12+

My Sister's Secrets

by Sec1218

“Hey honey! How was your night?” my mom asks eagerly.

“Fine,” my sister replies. We ride home in silence. My mom parks the car in the garage and my sister and l walk in the house. l go to the snack cupboard and grab cheez-its and a plastic baggie. l hear my sister slam her bedroom door. l start counting out cheez-its. 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10. Mom walks in and sets her purse and bible on the table.

“LESLIE! How many times must l tell you, take your shoes off by the rug when you come inside,” my mom yells to my sister, Leslie. 18...19...20...21...22...23. Leslie walks out throws her boots off and stomps back into her room. l hear my mom let out a large sigh. 27...28...29...30. l zip the bag up and open the fridge. l pull a splash cooler capri sun out and the bagel bag, pop my bagel in the toaster and start it. l finish making my lunch for tomorrow, then lay in bed finishing homework and reading. l look at the time, 11:07.

“Night mom, love you,” l shout across the hall.

“Night, honey, love you too,” she yells back. “l tell tales tall as cliffs, you’ve got a lisp, kid these things are hard to miss, and when you’re drunk you just make love, honey please, like you’ve got somewhere to be, but l can’t bare to hear the things about last year...” Leslie’s music blares. l turn over pulling the blankets with me.

“And l can’t talk to you, the way l wanted to, l’ve been telling lies, but l’ll tell you the truth...” the man sings. l hear the soft voice of my sister singing along. The music is so loud. I would never tell her to turn it down though. My sister loudly walks out of her room and into the kitchen.

“EMILIA!” Leslie shouts. Crap, l finished the bagels. She storms in my room holding the empty bagel bag l threw in the trash.

“WHAT IS THIS?” she asks, furious.

“A empty bagel bag,” l say, knowing l’ve gone too far.

“God you're annoying,” she screams.

“We do not use God’s name in vain,” my mom says quietly from her room. l smirk.

“Sorry, aren’t there more in the freezer?” l ask, already knowing the answer.

“Nope,” she says and storms off. l pick my book up again and read another four chapters. l brush out my hair and spray detangler in it, the only solution. As l’m practically ripping my hair out of my head, l hear Leslie go back in her room, her steps heavy. About an hour later l finally fall asleep. l wake up around six. l slam my head into my pillow and urge my body to fall back to sleep. l don’t and l look at my mom as she peeks through the slit in my doorway.

“Good morning sweetheart,” she says. l flip over in my bed and stare at the collage my oldest sister Maddie made me. My throat burns as l attempt to push saliva down it. l wonder why l don’t hear Leslie’s hair straightener, when l realize that she has first hour release and she doesn’t have to go into school until second hour. l put a t-shirt on and unbraid my hair. l throw a flannel with my brothers band name emblazoned on the back. l pull my favorite pair of jeans up and stick a bobby pin in my hair. l lastly poke earrings in my ears and walk out of my room hauling my backpack behind me.

“Be careful, we don’t want to scratch the floor,” my mom calls from the kitchen. l continue to drag it until l’m in the kitchen, and l lean it against the fridge. l open the snack cupboard, grab the cereal and then grab the milk from the fridge. l see a bowl, spoon, measuring cups, and a drinking glass are already out for me. l pour the off-brand frosted flakes into the measuring cup and then into the glass bowl. l grab an extra handful of the cereal and shove it in my mouth. l pour milk in my bowl and orange juice into my cup, after l’ve measured them at half a cup. We leave at seven twenty, two minutes later than my mom likes. l trip over some trash as l walk out to the heated car. l go into the front seat and throw my backpack at my feet.

“And l think l could make it right, but l drank way too much tonight, and l found some sort of a loophole that’s letting in some light, and for a second l could read my text, and my shoes were tied way too tight, and you know l tend to fight, and you know l tend to blur my sight, and you know l try to hang from balconies know matter what the height,” the radio sings. l shut it off hearing those last words. The car ride is quiet again. l walk into school, my mom trailing behind me. We walk into her classroom and l park myself on her rolling chair. l leave her room at 7:42 and look for Emily. “Baby do you remember when? Fireworks lake michigan?” l sing in my head. Emily’s standing at her locker.

“Hey!” she says, really excited.

“Hey,” l answer back not as cheery. Then l notice Grace standing on the other side of Emily. Emily puts her coat in her locker and closes it. We walk toward the staircase, Grace and Emily chatting, me standing couple feet away. They start to turn down the stairs, l’m going to first hour.

“Hey! Wait!” Emily calls to me with no resolve. She stops shouting and l walk down the long hallway and down another hallway and then lastly down a flight of stairs. l get to the bottom and turn right. l sigh when l see the door is locked and a few people are waiting outside it. l stand there with the rest of them. No one even trying to make conversation. l check my watch and it says its 7:56. l check every ten seconds and right around 7:58 Mrs.Jesser walks up and unlocks her door talking to her teacher friend. We all walk in her room and set our backpacks down. l check the time until it says 8:01 and the bell rings. It’s always a minute off. The bell rings again.

“Community Day students and staff please stand for the pledge,” the boy over the loudspeaker says. l stand up and place my hand on my heart.

“l pledge allegiance to the flag, of the united states of america, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, for liberty and justice for all,” my whole class recites. l sit back down and my teachers starts reading aloud.

“Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, I wonder what would have happened it I'd called out a warning. Or kept my mouth shut later. Would J.T. and Digger still be my best friends? Would the DiAngelos still be living next door? One thing's for sure: If none of this had happened, I'd be out there crabbing every day, baiting my pots in the morning and pulling them in after school. Fall's a great time for catching crabs before the females head south and the males burrow into the mud. I could fix the engine on the boat easy if I wanted.,” my teacher reads. l’ve read this book so l tune my teacher out. l go through my day, my favorite classes being gym, art, and science. After science l walk back to my mom’s room and wave to Emily as she walks past me. l wonder if she knew that she was pretty much my only friend, she would hang out more. l walk into my mom’s room and sit on the rolling chair again and pull out my school distributed laptop and check my e-mail. Only one.

“Mindmeister! Success story: Learn from the best! Anthony Valentin. Mr. V uses mindmeister in the classroom.” it reads. Boring. We drive home and mom pulls up to the mailbox. I nearly fall out of the window trying to grab it. l see the red car sitting in the gravel driveway.

“Ugh,” l sigh. We drive past it as we pull in and l make a face at Lorenzo and Leslie. l usually hate them both. l go inside and see there are two sets of footprints leading to Leslie’s room. l quickly grab paper towel and wipe them up. l sit at the computer for twenty minutes. lt’s 4:03.

“Mom, Leslie’s late,” l shout. That’s what Leslie gets for making me cover for her.

“Oh, right, will you go say something?” she asks me .

“I’d love to,” l answer. l throw my winter boots on and walk out to the red car.

“Leslie, you’ve got to come in, and next time, Lorenzo, you should probably take your shoes off when you come in, l won’t clean them up again,” l say smirking.

“Oh my God, thanks so much,” Leslie praises.

“Yeah but like l said, l won’t clean them up again,” l say.

“Well we’ll come in now,” she tells me.

“Alrighty, l don’t care what you do, mom just told me to tell you to come in,” l say walking away. My boots are off right away by the door and l check in her room, it's a mess, it was so much cleaner this morning. Ten minutes later she walks in.

“Six,” l shout to her.

“Six what?” she asks.

“Six minutes late,” l reply.

“Shut up,” she says to me and walks into her room.

“Oh my God, thanks so much!” l answer, mimicking her, in a high pitched voice.“SHUT UP,” she yells from her room.

“You're not my mom!” l shout back.

“Leave it tomorrow! l don’t need your help,” she screams.

“Okay,” l reply.

“Girls! l am sick of your bickering!” mom shouts from the kitchen.

“Were not arguing!” l yell.

“Yeah, we're debating,” Leslie calls to mom.

“Well, l don’t like it either way,” she softly yells back. l shut my door. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Maybe Leslie won’t have so many secrets.

SacredPen wrote a review...

"Got a secret(okay...), can you keep it(nope)? Swear this one you'll save(delete)?"- Unknown

This was, to say the least, SOMETHING. It, uh, why exactly is it so hard to follow? It's really bothering me that while I'm on the lookout for secrets, I can't help but notice something. You sorta-kinda, kinda-sorta emphasized character development a bit too much over setting and THE MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENT- plot. For a story titled "My Sister's Secrets", there sure isn't a lot of mystery. I figured it would be something basic, like sneaking out of the house or something to that effect, but rather, it was either so subtle I missed it or just nonexistent as a whole except for by dishonorable mention. It makes the story seem jumbled and thrown together out of confusion and lack of planning, and frankly it's quite the odd read. Perhaps if you wrote a revision to this that develops the sister character as a more secretive and secluded individual as opposed to just another cliche hormonal teenager, maybe then I'd understand the "secrets" part. Other than that, good try, and though it could use some work, I appreciate the effort. Ciao!

(Crossing THAT one off the "Never Saying That Again" list!)

MrBrainwasher wrote a review...

The use of 'I' at the beginning of almost every sentence, simply makes it look boring and dull. It's like you are obsessed with 'I'. You even used 'I' at places where it doesn't make sense. like here.....
My mom parks the car in the garage and my sister and l walk in the house.
*and me and my sister walk into the house.
Mom walks in and sets her purse and bible on the table.
*places her purse....
Since the counting is the part of conversation too, it should be in double inverted comma.
*"1...2...3.."
Leslie walks out throws her boots off and stomps back into her room
*...walks out, throws her...
She storms in my room holding the empty bagel bag l threw in the trash.
*into
“A empty bagel bag,”
*An
"God you're annoying,"
*God!
Some terrible english here..
when l realize that she has first hour release and she doesn’t have to go into school until second hour.
*first hour release? What's that? ......*go to school
“And l think l could make it right, but l drank way too much tonight, and l found some sort of a loophole that’s letting in some light, and for a second l could read my text, and my shoes were tied way too tight, and you know l tend to fight, and you know l tend to blur my sight, and you know l try to hang from balconies know matter what the height,”
I just want to know, did you write the song yourself? What's the point of writing all these lyrics, when you can simply choose to write abstract of it.
.
.
.
I see this thing in your writing, that you get a bit carried away while describing a event. Don't explain everything, if you want to get the reader interested in reading your stuff, involve them.
Want to improve?
Write everyday!

Sec1218 says...

Hey thanks for the review, the only thing I want to point out, so that you don't make this mistake in your writing, is that it is not grammatically correct to say, "me and my sister" you have to say, "my sister and I"

But thanks again for the review, I've never written a short story before, and it had been a while since I had written this one!

Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 pm
Holysocks wrote a review...

Hey there! Care for a review?

I absolutely love that you're using songs, emails, chant-things that schools make you do in this. I've always felt that those types of things enriches a piece and also just makes it feel more real- because we all have those things, and it's beautiful. I was also pleased at how real they felt, like the email certainly seemed like some kind of spam that my school would send me as well.

The thing I wasn't too fond of with the songs, emails, and chant-things was that I felt you went into too much detail. We didn't need to have a whole paragraph of the middle of a book that I don't even know the title of. These types of things enrich a piece in small amounts, but if I wanted to know the lyrics to whatever song that was (unless you wrote that yourself- that would be cool but still a bit over-doing it for a short story in my opinion), I would probably look up the lyrics. In a story, the most important part is the story and the characters, and that's what we want to read about at the end of the day- not the lyrics of a song we'll probably never hear. I'm not trying to be blunt or mean by the way, understand that I think you're pretty awesome- or at least the way you write is. ;) I'm just saying that you may need to tweak how much non-story-content that you put into this.

And on a similar note, what's this story about? We basically follow this character through her entire day expecting for something to happen, but nothing ever really does. Stories need things to happen. They need problems and they need people that want to fix those problems. Story's unfortunately aren't that interesting without problems. :/ And other than the fact that Leslie and the MC, her sister, don't get along that... there really aren't any problems (I mean, let's face it; siblings fight). So what's the message you're trying to get across to us? What story are you trying to tell? Because we're listening. C:

As a side note, we also don't really need to know her morning routine. Most people get out of bed get dressed and have breakfast- we're used to it, it's not exciting anymore, so it's not really needed in a story unless something happens as she's getting dressed or while she's having breakfast that really adds to the story.

We get introduced to a few characters and never really learn much about them, which kinda makes your readers feel left out- we don't know what's going on and we don't know who these people are aside that we know the MC is probably friends with these people. But it's like this: imagine you're out doing something with your friend and they bump into some people that they know, whom you don't. And then they carry on a long conversation on a topic you're don't know anything about, and your friend doesn't once try to introduce you to their friend or even try to include you in the convo. It's not a nice feeling, and that's sort of how it feels for readers when you don't really introduce us to a character that's right in front of us, and if you don't give us a bit of a grasp on who they are and what their personality is.

Anyway, I really think this could be turned into a really awesome short if you harnessed the songs, emails, and school chants, and if you took your character's on a bit of a wild ride. :P
I hope this was helpful! Keep it up my friend!!! ^_^

-Socks

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter