z

Young Writers Society



The Charm of Deception - Chapter 14

by Shady


Rana gaped as she stared down at the man, suddenly recognizing him. His voice, his obviously rehearsed line, his cocky swagger — he was the thief from the night before. Her eyes flicked to the large man a few steps behind him, wondering if he’d been the other man she’d had the run-in with. Clearly, they felt they needed more than the few coins they’d taken from her the night before. 

It was strange to see them in the daylight. The first man looked every bit as cocky and nonchalant as he sounded the night before and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself as he stood over Father. Father seemed furious and terrified at the same time, huddling against the carriage and glaring daggers at the man.

“I won’t stand for this!” Father bellowed.

“Well, evidently not, I see,” the man answered, smirking. “You’re barely managing to cower properly. I don’t imagine you’d ever manage to stand against us.”

Rana didn’t know how to respond. If it was in any other situation, she’d champion this man as a hero — one of the only men she’d met who didn’t fear Father’s rage. It was refreshing to hear him deliver well-deserved insults.

But she still wasn’t sure if he’d take it too far. As much as she and Father argued, as much as she hated him sometimes, he was still her father and she had an obligation to keep him from being skewered with a sword.

“W-what do you want?” Father sniveled.

“Your riches,” the man said, motioning towards the cart just behind the carriage. Several men were already digging through the packages, hauling bundles into the woods. Rana was almost happy to see them go, welcoming the disposal of all of the ghastly gifts from the monster.

“No!” Father sprang to his feet. “Not those! Those were gifts!”

“I’ll consider them that much dearer,” the man answered condescendingly.

“You have no right!”

“I have just as much right to them as you do,” the man snarled, brow darkening as he glared at Father. He pulled a sword and turned it on Father. “Those are nothing but a tribute of the theft wealthy men like yourself insist on inflicting on the poor, for no reason but your own amusement. I will be taking them, and if you have a problem with that, I can make you into mincemeat before I do.”

Rana watched as the man lifted his sword, threatening Father with the tip. She took a deep breath. She needed to make her move, or risk watching the man hack Father to bits. She tightened her grip on the sword and got her foot between herself and the carriage. She hesitated a moment longer to steel her will, then sprang into the air.

She easily leapt over Father, throwing herself towards the man with the sword. She knocked his sword to the side as she landed, making him stumble backwards in surprise. She took the moment of confusion to advance with an overhanded blow, quickly followed with a pass towards his left side.

The man parried her strike, regaining his composure and turning his full attention to her. Rana launched into the combination attack Aldik taught her — two strikes to the left, once on the right, an over-headed blow, followed by a thrust towards his abdomen and a final blow towards his right oblique as his balance was off from the thrust.

The attack started as expected, but to Rana’s surprise the man seemed to anticipate her advances. He blocked the thrust towards his torso without losing his footing, making it easy for him to parry the attack to his oblique. His parry tossed her sword to the ground, leaving her wide open for an attack.

Rana panicked, turning her wide-eyed gaze towards the man’s cool smirk. He didn’t seem ruffled in the least and could’ve easily skewered her — but he took a moment too long to gloat. She glanced down and saw his footing wasn’t squared. Without a moment’s hesitation, she threw herself back into action.

She fell onto her back, ignoring the pain that came as her head struck the hard-packed dirt road. She locked her right heel behind the man’s knee and jerked it towards herself, using her left foot to kick at his ankle. She rolled as soon as she landed, grabbing her sword and attempting to pop up on his other side. It didn’t work.

Instead of falling, the man stomped his foot down on the blade of her sword, pinning it to the ground. She was half-way to her feet when her body suddenly stopped, as the sword didn’t come with her arm. The man swiftly bent and grabbed her upper arm, yanking her the rest of the way to her feet and disarming her in the same motion. A moment later he gave her a hard push, slamming her into the side of the carriage next to Father.

She whirled around breathlessly, embarrassed and indignant, but mostly afraid as she watched the man stalk towards her swiftly, jaw set and eyes flashing with anger. He stood so close she could hear his heavy breathing from their fight and see the individual hairs in his eyebrows as they knit together in in a scowl.

He lifted his sword and pressed the tip against her throat. He stared at her for several long, agonizing moments, keeping his blade pressed to her neck. She could scarcely breathe, and her heart was beating so hard it felt like it might rip free of her chest at any moment.

This was nothing like losing a sparring match. She wished she would’ve stayed in the carriage, like she was told.

“Well, well, well, a noble girl with a sword,” the man said after what felt like an eternity. “How interesting.”

Darrana took a deep breath, forcing herself to stay calm. Her head felt light, and she feared she might pass out. Again. But she couldn’t afford to panic. Father needed her to stay calm. She forced herself to look the man in the eye as she answered. “It’s my father’s sword, sir.”

“Sir is it, now?” the man scoffed. “Well if that ain’t funny. You take her sword, and suddenly the manners return.”

“My father’s sword, sir,” she insisted. She hesitated a moment, wondering how knowledgeable she should sound about swordsmanship. She decided to err towards the side of ignorance. “Its case-thingy is in the carriage. It would be worth more to you than killing us, sir.”

“Well, now, that depends entirely on the price I place on your blood, don’t it?” he asked, looking at her with a curious expression. It was halfway between anger and intrigue. She couldn’t quite tell whether he wanted an answer or for her to keep quiet. “Mm?”

“Yes, sir,” she murmured, finally lowering her gaze. She hated always having to back down, but mostly she hated herself for jumping into a fight without thinking things through. “I suppose it does.”

“There, now, that’s better. Subdued like a proper little lady,” the man said, patronizingly. Rana’s eyes snapped back towards his face, clenching her teeth as anger coursed through her body again. She was fed up with men and their chauvinistic nonsense. “Good job, sweetie.”

Before she had a chance to respond, the man suddenly jerked his blade away from her throat and grabbed her upper arm with his left hand. He threw her towards the group of men behind himself that were still staring in a stunned silence. She stumbled forward into their midst, freezing as she regained her balance and found herself surrounded by burly men.

She felt their eyes boring into her, but none of them made a move to grab her. She slowly straightened her shoulders, hoping she didn’t look as scared as she felt. She turned back towards the man who bested her, then glanced towards where her sword still laid on the ground — just out of her reach.

The man followed her gaze then locked his eyes on her face. She felt his gaze and reluctantly looked up to meet it.

“Ah-ah, sweetheart. I wouldn’t if I was you.” He held one finger up, like he was talking to a dog he was trying to train. “Stay.”

She snorted, indignant, as the men standing between her and their leader shifted their positions, trapping her inside a ring. She straightened her back, latching on to every ounce of indignation still welling inside her, trying to feed the anger so she wouldn’t freeze in fear.

“Father’s sword, eh” the man said, turning back towards Father. “I’d put my money on her winning a sparring match between the two of you.”

“I don’t intend to find out,” Father said.

“Really?” The man’s face lit up with a sudden idea. “Well, I do.”

The man turned back to face Rana and gestured a silent command to his men. A moment later a skinny boy who looked like he wasn’t much older than Jaerek stepped forward and handed her his sword. Another man placed his hand between her shoulder blades and gave her a swift push towards the carriage.

The man picked up Father’s ornate sword and tossed it into the dust next to where Father cowered. “A fight. You two. Go.”

“I’m not fighting her,” Father spat.

“You are. Fight to the death — I’ll let whoever wins the match walk away. That’ll save me from having to kill the both of you.”

Rana felt a fresh pang of fear shoot through her stomach. She’d seen her Father sparring, and it was a pathetic sight. He was a businessman, not a fighter. She’d be able to beat him easily, and that would defeat the purpose of her leaping off the carriage in his defense. She glared at the man. “I’m not going to fight my father.”

“Sure you will.”

“I won’t.”

The other men in the band were shuffling, avoiding looking directly at them, not sure how to respond to a girl defying their leader. He was a man that they all respected and obeyed without question — and here was a half-grown little brat trying to disobey. It was embarrassing.

“You don’t have a choice.”

“Wanna bet?” Rana was surprised at her sudden sense of courage. A voice in the back of her mind was nagging at her to be quiet, to just obey the man’s wishes. But somehow that voice wasn’t loud enough to drown out her own defiant responses. She threw her sword on the ground, then crossed her arms as she glared at him.

The man lifted his eyebrows challengingly. “You think that’s a good move?”

Rana suddenly started to feel that it wasn’t, in fact, a good idea. She almost wished she would’ve just gone through with his stupid plan and let Father win. The look on the man’s face as he glared at her wasn’t encouraging.

She swallowed hard, forcing herself to stand her ground as he approached. If she survived Synakrein’s hand, she could manage whatever abuse this man wanted to deal. It didn’t matter what he did. She would never again let someone force her into needless violence.

“You should think about that before you answer,” the man said, standing uncomfortably close to her. “Because your choice is fight your father and have a pretty good chance of winning and walking out of this unscathed, or to come back to camp me and the boys for a bit of fun.”

His words brought an even stronger sense of dread. She shuddered as he winked at her. She didn’t think she’d ever been faced with such a no-win choice before in her life. She could choose to murder her father, or she could choose to be used as a play-thing for the filthy bandits. She didn’t even know how to begin considering those options.

“Just take her,” Father’s sniveling voice came. “But don’t hurt me!”

There was a stunned silence in the clearing. Rana gaped at his treachery. Everything that transpired the past quarter hour — the fight, her defiance, this ultimatum — was her attempt at rescuing him. She did everything in her power to protect him. And he was willing to throw her away for his own safety.

“Fun it is,” the man said. He grabbed hold of the shoulder of Rana’s dress and shoved her roughly towards the woods, ignoring her protests. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Sat May 12, 2018 5:50 am
View Likes
Hattable wrote a review...



Heya.

Badabing, badaboom, got another review for you.

Rana gaped as she stared down at the man, suddenly recognizing him. His voice, his obviously rehearsed line, his cocky swagger — he was the thief from the night before.

Oh! Snap! What!

“I won’t stand for this!” Father bellowed.

“Well, evidently not, I see,” the man answered, smirking.

Your characters have such great witty remarks and I love every single one of them.

“You’re barely managing to cower properly. I don’t imagine you’d ever manage to stand against us.”

I will say that the last sentence here feels a little unnecessary, though. Like it's trying to make sure that we got the joke. It reads perfectly without this-- the comedic timing and everything is just great-- so I'd recommend removing that last bit, but it's up to you!

Rana didn’t know how to respond. If it was in any other situation, she’d champion this man as a hero — one of the only men she’d met who didn’t fear Father’s rage. It was refreshing to hear him deliver well-deserved insults.
But she still wasn’t sure if he’d take it too far. As much as she and Father argued, as much as she hated him sometimes, he was still her father and she had an obligation to keep him from being skewered with a sword.

I don't see the need for the paragraph break here? I think they'd work fine as a single paragraph. I guess you may have worried about it looking chunky? But it wouldn't be too big. Most of your paragraphs tend to be about the length of these individuals, and it can get dull reading through a bunch of similar length paragraphs. Making this a single larger one could benefit your flow, and there's really nothing to call for the separation, as the subject and perspective don't change any. It's very much the same idea/thought broken unnecessarily.

“W-what do you want?” Father sniveled.

This stuttering and sniveling feels uncharacteristic of Father, especially with all his bellowing just beforehand. Nothing much has happened to dampen his rage and make him realize this is so dangerous, unless the insult really hurt him that badly, lel. I mean, there's swords on him, but they have been since the start and he's been pretty much his same old self.

Rana was almost happy to see them go, welcoming the disposal of all of the ghastly gifts from the monster.

Second “of” can probably be omitted, and I think you might want to specify Synakrein by name here. “The monster, Synakrein”? It feels a little off, and I know what you mean by “the monster” but since he hasn't been mentioned for a little while, I feel it may be a good idea. Not sure, though. Just a suggestion!!

“I’ll consider them that much dearer,” the man answered condescendingly.

Maybe add a “then”, either at the start or end of this man's dialogue? It's a little sudden as it is, and almost like he's not really listening well enough to answer properly(?) and I think “then” could soften that. While I think this is a good thing to add, I also figure ruffians wouldn't have impeccable language and grammar, so other places could probably be edited to be a bit rougher and whatnot. This, though, is less gruff-rough-ruffian speech and more “oh, that doesn't sound entirely like the same conversation, almost”?

She tightened her grip on the sword and got her foot between herself and the carriage.

I'd specify that it's her sword, instead of just saying “the sword” as the last sword mentioned was the bandit's, and while it's obvious she isn't now holding his sword, it's always good to specify this sort of thing when you've just mentioned a different entity within the same vein of things, if that makes sense.

followed by a thrust towards his abdomen and a final blow towards his right oblique as his balance was off from the thrust.

You might consider making this “as his balance was thrown off from the thrust”, for the sake of a smooth flow.


Oh, snap, fight scene!
As with the start of this novel, you're really good at these sparring scenes and keeping the action going. We aren't left to descriptions for so long that they get dull, but you give us enough to understand what's going on. It's swift and paced nicely and is always exciting. I'm hoping there's some more sword fights as the story goes on.

He stood so close she could hear his heavy breathing from their fight and see the individual hairs in his eyebrows as they knit together in in a scowl.

You've got a double “in” here.

She wished she would’ve stayed in the carriage, like she was told.

Comma is unnecessary and can be removed without messing up what you mean to convey.

“Sir is it, now?” the man scoffed.

I think a comma after “sir” would be appropriate. You might also put single quotation marks around that bit? (“'Sir', is it, now?”) but that may not be needed.

Also, I'll point out real quick that Rana's father has been incredibly silent throughout this sparring. I figured he'd have a lot to say, shouting at her or exclaiming his shock and disappointment that she would even dare to touch a sword. I guess having that during the sparring scene would've slowed it down a bit, but now it feels like he's just sitting there silently, watching this exchange, and it doesn't really feel like how he'd react.

She hesitated a moment, wondering how knowledgeable she should sound about swordsmanship. She decided to err towards the side of ignorance.

For what purpose is she feigning ignorance? She just assaulted the man before her own father, and displayed more prowess than he'd ever expect from her, I'm sure, even though she did lose and didn't manage to land much of a hit. Now that I say all that, I suppose she could think there's still something to salvage there, though.

I'm not so sure about “case-thingy”, though. Would one have to be educated in swords and swordsmanship to know it's called a sheathe/scabbard?

She couldn’t quite tell whether he wanted an answer or for her to keep quiet. “Mm?”

The “Mm?” feels odd. Rana isn't sure if he wants her to speak or not, but then he goes and indicates that he expects an answer immediately after. It's weird, almost contradictory to the flow of things in a way(?) and I think one of the two could do with being removed. I'm leaning towards deleting the “Mm?” but it's up to you how you go about this--


(Where's Father? Still no word from him. His prolonged silence is getting more and more unnerving to my sense of the scene.)

“There, now, that’s better. Subdued like a proper little lady,” the man said, patronizingly. Rana’s eyes snapped back towards his face, clenching her teeth as anger coursed through her body again. She was fed up with men and their chauvinistic nonsense. “Good job, sweetie.”

I think “Good job, sweetie.” should be moved to just beyond the original dialogue tag here, then you could drop “Rana's eyes snapped back [...]” to a new line, otherwise it has the potential to cause some confusion as to who's talking.

“Ah-ah, sweetheart. I wouldn’t if I was you.”

Grammatically, this should be “were you”, but I feel that you're maybe going for that improper-English ruffian speech that I mentioned earlier in this review, so it's good as it is for that purpose.

The man turned back to face Rana and gestured a silent command to his men.

Maybe replace “Rana” with “the ring”, as she's probably mostly obscured by the ring of men around her now?

Also, oh man, there's Father! He was incredibly quiet. I was starting to think I'd missed something and that Rana had attacked Robin Hood around the opposite side of the carriage. Father's reaction is a little disappointing. He doesn't have anything to say about what just unfolded before him, and his expression doesn't even show a hint of how he might be feeling about Rana's ambush with the sword. It's both uncharacteristic and makes the scene wobbly. It's hard to stay immersed here, when he isn't reacting at all, much less not reacting the way I'd expected him to.

A moment later a skinny boy who looked like he wasn’t much older than Jaerek stepped forward and handed her his sword.

If you go with the previous beat's point of replacing “Rana” with “the ring”, then you might replace “her” with “Rana”, here, and then also specify whether the boy was part of the ring or if he squeezed through to get to her. I figure the ring is still intact, unless I misread something? And I also figure the boy wasn't a part of it, as the men making up the ring were described as “burly”.

“You are. Fight to the death — I’ll let whoever wins the match walk away. That’ll save me from having to kill the both of you.”

This feels... matter-of-fact? I'm not sure if that's the word. The way he says it doesn't hold a lot of weight and feels more like an on-the-spot decision, which it may very well be, but it gives this vibe of him changing his mind around a lot. Not sure if that makes sense.

I am interested to see if they do fight, and how that goes-- *reads on*

She threw her sword on the ground, then crossed her arms as she glared at him.
The man lifted his eyebrows challengingly. “You think that’s a good move?”

No, Rana! Very bad move. You should at least keep the sword in hand when you're surrounded by all these bandits and disobeying their leader.

Rana suddenly started to feel that it wasn’t, in fact, a good idea. She almost wished she would’ve just gone through with his stupid plan and let Father win.

Lot of mind-changing this chapter. It gives an uneven vibe and makes me unsure of whether you know what you want your characters actually doing? They go with one thing, but then go “oh oops this was a bad idea”, then “oh but nah it was okay actually”, and then back to the bad idea mindset and it seems to keep cycling that way.

It didn’t matter what he did. She would never again let someone force her into needless violence.

Here's another example of the above note, immediately after the quote from that one. She's flip-flopped back to this “no, actually, I'm doing good” mindset, which starkly contrasts her previous “oh man I should've fought” thoughts.

“Because your choice is fight your father and have a pretty good chance of winning and walking out of this unscathed, or to come back to camp me and the boys for a bit of fun.”

“Choice” should be swapped out for “options” because “your choice [list of options]” sounds as though she's already picked one out, when she hasn't yet. If you were to keep “choice”, it should be pluralized, since there's multiple to choose from.

Also, “is” should be “are to”. “Your options are to fight your father […], or come back to camp [...]” Though, this fella is a ruffian and we're trying to avoid super accurate grammar. I think this part is alright for him, though? I'm not sure how you want this character to play out, but he could be a more educated ruffian.

Oh, and you're missing a “with” after “camp”.

I'm also now wondering why the original bandit, who climbed into the carriage, had let Rana be. Were those his orders? Was it his own decision? I mean, yeah, attacking the leader would ruin whatever immunity they had decided to give her, but Robin Hood here doesn't seem to even consider giving her another chance at just sitting aside and letting them deal with things. That may not be in his character, but it could be a good idea to consider, if he were the one to originally call for her to be left alone. It makes his decisions more consistent and concrete, unlike the wavy, erratic type of decisions everyone seems to be making this chapter.

And done with that!


Father's just shown himself to be a million times worse than before and he's irredeemable to me!


Anyway, some quick content notes-- Your pacing was good, especially in the fight scene. Things flowed naturally and we got through this chapter without a hitch in the flow.

My main issue with this whole thing, though, are the characters. For once it's the characters, oh no. They just didn't behave very naturally, and their thoughts were all flip-flopping. Father went from enraged and arrogant to sniveling and silent. Almost every one of Rana's thoughts were contradicted by following thoughts. I already touched on her flip-flopping and Robin Hood's flip-flopping most recently.

The highlight of this chapter was definitely the sparring scene, though. You're great at those and I can't wait to read more of them. For now, I fear for Rana's safety and hope another twist gets her out of this jam before anything more terrible happens.


I hope this review wasn't too harsh, and I look forward to further chapters!

- Hatt




User avatar
275 Reviews


Points: 15319
Reviews: 275

Donate
Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 pm
View Likes
elysian wrote a review...



finally caught up! yay!

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

Grammar:

She knocked his sword to the side as she landed, making him stumble backwards in surprise.


*backward

The attack started as expected, but to Rana’s surprise the man seemed to anticipate her advances.


*Rana's surprise, the man

He stood so close she could hear his heavy breathing from their fight and see the individual hairs in his eyebrows as they knit together in in a scowl.


*in

He stared at her for several long, agonizing moments, keeping his blade pressed to her neck.


*against

She wished she would’ve stayed in the carriage, like she was told.


*no comma after carriage

He held one finger up, like he was talking to a dog he was trying to train.


*no comma after up

“Father’s sword, eh” the man said, turning back towards Father.


*sword, eh?

“Because your choice is fight your father and have a pretty good chance of winning and walking out of this unscathed, or to come back to camp me and the boys for a bit of fun.”


*to fight

Story:

oooohhh, I hate her father. I was hoping he would have redeemable qualities, but it appears he doesn't.

I'm in love with this story, and I think you have something really good going here. I don't have much to critique honestly, but I enjoy reading these chapters, and I'm sad that I'm gonna have to wait for more! I do hope you plan on publishing in the future, I think you have quite the story to do so.

I wonder if she will tell them that she was the "boy" from the night before? Ask if her gold was delivered? and what happened to the guards and driver on the carriage? So many questions!

Thank you for sharing :-) PLEASE tag me when you post more!!!

- Del




Shady says...


Will tag you for sure! Thanks so much for all of the awesome reviews! I appreciate it~



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 260
Reviews: 36

Donate
Thu May 10, 2018 4:07 pm
View Likes
LadyAstella says...



This is an amazing it is so emotional, and amazing, just amazing. Its intense and professional. I love this and your writing. Keep writing. I loved how at the end you dragged her into the woods. I will keep on reading your writing. Thanking for writing this.


This has been Lady Astella with another review.




Shady says...


Thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying the story :) That's encouraging!




I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother