Kambili-chapter two (edited version)

by Swavvy123

Two

It turns out you suffer the effects of too much alcohol even the day after.

We got to Ginika’s house at a little after eleven. We were in such a bad state, Ginika’s mum got scared and called my mum for help. She had been shouting questions at us but I was too tired to give coherent answers and Ginika was half asleep. As we ambled up the stairs, Ginika holding my hand, I heard her mum on the phone.

“Felicia, I don’t know. They just came back looking tired and miserable. They couldn’t even answer me…” She switched to igbo.

We got to Ginika’s room and she flopped on her bed, not even bothering to change out of her clothes. I was here so much they had put a spare bed in for me. I washed my face and put on one of her nighties. I was tempted to crawl into bed too but I looked over and saw her slumped over. Her dress had ridden above her waist. I wiped her face off with baby wipes and tried to get her to sit up but she was heavy with sleep.

I got a bowl of cold water from the bathroom and splashed it on her face. She groaned and squinted at me. “What’s your problem this girl?” I began to take off her shoes. “Ginika you need to undress.” “Are we in trouble?” I didn’t respond. My parents were going to murder me. I raised her arms and took off her dress. I folded it and put her shoes aside. Her wide toothed comb was on the floor. She undid her bra and looked at me, too tired to help herself. Her eyes widened suddenly. “Aunty Fifi is going to kill you.” I nodded and dragged her tank top over her head. “Kam, it’s my fault…” I shushed her and sat behind her, pushing her head down onto my lap.

I dragged her dark, curly hair through the comb and began to put it in fat braids. I knew she liked her hair braided before bed because when she loosened it, it came out curlier and fuller. She had begun to cry. I started singing one of the songs we had liked when we were little. Something about a monkey and a balloon.

When I was on the last braid, I noticed she had fallen asleep. I placed her head on the pillow and lay down next to her, listening to her heart beat like we used to when were small. We hardly did anything together these days. I embarrassed her sometimes and we couldn’t hang out as much because of school. Ginika raised her arm above her head and I shifted a little.

I lay staring at the white ceiling. “Ginika why are you a whore?” I whispered. “You really need to change.” I glanced over. She was still fast asleep.

“Today in the bathroom--” What was Purple-eyes’ name?

“None of those boys are good for you. They make you feel better about yourself but for how long?”

At that moment, all the bad words and unkind things Ginika had said to me; about my short hair or my rough skin or my mosquitoed legs came back to me. The anger rose like a lump in my throat. Anger and also a little joy that at least one boy was not attracted to Ginika.

“You’re nothing but a stupid slut. Did you hear what I said?!” She was still asleep. “None of those boys will ever like you so you better give up.” I heard her stir and I shut up quickly, afraid she’d heard. I really was not that brave. She turned over.

“You’re a bimbo! A whore! A prostitute. Also, I just thought you should know, I hate your guts!” I was raising my voice now.

“You put me down every time! You make me feel like there’s nothing good about me. Do you remember in primary five when I wore my favourite red dress for valentine’s day and I put red ribbons in my hair? I came to school and walked up to you, all excited and stuff. You were sitting with Ruby and Toni. I tapped you on the shoulder, smiling. You looked back and you laughed. You laughed at me! Then you said ‘She looks like little red riding hood. Except I think the wolf should have eaten her up!’ And everyone in the play ground laughed and said I was so ugly.”

Tears began streaming down my cheeks.

“You apologized but only because you needed my math assignment. I have never gotten over that. Even though we’re best friends now-Ha! We’re friends, can you imagine?-I will never forgive you for that.”

I sniffed and wiped my cheeks. In that moment, it was no longer about Ginika or what she had done. I had never been given an opportunity to express myself or what I felt. I had never been asked whether I acknowledged my flaws or whether I felt good about myself. I was constantly trying to please everyone, accepting that I was just as imperfect as they said I was. No one had tried to make me feel special or wanted or loved. Silently I had accepted all of their nasty comments, heaped it upon myself till I could not breathe but right now, I was so sick of it, I felt if I didn’t say this I would never be able to breathe again. My spirit had grown so small, someone could flick me away, into oblivion.

“Oh yeah and don’t you ever insult my looks again. Don’t you ever say ‘You would look so much better if you wore just a little make up.’ I put on makeup today and I hated it! You know why? Because I looked just like you. You’re just a desperate whore and you think you’re so much better than me. Unfortunately for you, you are not. Did you hear me?!”

I was breathing faster now. Partly out of breath and partly afraid she could hear me.

No answer. She was snoring.

“I said, did you hear me?”

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! :D Interesting chapter!

So Ginika is definitely still feel the effects of the alcohol, but is Kambili? This chapter is a bit shorter than your previous chapter and I think you could show more at the beginning. I would be curious to know how they got home and what the reaction was from their parents when they got home. You tell us a little about that at the beginning, but I would like to see more of the aftermath. This chapter is centered around Kambili's feelings towards Ginika (more on that in a minute) and since you're still early in the novel, this is a great time to start planting some seeds for other plot lines. I think developing the mom's and that family connection could be a great little plot seed to get going in this chapter, but we need to see more of them and everything that happened.

So let's talk talk about that relationship, yeah? :)

I'm intrigued for a couple of reasons. There's some sort of mystery or secret here because I'm guessing Kambili and Ginika used to be much better friends than they are right now. I'm curious to know how they became friends and what their relationship used to look like before everything started to crumble. I'm also curious to know what caused the crumble. I'm guessing it was a series of events and Ginika slowly morphing into a person that Kambili doesn't like nor support, but I'm wondering how all of that came to be. I'm also curious about why Kambili is still sticking around. She obviously has some very strong feelings about Ginika and the choices Ginika is making, so I'm also wondering what's in it for her at this point and why she still wants to be her friend when so much has changed.

Now, I don't want you to try to answer all of those questions and quandaries in this chapter :) Some of these you may never quite answer at all, and that's okay. I pose all of this as a way to help you get thinking about your characters and your plot and to let you know as an outside reader what I'm hoping to find out as I keep reading. I'm hoping for all of this to be slowly revealed over the course of the novel.

I'm still waiting for an oomph with the plot. I'm curious about the friendship and what happened, but I'm also really curious to know what the main plot thread is going to be. Is it all about what happened between Kambili and Ginika or Kambili saving/helping Ginika? I'm curious to know what Kambili wants or what her goal is, what's standing in her way or what the problem is, and what the stakes are or why it matters that she reaches her goal.

I'm not a huge fan of Kambili calling her friend a slut and a whore and a prostitute and all of those other words. (I'm going to bump the rating on this chapter for you just for those words). :) I could go into a long feminist rant about my feelings about those words, but I don't think that'll be all that helpful to you because it's not super pertinent to the chapter :p But anyway. I thought it was interesting that Kambili went to all of that trouble to tell her friend how she feels and really lay it all out there when her friend isn't even conscious to hear it or care. Did Kambili do that on purpose because she's afraid of her friend hearing how she really feels, or did she expect her friend to hear? I'm wondering if there's a better person Kambili could get those feelings about to so that it's a more of a two-sided conversation. It could help plant some more plot seeds to get someone else involved and it might be a more engaging read for your reader.

I hope you keep working on this because you have some interesting ideas brewing here and I'd be curious to see how you develop your idea further! If you do end up posting more and you want me to keep reading, just let me know! And please let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing :D

Swavvy123 says...

Thank you so much.
I'm so happy you wanted to keep reading.
I wrote this when I was around 12-14 and I've gotten loads better lol.
I haven't been on this website in about 2 years so I'm just seeing this.
Thanks again and I would love for you to review my poetry.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:26 pm
Zoom wrote a review...

How does she seriously not know this already, even without experiencing it herself? She hasn't heard of a hangover before?

It was unnatural to add a name into dialog here.

I got a bowl of cold water from the bathroom and splashed it on her face. She groaned and squinted at me. “What’s your problem this girl?” I began to take off her shoes. “Ginika you need to undress.” “Are we in trouble?”

I have noticed that you use multiple lines of dialog in the same paragraph, and for multiple people. It becomes confusing. Consider starting a new paragraph if somebody else speaks, or if a lot of action takes place between tags.

We hardly did anything together these days.

But she just said she’s at her house all the time and that’s why she has a bed made for her
already?

I embarrassed her sometimes

But how? Does she pull lots of pranks on Ginika? Is she just “uncool”? This is vague.

“Ginika why are you a whore?” I whispered.

That’s quite heavy handed considering she herself played 7 minutes in heaven only a few hours prior.

Even though we’re best friends now

She keeps flipflopping over whether or not they are best friends. In chapter one she said they used to be best friends, then at the end she said they are still best friends. I’m really unclear what the status of this friendship is?

I had never been asked whether I acknowledged my flaws or whether I felt good about myself.

When is anybody ever asked this? How many times have you approached a friend of family member and said “so hey, how do you feel about your flaws? Do you feel good about yourself as a person?” I suggest finding another way to explain how neglected she feels

My spirit had grown so small, someone could flick me away, into oblivion.

I really liked this.

***

Final comments:

You have potential. The writing flows well enough and I understand most of things you describe. You are capable of telling a coherent story, setting up scenarios etc and progressing through the scenes at a good pace. I have no doubt that you will improve on all of this.

The biggest issue I have is this: I hate your protagonist. I'm not enjoying her story/narrative. So far she has been self-centered, erratic, illogical and verbally abusive.

Now, I do understand that she is supposed to be like this on purpose. She doesn't know who she is because she has been emotionally stunted her entire life by those around her, and now she has been pushed too far and wants to rebel and live by her own rules. I get it.

The problem is that we (your readers) have entered this story once Kambili has already snapped -- so because we haven't been shown any of her good qualities, and haven't experienced how bad her life was before, we don't feel as if her bad behavior is justified.

To rectify this, I suggest to open the story right before she snaps. If we learn how she was pushed towards the edge then we will be more likely to accept how/why her personality changes so drastically for the worse. And if every now and then her good personality shines through in between the bad behavior, occasionally reminding us that there are essentially two Kambili's, we will feel more forgiving and want to root for her. We will understand that there is a good person behind the bad actions and we will read the story and hope she finds her way.

I hope you find this helpful. I will watch out for further updates.

Zoom

Swavvy123 says...

Thank you for this.

If Kambili's story continues I will make sure to do further editing. The problem was I wasn't sure what exactly I what I wanted the plot to be, maybe some 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' coming-of-age type of thing?

Anyways, I would absolutely love for you to review my poetry :))

Thanks again!

The bigger the issue, the smaller you write. Remember that. You don’t write about the horrors of war. No. You write about a kid’s burnt socks lying on the road. You pick the smallest manageable part of the big thing, and you work off the resonance.
— Richard Price