E - Everyone Language Violence Mature Content

The Freedom Of Writing:

by RoseTulipLily

The Freedom Of Writing:

To write is to be free

To talk is to be trapped

When I talk to one whom I detest, I try not to scream like a banshee

But when I write, I am unwrapped

I am my true self when I write, not a fake

When I speak, I wear a mask, but when I write, I am myself

As I write this, I realize that this piece is what I make

This is no mere sonnet, but an expression of my true self

I am who I am, as God made me to be

And if he wishes me to write, that I am a writer

When I write, I feel as if I am flying freely through the air like a bee

With how I aim my thoughts on a paper like a target for an arrow, one might think me an archer

My Creator has made me into a crafter

And so I will continue to craft entertainment for others in the hereafter 

MeisterChan wrote a review...

Hey, RoseTulipLily! Scythe here to do a quick review! :)

What I liked:

1. I loved this; it was so relatable, being a writer myself. I love this part:

To write is to be free
To talk is to be trapped

Those are my exact feelings; I can write with no regret, I feel like whatever I write is real, something from the heart. When speaking to people, sometimes it's a totally different story. I feel like in conversation, you can become so absorbed in what is expected and stray away from what is real, almost like becoming something that only better suits the opposite speaker. Writing allows you to be yourself, to express your true emotion and imagination, without the fear of other spectators.

2. I loved the flow! It was so well written and beautiful to read.

What I disliked:

1. As this was an assignment, I felt like it should have been a little more strict in what was included. Now, I have no complete rejection to this, it's a little nitpicky (I'm just trying to find at least a small point, this work is too good to fault!) but I felt like the involvement of religion was not necessary. It made the piece seem more personal and more like a diary entry, than an assignment that scores of people can relate to.

Nonethless, I still loved this! Great work, RoseTulipLily! :D

Keep Writing! <3
-ScytheMeister

Thanks for the review. I am a catholic school student so that is kinda why I very briefly included religion, but you still make a good point about that part.

Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there, RoseTulipLily! I'm not that great at reviewing poetry but I wanted to give it a go since you gave me such a helpful review on my short story. :D

Your poem is obviously one hundred percent relatable to myself and everyone on this site. I loved how each couplet linked back to the main idea that writing makes one free, and it's all you want to do. The poem was very 'to the point' but also had very detailed imagery, so there was a good balance and it was enjoyable to read.

I especially liked your subtle use of alliteration and repetitive sounds. You might not have even realised you were doing it, but it's definitely there with phrases like 'continue to craft' and 'flying freely'.

Something you possibly work on is rhythm of the poem. At times, I strugged to find a proper beat to follow. With the longer lines and detailed imagery, I found that I often focussed more on pronouncing each line properly than actually painting an image in my mind. You could remedy this by looking at line breaks, and add some italics or extra commas to give me hints on what to emphasise.

Overall, I loved the language and message of this piece. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the review! I'll definitely keep your advice in mind

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:17 am
CocoaCat wrote a review...

Sup, RoseTulipLily! It's your girl, Caitlin; coming at you!
I'm here to review your poem, but let me tell you, I have NEVER related to anything more in my life, than this magnificent peace of writing.
I liked that you chose the word crafter, it fit right in and made everything flow.
When I'm talking, trust me, I'm never the same person I am when I'm writing.
Great job!
That's a wrap, good job, fellow writers!
Jeep writing!

Thank you! Poetry isn't really my thing, but I like to try it sometimes and I appreciate your kind words. You're right; we never write the way we speak. Otherwise, we'd overuse the word like. :)

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer