You Who Speak Languages

by SilloriaD

You who speak languages, you are such liars.
How does one differ from a tree in the ground?
One finds a home as a seed carried on the breeze finds it's grove.
One brings forth a family as the cherry blossoms and succulent fruit thrive.
One clings to familiarity as roots hold tight to the earth below.
One slips from their haven as an old oak is ripped by the hurricane.
One falls mortal as the mighty pine, felled by the machine.
One despairs as the willow cries in the twilight.
Yet, like the hollows, we echo secrets in the wind.

DragonNoir wrote a review...

Hello! DragonNoir here for a review!

This is an awesome piece of free-verse poetry! The imagery is absolutely amazing and the flow is great too! Although, the message seems very, very engimatic and ambiguous. I know it's not good to add a lot of background, but at least some would do. Apart from that, your choice of language is great and repetition of the sentence "You who speak languages, you are such liars." is effective too.

Overall, an amazing piece of poetry, but it could be made better by making the message less ambiguous.
I hope my review helped! :)

SilloriaD says...

As I said in the description, it is related to the story from which that quote is from. Which means anyone who does not know the significance of the trees from that book may not understand right away. Anyone who has read that book would know of the relationship between the "piggies" and the Father Trees, and then their relationships with the humans. If you've ever read Ender's Game, the quote is from the third book in that quartet (Xenocide). It's very philosophical. If you ever happen to pick it up, I imagine this poem to be more the view of the Hive Queen on the relationship between the Pequeninos (piggies) and the Humans and how alike they truly are.

I copy-pasted from my other reply, but I hope this clears up why you don't necessarily understand the motive behind the writing. I strongly suggest picking up that series, if you haven't. Card is a horrible person, but he presents many ideas that are very interesting.

beprepered wrote a review...

This poem as good imagery and personification but it has no connection with the first and last lines. It's pretty and reads smooth but you're leaving your readers confused about the relevance of the trees and why who speak languages are liars. Expanded on the idea of those examples you used and bring it back to the main point. I know that you know what your point is but the point of poetry is to tell someone the point without explaining it to them. If you have to explain your poem to someone then it's not a poem.

SilloriaD says...

Now, you say if I must explain this, it's not poetry, but someone who has read that book and saw my description would see the meaning clearly. Therefore, I must disagree with that idea. There are plenty of poems I don't personally understand that others do- that does not make them any less poetic.

But...but it says poetry in the tag.

Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson