z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Never There

by Rosewood


I'm not sure if this is any good, I did it in my free time after finishing a quiz. I have my own intended interpretation, but feel free to let me know of any ones you think of!


Leaves

budding, green

flowing, building, standing.

Torn from the branch

as if its worth

was never there.

~

Branches

swaying, strong

drifting, hanging, holding.

Snapped from the trunk

as if its beauty

was never there.

~

Trunk

carrying, solid

shouldering, cracking, hollowing.

Cut from stump

as if its integrity

was never there.

~

Stump

remaining, bare

longing, wishing, dreaming.

Ground from the earth

as if its pride

was never there.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 47
Reviews: 56

Donate
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:51 pm
View Likes
izzywidgeon wrote a review...



Aaaaah, nature. The most versatile topic in poetry. This piece is simple, but I love it-for a piece that was done in only a few minutes, this is an interesting piece. I saw each stanza as a roadmap, or an explorative piece on each part of a tree (branches, stump, leaves, etc). And how we as people rip its beauty from it, even thought it did nothing wrong. I loved the ending line in each stanza "as if its __ was never never there." That's really powerful.
I'm not sure if this was meant to be a commentary on the destruction of nature, or something.
But I liked it, nonetheless.

Cheers!

-mintyleaf




Rosewood says...


Thank you! I posted my interpretation in a response to whatchmacallit, but I like your very literal meaning.



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:25 pm
View Likes
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hi Rosewood! I enjoyed reading your poem so I thought I'd drop you a review :)

My favourite thing about this poem is the sense of progression between stanzas - each one leads into the next so perfectly. Partly because of the repeated structure you use for each stanza, but what stands out to me is how the last word of the fourth line of a stanza is the same as the first word of the next. (There's probably a simpler way of saying that!) After the reader figures that pattern out, it has them anticipating what happens next, which is really cool.

The only thing I want to mention about that is that it means in the final stanza, the word "earth" has an important position, if that makes sense. I personally feel that in such a negative poem, you want that important word to emphasize the hopelessness. To me, if anything, "earth" has a positive connotation. Additionally, that line, "ground from the earth", sounds very close to "grounded in the earth", which has a totally different meaning. So I feel like that line could be stronger, or at least fit in more with the poem? Maybe something like "stolen from itself" (though "itself" isn't a particularly punchy word). You definitely don't have to use that in particular, it's just an example so you have an idea of what I mean.

Anyways, enough about a single line :) I think it's super impressive that you're able to use the same structure for every stanza without it feeling repetitive or boring! Instead it just works well to tie the whole piece together, because you use lots of fresh and beautiful vocabulary in each stanza. I especially love your description of the stump: "shouldering, centering, cracking", because those are really strong, vivid, and slightly less common verbs.

Interpretation-wise, to me this poem is about someone who's slowly being torn down by others. It starts as superficial, just leaves, but slowly gets more harmful and extreme until only a stump of their personality and confidence is left.

Ooh hey I just had a thought! What about the roots? Could you add a final stanza about the roots getting torn out of the soil - or, if you want to take it in a more positive/hopeful direction, about the roots clinging to the earth even when everything else is gone?

Overall, I enjoyed reading this poem - the word choice, imagery, structure, are all quite strong. I'm interested to know what your personal interpretation is, too, if you're comfortable sharing it!

I hope this is helpful, and if you've got any questions feel free to ask!

Keep writing <3

whatcha




Rosewood says...


Wow, this was incredibly helpful! I really appreciate all of your suggestions and I will consider using them. As for the addition of the roots, I did think about that as well. You see, I was worried that since this is a relatively repetitive, it might be tiresome to read. But I agree, it would give a positive outlook to the whole meaning and spark a seed of hope, (forgive the pun, I couldn't help myself)! :)

And my own interpretation? Yours was pretty spot on, but I'd like to add that the fifth line in each stanza I mention an aspect of importance each part isn't necessarily known for. I wanted to give the impression that the tree, or person, isn't made up of other's beliefs and stereotypes, but of something you'd never expect. And yet, they forget this piece of themselves as they're stripped of their identity, (physically for the tree, metaphorically for the person). Basically, they too are responsible for letting themselves be cut down.

Again, thank you so much, you were entirely helpful! :)



Random avatar

Points: 1361
Reviews: 26

Donate
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:42 pm
View Likes
SpiderFingers wrote a review...



Hello there, I saw your poem's title and came for a read. All in all, I really enjoyed it! The format that was used to write it was immersive and emphasizes each of the four stanzas. Its style is unique and definitely draws readers in, allowing them to think about each of the stanzas a bit more deeply. I can tell there's a lot of meaning in each of the lines, and I really liked all the imagery and word choice too.

Overall, nice work! This was well written.

~Spider~




Rosewood says...


Thank you!



User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 1303
Reviews: 105

Donate
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:03 pm
View Likes
momonster says...



I like it! It's very good, nice use of descriptive words! Good job!




Rosewood says...


Thank you!




sweet mother of asparagus
— GengarIsBestBoy