z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

​On Breezy Days When the Veil Seems Thinner

by Rook


Your body is full of birds
and they are all flying north.
It is summertime in the valley
of your mouth and I hear
the gurgle of clear water
and birdsong. It is sweet.
Their feathers scrape your ribs,
how does it feel?
Is it like the rain falling on your chest
as you lie bare in August fields?
You are dead, but you are alive,
behind a veil like a patient bride.
Is that your face reflected
in the waterfall or is it mine?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 109
Reviews: 37

Donate
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:52 am
View Likes
YellowSweater wrote a review...



This is stunning. Absolutely stunning. That first line took my breath away.

I think one of the best things about poetry is how it can my physical things feel unstable ("your body is full of birds"), metaphysical things feel stable ("behind a veil like a patient bride). This poem does both, and it does both beautifully.

The imagery is poignant yet sparse enough that it doesn't feel overwhelming. It's also easy to grasp, yet that doesn't reduce its complexity.

Also I adore how you used rhyme inconsistently to highlight connections between words, brilliant. Have you read John Logan by any chance? He manipulates the conventions of English poetry in a similar way.

Once again, this is exquisitely done. I can't wait to read more of your work! - YellowSweater.




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144125
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:59 am
alliyah says...



Just stopping by to say I think this is such a neat visual poem! The imagery is awesome and the title sweeps you right into the piece.




User avatar
970 Reviews


Points: 108
Reviews: 970

Donate
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:06 pm
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Ooh. It’s very romantic. The poem speaks of someone who may have died, but they aren’t yet dead. They are merely waiting to be swept away by the autumn wind, carried into eternal bliss, with not a single worry in sight. This poem shows that death isn’t really the end.

I have a question, though. Are the lowercase letters intentional in the poem?

That is all. Overall, I’d say that this was a lovely poem. I wish you an amazing day/night.




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 351
Reviews: 60

Donate
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:34 am
View Likes
Sunflowerdemon3712 wrote a review...



Sunflower here for a quick review!

I quite enjoyed this poem and I like how (in my opinion) it can be taken in different ways. The only problem I have with the poem is the structure and punctuation it just feels a little bit strange if you ask me. The way sentences are aligned and put into the poem, it just tends to make it feel a little clunky in some places while feeling dragged out in others. This does interrupt the flow a bit, for me.
Other than that though the poem is very nice, simple and an easy read (which I appreciate) I take the poem as meaning feeling separated from oneself which is something that I feel like a lot of people can relate to especially in this modern day when most people feel like they need to act like someone else. I think the line that hit me in the gut the most had to be:

"Is that your face reflected in the waterfall or is it mine?"

As if the person feels detached from a part of themselves, which I can relate to on a certain level. I'm not sure if you were going for a different message or if you were going for one at all. But this is the message that I really picked up on and I quite enjoyed it! I liked the wording you use and when I was reading it I found it to be overwhelmingly green in all the best ways.

That's all I really have to say for now. I hope you have a fantastic day/night! Bye!




Rook says...


Can you give me an example where the punctuation or structure feel strange?
Thanks!




Do. Or do not. There is no try.
— Yoda