The Charm of Deception - Chapter 15

by Shady

Rana’s entire body shook with a silent sob as she buried her face in her knees and tried to force herself to breathe deeply. She clenched her teeth and closed her eyes, willing herself to calm down. Panicking would do nothing but give her captors even more power over her than they already had.

She took a deep breath and held it, silently counting in her mind. One, two, three; she breathed out. One, two, three. She had to focus. In; one, two, three. She had to keep it together. Out; she opened her eyes and looked around the small tent they’d thrown her in once more. In; she wiped her eyes awkwardly past the ropes that bound her wrists together, doing her best to keep them from digging into the raw patches of flesh.

So far nothing too terrible had happened to her in their care. The men tied her up and forced her to walk with them, the large man carrying her for part of the trip when she was being too obstinate about going with them, but otherwise they hadn’t touched her. They walked until sundown, when they reached a large camp.

They led Rana to the far edge of the camp and shoved her into an empty tent, then placed a boy outside to be sure she didn’t try an escape. She was too worried at first of what their plans for her were to think of escape. But now she knew she needed to make a plan. She couldn’t just sit back and let the men abuse her. She was done playing victim.

The tent was bare, as far as she could tell. There was a small sliver of light sneaking into the tent through the flap that served as the door, but otherwise the tent was dark. She couldn’t see anything else, aside from the boot of the guard that tossed her in the tent, standing just outside the tent to the left.

She looked at the ropes around her wrist. Ordinarily she’d try to escape them, but her wrists were already burning and itchy from the cuffs in the dungeon. She didn’t want to risk inflaming the skin even further than it already was. She sighed in frustration.

If only she could get her hands free, she figured she could escape.

Before they’d wrestled her into the tent, she saw that it was on the edge of the camp. Behind her tent was a dark stand of trees. If she could slip away unnoticed, she was sure she could get far enough away that they wouldn’t be able to find her. At least not until the morning light. And by then she hoped their passions wouldn’t be inflamed.

She tried the ropes once but growled in frustration as it broke open one of the scabs on her wrists, making the scrape start bleeding again. Rana almost thought that her feet and legs were sorer than her wrists at this point, after all afternoon marching without shoes.

“Has the girl caused you any trouble?”

Rana’s head snapped up as she heard the leader’s voice just outside the tent. She’d dawdled too long. If he got his hands on her, there would be no escaping. She’d assumed they’d have dinner at least before they wanted their perverted entertainment. Apparently, she was wrong.

She panicked. She hadn’t expected his voice to send such a surge of terror into her body. Now that the anger had worn off, the only emotion she had left was unbridled fear. No, stop. You can’t quit yet. You can’t, she thought. She turned suddenly and plunged her hands under the edge of the tent.

She lifted the canvas just high enough to get her head under it, then used her elbows to pull her body the rest of the way out of the tent. She turned back towards the tent and pulled her skirts free, letting the edge of the tent fall back to the ground. She turned forward, raising up to one elbow.

“Jayk! The girl’s gone!” the guard’s panicked voice came from inside the tent. “Jayk!”

Suddenly a pair of boots stepped into Rana’s line of vision. She froze, body tense as she forced herself to look up into the eyes that glared down at her. There was an uncomfortable silence as the man stood over her, arms crossed, brow furrowed.

He looked beyond exhausted and had dark bags under his eyes. But that didn’t take away from the intensity of the glare he sent her, or the rigidity of his jawline. She looked at him breathlessly, eyes wide, too afraid to care about pretending not to be scared of him.

“Jayk!” the guard’s voice came again. “She’s not here.”

“Yeah, I got her,” the man standing over her called back, never taking his eyes off her. Jayk. She tried to commit the name to memory. It sounded vaguely familiar, like the name of your parent’s old friend that you’d heard stories of, but never actually met yourself.

Keeping his expression as unreadable as ever, Jayk bent and hooked his hand in her elbow. He jerked her to her feet then pulled a dagger from his belt and held it to her abdomen. “Walk.”

She hesitated, glancing at the woods briefly before turning her eyes back towards his face. He lifted his eyebrows challengingly, his expression every bit as terrifying as it was back in the clearing, and held his dagger even closer to her stomach. “Move.”

“Okay,” she said, too terrified to defy him further. She knew she didn’t want to head towards whatever type of “fun” he had planned for her in the camp; but there was no point in letting him slice her up before dragging her to whatever her fate was to be.

She turned and walked around the edge of the tent, Jayk pressing his dagger against her lower back the entire time. The man who was supposed to be guarding her along with the large man from the night before were both standing in front of the tent, scowling as soon as she stepped into view.

“Was it really so difficult to keep an eye on a tied up little girl?” Jayk questioned.

“I didn’t realize…” the man trailed off, ducking his head. He seemed fairly young, maybe in his early twenties, and looked abashed at having Rana nearly escape on his watch. He sent her a glare, then looked down in shame.

“Didn’t realize?”

“Nothing. Sorry,” he said, looking up cautiously. “I messed up.”

“Do better.”

“I will, Jayk,” the man answered, nodding. “I’m sorry.”

To Rana’s surprise, Jayk clapped the man on the shoulder and nodded his forgiveness. For a man that had the power to chastise a guard, it seemed strange to her that he’d be so freely forgiving. Or that he allowed them to call him by his first name. He certainly didn’t seem like a cruel master to the men in his charge.

A moment later Jayk’s attention was back on her. He gestured towards the flap of the tent with the tip of his dagger. “In.”

She hesitated a moment. Just because he wasn’t cruel to his men didn’t mean he wasn’t going to be cruel towards her. She didn’t want to risk it. She grudgingly obeyed, stepping back inside her canvas prison. Jayk followed her in, then the large man walked in carrying a stack of clothes and a lantern that he set on the ground.

“Jayk,” Jayk said, gesturing towards himself. He pointed at the other man. “My brother, Drayan.”

Rana was silent a long moment, wondering whether she should answer as she eyed Drayan. He was tall and muscular, and every bit as terrifying now as he was the night before. His arms seemed to be as big around as her legs. His dark brown hair was long and knotted and his beard was long and unkempt.

“Decent manners say you tell us your name now.”

“Decent manners say you don’t kidnap me.”

“Elstan, right?” Jayk said, not rising to the bait. “I can call you Ellie. Ellie-girl has a ring to it.”

“Rana,” she answered with a sigh, not wanting to give him a chance to think up any distasteful nicknames that might stick. “Darrana Elstan.”

Jayk cut the rope that bound her hands.

“There now, that wasn’t so hard, now was it? Put these on.”

He held a pair of trousers out to her.

Rana took the trousers and ran her fingers over the coarse material. “Fine. A bit of privacy.”

“Nope.”

“Then I’m not changing.”

“You are,” Jayk answered, drawing himself up to loom down at her. “And you’d do well to enjoy the privacy you’re getting here, or I’ll drag you out into the middle of the camp and make you change there.”

Rana didn’t want to risk him making good on his threat. She sighed irritably and turned her back to both of the men, doing her best to slip the trousers under her skirts without showing too much of her legs. She fastened the trousers but found that they still hung loosely off her hips.

She pressed the palm of her hand into her left side, trying to make the throbbing of her corset stop. Her attempt at escaping the tent made the stiff ribbing dig into her side, making it hurt terribly. She wasn’t sure how she’d manage to get free of this dress on her own.

Suddenly she felt rough hand brush her neck, then begin undoing the buttons on the back of her dress. She started to turn towards him, but he grunted and put his hand on her shoulder, turning her away from him again. Rana felt indignant, like a child standing, waiting to be helped by this cocky man. Yet she knew she’d look even more foolish if she fought and tried to do it herself.

As Jayk neared the bottom of the row of buttons, he nodded to his brother. Drayan walked until he was standing directly in front of Darrana. Jayk undid the final button then pulled his dagger out and sliced the thin cord that bound her corset shut.

Rana gasped, stumbling forward and falling against Drayan’s chest in a clumsy attempt to steady herself. She’d never been freed from a corset that quickly, and the sudden lack of pressure on her abdomen paired with the knife’s stroke made her world spin.

“Look at that, the girly can breathe,” Drayan said, grasping her forearm gently. “I’d never seen your chest rise or fall, in all this time you’ve been with us.”

“That’s because it couldn’t,” Jayk said. “I really don’t know why you silly girls insist on wearing these things. They seem dreadful.”

“They are,” she agreed, stepping away from Drayan. He held to her wrist. She jerked away from him, but suddenly realized her mistake as he held on to the sleeve of her dress, yanking it off her as she pulled away. She covered her chest as best she could, not pleased at only having the thin layer of her slip between herself and the men and took the shirt Drayan offered her.

She quickly worked the buttons, trying to roll the sleeves up past her hands so they wouldn’t dangle too low. Jayk watched her a moment then nodded, gesturing towards the opening of the tent. “Alright. This way. It’s time for you to go meet the boys.”

Wed May 30, 2018 8:55 am
Hattable wrote a review...

Heya, Vyper!

I'm here for a bit to try and get back into this novel. Grammar things, content after. You remember how this goes, yeah?

She took a deep breath and held it, silently counting in her mind. One, two, three; she breathed out. One, two, three. She had to focus. In; one, two, three. She had to keep it together. Out; she opened her eyes and looked around the small tent they’d thrown her in once more. In; she wiped her eyes awkwardly past the ropes that bound her wrists together, doing her best to keep them from digging into the raw patches of flesh.

The semicolons here aren't used in the correct way, I don't think? Even if they were, it looks a little choppy. For the first instance, I'd suggest just making it two sentences (“One, two, three. She breathed out.”) Since she's thinking the counting, the two don't necessarily have to be attached as they would be for dialogue? So yeah--

Onward to the other semicolons! These boys aren't quite right either. They might work as just regular colons? “In: one, two, three.”, “Out: she opened her eyes [...]”, although I admit this looks awkward as well. You could try making these little stop and go sentences? “In. One, two, three.” “Out. She opened her eyes [...]” But too many of those and it'll look bad.

I'm not really sure how to help here, but hopefully bringing it to your attention will allow you to do some thinking on it and you can come up with a good edit!

then placed a boy outside to be sure she didn’t try an escape.

I'm not sure why but “try an escape” reads as though you meant “try and escape”. Maybe “attempt an escape”? That reads a bit better if you wanna keep “an” in there, I think.

She was too worried at first of what their plans for her were to think of escape.

Somehow this feels like a jumble of thoughts despite there barely being two points to it (her fear and the thought of escape not even being there). I think adding “even” before “think” could balance this out? (“to even think of escape”) Just a suggestion, though--

I think the flow could also benefit from a pair of commas around “at first”, but that's also not imperative.

There was a small sliver of light sneaking into the tent through the flap that served as the door, but otherwise the tent was dark.

There's a bit of repetition here. The first instance of “the tent” could be removed and it would read just fine. You could leave both of them in without it being too bumpy, if you wanted, but we already know she's in the tent and observing the tent, so the constant reminder of that isn't really necessary and starts to bog down the flow a bit.

She couldn’t see anything else, aside from the boot of the guard that tossed her in the tent, standing just outside the tent to the left.

I'd put “had” before “tossed”. The second comma could also be omitted, I think. The current formatting looks parenthetic-- like it's meant to be read as “She couldn't see anything else standing just outside the tent to the left” with the comma break as a quick side-note? It stills reads alright with this, but the second comma's termination wouldn't hurt (well, wouldn't hurt anything but the comma).

Ordinarily she’d try to escape them, but her wrists were already burning and itchy from the cuffs in the dungeon.

Since we're a couple chapters past that, I think it would be alright to specify “Synakrein's dungeon” (I hope I got his name right, it's been a while). Even though she was only ever in a single dungeon, the clarification wouldn't hurt. I think it helps the flow a little bit? It doesn't have readers pausing to go “which dungeon? Oh, yeah.” I am, however, also looking at this as a person who disappeared from the story for a few... weeks was it? And normally someone reading this as a single piece wouldn't have that big a gap between the scenes. But I still don't think it'd hurt.

“Back in Synakrein's dungeon” could also work, so it doesn't sound as current? It sort of reads like the cuffs in the dungeon are still, right this instant, burning her, when it happened a while ago.

She didn’t want to risk inflaming the skin even further than it already was.

And by then she hoped their passions wouldn’t be inflamed.

There's about a paragraph and then some separating these two quotes, but the use of “inflame” is still a little too close for my reading comfort. I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to repetition (though I might be wrong). If I'm not any more sensitive than another reader, then this could probably do with some editing.

I can't think of any appropriate substitute words, unfortunately, but if you deem this a worthy edit then you may be able to dig something up? I really wish I had some decent synonyms to suggest for these sorts of edits when I bring them up, but ahh!

She tried the ropes once but growled in frustration as it broke open one of the scabs on her wrists,

“ropes”, “it” – One of these should be switched to singular “rope” or plural “they” so that they match and flow smoothly.

Rana almost thought that her feet and legs were sorer than her wrists at this point, after all afternoon marching without shoes.

This is an odd and sudden thought, given her worries thus far have mostly been about his wrists, and her wrists are the ones to have just been damaged further? Perhaps there's a more natural way to segue into her feet and legs hurting? Have her groan about the torn scab and then realize all the pain the rest of her body is in? Jumping so abruptly to her feet and legs here just feels awkward without that sort of transition, I think.

Jayk. She tried to commit the name to memory. It sounded vaguely familiar, like the name of your parent’s old friend that you’d heard stories of, but never actually met yourself.

This is a good bit, but I don't think it fits the style of the story? If this were more of a comedy or satirical fiction, then maybe? Or even just contemporary fiction, I suppose. But for this medieval world, and with the way the story's been written thus far, it feels out of place to me.

(This could also be another instance of just my lack of reading this story for a while and forgetting how things go, but--! I don't know!)

Keeping his expression as unreadable as ever, Jayk bent and hooked his hand in her elbow.

They've been looking at each other for, what, eight seconds? The phrase “unreadable as ever” sounds as though she's known him for a much longer time, though. It implies a relationship that doesn't exist between the two. If she'd encountered him at least a couple days before, (or even a single day before), then it would be a bit more passable? But given that they've only just laid eyes on one another for the first time, it feels weird.

He lifted his eyebrows challengingly, his expression every bit as terrifying as it was back in the clearing, and held his dagger even closer to her stomach. “Move.”

Oh, is Jayk the Robin Hood guy? I don't recall if his name had ever been mentioned before, and if this is the first time it's mentioned, I didn't pick up that it was him. My previous note on the “unreadable as ever” phrase still stands, since he wasn't particularly unreadable back in the clearing, if this is indeed Robin Hood.

I also suggest changing “was back in the clearing” to “had been back in the clearing”.

She knew she didn’t want to head towards whatever type of “fun” he had planned for her in the camp; but there was no point in letting him slice her up before dragging her to whatever her fate was to be.

Since you use double quotation marks for dialogue, I'd use single quotation marks for “fun”, here. That's just how I format things, personally, though, so you don't have to follow it. What I'm more concerned with here is the semicolon. It's acting more like a comma. When using semicolons, conjunctions aren't necessary? I don't think they're even recommended, since semicolons work to glue two independent clauses together. The “but” makes it read as a single sentence, even though you could start a sentence with “but”. If that makes sense? I'm not suggesting removing the “but”. I think it would be better to swap the semicolon out for a comma. I've also got it out for semicolons, though-- those monsters-- so it's up to you.

I don't recall her last name ever being mentioned, but, again, I'm behind a ways. I'm assuming Jayk and Co. picked the name up from going through her father's belongings? (I may need to go back and recap, lel)

There now, now was it, here now, now now! I'd suggest cutting one of these “now”s out, if you're not too attached to that being his way of talking.

Her attempt at escaping the tent made the stiff ribbing dig into her side, making it hurt terribly.

“had made” would read better, I think.

Suddenly she felt rough hand brush her neck, then begin undoing the buttons on the back of her dress.

*a rough hand?

“I really don’t know why you silly girls insist on wearing these things. They seem dreadful.”
“They are,” she agreed, stepping away from Drayan.

Right here, for a brief flicker, Rana and Jayk become sort of chummy? And it's bit unnatural given Rana's fear of and anger at the men. Maybe add a bit of edge to her voice? Or have her say it with some bite? Something to keep her attitude consistent and alive.

And that's the end of that!

It's almost 2 AM, so I won't be doing any further reviews tonight, but I hope to finish the others asap. It may take some time, but I hope to have them done within the next couple weeks, because I'll be away for a while after that (then back to review again, but I don't wanna keep you waiting).

In the meantime, let me try to go over some content-type stuff!

The flow and pacing of this chapter were pretty good. Rana's escape was short-lived, but none of it felt too rushed or dragging, so good job there. Character consistency was well and alive, especially in Rana's stubbornness. I may be a bit rusty on some aspects of this story, but Rana being stubborn? That's definitely a constant, lel.

It looks as though Jayk is meaning to recruit Rana (albeit forcefully) into his merry band, yeah? I'm interested to see where this goes, and how Rana will fare as (seemingly) the only woman in the group, if she chooses to stay. Not that she seems to have much of a choice? Hopefully all goes well for her, though, because I'm still on edge about her safety!

Anyway, I hope this review was helpful and sorry again for the wait!

- Hatt

elysian wrote a review...

yay! so excited to read on <3

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

Grammar:

The men tied her up and forced her to walk with them, the large man carrying her for part of the trip when she was being too obstinate about going with them, but otherwise they hadn’t touched her. They walked until sundown, when they reached a large camp.

*but otherwise, they hadn't
*no comma after sundown

*about

She was done playing victim.

*the victim

*but otherwise,

*Ordinarily, she'd

This part doesn't make much sense. Maybe say "considering she had been marching all afternoon without shoes."

*the camp, but
or
*the camp; there was

“You are,” Jayk answered, drawing himself up to loom down at her.

not sure but this is possibly a typo? *look

*a rough
*began

She covered her chest as best she could, not pleased at only having the thin layer of her slip between herself and the men and took the shirt Drayan offered her.

*with

Story:

I know I gave one way to make this sentence better up above, but you could also say "Rana almost thought that her feet and legs were sorer than her wrists at this point after marching all afternoon without shoes."

I will say that I think my earlier suggestion flows best.

If she was so worried about giving her name, why would she let some senseless name make her tell him? Just doesn't make sense to me from what I've gathered about her character.

So, a nice chapter, probably necessary for the story. I'm interested in knowing more about these two new characters and what exactly they plan to do with her. I have a feeling they're not really going to use her as a plaything, considering how they dressed her. Only reading on will tell!

Onto the next chapter :-)

- Del

Poetry lies its way to the truth.
— John Ciardi