The Rainbow Connection

by Rei

A/N: Not exactly a fantasy story, but it does touch on fantasy themes.

"And some day we'll find it, the Rainbow Connection. The Lovers, the Dreamers, and me," I sing as I sit in the park. It's getting late. Mom will probably wondering where I am now. I never told her that I was going out after dinner was over, but I had some thinking to do. And that dratted song keeps running through my mind!

What is the Rainbow Connection? I can't stop asking myself that question. I love rainbows. Nothing more beautiful than a rainbow at the end of a big storm. But the Rainbow Connection has always confused me. And what did it have to do with lovers and dreamers? Am I a lover or a dreamer? Maybe I'm both. But I just don't get it.

The sky is getting dark down, and there's the slightest chill in the air. That's okay, though. It's always too hot until around seven in July. The only good thing about Summer is that I don't have to do any work. I can just walk through the park and sing my songs. Except that I can't stop thinking about this one song! I just can't figure out what the Rainbow Connection is. I know it's something important. Real rainbows don't actually touch anything. I always tell people that the pot of gold is meaningless if you can't enjoy the rainbow. What's all the money in the world worth if you hate what you have to do to get it?

"Some day we'll find it . . ." Find what? What do I have to find? I didn't even know I was looking for something. Did I lose it, or did I ever have it? Are rainbows really only illusions? I refuse to believe that. I mean, there's always Rainbow Bright. And the My Little Pony Rainbow of Light. Those rainbows do things. They are not illusions. But those are only cartoons. A shadow of the 1980s.

But wait. Does it really matter if they are just cartoons? Does it really matter if that those rainbows are things out of a person's imagination? Because you can't picture what a four-sided triangle would look like. But people can imagine Rainbow Bright and the Rainbow of Light. If you can imagine it, there's a chance that it can exsit.

As the sun sets, I walk to an area where hardly anyone ever goes. I've only ever seen two other people there. They were on a date. Luckily they didn't see me. I knew what they were about to do as soon as I spotted them. I don't know why, but I watched them. For some reason, while I was watching them, I started thinging of the Rainbow Connection, and I wondered if they were really connecting, or just having fun.

"Why are there so many songs about Rainbow and what's on the other side?" I sing, starting from the beginning of the song. One the other side of the rainbow is supposed to be a pot of gold. Like the gold rush so long ago. They only wanted the gold, so they probably didn't stop to take in the beauty of the mountains and the animals. Animals back then were good for two things: food, and selling the furs. I guess that tells you a lot about people's priorities. Too many people singing about the pot of gold and not the rainbow.

That's it, isn't it? That's what the Rainbow Connection is. People who love each other and don't need money to be happy. Believing in whatever kind of magic we want to believe in, knowing that dreams can come true. Those voices that you hear when you're half-asleep. Those are the voices that will tell me how to make my dreams come true. Those are the things and I must do.

"And some day I'll find it,

The Rainbow Connection

The Lovers, the Dreamers

And me."

Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:03 pm

Okay...well this is an interesting one. Not too often we start off with the narrator just as confused as the write happens to be about what's going on, but it does an extra air of uncertainty into the situation that I do like. I think it makes things much more interesting that way. I can't wait to see where you end up taking this because you do certainly have our attention now.

Hmm....well this is really diving into a very interesting realm here. Something about this rainbow seems to be hinting at a more literal explanation than I was imagining at first and it giving life to some very interesting thoughts there with the narrator exploring so much more than what you'd normally expect from a rainbow. There's also seems to be an interesting bit of philosophy in the undertone of things and I think that just adds on wonderfully to this piece here.

Hmm, that's an interesting, so this one seems to dive back into what I was initial expecting with a less literal situation with this person just sort of trying to hint at something while experience another thing in the real world. Either way this has proved to be very interesting so far, I can't wait to see how it will end.

Well that's a lovely ending. It almost seems like these thoughts are sort of coming full circle there with how you guide that towards this ending. There's something wonderful about the idea of rainbows being circled around so much until we come to an inevitable ending with just happiness and laughter.

Overall, this made for a really enjoyable piece here. Its so simple and it just leaves you with a brilliant smile on your face and I really enjoyed the read.

ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Heyyyyyy!! Forever here with a short review!!!

First of all, I would like to say that this was awesome.

To begin with, the character, that is, the narrator. The narrator seems to be a very imaginative person, a philosophical human being at the same time. And perhaps, also a nature lover? The person should be imaginative to see beyond what normal people see and also philosophical to see it in that way. Something which I wonder about is if the narrator is in love with someone or something. That can also be a reason behind them liking and adoring the rainbow.

Now, to the plot. There is not much plot except the wondering and wandering. I really love the themes of the story: love, self-love, knowledge beyond measure, imagination, restorative power of nature. I really like how they chose the park for thinking and the dating was a good detail over there. The atmosphere was very peaceful which went quite well with the state of their mind. Choosing the rainbow for portraying her emotions was a good step. Music too has a role over here. The music was the first thing that made them think about it.

All in all, the story has a lot of themes and though minutely, they are quite well portrayed. But I don't think it really touched fantasy things. I couldn't finf any fantasy. think it over.

keep writing!

~Forever

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am
Chimaera070612 wrote a review...

I enjoyed the poetic devices that you employed in your writing. You have a vivid sense of poetic language. The self analytical view of the story is easy to pace with and fun to enjoy. The message you've written in The Rainbow Connection is clear and well presented. There's much to enjoy and to cut the flattery, I didn't notice any error in your grammar or spelling as I read the story. To give you something to work with, I can say that perhaps you used excessive repitition but that can also be something you purposely used to show the significance of the lyrics.

- I hope I was of help.

deleted6 says...

That is so lovely almost enough make u cry with joy it truely is a great paragraph =D>

Little Dreamer says...

This is really good...hope to hear more

Rei says...

Meh. Maybe it is hokey, but it really means a lot to me. I think I might have been asking myself those questions when I wrote it.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:19 am
Nate wrote a review...

You need to spend more time editing your stories. But anyways...

This is really good! It's quite humorous and it's kind of like an essay written through the viewpoint of someone's mind. A bit hokey in the end, but I'm a sucker for hokey endings. Moreover, the rhetorical questioning comes off very well; sounds like you're forcing the reader to think, but you do it very subtly by making it appear as if you're just reading about someone else question their own thoughts.

Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:43 am
Elelel wrote a review...

That, and the typos. There are quite alot, and they're pretty obbvious. So you might want to go through and fix those up.

Lucki;y they didn't see me. I knew what they were about to do as soon as I spooted them, I don't know why, but I watched them as they removed their clothes.

Luckily and spotted are typos, and There should be a full stop after "I spotted them".
But I can't see anything wrong with it appart from that.
It's a great topic, and I thought you pulled it off well. :D

I love that song. *wanders off humming*

Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 am
Sam says...

Hey, this was pretty cool! Only, get rid of the exclamation points. This is a too sort of deep/serious piece for them. They don't fit. Other than that...well...not much!

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet