Sarah.

by SirTobes

My fingers linger momentarily before my mouth, only for a second though, as I pop the tasty little morsel into it. Every bite I take and every ingredient I taste is guilt. Guilt, guilt, guilt. I can’t stress just how much of it I feel as my tastebuds wrap around another treat. Oh, how I love her, the girl with the dark, silky, hair that glows with light, waving like it’s dancing to its own beat, the girl with the deep, sea blue eyes that twinkle and pull me in whenever I look into them, the girl with the hugs that wrap you up so tightly you feel so warm inside you, you nearly die. I love her so much, the girl that gives gifts she doesn’t need to give, forgives things she shouldn’t forgive, does things she doesn’t need to do and is always there when she doesn’t need to be. And I feel guilty, oh so guilty, because I’m none of those, and I never think I am, because even though she argues over and over that I am, I’m not, ever, ever. So as I sit here devouring slowly and thoughtfully these beautiful gifts she has given all I can think is she’s perfect. I’m not, she’s perfect and I’m the luckiest person in the universe that stretches star beyond star, to have her, she’s perfect. And I shout her name out everywhere I go. I shout out that she’s mine, and no one can ever take her, and I will be there for her, that girl with the dancing hair, that girl with the twinkling eyes, the girl with the warmest hugs anyone could ever conjure up, the girl that I’m so scared to talk to I have to write her story’s, the girl I love…Sarah.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:56 am
Loose wrote a review...

Also, "story's" means "belonging to the story". "Stories" is the word you want.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:52 am
Loose wrote a review...

You want an honest review? Really? You just don’t want to be coddled? You can ignore this if you want to be told how perfect this is, because that’s not what’s going to happen.

This is not a story. At best, this is a rough work of prose poetry. Exactly why you are so against that idea is beyond me, but this is not a story. As such, I will review it as a work of poetry and not a story. Why? Because a story has a specific structure that this just doesn’t meet. And yes, that does give me the freedom to say it isn’t a story, because it isn’t. You can’t sculpt a marble statue and parade around calling it a dress, now, can you?

If you want it to be a story, may I suggest the age old technique of “beginning> climax> resolution”? It’s stood the test of time as an effective story structure and is perhaps the easiest. That said, the best route for you to take would be to introduce characters instead of this little monologue you have going. Let’s say you start with Sarah actually giving you the box of treats or whatever. You’d establish a setting, your own character, and then her. Perhaps she approaches you at school or something. You’d want to let us know where you are, who you are, and who she is.

Perhaps dialogue as she gives you the gift. Dialogue always works well in a story and it cuts short the dreary and desperate soliloquy attempt you’re bound to make based on this. Let Sarah say what she wants to say. She’s such a good girlfriend? Let us see that so we can judge for ourselves. Have her say something like “I don’t expect anything in return”. That’s a brilliant segue to the climax of your story: guilt.

You feel bad. You look down at the gift. You start eating the sweets and you can’t enjoy them because you’re a horrible human being. Describe this to us. Tell us what’s going on in your mind. The room or wherever feels empty without Sarah. How do the sweets taste when guilt is coating your tongue like bile?

Then, you try to resolve the situation. You could even use what you’ve already written here by writing it down and giving it to her during math or something, or even by hunting her down at school and confessing your undying love. Your guilt is gone, Sarah still loves you. The end.
That’s how a story works. You don’t just scrawl some one-sided monologue down on a piece of paper and hope no one notices.

If you want to keep it how it is entirely, that isn’t a story. It would need to be moved from where you’ve submitted it on the website and would need to be reviewed by someone who knows poetry much better than myself. But a story it is not. Do you understand now?

I want to see people turn and writhe; make them feel things they cannot see and sometimes do not know.
— Anna Held