A Year and a Half Chapter 1

by RubinLikes2Write

OK i know this isn't fantasy i promise you it will be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter One

Intimidation

I was second to last in the dress code check line in the dark abyssal that was called Red Bank High School. I was seeing if I could get away with wearing shorts even though Spring Breaks a week away. Oh, wait, I forgot to mention, were not allowed to wear shorts after Winter Break or before Spring Break. Once again Red Bank stinks.

I guess I shouldn't be so cynical but sometimes you just have a bad day, ya know? Well, nothing happened really, today is just a dark day. It's just the two year anniversary of Erin's kidnapping. And the police have found diddle-y squat. Everyone who I've talked to today has been extra nice, and talks in a soft voice. It's actually sort of nice.

I sighed Annabel Cory was just sent to the office to get new cloths. I guess I'll probably be making my way there to soon. My mind wandered off again, only to be brought down by Mrs. Corty's disapproving growl,

“Miss. Waldorf!”

“Yes?” I replied.

“Do you realize,” Mrs. Corty begun, “that it is not Spring Break yet?”

“Yes.” I totally knew where this conversation was headed.

“Then pray tell why you are wearing shorts?” She concluded folding her spidery arms across her chest.

God I hate her. I really do enjoy French 2 but I hate Mrs. Corty. Wow, I can't believe I'm going to play this card but...

“Mrs. Corty, sorry but today marks a very dark day for my family and since this is your first year in Chattanooga you probably haven't heard.”

“Heard what?” Mrs. Corty seemed intrigued.

“Well, two years ago my sister was kidnapped so sorry if I wasn't really paying attention to the dress code.” I let bitterness creep into my voice.

Most people would probably think that I was a horrible person for bringing up my sister disappearance to get out of trouble, but, I felt oddly close to her. This was something Erin would have exploited until it meant nothing. She tried once to get me to use our second cousins death as an excuse to get out of homework but I refused. I didn't even know him so why should I be distraught and be unable to do my work? Erin rode out that excuse for a month and a half.

“Oh.” Mrs. Corty was clearly shocked. “Well, I suppose I could let you go this one time.”

“Thanks.”

I walked into the class room and took my seat in the back corner. Letting my purple backpack fall with a loud thump. I noticed two extra seats directly in front of me.

New kids I thought and dismissed any interest. I was more of a loner then a social butterfly.

Mrs. Corty slammed the door shut. It was a habit of hers that always reminded me of a dungeon door closing.

“Bonjour la classe, ira faire avoir deux nouveaux étudiants changeant de Californie.” Mrs. Corty said with a horrible French accent.

Hello class, we will have two new students transferring from California. I translated in my head. I can never speak a foreign language with out translating.

Mrs. Corty looked at the empty seats and frowned. No sooner then that the door opened and two girls swaggered in.

They were like nothing like Red Bank has ever seen before, heck, nothing the world has ever seen before. They were perfect. Better then any Photo Shopped model. One had thick surfer girl red hair and porcelain skin. And a body to die for not to thin not to muscular. And no excess fat. She also had startling green eyes, the kind of eyes that come out of fantasy novels. The kind that look fake. But these eyes I somehow knew were real, same with the hair, it looked fake but was real. The other one had the same china doll skin but had almost amber eyes and blue black hair. She however was way more muscular then the other. She to had the fake but real look.

“C'est Ava,” Mrs. Corty said gesturing to the red head.

This is Ava,

“et c'est Katie” Mrs. Corty smiled.

and this is Katie.

Mrs. Corty said in English,

“Hello girls, my name is Mrs. Corty and when you are in this class you must speak French at all times. If you have any questions Penelope has agreed to help you.”

I sat up in surprise. I never offered to help!

“I won't call on you today. I don't know how much French you know. Is that okay?” Mrs. Corty said in a southern drawl.

Ava responded by saying this, “Je vous assure Katie et je suis plus alors avancé dans le français. Le principe a refusé de nous mettre dans une classe plus haut alors ce beacuse que nous avons juste reçu ici. Posez-nous s'il vous plaît autant de question que vous aimez. Sont l'école à Californie a fait plus alors un bon travail.” In a perfect French accent.

I assure you Katie and I are more then advanced in French. The principle refused to put us in a class higher then this because we just got here. Please ask us as many question as you like. Are school in California did more then a good job. Mrs. Corty seemed to struggle translating. I however was very fluent in French, my mother grew up in France so she taught me, so I became fluent. I was only in here because I barely tried.

“Uhm...” Mrs. Corty mumbled.

Ava and Katie smirked and walked triumphantly to their seats. Directly in front of me.

Katie turned around and said to me, “Ne nous parlez pas. Nous n'avons pas besoin d'aide ou de votre amitié. L'a reçu ?”

Don't talk to us. We don't need any help or your friendship. Got it?

I nodded. I felt so small, and intimidated by them. I couldn't help but compare myself to them the entire class. When the bell rang they jumped up and exited as fast as they could. I got up at my normal pace and continued with my day. Thankfully French was my only class with them.

After school when I was getting in to my cute silver Honda Civic I spotted Ava and Katie by their Bugatti Veyron. A car that my Dad once told me, was the most expensive car in the world costing more then a million dollars. But besides the insane car, what made me the most uncomfortably was that they were looking at me as if I were a freak. I swallowed hard and backed up unnecessarily fast out of my spot and drove home, constantly looking in my review mirror.

Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale