z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Madly: Chapter 1

by Steggy


It started off as a normal day.

The sun was barely up in the sky when Dr. Ryan Manhattan was due to visit the newest patient at the psych ward: Tad. The papers he received that morning were reviewed, marked on, and processed through his small, feeble brain. He was a quaint and quiet man who kept everything to himself. He was young, the youngest to be working in the psych ward, and most reserved from anyone. Most of the nurses there would look at him from the corner of their eye or snicker behind his back.

All of this was just the beginning of his normal day.

The walk to the psych ward was short but a car ride there was pleasing enough. Most of the city wasn’t awake at the time, save for some wanders that were caught up in last night’s drunken acts. It disgusted Ryan. Having fun and not remembering the events, only to have a grim reminder in the morning.

He continued his route, humming and then glanced at the clock, making perfect time.

Today was going to be a normal day.

When Ryan parked at the psych ward, he took a minute to collect himself. Reassuring that everything was going to be okay. This slowly lifted up his mood, bringing himself to open the car door, and slam it for good measure. He quickly walked up the steps and pushed open the tall, oak doors into the third floor of the psych ward. The lights were barely on and the appointment desk to the right of him had the curtains pulled down.

“Good morning, Dr. Manhattan! How’re you today?”

“Matthew, it’s a bit too early for your loudness, so please, shut up.”

Matthew frowned slowly before regaining his smile. “You excited for another work day? I heard we have a new patient.”

Ryan sighed. “Yes, their name is Tad. They’re the first one I’ll be seeing.” He sounded like a broken record because of Matthew would ask the same question every day.

“Sounds familiar. Why are they here?” Matthew asked as he pressed the down bottom of the elevator. Ryan moved his bag into his left hand.

“It had something to do with being ‘forever insane’ or something. Their files didn’t mention what happened, though.”

“Not even a gender?”

Ryan chewed on his cheek. “I guess not,” he muttered. The rest of the elevator ride was only the sounds of the chains working, grinding against the wet brick walls.

“Have you heard from Luke?” Matthew asked suddenly. Ryan raised an eyebrow.

“The kid whose best friend shot himself in the head, right in front of him? No, I haven’t heard from him. Though, the last thing he told me was his best friend had stopped bothering him all together.”

“Oh. That’s always good news.”

“I guess.”

This was a normal conversation for a normal day.

When the elevator finding stopped, Matthew and Ryan walked out.

“I get to check up on Madeleine,” Matthew said while digging his elbow into Ryan’s arm.

“You do remember what Richard said about relationships with patients?”

Matthew coughed. “To never do it because it is inhuman or some crap.”

“It’s for your own good, Matthew. Now if you excuse me,” Ryan turned left, heading down along tunnel. His office at the end to the right, cozy behind a tall, grey cubicle. He sighed, rubbing his palm on his eyes. The fatigue that would worsen over time, had finally settled in his brain.

The normal work day.

Or so he thought.

The day progressed slowly, mainly Ryan was busy typing up the last of his report and taking bites of his tasteless lunch. It wasn’t until noon that he begins walking down to the new patient's room. He felt jittery as he looked down at the papers in his hand, re-reading over every word before pausing at the name again.

Tad (last name unknown)

Incurable mental health

Age: 19

What is with teens and incurable mental health?

When he got to the door, a boy popped up and waved.

“Hello!”

Ryan’s eyes widen. He blinks a couple times, taking in the view of the boy in front of him. He had light brown hair, bloodied nails, freckles that ran over his nose, and bright green eyes. His teeth were yellow. From the slight view, Ryan could tell he was wearing a white t-shirt (the lower part was covered in red) and jeans that were scuffed.

When Ryan stepped into the room, Tad seemed to bound away from it and sit on his bed. He looked excited to have another person in here. It seemed like forever ago. The room was covered in pictures, drawn in crayons. There were some that looked like black ghosts swallowing cities or a headless girl.

Ryan sat down on a chair and took out a pad of paper and pen.

“So, Tad, how’re you?”

“Good! It was a bit lonely in here, though. I’m glad you’re in here!” Tad then smiled. Ryan grimaced.

“R-right. So, do you know why you are here?”

Tad pondered for a moment before speaking. “I’m incurable. That’s what the last doctor said. And one before that and the one-”

Ryan held up a hand and Tad stopped talking. “I know what you mean. Well, I’m your new doctor. Dr. Ryan Manhattan until March, which is where we are hoping you’ll be getting better.”

Tad nodded, placing his hands into his lap. “I understand.” Ryan sighed, writing down ‘cheerful’.

“Okay, I’m going to ask you a series of questions. First one,-”

“What’s it like being a doctor? Is it boring? How many people have you met?”

“Uh.” Ryan blinked. Spontaneous too.

Tad giggled. “Sorry. I haven’t been in contact with doctors in three years? I don’t know.”

Unable to remember things, Ryan thought.

“How long have you been drawing?” Ryan pointed towards a picture of a bear chasing a boy. Tad followed his finger and smiled.

“Since I could remember. I draw whatever comes to my mind. Sometimes it is pretty. Other times it is scary.” His face contorting into sadness before regaining the smile Ryan walked into.

“Ah, do you enjoy drawing?”

Tad nodded sadly. “It’s the one thing I have left. It’s like a mute friend.”

Ryan sighed. He then looked at his watch. They had only been five minutes in and Ryan felt a small hint of sadness towards Tad. He looked like a mess as his fiddled with his fingers.

“I’m going to come back tomorrow and ask you the same set of questions. This’ll help you and me both to figure out what treatment is best for you,” Ryan said as he stood up. “Do you have any questions?”

Tad shook his head.

“Good. Well, good-bye, Tad. See you tomorrow.” said Ryan as he walked out the door, locking it behind him. There was progress to be made with Tad, Ryan thought. Progress is always a step forward to recovery. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hey Steggy!! I saw the second chapter in the green room and I couldn't resist :D

I'm always super intrigued by stories that center around mental health issues because I work in the mental health field. I really liked the emphasis you put on this being a normal day. I've considered writing something to show what my average day looks like at work because it's so misunderstood, and in many ways under-appreciated. I just haven't gotten around to it :p But I liked that you're not trying to show the "craziest day" or make this particular day anything extreme other than this is his normal day of work and he happens to have this new interesting patient.

Since this is a first draft and LMS, I'm going to focus on big picture things you can think about for the next draft (whenever that happens) or for this remaining draft.

One big thing I'm wondering is when are we and where are we. There are a lot of misconceptions about psych hospitals and there are a ton of differences depending on where you are and when you are. True state psychiatric hospitals in the US are few and far between and are very hard to get into (at least in my state). There are psych wards in most major hospitals but they are designed to stabilize people and transition them to their next step of treatment, not for long term care (although some people do end up staying for longer periods of time). It can actually be tough to get into a psych ward too because at least where I live you need to pose imminent danger of harming yourself or someone else. Are we in a state hospital or a psych ward or something else? In terms of time - I'm assuming we're in present/modern times, but there will obviously be a lot of differences if you're going for a more historical take.

I'm definitely curious to learn why this character ended up here. I already like him :) I'm not sure what illness you have in mind yet, and that's fine. I think so far he feels like a real person and not like a caricature or like you regurgitated the DSM into a novel. I'm a little confused about why he's classified as having "incurable mental health". It would make more sense to me if this was historical because maybe that was really a classification at one time. But now, that would never (or at least should never) be on someone's chart.

I didn't really mind Ryan's attitude throughout this first chapter. He doesn't seem to be the most passionate person in the world or that he's really fired up and loves his job, but then again, no one does every single day :) To me, he sounds like he's a bit burned out. I didn't quite understand his line of questioning when he met Tad or why he's going to ask the same questions tomorrow.

Writing wise, I thought the execution was fine. You do a lot of things well writing wise. My one complaint would be that a lot of names are mentioned in this first chapter and I started to lose track of who is who and who is important. You mention some people (like Madeleine) but we never see her. I think you could either streamline the characters a little bit in this chapter just to keep it simple. Or, you could expand the chapter and show us more of his day so we can meet more people.

Overall, I think you have an intriguing start and I'm definitely curious to see what's going to happen next! I saw in a comment below that you're planning on researching psych wards more, which is awesome. I totally understand wanting to get the draft out and worrying about details and every last bit of research later :) Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about mental health related things! And please let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Omg so far it seems like Ryan is the one who ought to be seeing a psychiatrist, if he thinks "cheerful" is a mental health issue rather than a nice personality trait. Wowzers.

Also, Ryan seems awfully judgmental for a guy whose job it is to help people with mental issues. I mean, I realize he works at a psych ward as opposed to being a therapist who would provide help for people with self-esteem issues and whatnot, so that's probably good. But wow.

It disgusted Ryan. Having fun and not remembering the events, only to have a grim reminder in the morning.


(I mean, I also do not understand the appeal of this behavior at all, but I don't much give a fig if other people want to do it. As long as they don't drive drunk, obvi.)

“Good morning, Dr. Manhattan! How’re you today?”

“Matthew, it’s a bit too early for your loudness, so please, shut up.”


(Yikes, dude. Are you hungover?)

Ryan sighed, writing down ‘cheerful’.


Then again, I guess feeling insecure about your position because you know everyone's making fun of your age behind your back probably makes you a little prickly. I tend to be curt to the vendors at our store when I'm in the office, because most of them are inclined to call me "sweetie" if I'm not strictly no-nonsense and practically rude. (I accept "sweeties" from men old enough to be my granddad, but these guys are definitely too young for that.)

But I did feel a little sympathetic toward him, mostly because of these bits.

He was a quaint and quiet man who kept everything to himself. He was young, the youngest to be working in the psych ward, and most reserved from anyone. Most of the nurses there would look at him from the corner of their eye or snicker behind his back.


When Ryan parked at the psych ward, he took a minute to collect himself. Reassuring that everything was going to be okay.


The second bit especially hit me, because it really made it seem like Ryan has insecurities or even anxiety about his job.

I have to wonder, though. I understand the point of repeating "normal day," but two things about that. One, repeating it so frequently makes it seem like this is a humdrum job Ryan doesn't really care for, but psychiatry/psychology isn't flipping burgers or washing cars or running a register, where it's repetitive and dull and pays nothing and also there are awful customers and stuff. Like you have to get a degree to be a doctor - I think nowadays you really need a masters in psych if you want to get a job in the field. So at some point Ryan cared about this enough to make that decision - either because he cared about helping people or because he enjoyed doing it or was intrigued by the intricacies of the human mind or something. He's awfully young to seem so burnt out, right?

(I mean, I don't know exactly how old he is, but presumably he's younger than you'd expect of a psych doctor since it's mentioned that he's very young for his job.)

The second thing about the "normal day" is that it pounds it into our heads that he expected it to be a normal day. By the last time it's said, I was like, "Yes, okay, I get it, obviously it's going to turn out not to be normal at all."

It might just be because so many stories start off with this kind of "it was an ordinary day, just like every other, in the humdrum land of Normalness, but little did Our Hero know what extraordinary things were about to happen..."

Which is fine, I get the appeal and I enjoy plenty of stories that start that way, but I think this sort of thing is a lot more effective.

He sounded like a broken record because of Matthew would ask the same question every day.


There you're letting us know that this is a normal day, but without repeating over and over again "this is a normal day...OR SO HE THOUGHT."

(I know: you didn't *actually* say "or so he thought," but I sort of read it that way in my head after the first time it was brought up.)

The only other thing that struck me as weird was the "they" in reference to Tad before Ryan met him. I mean, it's cool if you're trying to be inclusive, but at the same time it seemed unnatural to me that a cisgender person would look at a form with the name "Tad" on it and not assume "male."

Actually, I guess what's weirder here is the fact that an official psych form for a person who's been through several doctors in the last little while wouldn't include a gender.

"Oops, you forgot to fill in the bit about gender, Dave."
"Yeah, I did that on purpose, I like to imagine the next doctor guessing before they meet him."

Omg wait no there was one more thing.

“I get to check up on Madeleine,” Matthew said while digging his elbow into Ryan’s arm.

“You do remember what Richard said about relationships with patients?”

Matthew coughed. “To never do it because it is inhuman or some crap.”


Creepy creepy creepy creepy. If that was the point, good job. But considering this is a psych ward, where people are actually living because of their mental health issues, where they wouldn't be able to protect themselves if a staff person did take advantage of them...wow, creepy. Actually, if you want me to like Ryan more, *this* would be a good place for him to be judgmental. He's got it a little, but that gentle reminder to Matthew isn't enough for me in light of what was just said. Yikes yikes yikes.

I mean, obviously Ryan will be eating his judgmental words in this case later on in the story (I assume), but I feel like there's a marked difference between a disciplined doctor falling for a patient against his will (and presumably fighting it and refusing any advances from the patient at first) and a doctor (well, staff member) making sexual innuendos about a patient.

Anyway, Imma shush now because I feel like a massive hypocrite since I just started my LMS story which is obviously far from perfect itself. I swear I enjoyed reading this I swear I swear I swear




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 am
View Likes
erilea wrote a review...



Hello, Steggy! Lupa here for a review! :D Let's begin...

1) "He continued his route, humming and then glanced at the clock, making perfect time." I think you need a comma after "humming." However, the wording of that makes the sentence a bit clunky. Perhaps you could break it up into two: "He continued his route, starting to hum. When he glanced at the clock, he realized he was making perfect time." Something like that. I can't provide good examples. :P

2) "“Matthew, it’s a bit too early for your loudness, so please, shut up.”" Whoa! From what I've read, you describe Dr. Manhattan as a feeble-minded person. I wouldn't imagine him snapping at a cheerful guy. You could definitely be more constant with your character's personality here.

3) "It wasn’t until noon that he begins walking down to the new patient's room." There's a tense switch here, and there are quite a few later on. I suggest fixing that up. Tense switches are no fun for the reader.

There's a lot of curiosity you left me with. Why does Tad have blood stains on him? *shudders* But I guess that type of curiosity is good, especially in a chapter like this one (where we're dealing with mental illness and whatnot).
You did a pretty nice job with this, I must say. There weren't too many details, although I suspect Snazzy left you something about that. :) I didn't have much to say, just a few nitpicks. Well, keep writing and great work!

XOX,
Lupa22




User avatar
377 Reviews


Points: 119
Reviews: 377

Donate
Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:18 pm
View Likes
Snazzy wrote a review...



Hi Steggy!
I see you're doing LMS! may the odds be every in your favor I'll try my best to give you some good feedback (but fair warning, I haven't reviewed consistently in a very long time).

I guess I'll just lump spelling, grammar, description and the like in together. I'm assuming this is a rough draft, so I won't spend too much time on this. There are only a couple of grammar errors in this, as far as I could find (most of them sentence fragments). I don't know what your LMS/first draft strategy is, but I'd encourage you to just "get it out" on paper, so to speak, rather than constantly edit the little things (such as grammar and spelling). It's not really detracting from your chapter, and I think they can be fixed pretty easily.

From the first time Ryan speaks, I love his personality type. :)

Matthew coughed. “To never do it because it is inhuman or some crap.”


The sarcastic-ish nature of this makes me thing Ryan would say it rather than Matthew. It just doesn't seem like Matthew's 'natural self', or at least the kind of character (and personality) I thought he was based upon the dialogue in the beginning. It could just be me; it was just something I noticed that seemed a little off (particularly just the "or some crap" at the end).

The use of "a normal day" was really effective and spaced out nicely. Good job with that!

I'd have to agree with Megrim about how brief the session with Tad was. Or, at least it felt like that in comparison to the talk with Matthew and the introduction.

Overall though, I like the characters that your are developing. (Especially Ryan's personality.) Just as a last note, I would try and make sure that you are consistent with them, as right now they do appear to have very distinct personalities from each other (which I like). Anyway, so sorry I couldn't of been more helpful with this! I'm pretty rusty at reviewing in general as I haven't reviewed regularly in several months. I think this is off to a good start!

~Snazzy




Steggy says...


Thank you for the review!



User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:24 pm
View Likes
Megrim wrote a review...



Oooh the first chapter is up, yay! I love psych ward/hospital settings. I also am really intrigued by the MC--you have some strong characterization going on with the repetition of his thoughts about a "normal" day and his "normal" routine. Obviously his routine is going to get a wrench thrown in it, and I can't wait to see what that does to him.

Probably the biggest thing I noticed in this chapter is a lack of scene-setting to ground us in what's going on. "White room syndrome," so to speak. For instance, his drive in to work doesn't give us any clues about the city (which city? what part of the city--classy, rundown, subrubs, downtown, back alleys?) or time of year, nor do I have a good grasp of the hospital (well lit and new with shiny glass and metal, or old and crumbly stone and brick with patches of mold, etc etc?). Similarly, Matthew kind of came completely out of nowhere and I had no idea who he was for a while. Some description like him having a doctor's coat or whatever would help clue us in that he's a coworker and not the janitor or something (or a patient). Also, where did he come from? Did they meet at the elevator out of the parking garage, having both just parked their cars?

The other thing I noticed is that the dialogue occasional does a lot of "As you know, Bob" sort of exposition. Rather than sounding like casual conversation, some lines are obviously meant to explain things to the reader. The most obvious example is "The kid whose best friend shot himself in the head, right in front of him?" Maybe try reading the dialogue out loud, and if you can, recruit a friend to read the other character, so you can get a feel for the natural rhythm of the speech.

Tad doesn't strike me as 19 in how he speaks. I'd say he seems closer to the 13-15 range. While I imagine that's part of his mental health situation, I'm not a big fan of it. I'd rather he's actually younger, or he speaks in a manner more consistent with his age (the latter more preferable if you're planning on any romantic tension, of course).

I was also surprised at how brief and uninformative their session was. Have you been to a real life therapist or psychologist? There are a lot more basic questions Ryan could ask, such as "what do you hope to get out of our time together," "what would you consider an improvement/goal," potentially asking why he left the care of other doctors / why he felt they failed him / how he hopes Ryan can help differently, if he has any friends and family (eg to come visit, to help, or for Ryan to interview separately), etc. I also have no idea what Tad's actual mental health problem is, which makes a HUGE difference in treatment and approach. I'm guessing that it's more along the lines of delusions or schizophrenia as opposed to anxiety/depression or eating disorders or something. But I think I really need a clue in this first chapter, so I can a) know what to expect and b) understand what Ryan is up against.

In a similar vein, why is Ryan so young? Is he super super smart and skipped a bunch of school? How does this play into her personality and his approach to life? If he's so clever that he's finished med school so unusually young, maybe he's really perceptive and pieces clues together about the people around him and what they say and do. I'd like to see more of that element to his personality brought out. Actually at the moment, his dependence on routine and normality feels more like a middle-aged kinda guy, which also fits with his mannerisms and speech. Have you considered making the characters older? Ryan could be in his 40s for example, having perhaps just switched specialties and done a second residency in psychology--or even switched careers and only just finished med school. Orrrr maybe he's super experienced in pysch and that's why Tad's been referred to him--he's the best of the best, the House of the psych world.

Food for though. Best of luck!




Steggy says...


Thanks for the review! I'm actually going to try to research more on the aspect of psych wards and how they work. Ryan the youngest because he's extremely talented at his job and Tad, in the past, has had several doctors but he has always 'broken them' to the core, I suppose. I'm going to try harder on making Tad seem older (I felt very lazy when writing this and kinda was going through a writer's block) but thank nonetheless for the review! :D




These were autumn mornings, the time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.
— Rabindranath Tagore, The Cabuliwallah