need to be there at 7, so I should head out about now.

It’s kinda chilly. I’m glad I wore a jacket. I can see seagulls in the distance, we didn’t really have those in Indiana. They’re pretty cute, actually, the way they waddle around without having to worry about tests or homework or people. I hear footsteps. Please don’t talk to me. I’m tired. Whoever you are, I can’t deal with you. I glance behind me. She’s not looking at me. Good. She has white headphones on. She’s holding a small pink notebook. Her shirt says ‘I’m dead inside’. I smile a little and keep walking.

Mom texts me.

Did you already leave?

Yeah

You're supposed to wait till we woke up so we can say goodbye to you!

If I waited for you I would’ve been late

Wait for us to wake up tomorrow please

K

Whatever.

The girl looks at me. We make eye contact for a split second. She looks away and runs away from me. Well, that was strange. I don’t trust her. I’m probably just tired. Somehow even more so than when I woke up.

There’s still about 10 minutes till I get to the school. I look at my phone to check the time. 6:55. Whatever. I don’t feel like running. If I’m late, I’m late. So what. No big deal. It’s only the first day, they’ll probably forgive me. Plus, if I run, I’ll encounter that girl again. I don’t ever want to see her again. Especially not now.

Finally, I get to the school. I glance at my phone. 7:03. I have to power walk to my locker. No running in the halls after all. How is everybody else already in homeroom? I get my books and head into homeroom with Mrs. Shepard, who is also my English teacher.

I walk through the door. Everyone turns their head to stare at me. “Oh! Perfect timing! This is the new student I was talking about. Everyone say hello to...” She pauses. “Mary?”

"Moriah."

“Right! We hope you enjoy it here at our wonderful school!” This lady seems to love her job a lot. Too much, actually.

“Thanks.” My voice breaks. A couple girls in the back snicker a little. They’re all wearing ponytails, 2 have their hair dyed blonde. 3 have the tips of their hair dyed bright red. 1 seems to have dyed her hair blonde AND red. I can already tell. They are not my friends.

“You’ll be sitting over here, next to Tuesday and Alex.” One is some boy with green eyes and blonde hair. The other is that girl from earlier. Tuesday, huh? She seems uncomfortable when I sit down next to her. She pulls out that same pink notebook and scribbles something down. Getting a closer look at her, she’s actually really pretty, I take back what I said about never wanting to see her again. Long, dark, curly hair. Her eyes are a light shade of brown. Yellowy almost. She looks tired. After a moment I realize both me and the boy are staring at her. She’s sweating a little and her eyes are alternating between looking at me, the boy, and the table. Her arm is stiff.

I can’t concentrate on the lesson. All I can tell is Mrs. Shepard is rambling on about ‘positivity traits’, they’re basically character traits, but only positive ones. And there’s like, 12 million of ‘em. She seems bored by her own lecture.

Next, we did a scavenger hunt around the school. We had to find the staff that had signs with our positivity words around their necks. As a group.

In case you forgot since you last went to school, everything is harder when you’re in a group, at least for me. Ironically, an exercise that is supposed to teach us about positivity made me hate just about everyone in this stupid school. There was arguing and yelling. Mostly from other groups. Tuesday is kind of a zombie and whats-his-face is unreadable. He seems distracted and far off all the time. I don’t know what he’s thinking.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 1508
Reviews: 52

Donate
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:47 pm
View Likes
jimss23 wrote a review...



Yo.

Jimmy here.

Thought I would come by and do a little review. So, here it goes.

First, my usual disclaimer. I have no grammar skills so if you need help there I am not your man. Also, I don't censor myself well, so if I say anything offensive just know that I probably didn't mean it.

Ok, on to the business at hand.

1) I think you need to show more than tell in the first part of your story. You give everything like you are listing things off rather than trying to tell a story. Now, it's not that big of a change, just weave everything together and make some things more abstract rather than going right out and saying it and you're golden.

2) I am feeling that there are certain parts of the story where you state things that would no doubt make sense if I had proper context, but without that context, end up being a little confusing. Take, for example, the part about the seagulls. With proper context, it makes perfect sense. She moved, she used to live in Indiana, etc. But, without explaining all of that first, it makes everything a little more confusing.

3) Just a suggestion, but I think your work would benefit from italicizing character thoughts. Right now, you blend exposition and thought seamlessly. Having a distinction helps the reader differentiate between actions, descriptions, and whatnot from thoughts. When I read a work and see italics, I instantly know I'm getting a peek inside the mind of the character and that can be really cool.

4) There are parts of this work I think you could cut out. The part about the lunch money seems to interrupt the flow of the work. That is just a personal thing, but I advise it none the less.

5) I would give the teacher a little bit more dialogue. An excerpt from her lecture, for example, could hammer home the idea that it is super boring with just a few words. Using dialogue is like using a shortcut. You can express things or convey scenes just using words. To me at least, that is really cool, so a big recommendation there.

6) I would love to see the chapter end on an event that leads nicely into the next chapter. Right now, it feels like it stops suddenly. Having a strong ending to the first chapter can make or break a book. Endings are what makes great books page-turners, and here at YWS, our mission is to help you achieve greatness!

Alright, final notes. As others have said before, it's a little choppy, but hey, we all have stuff to work on (Especially me. God, my stuff is rough). You only need a few changes here and there and you will be rolling down the right path.

Now for the positive stuff. If your bio is correct then you are a very good writer for one so young! I know I could never have produced something like this at your age so I congratulate you there! So far, you have a very engaging story. From down below you can clearly tell that people enjoyed reading your work and I count myself among them.

Hope I didn't say anything that offended you. I also hope this review helps!

Cheers,

A laughing man




Trashcan says...


Hey! Thanks for the in-depth review, you didn't say anything offensive, don't worry. I appreciate that you brought some things to light that I didn't notice when writing, like the thing about italics. That's kind of how I've always written, so that may be a tough habit to break. If you want to read more of this story, there's another chapter out right now and I'm planning on doing another later today. That's all I have to say here, thanks for your input! :D -Trashcan



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 156

Donate
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:11 pm
KatjaDawn wrote a review...



Hey there! Welcome to YWS and thank you for sharing the first part of your story! I'm still pretty new myself, so bear with me for a review.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this. I love that the main character isn't afraid to be herself and has such a laid back personality. Although, I feel like she is a bit ostracized and I hope she gains a bit of confidence in the coming chapters, but that all depends on the plot. I'm very interested to see where you take this, with a title like "Average"and a plot that is only just unraveling. I'm excited to read the next chapter for sure!

My favorite parts:

They’re pretty cute, actually, the way they waddle around without having to worry about tests or homework or people.

I chuckled at this part. Honestly, that was a creative way to show the character's disdain for school-life and people.

Tuesday is kind of a zombie and whats-his-face is unreadable.

This as well as the other lines like it, I absolutely love about this story so far. Certain parts had me chuckling and other's were pretty relatable. The story being told with the character's thoughts is making it a very interesting and VERY far-from-bland read.

My suggestions:

There are times where you write really short sentences, and while I like that it shows the character's thoughts, sometimes it feels choppy. I would work on longer or more detailed sentences, without taking away from the same dialogue-like way you have of writing it.

Did you already leave?

Yeah

You're supposed to wait till we woke up so we can say goodbye to you!

If I waited for you I would’ve been late

Wait for us to wake up tomorrow please

K


Maybe here, add "Mom" & "Me" in front of the text? Or in some way separate who is talking/texting which part. It's not hard to see who is talking, but it would be easier to read like this.

A couple girls in the back snicker a little. They’re all wearing ponytails, 2 have their hair dyed blonde. 3 have the tips of their hair dyed bright red. 1 seems to have dyed her hair blonde AND red.


Try spelling the numbers out, as it read much better. On another note, I feel like adding a bit more personality to them would help differentiate them from the cliche group of "mean girls" snickering at the new girl.

My only other suggestions would be to be careful how quickly you jump around in the story. You don't have to detail every character action (also something to be careful with, as the time checking and her morning start seems very drawn out at times) but jumping around gives it a choppy feel. I also feel like the other characters in the story don't have any real feel to them. I think it would help to give the characters more personality, as you focus a lot on the appearances instead. A good balance would help maker them feel more realistic.

And I'm curious as to if this is being told as a story to someone? because...
but frankly, Scarlet, I don’t care.

and...
In case you forgot since you last went to school,

It almost seems like this story is being directly told to someone... More of a curiosity than a suggestion xD

Again, I am really excited to see where you take this story. Moriah is a very relatable character, and I often found myself chuckling at her commentary/thoughts. Like seriously, that seagull part? and one of the last lines..
Ironically, an exercise that is supposed to teach us about positivity made me hate just about everyone in this stupid school.

I love this character's style. I'll be keeping an eye out for the coming chapters! :)

Keep writing,

-Katja




Trashcan says...


Thanks for the in-depth review! I agree that my sentences are choppy and most of the background characters are boring, I'll try to fix that in future installments. The story isn't being told, it's just kind of my writing style to talk to the reader a little bit when I'm writing. I started writing like that when I was eight or nine, and it's kinda stuck with me since then, it's a habit I'm trying to break.



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 10

Donate
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:26 am
Shootingmoons wrote a review...



Hey! Soooo I noticed you were new here, so I just want to say... Welcome!

Anyways, I am not going to go into full detail, I'm just going to nit-pick a 'lil bit ;)

I noticed several grammar mistakes. I just want to point out that you used digits for words that don't need to be numbers, and instead need to be words. Always spell out words under ten.

For example, I could say I had one bagel for breakfast. Never say, "1 bagel," it's just not correct grammar.

I also noticed, grammar-wise, that you're really choppy in your writing. You used a BUNCH of periods. Using too much doesn't give the piece flow. I am not going to go into full detail about this one.


Plot wise though, it's interesting. You address your time, setting, and situation alright. The piece just felt... unbalanced to me. Keep in mind that you're not the only one seeing this, you will have an audience, and you'll need to appeal to them. The choppy writing makes me very uncomfortable, and probably to others readers as well. Like I said above, remember to have balance ;)


I really enjoyed the simplicity of it though :D

Keep writing, practice makes perfect!




Trashcan says...


Yeah, I only realized how short and choppy most of it was after I wrote it. Thanks for the insight on the numbers, I didn't know that. :)



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 2160
Reviews: 91

Donate
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:26 am
AlyTheBookworm says...



Gotta go to bed, so I can't write a full review atm, but I love this. It was a nice surprise- I wasn't expecting to find any works that I'd like (was just skimming through some stuff in the green room). I'll just say that I love how easy it is to read, I like Moriah's character, and I'm curious about Tuesday and Moriah's relationship with her family. Will definitely read the next chapter when you write it. :)




Trashcan says...


I'm glad you like it! :) I won't spoil anything major, just a warning, but most of the characters don't have a very good relationship with their parents. There's no physical child abuse or anything, just some things it isn't good to do as a parent.




"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda