z

Young Writers Society



Illusion

by Rage


A green wreath of trees
Garlands the horizon.
Powerful panicked pleas
Have been answered!
The New World’s breeze
Ruffles beards tortured
By the wrath of the seas.
But now, eyes bright-blue
Shine with a mirage’s tease,
And glow with hunger
For finding the golden keys
Of El Dorado.
 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
663 Reviews


Points: 11295
Reviews: 663

Donate
Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:39 pm
View Likes
Messenger wrote a review...



This wasn't a long poem, but masterfully done. The words you used to describe then new world were perfect for catching the feeling you wanted. I see you made lines 2 and 4 to rhyme, yet no one of the other lines in the rest of the poem seem to rhyme. I'm not sure if you didn't want anymore to rhyme, or if you just didn't have the right words for the ending of each lines.
I would suggest going back and trying to find words that rhyme better. Besides that fact I believe it was one of the best poems I've ever read.
Keep it up!




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 261
Reviews: 23

Donate
Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:27 pm
View Likes
pensword wrote a review...



Really nice! I enjoy poems about true things that really happened, and this one was great. They rhyming scheme was very clever, and It really creates a portrait of this point in time. Your imagerywas great, and I especially like the line about the wrath of the seas. Nice job.




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 797
Reviews: 11

Donate
Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 pm
View Likes
gothgirl wrote a review...



This poem, while short, is extremely good. No, it is better than good, it is brilliant. Although the timing was not like other poems I have read, it still flowed in a way that made me hungry for more. The vocabulary was well chosen and crafted, and it made this poem reach a very high level of maturity. I have read "Other Men", but personally, this one was way better.
Keep writing,
Gothgirl




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 716
Reviews: 23

Donate
Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:29 pm
View Likes
Elizabeth1 wrote a review...



Hey! So I want to start off my review by saying you're a great writer. I love short poems because they say so little but have so much meaning. Your rhymes flowed, although sometimes rhymes seem so forced, however in your case you did a pretty good job making it flow. I think there could have been more emotion in the poem. I believe the first half of your poem was really strong with the strong imagery.




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:54 pm
View Likes
dark wrote a review...



Oh hey, you, are talented! :)
Hey Rage! (Great name!)
This poem is great. You know I love the short poems. They are so difficult to decipher. I love that a lot. Also what makes this poem even better is that non of the rhymes are forced rhymes! They all actually make sense when used together. Rhyming can be an element of surprize when you want to use it, but I think you got passed that and already had your rhymes in your head, and how you would use it. Keep up the great work!
~Dark




User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 893
Reviews: 69

Donate
Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:33 pm
View Likes
WillowCutz wrote a review...



Hey I'm here, what are your other two wishes?

First off I find that rhyming is a very distracting literary element. It makes the sound of the poem a little too Suess and that is a little hard on the old brain. Plus it's kind of a waste of good thought trying to rhyme.

Anywho, I think you could do better on this poem. The idea of a historical poem is awesome but I think you spent a little too much time trying to make the rhythm sound good that you forget to make the message as good. Like "ruffles beards tortured." What does that mean?

Always focus on the point and feeling of the poem. Literary elements are over-rated, when you find the right words use them, don't try to make them "Good poem phrases".




Rage says...


Hey, thanks for the comment. Much appreciated. The line you referred to--> "ruffled beards tortured" is not meant to be read in isolation. It's all run on-lines. Read it again, with the lines flowing into each other to form whole sentences, and see if the rhythm still doesn't work. Once again, thanks for a great review.



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 600
Reviews: 32

Donate
Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:20 pm
View Likes
Sandvich wrote a review...



Heya! I'm Sandvich, and I'm here to review.
I've always been fascinated by history, and I've always found colonialism and exploration especially fascinating. So, naturally, your poem enticed and interested me. This is a subject matter which doesn't seem to be explored in poems a lot, so kudos for picking such an interesting topic.
The poem itself is short and snappy. The first half of the poem does a fantastic job of creating an image of the horizon and the sailor's perception of it in the reader's head. I especially love the lines

A green wreath of trees/garlands the horizon
Fantastic use of imagery there.
The slightly irregular A/B/A/C rhyming scheme took me a while to get the hang of, but once I did, it really added to the rhythm of the poem. One thing I will say, though, is that some of the B/C lines, such as
Ruffles beards tortured
felt a little off to me. That's just me though, and I know literally nothing about poetry.
You seem to be a very talented poet and I look forward to reading more of your stuff. I'm just coming out of my school-induced shell of poetry hatred, and this fantastic piece has really sped up my process.
Keep writing!
Sandvich




Rage says...


I'll keep working on it. Glad to help you out of the "school-induced shell of poetry hatred." You must have had awful teachers, lol.



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 351
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:37 pm
View Likes
bluebird24 says...



Overall this poem is good. I feel like you could push it more though. The feelings of relief and subsequent let down could be so strongly expressed. Great job, keep writing





Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.
— Quentin Crisp