z

Young Writers Society



Reality Chapter 1

by TheWeirdoFromBeyond


Note- This is an edited version.

Before you can ask me for introductions and about the story, let me tell you that if you are reading this right now then it must be fate. You are destined to either fight alongside 'The Chosen One' from the great prophecy in the war to come or you are 'The Chosen One'. 

Either way, it is your wish if you want to accept your fate and take your place in the world you don't know exists yet or continue living the way you always have, thinking this is just a piece of fiction.

My story is pretty long so I will start it by explaining how exactly I came to be a part of this world.

My name is Casandra and it all started when I turned 13. Well, weird things have been happening throughout my life but this was the weirdest yet.

I woke up to see a big pile of presents on my desk. I opened them one by one. My parents had finally got me my own cell phone after a lot of pleading. My elder sister got me the book I had wanted for quite a while now. And my grandparents got me a box of my favourite chocolates. I noticed a small box wrapped in brown fallen on the ground. 

I had already opened all my presents from my family members and my friends would give theirs later. "Who would this be from?" I wondered. I opened it to reveal a brown, wooden box. It looked like something found in the museum. I tried to open it but it didn't. 

Well this isn't the first time something mysterious has appeared inside my bedroom. But it was the first time it appeared on my birthday. 

I hid it at the back of my closet with the other mysterious objects. The first time it had appeared was when I was around 7 years old.

I had returned from my school to find a book. It was titled 'Theories Of Existence'. It had a hard cover and was brown. It had a picture of a beautiful girl surrounded by stars. The weird thing about it was that half of its pages were written in some sort of ancient language. The book would actually make sense without these pages. I mean page 1 ended in English letters and page 2 was this ancient language and page 3 which was English would make a continuation of page 1.

At first I thought my sister got it but when I asked her she said she hadn't. I shared it with my two goofball friends Hanna Dawson and Berry Willis. They had many weird theories about it. Possibly enough to write another book. 

I also had a dagger with this weird symbol on it. The symbol was also present in the book. A  goblet made of gold and covered with beautiful art. And also a vase covered in art of the similar style.

I did research on it and found nothing. The internet had nothing related to it. Even that art style was not given a specific name. I love art and an art style that good should be given recognition. 

I never told my parents about it. I mean I am easy going but they are not. They would freak out. For all I knew it could be some kind of prank from someone. They would probably call the police and have it checked for 'deathly traps'.

I got dressed and looked into my reflection in the mirror. A thin tall girl with long blonde hair and eyes the colour of milk chocolate looked back at me.

"Let's do it." I told myself. I was the girl that got picked on. Basically the outcast. 

I looked around my room. It was a small room which was actually an attic. The ceiling was slanted. My bed was near the window and beside it was my study table. Facing it was my washroom beside which was my closet and mirror. The door was at the other end and near it was a bookcase. The walls were baby pink and the floor and the ceiling were the colour of cinnamon. 

I knew that after a few months I would probably have to move. I hadn't meant to eavesdrop but I had heard my parents talk about some mad guy who was after my family last night.  

It suddenly dawned on me that this madman could have sent all this stuff.

"You're being ridiculous," I told myself. "Looks like your parents have started rubbing of on you. Look, if this person knew where we lived he would have taken action 6 years ago."

I went downstairs to eat my breakfast. My family members wished me my birthday and Oreo, my pet cat sat on my lap as usual while I ate my cereal.

I cycled to school and met Hanna and Berry in my way. Berry had short black hair and beautiful blue eyes. Hanna had long, brown hair and caramel coloured eyes. 

I filled them in on everything after they wished me happy birthday and gave me my presents.

Before we could talk further about it, something that looked like a monster appeared out of nowhere in front of us. No one but us seemed to notice it and it came right for us.

We cycled as fast as we could in the opposite direction.

find out how Casandra, Hanna and Berry escape the monster in the next chapter

  


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
275 Reviews


Points: 15319
Reviews: 275

Donate
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:19 pm
elysian wrote a review...



Hello! Let's get right into it, shall we?

Before you can ask me for introductions and about the story, let me tell you that if you are reading this right now then it must be fate.


I don't know exactly why, but this first line doesn't quite hook me into the story. Maybe tweak it a little? Mostly the, "Before you can ask me for introductions and about the story" part, it's just an awkward start in my opinion.

I noticed a small box wrapped in brown fallen on the ground.


*had fallen

Okay, as I'm reading I'm noticing a stylistic pattern, where you have every choppy, telling sentences. When you're writing a novel, you need to frequently switch up the syntax of sentences and switch between things you tell a reader, and things you show a reader. If you have any questions about any of this, feel free to PM me.

let me show you an example of a paragraph where you told a reader things, and then I will rewrite said paragraph where I do a combination of showing and telling the reader the same things. (and you can feel free to use my paragraph)

I woke up to see a big pile of presents on my desk. I opened them one by one. My parents had finally got me my own cell phone after a lot of pleading. My elder sister got me the book I had wanted for quite a while now. And my grandparents got me a box of my favorite chocolates. I noticed a small box wrapped in brown fallen on the ground.


--

The sounds of birds chirping and the sunlight shining through my window woke me up on my thirteenth birthday, and I noticed a pile of brightly colored presents by my desk. One by one, I tore off the wrapping paper to reveal a cell phone from my parents, a book I had been pleading for from my sister, and a box of my favorite chocolates from my grandparents. A thud exposed a small box wrapped in brown had fallen on the ground next to my desk, and curiously I reached down to grab it.

--

So really, you're still telling the reader what's happening but using the five senses to help create a more vivid and interesting visual in their head.

Your sentences are very choppy, and adding more flourish and detail to them will help the story flow better. Just go back through and read them out loud, taking a bit of an exaggerated pause after every period. if it's awkward, rethink that sentence and make it longer!

The book would actually make sense without these pages. I mean page 1 ended in English letters and page 2 was this ancient language and page 3 which was English would make a continuation of page 1.


this is kind of confusing, maybe find a different way to say it without the complication?

They would probably call the police and have it checked for 'deathly traps'.


Confusing, how can a book, knife, and box be checked for traps?

"Lets do it." I told myself. I was the girl that got picked on. Basically the outcast.


*Let's
also, this is too much telling. Instead of stating that she got picked on, maybe, later on, show it through the way other people treat her?

I looked around my room. It was a small room which was actually an attic. The ceiling was slanted. My bed was near the window and beside it was my study table. Facing it was my washroom beside which was my closet and mirror. The door was at the other end and near it was a bookcase. The walls were baby pink and the floor and the ceiling were the color of cinnamon.


The problem with this paragraph is that you go through choppy sentences of "this was this, that was that, it was it" etc. Try making it flow better, and change the wording. And combine sentences so that it's not so choppy.

the ending is very rushed and unrealistic honestly. I feel like the realization of who these gifts are from should wait, and be drawn out a little bit more, and then all of sudden she goes from being in her room to school with her friends, to running from a monster. There's no depth to the story and I don't feel connected to this character at all.

In summary, I think this might be a good concept it's just not detailed enough. There's not really any characterization and everything is very short and choppy and I don't feel intrigued by anything happening. I notice that you are 13 and I remember when I was at that age I was doing many of the same things that you are doing now, but try and learn quicker than I did and your stories will come to life! I apologize if anything I've typed has ofended you in any way, I'm very honest in my reviews no matter what age the author is because I feel like growing up on this site I wanted everyone to treat me like they treated the older YWS audience, that way I could mature in my writing at an earlier age!

If you have any questions about anything I mentioned above, please PM me. I'm off to review chapter 2, and I will try not to continue to repeat myself as much :-)

- Delonie






thanks for the review



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 34

Donate
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:25 am
FantasyWriter76 wrote a review...



Wow! This story was amazing! Sorry, forgot to introduce myself. I'm FantasyWriter76, but you probably knew that, here with a review for your story!

Now to start off with the good stuff. I feel you did story exposition justice. Your introduction exposition actually got me intrigued, unlike most other generic expositions. I feel the protagonist is relatable in the way that Casandra is like any other kid in a situation where their wits under pressure are tested.

Now to the things I think you can improve on:
I think you should stretch out Hanna and Berry's characters. I feel we as the readers know barely anything about them. Maybe talk more about them. Secondly, I think the transition into the monster chase was WAY too rushed. Maybe one of the characters felt something was off, or maybe the monster appeared in a special kind of way so that the monster doesn't 'just appear'. And the last thing I want to point out is capitalization, it's really just a nitpick, but I think it should be said.

Overall, I'd like to see this series continue forward. It seems to have lots of potential and I'd like to see character development. So get to it!
- FantasyWriter76






Thanks for the review.



User avatar
113 Reviews


Points: 181
Reviews: 113

Donate
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:45 pm
Bellarke wrote a review...



Hello, Prachi. I am Liz. I am here, hoping to be at least alittle helpful, and to make this a review. So lets jump into it....

First off: "'who would this be from," I wondered."

You might want to capitalize the 'w' in 'who'. And you don't Need to add the "I wondered" Part. You don't really need it.

Secondly: "'Lets do it.' I told myself. I was the girl that got picked on. Basically the outcast."

"'Lets do it,' I told myself" could be its own line. You dont need the extra stuff on the same line.

I will finish this when I have time. I will review your other work as well.






Thanks for the review. I don't really have any other work published right now but I am working on the second chapter.



Bellarke says...


I hope to read it soon. :) :D



Random avatar

Points: 946
Reviews: 31

Donate
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:33 am
shusher says...



i accidentally submitted the same message twice, and so had to delete the second one, but needed something to replace it. Well, here you go.

Fish don't have dry humor.




Random avatar

Points: 946
Reviews: 31

Donate
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:33 am
shusher wrote a review...



"'who would this be from," I wondered."
'I wondered' isn't necessary, and best to avoid, he-said/she-said phrases in the future.

"I tried to open it, but it didn't." This sentence is kind of a hard read.

"two goofball friends Hanna and Berry..." You need a comma after 'friends,' at least.

"I did research on it and found nothing. The internet had nothing on it." Remove one of these sentences.

You have a ton of short, really short sentences. There's not much description of a person outside of their face.

There's literally no description for the monster.

In short: I like your concept, but specifically in the area of description needs some refinement.






thanks for the review, I will try to add more description in my next chapter



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 575
Reviews: 212

Donate
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 pm
EverLight wrote a review...



Please feel free to ignore my advice it is not meant to offened you or hurt you in anyway, it is not meant to make your story seem bad, or demine it that said . . . .
1. What I liked
I liked your narration it added alot to Casandra. I also love the creativity, it really is a good story.

2. Plot & Develupment.
The idea is excellent but there doesn't seem to be much of a plot in this story. First of all not much happened and there is no hint of the world. If you'l excuse my saying so- this is meant to help you after all not hurt you- There doesn't seem to be much of a story in this chapter.
Here are some ways I think you can change that
Explain how she found all those objects-the dagger the book and all the rest.
Show us what that mad guy did that night that made her parents want to move.
You mention that she had evesdropped why not start the chapter with he listning to her parents talking about leaving?

3. Spelling and grammar
The preceeding advice is just me acting like a grammer expert you can choose to ignore the advice-
First of all this sentence-Well weird things have been happening throughout my life but this was the weirdest yet.
I think you should add a comma after the word well. Oh maybe add one after the word life as well. Just a thought.
And then there is this sentence

I had already opened all my presents from my family members and my friends would give theirs later.
Somehow and doesn't seem right. Try removing it or rephrasing sentence.

3. Flow and style
I think your style was fine, but your flow could use some work. Okay first of all why are there lots of small paragraphs? Many with just two or less sentences. It makes it seem as though there isn't much to this chapter. Most especially because you can say the same thing in one good paragraph. Or at least two paragraphs. Also it made it a little hard to follow.

4. Impact & Emotion
I think your story doesn't seem to have alot of impact. There isn't alot of showing just telling. It is always better to show the readers what happened then to tell them. Adding alot of description will help with that. Also, there seems to be no emotion to Casandra either. She doesn't seem human. You might want to add her thoughts.

5. Character develoupment
You need to add more to Casandra. She doesn't seem like a well develouped character. I couldn't tell much about her or her personality. Maybe adding more personality will help her become a live person.

5. Overall & Encouragment
I loved your idea and it was fun reading this despite the above issues. Keep up this creative writing. You have a story on your hands.






thanks for the review. I now see the problem of emotions and hope I can correct that in the following chapters. I did not add much details about the characters of Casandra, Hanna and Berry because I wanted the readers to get to know them by reading the book and not just the first chapter. I will try to fix this in the coming posts. I wanted to tell the story of how she found the dagger, goblet and vase in the course of the book.



EverLight says...


Your welcome, anytime, anytime.



User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 1689
Reviews: 52

Donate
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:38 pm



I'll be throwin' a review your direction, matey! Brace for impact!

Let me start off by saying that while your tale does have potential (any story can be good, provided it's written well and provides an interesting concept), the execution of your first chapter leaves some things to be desired.

First and foremost, I recommend you overall extend it. It may well benefit if you make it three - hell, four times longer. Don't pad it with unnecessary story. Keep the events as they are. Just add better, deeper descriptions, among other things. Just something the reader can chew on to be eased into your story. The goal is to make your reader create a clear image of the situation in their mind. That's the goal of prose, anyway. Poetry is a bit different, but that's way off topic.
Make these descriptions unique. I noticed that you described all three of your main characters with only their hair and eyes. Go deeper than that. Have them stand before us, present them to us. Just be careful, as even this comes with its own challenge. You mustn't make it a bland presentation, rather you must ease us into the characters and their appearance organically. For example, "her dark hair swayed gently in the breeze," or something like that. See? We find out that her hair is dark, but you didn't tell us straight up, instead, you deceive us by focusing on the swaying rather than the color of her hair. It seems more natural and doesn't bore the reader.

A somewhat greater issue is the age-old issue of show-don't-tell. You tell us a whole lot, but you don't really show us. For example, we know that the main character is teased and humiliated. Instead of telling us through exposition, you may want to show this truth in action. Show us a scene of her being humiliated by her adversaries. It'd be a whole lot more impacting and it'd make a more lasting impression on the reader.

Anyway, that about wraps it up for me. Keep at it. It's a long and strenuous road, writing a decent novel. I've never done it, I doubt I ever will. Too challenging. But if you think you can, by all means, give 'em hell.

Kind regards,
Herr Schweinehund






thanks for the review. I hope I can improve my story in the coming chapters




Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson