z

Young Writers Society



Tree

by Rook


We sat. And you sat, yourself all a square.
I’d caught birds in my hair, but you didn’t mind.
You were there to throw stones at the ocean,
but in the end, you just sat on a curb somewhere.

You told me your mouth was welded shut
or made of brick and mortar.
And I nodded (my hair all aflutter).

You told me that in the valley
where you used to live
everything’s empty, and I said
you didn’t have to be.

We considered
serious boys,
riding hard, sharp,
heavy black bikes
around corners
like it's a law

and laughed them off.

You told me about mountains;
how they could look like torn paper
when the sun was behind and far below.
Their slow breaths, how they were there
when you tried to take away your own
but couldn’t find the air.

I spoke about the glass sun in my dream last night,
so clear and so bright. I was full to the roots with light.
And you were quiet.

So we sat. And you balanced like a book.
And you felt so small next to me.
And next to you I felt so free.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 10
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:30 am
anoushkasutton says...



sorry, accidentally sent this extra message, please ignore




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 10
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:30 am
anoushkasutton wrote a review...



This is really interesting and well written.
As I started reading, I interpreted this in many different ways, by the end I figured out that it was from the perspective of a tree. (hopefully)
The lines and sentences flowed really well, leading the reader to want to keep reading. I loved the line "I spoke about the glass sun in my dream last night, so clear and so bright", it was very beautiful and left the reader to imagine some nice imagery.
Some of the metaphors are great and some are a bit confusing, but overall they work to piece together the poem really well.

I really liked this, hope you post more in the future.




User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 184

Donate
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:57 pm
View Likes
RoyalHighness wrote a review...



It's always good to see your work, fortis!

I loved this piece, I felt like I was sitting on my back porch at home, looking into the trees as the sun set on a breezy summer evening.

Radrook has some good points, but I did think your word choice was very intentional. This is about two people growing closer together. I feel like I'm being shown around their town-- the bad boys on the bikes, the troubled life the friend leads, the overview of the landscape, the mountains and trees. I could feel the parallels between the glass sun and the paper mountains. I liked the idea of a mouth welded shut, their inability to communicate, probably a result of that empty valley they lived in for so long until they met the speaker.

As for form, I loved the rhyme you started off with but I felt like the rhymes were a bit too far apart to be noticeable by the time we get to the fourth and fifth stanzas. But not to worry, I didn't notice until I read it again. In a way, I like the subtlety of the rhymes, but I think if you're going to go for subtlety, you might want to consider employing it all the way through instead of starting with very definite, distinct rhymes, and then tapering off to more Dickinsonesque slant rhymes toward the middle and end (below/own, paper/there/air, considered/corners).

It took me a couple of reads to understand the meaning of the fifth full stanza, but when I did, it hit me in a place I didn't realize I had so I want to applaud you for your subtlety there in dealing with a really difficult topic. And with that being said, I think the ending doesn't do this poem justice. I don't know what you mean by "balanced like a book." I mean, I know the financial sense of balancing books. But how are they balancing? Like are they sitting somewhere balancing precariously, perhaps on top of one of those paper peaks? Or is it more of a figurative balancing, where they're recovering from the suicide attempt and finding balance in their life? I like the protective sense I get from the next line, "And you felt so small next to me," but the final line. I thought it was kind of a let-down. It's a bit clichéd, and vague. I'm not sure how the speaker was trapped in the first place, so I don't feel that kind of release that that line is, I think, supposed to entail. We need something to show that the speaker was restrained in some way, because the stanza before that is already quite liberating, talking about being "full to the roots with light" (which I loved by the way, that imagery is incredible). I think I want either a beautiful line to end your beautiful piece or another stanza that gives us a tension that would be released by this ending line.

I love tree imagery in general. I love the strength and wisdom it conveys. I think I want to see more of that towards the middle and end, since it's pretty obvious in the beginning. Basically overall, I'd like more consistency across the stanzas, in rhyme and form as well as the usage of tree imagery. If you're gonna use it, use it all the way! While still remaining subtle, which is one of the things I love most about this poem. Not to mention that I love mountains and trees and stories about people growing closer through the survival a traumatic experience.

Okay, I think that's all for me. Let me know if you have any questions. I know I hate editing my poems so feel free to ignore all my advice, but I always love seeing your work where it belongs-- in the spotlight. Much love!




Rook says...


Thank you for your excellent review!
I was wondering if you picked up that the speaker was a tree? And if you didn't does that seem like constraint enough for the final line? Since the tree is permanantly grounded?
I'm really glad you picked up on the fifth stanza's subject matter. This is a revised version of this poem, revised to make that stanza more obvious in what it was about, and to make the speaker more obvious that she is a tree. And to fix a couple other things people in my workshop class mentioned haha
but if it's still not clear enough on those accounts... man I don't know how to fix it. I hate being heavy handed.





I'll be honest, I didn't get it at the first read-through but I got it immediately on the second. You started off letting us see the birds, and birds for me immediately connotate freedom, so I think that might be why I didn't feel the tension or constraint. You can mention leaves without being too heavy-handed. Maybe a little leaf/leave/leaving wordplay or something. I think you're so worried about being heavy-handed that you're not getting your main imagery across on the first read. At least, not for me. Did other people in your workshop class say they had trouble identifiying the tree as the speaker?



Rook says...


Half of them got it, half didn't. I think I'm so wirried about being heavy handed because my teacher kept praising my subtlety. He got that it was a tree and thought I did well in showing that, but I was concerned that half the class didn't get it still, so I added that part with the roots full of light. I don't really like that linebut Idk how to go hey this is a tree while not breaking the idea that it could still be a person maybe





Hmmm. When is the final draft due? Maybe you need to let this marinate a little.



Rook says...


oh the workshop basically was the final draft. I guess I might include this in my end of semester portfolio? That's not for a while. But "marinating" never seems to help my poems because if I wait too long, I feel like I've become a different person and have no right to edit lol. one poetry teacher in high school told me that made me an impressionist haha





oh my god that is such an impressionist thing to say. Alright, well let's see. You want to add some tree imagery but you don't want to lose your subtlety. Maybe you should just leave it like it is and if people don't get it, then they Don't Get It, you know? If you like it the way it is, then you don't have to do anything else. It's your poem! Let other people interpret it as they will. It's your expression.



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing this very beautiful poem. I love the mysterious mood that it conveys and the way that it challenges me as a reader to see a harmonious meaning.

I won't pretend to know exactly what this poem involves but I do know that I find it a very fascinating reading experience because of this intense mysterious tone and conveyed by its enigmatic imagery. Writing it so that we could clearly understand it would divest it of this intrinsic charm since it is the continuous sense of being paradoxical that is its charm.

In this sense it resembles abstract art where the viewer strives to reach conclusions from the images which are never quite clear but which yet hint strongly at concepts and challenge us to provide them with a total harmonious meaning.


Looking forward to reading more of your work.




Rook says...


I thought at least my word choice was pretty straightforward, relying primarily on monosyllabic words with mostly concrete meanings (curb, tree, bikes, etc.). And the surface meaning didn't seem too abstract to me either. What do you find so abstract about this, and how can I improve it?



Radrook says...


Sorry if I gave h impression that the poem is totally unintelligible since that is absolutely not the case. Please note that length of words doesn%u2019t necessarily determine clarity in poetry. The manner in which words are arranged in relation to one another can affect clarity.

Clearly there are two minds involved in the poem. One mind appears to feel satisfied with life while the other isn%u2019t. One mind strives to reason with the other and offers it advice. The other seems unaffected by the advice. That much is definitely clear. However, how that superior mind is tree-like isn%u2019t clear. Who exactly is involved isn%u2019t clear and what exactly the relationship between the two is isn%u2019t. These see to remain ope to interpretation.

So in order for me to offer suggestions on how to improve it, I would need to know exactly the things that I don%u2019t know about it and then offer suggestion how to clarify them. In short, I would need to hear your explanation. Otherwise I would be taking stabs in the dark. As I said, I think it is perfect as it is ad truly wish I could write in that way. So my evaluation is a sincere one.

What do these things signify?

A mouth welded shut by whom?

1. A congenital condition?
3. A psychological trauma causing muteness?
4. An actual disfiguration inflicted by a sadist?
5. A social situation that makes him or her feel forced to be quiet or voiceless?

Birds in the hair

1. Why should he or she mind birds in a tree if that is a tree talking?
2. Is the expression %u201C...in my hair%u201D indicating that the birds annoy the tree?

Bikers?

How exactly are these bikers relevant to the poem%u2019s theme or to the happiness of the protagonists?

How exactly are they carefully considered and then dismissed as inconsequential?

Why are they riding black bikes in a dangerous way?
Are they doing it for thrills or to intimidate?

What exactly caused the desolation of the valley?
Is it a symbol of the emptiness of life?

What does it mean for mountains to be perceived as similar to torn paper?
Wouldn%u2019t crumpled paper be a better comparison?
What function does that part have in the poem?
What do the mountains symbolize, challenges unachieved obstacles unsurmounted?

Why is the sun described as being made of glass?
In what capacity is he accompanying her during the night?
How does one sit square?

Is the reference to taking away his own breath a reference to attempted suicide?
How is telling him that he is perceived as small and the speaker feeling big an effort to help?
It seems more like a malicious gloating.
Did the writer mean it to come across in that way?

Again why compare the speaker to a tree?



Rook says...


Hmm! Thank you for the thoughtful reply and the questions! I see I read your original review a little differently than you'd intended. Guess that's what I get for reading too quickly haha!

But these questions are very thought-provoking. Thank you for them and for your review! :)



User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 17265
Reviews: 107

Donate
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:35 pm
View Likes
Alpha says...



fortis! Hey hey!

Been a while since I reviewed anything, honestly this is just my interpretation.

On second reading (and because I clicked on this because it's written by you, and totally ignored the title), I realized that this is written in the perspective of the tree. The lines are lovely, dreamlike. I found the line "I was full to the roots with light." delightfully clever.


The opening verse, "We sat.", made me think of Treebeard from Lord of the Rings. Moving but old. But the 'you' in the poem still evades me! I'll quote bits of it with my thought process.

You were there to lob rocks at the water

I thought initially that this is a boy, skipping rocks at a pond. Or maybe a wind!

but in the end, you just sat on a curb somewhere.

A boy again?

You told me your mouth was welded shut
or made of brick and mortar.

Okay so not a boy. Hmm. Brick and mortar makes me think of a mountain, but I'm not sure how that fits with the previous verses. Maybe gravel from the mountain, but how did it end up there?

I'd love to know the thought process behind this! (And also who the 'you' is, because I'm so bad at riddles.)




Rook says...


You had it right at first. Just a boy. his mouth is welded shut because he has something he wants to say but can't, knowhatimean? :)



Alpha says...


Awwww okay! Thank you xx



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 45

Donate
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:28 pm
Lives4Christ24 says...



I don't know how to interpret it.
I do like your not completely free verse style in writing.
I think that next time you should make your poetry easier to interpret.
I can see that you have been writing for a while though.
I am following you and hope to see more of your work.





We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.
— Ernest Hemingway