The Charm of Deception - Chapter 6

by Shady

Rana grudgingly found herself in the carriage before dawn the following morning. She sat tensely with her jaw clenched and arms crossed, alternating between staring out the window at the sunrise and glaring at Father. He pretended not to notice as he chattered endlessly about how charming the prince was and how nice his palace was sure to be.

By lunch time, Rana wanted to rip her own hair out. The effort it took not to scream at Father for his foolishness took every speck of energy she had, yet she knew that telling him what she really thought would do nothing but garner abuse. There was no point in provoking him this early in the trip.

She stiffly climbed out of the carriage after Father at lunch time. She stood for a moment stretching, cracking her back and neck, and then decided to take a short walk as the soldiers prepared a fire to cook their midday meal. She wandered down the road a bit further, breathing deeply, appreciating the sense of freedom it brought.

The road was narrow and lined on either side by a thick stand of trees. They’d made decent time but were still within the bounds of Algnes, so the woods were safe. But she knew the closer they got to Gnamrey, the closer she would have to stay to her guard.

There was no way to get to Gnamrey without passing through the forest of Swaltou. She imagined that once upon a time the forest had been a nice place, like the forests in Algnes, but now they were inhabited entirely by outlaws and bandits.

Father was sure to bring the head of his personal guard, Denton, along with an escort of five other soldiers to protect them on the journey. Rana turned and watched as one of the soldiers brought several branches to the clearing for Denton to use in the fire. She forced herself to breathe deeply, to clear her mind of the frustration and anxiety that this trip already inflicted.

Rana continued wandering about the area until she smelled the savory scent of roasting beef in the air. She took another deep breath, bracing herself, then strode back towards the clearing. She took a seat next to the fire.

“Oh, there you are,” Father said contemptuously. “Not about to miss a meal, are you?”

Rana clenched her jaw, refusing to answer. There was no answer that would make that conversation end well – a fact she knew well from experience. The only way out of an argument was silence when he decided to mock her weight.

Denton met her eye and gave a sympathetic smile, rolling his eyes at Father’s absurd behavior. Rana took another deep breath, forcing herself to stay calm. There were six days yet to this journey – there was no point in making them any more miserable than they had to be.

“Roast beef!” Denton said brightly, bringing two plates around the dancing flame to Father and Rana. He busied himself with serving meals to each of his men before he fixed his own plate– being sure to make enough noise that Father would be too irritated to talk over him.

They ate in silence, then got back into the carriage. As soon as they were in private once again, Father resumed his rattling on about the prince and his castle. By the time they stopped for the evening, Rana felt like ripping his hair out.

She didn’t understand how anyone could be so naive as her own father. She was barely half grown but seemed to be a better judge of character than he ever would be. He was so blinded by wealth, both his own and that which belonged to others, he couldn’t see anything past it.

They ate a quick dinner and immediately retired to bed. Rana laid in the tent for what felt like an eternity, staring into darkness and listening to Father snore. She couldn’t sleep. The anticipation of the journey and the frustration of the day had her wide awake. Eventually, she pushed herself up and grabbed the cloak she brought in place of a robe.

She silently crept from the tent, being sure that she didn’t wake Father in the process. She hesitated a moment just outside, not sure what to do with her freedom. The fire from their evening meal was nothing more than a pile of glowing ashes. The guards were sleeping in a semi-circle around it.

Rana turned away from them and slowly walked along the narrow path that lead deeper into the woods. She silently cinched the cloak around her shoulders and followed the path to the river, using the light of the full moon to be sure she didn’t step on any branches or get caught on any briers.

Before long she reached the bank of the river. She sat on a small boulder overlooking the slow-moving water and watched the broken reflection of the moon. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply, letting the burbling of the stream soothe her.

A twig snapped just behind her.

Rana’s eyes snapped open just as a large hand clamped down on her left shoulder. She whirled around, punching at the man behind her. He knocked her fist to the side. She was on her feet in an instant, bringing her arm up to smack his hand off her shoulder.

She advanced, fist raised. The man hurried backwards. “Whoa there, it just be me. Calm yer young-self down.”

Rana glared at the dark figure in front of her, fist still raised and ready to strike. She could make out a rough outline of Denton standing in the darkness before her. He smirked. “There’s a good lass.”

“Denton,” she said, breathing a sigh of relief. Her heart was racing, body tense even as she slowly pulled her fist back down to her side and uncurled her hand. “You startled me.”

“I done seen that, miss,” he answered with a chuckle. “It’s na’safe for ya t’ be out and about by your lonesome like this, y’know.”

“I know,” Rana answered, crossing her arms. “I just… why are you awake?”

“I be on th’ first watch, miss. We don’t all sleep at the same time. That’d jus’ be silly,” Denton answered. “But I could ask ya the same, miss.”

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Ah,” he answered gently. “Could’na or would’na?”

Rana looked at him for a moment in silence. His Shirrian accent was endearing. Father found the way he spoke irritating, but he was highly regarded by Aldik so Father tolerated it. Rana thought it was sweet. Denton was one of the few people who acted like he had time for her.

“I don’t know,” Rana admitted.

“Come on,” Denton said, gesturing towards the boulder. He took a seat, and patiently waited for her to sit down next to him. She pulled her feet up onto the boulder in front of her and hugged her knees close to her chest, staring at the water rather than looking at Denton.

“Tell me abou’ it.”

“I just…” she sighed, trying to find the words. “I don’t want to go to Gnamrey.”

“I know,” Denton cooed. “But it’s na’ so bad there. I’ve been a time o’ two myself.”

“For the purpose of having your father raffle you off to a man you don’t know?”

“Canna’ say tha’ I have,” Denton answered thoughtfully. “Then again, I canna’ say tha’ I ever had a rich pap who would wanna do tha’ t’ me.”

“Yeah,” Rana answered, hugging herself even more tightly.

“You’ll be alrigh’ though,” Denton said, gently resting his hand on her back. “You’re a strong lil lassie. There’s na’ a prince in this world tha’ can make ya do what you don’ wanna.”

Rana smiled sadly. “Well, we can hope.”

“Right, miss,” Denton said. “There’s hope for ya yet. You canna’ be lettin’ it get t’ ya.”

“Mm, yeah,” Rana answered, finally looking towards him.

“Now, I imagine a bit o’ distraction might be welcome, mm?”

“What do you…?” Rana trailed off as Denton pulled a book from under his cloak. She slowly extended her legs in front of her and took the book as he held it out to her. She angled it towards the moonlight but couldn’t make out the writing on the front.

“I brought it with me for a bit o’ reading stuffs,” Denton said, shrugging. “When I heard yer pap bein’ all nasty t’ ya earlier, I decided I want t’ loan it t’ ya, if ya want it.”

“What is it?” Rana said, a strange warm feeling creeping into her chest. It was odd to have someone caring for her – someone who seemed concerned at Father’s treatment and harsh words.

“It’s a bit o’ war talk,” Denton said, shrugging. “Milit’ry coups and all tha’. It’s written in Shirrian, but you remember how t’ read tha’, yeah?”

“I do,” Rana answered, slowly running her finger across the rough edges of the pages. He’d taught her to read in his native language many years before. It was a challenge for her, but she enjoyed trying to figure out all the words. “But I can’t accept this.”

“Sure ya can,” Denton said, pushing it back towards her as she held the book out towards him. “I checked earlier. It don’t have no pictures in it, so yer pap won’ know what it is. He can’t read Shirrian as far as I know, so he’ll have t’ trust what me an’ you tell him… and I ain’t gonna tell him what it’s about.”

Rana hesitated for a moment longer, then pulled the book close to her chest, smiling. She’d not been allowed to bring any interesting books with her on the trip. This would be a welcomed distraction from Father’s ramblings. “Thank you.”

Denton smiled and inclined his head. “Come on, then. Let’s get ya back t’ yer bed.”

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The days that followed seemed to Rana to be the longest of any in her life. Father began talking the moment he woke in the morning and wouldn’t stop until he fell asleep in the evenings. She did her best to ignore him. His ramblings just upset her further.

The book Denton gave her was fascinating. Father was initially suspicious, but after both she and Denton assured him that it was simply romantic fiction from his country, he grudgingly allowed her to read it. She was surprised he wasn’t suspicious that she knew how to read Shirrian, since her tutor never taught her, but was grateful that he didn’t demand an explanation.

Many of the strategies she read were the same as the Algnesian books she’d gotten from Aldik. Various war tactics, battle formations, pointers on strengthening soldier loyalty – but much of it was new, and she relished the information. She spent her days reading the book, and her evenings discussing the ideas with Denton after Father fell asleep.

At long last, the heart of Gnamrey suddenly appeared. It started as a dark and ominous city in the distance, but soon opened into an intimidating fortress that towered above them. Rana watched fearfully as the carriage made its way through the city and up the hill to the castle.

All the commoners looked miserable. Rana noted the hollow look in their eyes as they blankly stared at their carriage. They barely seemed alive. All happiness and spark of excitement was devoid in the city. She couldn’t help but feel like she was a calf headed to the slaughter.

Father was giddy as the horses went prancing through the metal gates that barred the path to the inner courtyard of the palace. The carriage hesitated briefly before the gates swung open and they continued up to the palace doors.

The Prince was waiting for them.

Rana took a deep breath, trying to still the trembling that suddenly sprang into her body with the appearance of the prince. Father hurried out of the carriage as fast as possible. Rana reluctantly followed behind him.

She irritably met Prince Synakrein’s gaze as he offered her a hand to help her out of the carriage. She hesitated a moment, then resentfully placed her hand in his own and climbed down. He bowed slightly. “Welcome, Lady Elstan.”

“Thank you, Prince,” she answered icily. He regarded her for a long moment, gaze harsh, then finally looked towards where Father was rattling on with compliments.

“It’s delightful to see you again,” Synakrein interrupted.

“And you as well, your majesty,” Father answered, bowing low.

“Indeed,” Synakrein answered. “If you please, I will have my men escort you to your room to get settled before dinner.” 

Hattable wrote a review...

Heya.

Here again, trying to get my sword in KoTGR, and helping my team out a bit for RD. How're you doing?

Looks like I've caught up, for now, dang. I keep thinking I'm a chapter behind where I'm actually at.

Anyway, let's get this started--

The effort it took not to scream at Father for his foolishness took every speck of energy she had, yet she knew that telling him what she really thought would do nothing but garner abuse.

Repetition of “took” isn't great-- maybe try replacing the second with “absorbed” or “sapped” or something similar. Or you could even replace the first with “required”. These aren't exactly A+ examples, but I'm sure you could find a suitable substitute!

She stood for a moment stretching, cracking her back and neck,

This would cause for a lot of commas, but I think a comma before “stretching” may be appropriate? It's a very minor thing, but I'm just starting this review and I'm not sure if I'll have a whole lot to point out just yet so I bring it uuup. It also helps with the flow in this sentence, I think, so-- *finger guns*

the forest of Swaltou. She imagined that once upon a time the forest had been a nice place, like the forests in Algnes, but now they were inhabited entirely by outlaws and bandits.

Swaltou's forest is described singularly, so “now they were inhabited” doesn't feel quite right. “Now it was” might work better? Unless you were to make it plural like “forests of Algnes”, but a singular forest is fine, too. Just gotta tweak this portion to fit that description.

Denton met her eye and gave a sympathetic smile, rolling his eyes at Father’s absurd behavior.

Oof, oof-- Denton's gonna get in trouble. I imagine that, although members of this family's staff may not always agree with Rana's father, they wouldn't go so far as to so outwardly disrespect him, even if he weren't aware of it. It isn't exactly the safest way to ensure their jobs or his trust. A sympathetic smile works fine, and that's good actually, but rolling his eyes is incredibly disrespectful and gives a whole new perspective of the staff that her father employs. Do they all treat him this way? He's not a very kind man, to his daughter at least, but he's got to be real bad for the head of his personal guard to be so rude.
It also just sort of gives the feel that Denton may think of himself on equal footing to her father? (Based on the setting of the story), and if he were, I doubt he'd be working security, lel. It's just a little behavioral/character thing that I don't think would happen often or fly very smoothly in this time period, realistically, so you might consider altering it, but it's up to you!

being sure to make enough noise that Father would be too irritated to talk over him.

I don't exactly get this, and if Rana's father were to catch on he may take it as a sign of disrespect. So far, Denton isn't a bad character, he just plays a bad employee, lel. He's sympathetic towards Rana, but not very respectful to his boss.

Father resumed his rattling on about the prince and his castle

So this could be super wrong but I get the feeling that “rattling on” here could be hyphenated? I'm big on hyphenating things and sprinkling commas all over, though, even if they're not entirely grammatically accurate, so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.

By the time they stopped for the evening, Rana felt like ripping his hair out.

Haha, nice one.

Eventually, she pushed herself up and grabbed the cloak she brought in place of a robe

“Had brought” would read better, I think. Flows more nicely with the past tense of the story.

The guards were sleeping in a semi-circle around it.

There are six guards? So I'm imagining it's either a very large semi-circle, or some of them are cuddling together, lel. Not a note on content, though, this is all fine!

(Dunno if you meant “it's” or if you wanted him to have spotty grammar in his speech) “It's just me,” he says, approaching unannounced and grabbing her shoulder in the dark forest.
Denton, that's not how you treat people. Especially not your boss's daughter? I don't think it's entirely appropriate for Denton to be grabbing her by the shoulder, unless he doesn't care for the rules or something like that. His reaction to shove her fist away while still holding onto her (as it seemed to play out) is also kind of unnatural? Gives a big sense of “oh no trouble” before you dash all that by revealing that... it's Denton!!

I can understand why you may have gone for this. Reader is expecting trouble after being told the forests get increasingly more sketchy as you go along. But it, uh, doesn't work great with Denton's role, unless you're meaning to make him a troublemaker and not a stickler for the rules. I guess I was kind of expecting Aldik's character to be a good way to play out the head of her father's guard, but since we already have Aldik, it makes sense not to copy him again here. Just not sure how you're wanting to play Denton out, and concerned that mischievous may not be what you're intending.

She could make out a rough outline of Denton standing in the darkness before her.

I think “the rough outline” works better, since Denton is less an “a” and more a “the”? “A” sounds like you could go out and find “a Denton” (which you could, but in the sense that all of them are exactly this Denton, if that makes sense?) So I'm partial to “the” here.

“Come on,” Denton said, gesturing towards the boulder.

While I can appreciate all these characters trying to help out our MC, Rana did trail a ways from the camp, and if Denton was the only one on watch, he's leaving the camp unguarded for an increasing amount of time. Unless you meant to imply that someone else was awoken to watch it, or you're wanting to set up for something to happen due to this (I write reviews as I read, so this is the part I'm at as I write this, and I don't know, yet, what happens next).

Rana has a lot of these trailing off bits, both in this chapter and the one previous, and it gets kind of grinding at some point. All the “... ah...”s last chapter (forgot to point it out), and the continued ellipses in this one. It stunts the dialogue's flow and gets dull to read over and over. You could swap some for dashes, if they were meant to have a more abrupt feeling, and the ellipses work for a few others, but some might be better off omitting them entirely.

“You’ll be alrigh’ though,” Denton said, gently resting his hand on her back.

DENTON. Unprofessional.
I'm actually getting some vague creeper vibes off Denton, and I'm not sure if that's what you're going for. If not, oops oops oops, gonna wanna try to step back on the unwarranted touching, maybe. Rana's family isn't royalty and aren't exactly noble(?) but they're still his superiors, and making physical contact with superiors//his boss's kid doesn't sound like something that would go over well in medieval times (or even now, in regards to the latter bit at least).

“When I heard yer pap bein’ all nasty t’ ya earlier, I decided I want t’ loan it t’ ya, if ya want it.”

Small suggestion – maybe tone it back a bit on Denton's accent? All the stunted “to”s and “that”s and the repeated “ca'na'”s is already getting tiring to read through, and putting an accent on too heavily in writing can be a big turn-off to the story. Not that you've done it poorly! There's just a lot of it, and you may not have to adjust every word of his to fit his accent? You could give a few glimpses of it here and there, then tone it back on the “to”s and “that”s by typing them out normally. I'm not entirely sure how to give pointers on this, as I don't write accents a lot and don't encounter them very much either, but yeah-- Hope that's not too harsh and makes sense.

It was odd to have someone caring for her – someone who seemed concerned at Father’s treatment and harsh words.

COUGH-- Aldik-- COUGH. Wyl and Jae. COUGH. Really, come on, Rana. Notice some of the other people that've been kind to you, huh?

“Milit’ry coups and all tha’.

Oh, like here, with Denton's accent. “Military” could totally be left to its original spelling. I actually paused and tried to figure out how he's saying it here, and that took me out of the story? So try not to accent bigger words, and cutting back on some smaller ones shouldn't hurt.

It was a challenge for her, but she enjoyed trying to figure out all the words.

Is this meaning that it still is, or that it had been? If the latter, maybe word it that way so that it's clearer? If it's still a challenge for her, then maybe word it like that? (“It was still challenging for her, but--” etc etc.) Minor thing, but it can help with clarity as to which of these you mean to get across and the clarity helps to avoid stunting your flow.

Denton said, pushing it back towards her as she held the book out towards him.

Maybe change the second “towards” to “to”, so you can avoid repetition.

He can’t read Shirrian as far as I know,

Well well well, look at Mr. Noble and all the languages he speaks-- oh that's right, he doesn't speak this one! (I don't know if he only knows the one language, or is bilingual but skipped Shirrian, so I can't mock him very accurately)

Father began talking the moment he woke in the morning and wouldn’t stop until he fell asleep in the evenings.

*”mornings”, to stay consistent with “evenings”. I'd also suggest “awoke” in place of “woke”, but that's really minor and I'll leave it to your discretion. It doesn't change meaning, and it only impacts the flow on an atomic level.

She did her best to ignore him. His ramblings just upset her further.

These might work better as one sentence? Connected by a comma (after “ignore him”) and a “but” before “his ramblings”.

but much of it was new, and she relished the information.

Toss an “also” in there, maybe? Sounds vaguely contradictory when you say “many of the strategies were the same, but much was new”? I don't know, maybe not--

At long last, the heart of Gnamrey suddenly appeared.

“At long last” and “suddenly”... work? But it doesn't sound right, and I imagine it would have gradually appeared as they approached. Suddenly appeared sounds like it burst from the ground or materialized out of thing air (which would still be gradual unless it was like -poof- “hey there”)

It started as a dark and ominous city in the distance, but soon opened into an intimidating fortress that towered above them.

Ah, yeah, this isn't very sudden, lel--

Rana noted the hollow look in their eyes as they blankly stared at their carriage. They barely seemed alive.

I understand these sentences, but “they/their” feels like a flip-floppy perspective between the commoners and Rana/her father? Could be me picking up on really small things, but I thought I'd point it out. First sentence doesn't flow very well anyway, with that.

The carriage hesitated briefly before the gates swung open and they continued up to the palace doors.
The Prince was waiting for them.

Maybe you could fuse these together, make it “and they continued up to the palace doors, where the prince was waiting for them” (not sure on capitalizing the title, but I'll leave that up to your discretion). It makes this portion feel much less touch-and-go, as it currently does with that short break to go “hey, prince is here!” It all feels like a more put-together scene? Flow is made stronger. All about that flow.

And boom.

I got some vague Beauty and the Beast vibes with that ending and sending them off to a room to prepare for dinner? lel

So! Pacing and flow were both good this chapter. Plot was definitely progressed. Part of me was fearing we might be on the road for more than a single chapter, but you handled it nicely, and boom, we're in Gnamrey now!
Old characters remained true to themselves, new characters weren't handled all that great (looking at you, Denton), but I'm also going to wait on your explanation of just what you're going for with Denton's character before casting too harsh a judgment on him.

I hope this wasn't too harsh and that it helps you out some!

- Hatt

Shady says...

Hahaha, can I just say that I adore your reviewing style? I was laughing as I read the majority of this one lol. I like the raw, gut reactions you share as you read through this haha it's helpful.

And this definitely wasn't too harsh. I was going for Denton being another ally (which, as you pointed out, she has Wyl and Jae and Aldik for that, so she's a bit melodramatic about "I'm all alone and everyone hates me" in this chapter haha). But you raised valid points. I didn't think about how sketch it would be, him following her out into the dark woods then touching her. I mean it was innocent contact meant to be reassuring, but I do see the creeper vibes you pointed out. I'll definitely edit and probably make him a bit more disciplined and militaristic than he currently is. Maybe go for that awkward "I wanna comfort you but I'm awkward and shy and don't know how to deal with a vulnerable girl but I just really wish you'd please get back to the safety of the camp" sort of feel lol.

Thanks for the review, though! Pointed out some helpful things I hadn't noticed before and showed me ways Denton could definitely be improved.

I'll let you know when I post more chapters, if you want?

Hattable says...

!!! Thanks- glad you enjoy my reviews, lel

The touches were definitely innocent, yeah, just not exactly the behavior of a disciplined head of security, like you describe. If you could work that out and make him, like, wanting to help but not really knowing what to do//feeling too distant because of having to keep up his professional uhhh behavior, then his character could probably really benefit, especially with the being the track you wanna go down with him.

Uhh, and yeah, sure! I'd love to be pinged for future chapters. I'm into the story so far, so it'd only make sense to keep going, lel

Shady says...

Hehe sweet. I'll probably get them up sometime this week. I've finished the first draft of this novel but I didn't want to flood the Green Room all at once with my stuff, and I'm going to try to edit these chapters before I post any more so I don't get lazy lol. But yeah, sounds good~ ^-^

Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said

Thanks for sharing another chapter of this fascinating tale and how Rana is dealing with her journey to the boorish prince’s domain . This is a novel that is really captivating and is being handled very well. The intrigue and suspense mounts slowly and held my attention. I get the distinct impression as the story progresses that a lot of planning went into this story since details are starting to fall into place like pieces in a puzzle. Have you written others like this before?
Very impressive!

Here are some suggestions as requested.

During this chapter a special relationship is established between Denton who is the leader of the guards and Rana. This , of course deepens the plot and provides Rana with another ally which might prove very useful as things become more
complicated.

One very important thing to keep in mind is that even though dialogue might be excellent. it needs to be supported by visual imagery. Otherwise the characters tend to become disembodied voices which can be of any appearance.

Denton needs to be described in more detail in order for a reader to visualize him clearly. So it would have been good to describe him in detail. This way he can be seen and not just heard during his conversation with Rana in the woods.

Is there a significant age difference between Rana and him. He sounds fatherly, is he an older man? Does he have a beard? What’s the length, texture and color of his hair?
Is he dark complexioned? Is he tall, skinny, muscular. Also, how are the soldiers dressed? What weapons are they equipped with? Muskets? Swords? Are some archers? Are they wearing kilts? Since they are there to defend Rana and her dad, the reader needs to know how. The type and appearance of their uniforms is also very important. Are they dressed in black?, red?, white?, brown? Are they wearing helmets?

Location:

Because Denton’s accent sounds as if it is Scottish, I concluded that this is taking place somewhere in Great Britain. On the other hand he might be a mercenary.

How does the carriage she is being transported in look? How large is it? What type of horses are pulling it and how many. What season of the year is it? What type of trees line the road--Weeping Willows? Cherry Blossom? Evergreen? Is the road they are traveling on paved or is it a dirt road? Remind us occasionally on how her father looks. Does a doubled chi jiggle when he talks. Does he speak with a lisp? Provide Rana with mannerisms or tendencies. Does she have a propensity to squint?

One way to make a character stand out from the others is to compare to animals such as foxes, wolves, owls, bears, cats, cows, bulls. The trick is to remind the reader occasionally of these resemblances. For example, if Denton has a wolfish look an occasional reference to it will do. The description of the boorish prince is an excellent example. He was described in detail. When we do the same with all our characters, then they will all come to life with the same clarity.

An occasional reference to Rana’s appearance will help us see her more clearly as well. Her time at the riverside at night provides an excellent opportunity. We can make a casual reference on how the moonlight reflects off her golden hair and ivory skin. How her blue eyes look saddened by the approach of her destination. How she pouts her lips when upset with her father. Little things like that create a personal intimacy between the MC and the reader that can’t be established in any other way.

Other Suggestions

There is a triple redundancy in the following part.

All the commoners looked miserable. Rana noted the hollow look in their eyes as they blankly stared at their carriage. They barely seemed alive. All happiness and spark of excitement was devoid in the city.

and they continued up to the palace doors. [....came to a halt before the palace doors]

I cannot visualize the city and the palace itself. Exactly how tall and massive are the city walls? Do they have defense towers at intervals equipped with archers, cannon, or catapults? How thick are they? What material are they made of? All this can be briefly mentioned in the description and adds to the foreboding menacing atmosphere.

All in all a very interesting read. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Shady says...

Thanks for the review! It's good to hear that the story is progressing well. I was a little nervous that I was taking it a bit too slow to hold interest, so it's good to hear that that's not the case.

And yes, I did put a lot of planning into this story. This is actually the fourth novel I've written, but this one has more characters in it than my previous ones, so I'm experimenting with giving each person a distinct voice.

As far as the descriptions, I completely agree with you. A lot of the points your raised I didn't even think of myself, much less take the time to write it in. I'll try to focus on getting some more concrete imagery worked in on my edits.

For location, I created the world, but I did heavily base it off real countries-- at least as far as appearances and accents go. I made up a lot of the culture of each country, but I did base him off an Irish/Scottish sort of character. And he is kind of a mercenary, of sorts. I dunno, when I think of "mercenary" I think more of a character who travels around a bunch and is kind of like a hired assassin -- where Denton is more of a hired guard (rather than a soldier) of a country not his own. So I guess mercenary is an accurate description, though he's been employed by Lord Elstan for many years and is more into defensive fighting than offensive, so I dunno haha.

And sorry if I answered any rhetorical questions. I know a lot of the questions you asked here simply to get me thinking rather than ones that need answers, but I tried to respond to the questions that I though I could clarify a bit.

Thanks again for the review! I'm not going to post any more until these chapters get out of the Green Room, because I absolutely abhor it being clogged up and don't want to inflict too much of my own writing on it all at once, but I'll definitely let you know once I get more up :)

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."
— Neil Armstrong