z

Young Writers Society



Reliving Sentiment

by TinyDancer


Maybe you’ll read this, maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll wonder what happened—what went wrong. I don’t think it can be followed to a certain date or time in our young histories, but although I can’t tell you the “when,” I do know the “why.”
I changed. You didn’t. I had some growing up to do, and you decided you didn’t want to come with me. So here I am, thinking about you again, listening to Rocky Raccoon and fondly remembering us laying on our backs in the motionless elevator as you played it or me for the first time. We realized that “high” is a very relative term indeed and then we laughed about it for a bit too long.

You blazed my musical trail for me that day, and please believe me when I say that I will forever cherish that. No matter how much I grow to dislike you, no matter how many times you lodge that old knife into my back, I’ll always have that memory to look back on and remind myself that the decision I made in befriending you wasn’t worthless.
I really do wish the best for you in this life you’ve decided not to leave. I hope you finally find someone who thinks you’re worth their love. And not just their physical love—their heart and soul love. I think everyone deserves that. Even you.
Maybe you’ll read this and wonder if it’s about you. And if you ask me, like the good friend I’ve always been to you, I’ll say no, of course not. But you’ll know the truth. And maybe the silence that follows my wet paper lie will send the message I haven’t been brave enough to vocalize. I’m ready for the future now. And although we swore to be the exception, I’ve made up my mind that you won’t be the best friend who comes with me into my future.
I truly am grateful for the times we had. And there was a point when I would not have hesitated in naming you as my best friend. But that time is over, and maybe if you read this, you will finally realize that and stop trying to relive sentiment.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
884 Reviews


Points: 28282
Reviews: 884

Donate
Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:59 pm
View Likes
StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...



Wow, I can relate to this so much. It's a beautiful short piece that's brimming with mixed emotions and a swirling culmination of love/hate. It's something that anyone who's been in that complex kind of relationship can connect to with sad acknowledgement. I know that I can, at least. The way it was written was very forgiving, which I liked, but simultaneously managed to retain an edge to say "It's over." I didn't see any grammar errors, and truly enjoyed this piece.

Keep writing. :D




TinyDancer says...


Thank you so much for your kind word. Just knowing that someone else has felt the same as I do and can relate to this piece makes me feel a bit better :) thanks for your review

~Jess



User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 2453
Reviews: 77

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:48 pm
View Likes
Craz says...



You just blew my mind. No kidding. My brain-guts are all over the back of my chair now, and my dog is licking some of it up. The first paragraph hooks the reader in, because it offers a wide range of things for the reader to guess what its about. I love how you used the "when and why" part to really get the reader going. It took me awhile to figure out what was happening, but all in all it was like I said before; MIND-BLOWING. A slight error in the second paragraph on the forth sentence. Good work :)




TinyDancer says...


Thank you for your lovely review :) I really appreciate your compliments and I will fix that error as soon as I can.

~Jess




I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal