16+

Melodic Spirits - Chapter one: Hole in my soul

by RadiantShadow

Melodic Spirits

Hole In my soul

The music flows through my veins giving life to my soul as it runs under my skin giving me warmth. My heart thumps in sync with the distinct drum beats, the beautiful whine emanating from the cello's strings seem to wrap around my spine making me shiver with pleasure. This is my heaven, this is where I find my peace. I glanced to my right and I saw my dad in the same musical trance I was in. Our love of music is what helped us bond thus making our relationship so strong. It was part of our daily routine. Everyday after he came back from work we sit next to each other on the couch in front of the stereo and listen to music. There was no need for words, we just let the music fill the air and communicate for us.

When the album melodically came to an end, my dad said, "I remember when you were a baby I used to cradle you in my arms while listening to this album and you would fall asleep at the very last song. Now here we are sixteen years later and you're a grown man," he said, giving me a pat on the back while attempting to blink away the tears in his eyes. "Let's hope you get to do this when you are eighty," my mum said with a smile as she shuffled her way from the kitchen wearing a green apron with flour dusted all over her. "Yeah, and you'll have our kids running around in the background" my brother, Devin added teasingly. "Oh dad don't forget we need to go buy the photos tomorrow after work" he added with a dull tone.

He wasn't looking forward to seeing his graduation photos, he always says he looks horrible in pictures but in reality he looked pretty decent. I headed to my room and let them get into that age old discussion as I was too tired of hearing it. The truth is I have always been jealous of him, he got the friends, the looks, the brains, everything and what did I get? Nothing, just a scar covering my all too creepy violet eyes. I flopped face down on the bed as I waited for my laptop to start up and checked my phone. Zero messages on Skype or Facebook, not even a text. I tried to act as if it didn't matter to me that I didn't have much friends. All I wanted was to be like all other normal teenagers but no one ever tried to initiate a conversation with me and whenever I tried they ignored me or just walked away.

You don't need anyone but yourself Cole.

That is the lie I have been trying to feed myself day after day just so I can go through the weeks. My hands trembled with anger as I typed in my password. I loathe the tears that escape and dampen my cheeks. I quickly swiped away the evidence of my weakness as I plugged in my headphones and opened up a new blank document and poured my soul into words.

*****

As I got out of the car and looked upon the yellow limestone walls of my school, a heavy weight draped over my shoulder that made me feel sick. I trudged up the stairs to the foyer area and went to sit in my usual place, in the little corner under the stairs that tended to stay warm in even the coldest of days. The seconds ticked by slowly and the chilled fist that seemed to be lodged up in my chest grew menacing. I closed my eyes and thought of peaceful melodies to try to chase away the rising panic that threatened to overcome my senses.

"Don't be scared. It will fade, just breathe through your nose," said a sweet voice laced with concern. A small cold dampened hand patted mine shyly and I opened my eyes to see a pair of brown eyes looking straight at me. Alese. The beautiful, shy yet eccentric girl in my music class.

The longer I gazed into her calm eyes, the more relax I became. When I got my bearings back, I stayed silent, waiting for her to move away just like all the others do.

"There. I'm glad you're feeling better." She said as she moved her hand away from mine, to push back an errant gold curl that covered her eyes. It fell back into place and I couldn't help but laugh. It was the most cutest yet typical thing to happen.

"You should just put it all up into a ponytail, you look better without them anyway." I said with a chuckle, waiting for her to give me her signature shy smile.

"No, I look better with them covering my forehead!" she said with a laugh of her own, then her smile faded and sadness glazed over her features.

"What? Whats wrong?" I said, the panic starting to rise slightly again. I didn't mean to offend her and I most definitely didn't want to blow up my chance at making a friend. Alese sighed and broke eye contact for the first time.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't want to meet you this way. I was planning on talking to you earlier but I always chickened out and now... I just couldn't see you get hurt I want to help as much as I can" she said in a low voice. Her hands trembled as she talked and shifted her position. Her words confused me, what did she mean by me getting hurt?

"Look, you're going to think I'm crazy but I feel that something bad is going to happen to someone very close to you. I'm saying this because I've seen the look of fear that you had on your face and I know that fear. I have been through that before and I was so scared and lost." She said as she rushed through the words her hands trembling harder. When she looked back up at me I saw the clear tears dripping from her eyes. I was about to reach over and wipe her tears away and say everything was OK but my phone started vibrating in my front pocket.

A moment into the call and the room started to spun around as the news sunk in. I couldn't speak, I couldn't breathe. Alese was right. My dad is dead.

The tremors started at the center of my chest and moved along my arms and legs. My phone fell away from my grip as I lost control over my body and mind, I let the pain, the shock, the loss, shake my whole being. The deathly grip was back but this time it took over my heart. My vision went black and I could hear Alese's voice echo through my head, but it was too late. He is dead and with him a part of my soul.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 am
writerkitty wrote a review...

Wow, this is a really beautiful chapter. And I got deeply attached to this story as soon as I read the first paragraph.
You started this story very nicely. Your descriptions are amazing and it really helped me to picture the incident in my mind. I'm really glad that I started reading this amazing story. You've written it in such a calm yet interesting way that it makes me want to read more right away.
You describe your character's emotions pretty well, and I still struggle to do that. :D I think you got talent. Everything is perfectly described and I got the chance to know the narrator pretty well.

Since this is the first chapter, it's really too early to talk about each character specifically, but I think I'll just tell you what I think about them so far.

Cole: Hmm, he really needs friends, but he feels as if the world is ignoring him. And he has a really amazing bond with his father. :D You pictured that out pretty well. Like every teenager, he's hoping to have many relationships with many people, but I think he's still struggling to accomplish that.

Alese: She's a pretty nice girl! I mean everyone's ignoring Cole, but she went up to him and spoke to him kindly. And I was surprised to see how she predicted that Cole's going to lose someone precious to him, and at that moment it really happened.
I think she'll play a major role in the next chapter...or maybe not! Who knows? I can't wait to find out!

Cole's family members seem pretty nice. Especially his dad. I can't imagine how Cole would feel after his sudden death. I think you'll tell us about that in the next chapter. I really feel sorry for Cole, the only person he has such an attachment died all of a sudden.

Anyway, you created an amazing chapter and I'm really excited to read the next one.
Never stop writing and have an amazing day!!!
writerkitty.

Thank you so much! yes all is true and yes Alese will play a major role in the whole story too. Ill try to release chapter too soon !

Xorsudite wrote a review...

You have a gift for conveying emotion, I'll give you that. However, there are some problems in this excerpt. See mine #800080 ">notes and #0000FF ">edits below.

#FF0000 ">The music flows through my veins giving life to my soul as it runs under my skin giving me warmth. My heart thumps in sync with the distinct drum beats, the beautiful whine emanating from the cello's strings seem to wrap around my spine making me shiver with pleasure. #800080 ">(Mismatched tense. Either change this to past tense, or the rest of the story into present tense)

This is my heaven, this is where I find my peace. #800080 ">(Personally, I thought this would be more powerful by itself; as a separate paragraph)

#800080 ">(Since the topic has changed, I think this part deserves its own paragraph)
I glanced to my right and I saw my dad in the same musical trance I was in. Our love of music is #0000FF ">was #800080 ">(again, mismatched tense) what helped us #0000FF ">craft our strong bond thus making our relationship so strong #800080 ">(personally, I found this a bit too wordy). It was part of our daily routine. Everyday after he came back #0000FF ">home from work#0000FF ">, we #0000FF ">would sit next to each other on the couch in front of the stereo and listen to music #800080 ">(a little too plain, in mine opinion)#0000FF ">, jamming to our hearts' content. There was no need for words; we just let the music fill the air and communicate for us.

When the album melodically came to an end, my dad said, "I remember when you were a baby. I used to cradle you in my arms while listening to this album and you would fall asleep at the very last song. Now here we are sixteen years later and you're a grown man," he said, giving me a pat on the back while attempting to blink away the tears in his eyes.

#800080 ">(When switching speakers, start a new paragraph. Less confusing that way)
"Let's hope you get to do this when you are eighty," my mum said with a smile as she shuffled her way from the kitchen wearing a green apron with flour dusted all over her #0000FF ">dusted with flour.

"Yeah, and you'll have our kids running around in the background#0000FF ">," my brother, Devin#0000FF ">, added teasingly. "Oh#0000FF ">, dad#0000FF ">. Don't forget we need to go buy the photos tomorrow after work#0000FF ">," he added with a dull tone.

He #0000FF ">Devin wasn't looking forward to seeing his graduation photos#0000FF ">. He always says #0000FF ">said he looks #0000FF ">looked horrible in pictures, but in reality he looked pretty decent. I headed to my room and let them get into that age#0000FF ">-old discussion as I was too tired of hearing it #0000FF ">I was so tired of hearing. The truth is I have always been jealous of him#0000FF ">. He got the friends, the looks, the brains#0000FF ">--everything#0000FF ">! And what did I get? Nothing, just #0000FF ">but a scar covering my all too creepy violet eyes. I flopped face down on the bed as I waited for my laptop to start up and checked my phone. Zero messages on Skype or Facebook, not even a text. I tried to act as if it didn't matter to me that I didn't have much friends. All I wanted was to be like all other normal teenagers but no one ever tried to initiate a conversation with me and whenever I tried they ignored me or just walked away.

You don't need anyone but yourself, Cole. #800080 ">(Inner thoughts stand out more when italicised)

That is the lie I have been trying to feed myself day after day just so I can go through the weeks. My hands trembled with anger as I typed in my password. I loathe#0000FF ">d the tears that escape#0000FF ">d and dampen#0000FF ">ed my cheeks. I quickly swiped away the evidence of my weakness as I plugged in my headphones and opened up a new blank document and poured my soul into words.

*****

As I got out of the #0000FF ">my car and looked upon the yellow limestone walls of my school, a heavy weight draped over my shoulder that made me feel sick #0000FF ">I felt a rush of nausea as a heavy weight creeped over my shoulders. I trudged up the stairs to the foyer area and went to sit in my usual place, in the little corner under the stairs that tended to stay warm in even the coldest of days. The seconds ticked by slowly and the chilled #0000FF ">chill fist that seemed to be lodged up in my chest #800080 ">(less wordy this way, and rolls off the tongue better) grew menacing. I closed my eyes and thought of peaceful melodies to try to chase away the rising panic that threatened to overcome my senses.

"Don't be scared. It will fade, just breathe through your nose," said a sweet voice laced with concern. A small cold dampened hand patted mine shyly and I opened my eyes to see a pair of brown eyes looking straight at me. Alese. The beautiful, shy yet #0000FF ">yet shy and eccentric girl in my music class.

The longer I gazed into her calm eyes, the more #FF0000 ">relax I became. When I got my bearings back, I stayed silent, waiting for her to move away just like all the others do.

"There. I'm glad you're feeling better." She said as she moved her hand away from mine#FF0000 ">, #800080 ">(no comma needed) to push back #0000FF ">brush an errant gold curl that covered #0000FF ">from her eyes. It fell back into place and I couldn't help but laugh. It was the most #800080 ">(redundant) cutest, yet typical thing to happen.

"What? Whats wrong?" I said, the panic starting to rise slightly again #0000FF ">panic rising in me once more. I didn't mean to offend her and I most definitely didn't want to blow up my chance at making a friend. Alese sighed and broke eye contact for the first time.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't want to meet you this way. I was planning on talking to you earlier but I always chickened out and now... I just couldn't see you get hurt I want to help as much as I can," she said in a low voice. Her hands trembled as she talked and shifted her position. Her words confused me#0000FF ">. What did she mean by me getting hurt?

"Look, you're going to think I'm crazy but I feel that something bad is going to happen to someone very close to you. I'm saying this because I've seen the look of fear that you had on your face and I know that fear. I have been through that before and I was so scared and lost." She said as she rushed through the words#0000FF ">, her hands trembling harder #0000FF ">violently. When she looked back up at me I saw the clear tears dripping from her eyes. I was about to reach over and wipe her tears away and say everything was OK#0000FF ">, but my phone started vibrating in my front pocket.

A moment into the call and the room started to #FF0000 ">spun around as the news sunk in. I couldn't speak, I couldn't breathe. Alese was right. My dad is #0000FF ">was dead.

The tremors started at the center of my chest and moved #0000FF ">spread along my arms and legs. My phone fell away #0000FF ">slipped from my grip as I lost control over my body and mind, I let the pain, the shock, the loss, shake my whole being #800080 ">(redundant and wordy). The deathly grip was back but this time it took over my heart. My vision went black and I could hear Alese's voice echo through my head, but it was too late. He #0000FF ">My dad is #0000FF ">was dead, and with him a part of my soul.

Overall a well-written piece, errors aside. With Cole's father gone, naturally I can see Cole and Devin growing closer. Obviously, Cole and Alese will likely become romantically involved sooner or later.

As you expand upon this story, I would recommend adding more characters to spice things up. Since you seem to be good at creating complex characters, I think this would be an excellent idea.

Keep writing.

wow thank you so much, I really appreciate all the comments and when I get the time I will re arrange it :)

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:53 pm
Lavvie wrote a review...

Hi RadiantShadow! Happy weekend! :)

The title of this was probably the initial thing to draw me in to this piece and I was pleasantly surprised. Music is always a beautiful thing to weave into a storyline because there is so much possibility for symbolism, characterization, plot development - the whole nine yards. As music is ever-involving and has so many tiny details, it is the perfect thing to attach to a protagonist as you map out their progress throughout the novel.

There were a few major issues that need some working on and, once revised, will really tidy up the story's edges. One thing was the dialogue. You're rather inconsistent with its punctuation and when there is a conversation between people, generally each new speaker starts a new paragraph, even if the topic of discussion is the same. It makes things clearer and breaks up the story nice and evenly. If you're still unsure how to format and punctuate dialogue properly, this is a good article on dialogue punctuation and formatting.

On the subject of punctuation, be mindful of comma splices in your writing. A comma splice is when two independent clauses (two sentences) are joined by a comma. This is incorrect. The comma should be replaced by either a period, comma splice, or conjunction. If you are still unsure about how to locate a comma splice and how to fix them, this is a good, informative article.

I found that there was a lot that was going on this chapter, especially considering that everything is entirely brand new to the reader. First, you have the chapter starting out with music, which gave me the impression that the first, introductory chapter would somehow enlighten the reader on the importance of music to our protagonist. However, that was not the case because after one of two paragraphs, that subject was over. Next, we're discussing a grumpy brother who thinks he is unattractive but has lots of friends and then you introduce the friendless problem Cole is facing. Next, we have a potential love interest by the name of Alese and Cole gets all nervous around her. If that were not enough, then we discover that Cole's father has suddenly died. I'm not saying that you shouldn't have all of this in your novel, but you could also introduce the things more gradually. After all, you will have many more chapters to develop your story. ;) You can even lightly touch on Cole's social ineptitude if you want, but don't give it more attention than it deserves. From the title and the fact that you have introduced the chapter through music, something you then linked to the father, I can easily deduce that the focal point of your story lines in music and the death of Cole's father. In this chapter, I strongly suggest that you instead expand on the idea of music/Cole's dad instead of vaguely introducing four to five things all at once.

In fact, expanding on the idea of music and Cole's father is something I encourage you to really focus on. Because the father dies in this chapter but we've only just begun reading, you need to somehow establish the deep emotional connection between Cole and his father. Right now, there's not enough for the reader to truly empathize and see the father's death as something that is going to deeply affect Cole's life. Inevitably, a death of a close relative takes its toll, but from my understand Cole is extraordinarily close with his father because of their common love for music. You need to stress this more in this chapter so that the reader will be able to understand Cole's state of mind and motivations throughout the rest of the novels.

I also have a few nitpicks:

The music flows through my veins giving life to my soul as it runs under my skin giving me warmth.

This is your opening line and it is quite weak right now because twice you write "giving me [something]". Furthermore, if you read this sentence properly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The music running through his veins makes his feel alive? Okay, that works, but if you go on, you've actually written that then this makes his soul run under his skin making him feel warm? That's a little strange. I would stick to the music part and cut it off at "soul". With a period.

the beautiful whine

Be wary of word choice because each word possess its own unique connotation. A "whine" is mostly interpreted with a negative connotation in mind, so it might be difficult to imagine a beautiful one. Something to keep in mind ;)

The longer I gazed into her calm eyes, the more relax I became.

relaxed

It was the most cutest yet typical thing to happen.

"Most cutest" is incorrect because "cutest" is already the superlative. Consider: "It was the cutest yet most typical thing to happen."

The room started to spun around as the news sunk in.

spin, not spun

My dad is dead.

Oops, tense change! You've been writing in past tense, so make sure you stay consistent throughout. This is not the only instance where you accidentally switch to present tense. Keep to the past tense if that's what you have decided on.

Overall, this has so much potential and I really like the idea that you have laid out. In order for the delivery to be more successful, however, just remember to draw out the ideas individually. In this chapter, particularly focus on developing the relationship between Cole and his dad so that you set the stage for the rest of novel. Otherwise, let me know if you post more chapters so I can review those as well!

Thanks for the nice read!

Best,
Lav

Hi thanks for the review! I agree with you on all things. This was just a first draft so I'm going to redo it as a whole before I go on to chapter two. Also thanks a lot for the links. They really help!

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:10 pm
Catalyst wrote a review...

Hey there, Catalyst here for a quick review!

This is a pretty fantastic piece, immediately hooking me in with the description of music.
I quite like the character you've described. We immediately get an insight into his passion and his flaws, and the way he copes with loneliness is something really relate-able and realistic. Now, while I myself tend to describe scenes far too in depth, I do think you should do a small amount of description, despite this clearly being a character-driven piece. It's just nice to have a little basic framework for your reader to fill the gaps around.
Overall, the only real nitpick I have is that it seems a little rushed. Feel free to see if lengthening your chapters a bit makes them higher quality, taking time to describe. If it doesn't, then I'd probably just chalk it up me being used to 1000 page fantasy epics :D

I'll be watching for the next Chapter, keep up the great work!

Thanks for the review! Actually yes I need to go over this because I do feel I need to add more to it but I have a head ache so I decided to do a simple draft first and get some feedback. :D I'll be writing the second piece soon and thanks again so much :)

Catalyst says...

No problem!
If you have a few minutes to spare, I'd really appreciate it if you checked out my latest Chapter- The Endless Tapestry Part 1.

Will do :)

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf