z

Young Writers Society



Close My Eyes

by Rachel32


Close the door, click!

Take a breath.

Lay on bed, creak!

Take a breath.

Close my eyes and see,

The girl I was meant to be.

A girl with a mother,

And a dog all her own.

A girl who is safe,

And who keeps her heart warm.

A girl with some friends,

And no nightmares to tell.

A girl who is happy,

And who keeps her bright smile.

A car door, slam!

Take a breath.

Angry voices, shout!

Take a breath.

My home is in my head,

I live out here, instead.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
24 Reviews


Points: 151
Reviews: 24

Donate
Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 pm
LucytheBrave wrote a review...



This is beautiful. I love the way you maintained a rhythm without rhyme or any particular pattern. Every poem has a way of flowing, and yours is particularly interesting. I love how simple it is, how concise. You proved with this that you do not need a lot of words for a poem to be powerful.

I don't know whether this was intentional or not, but you end many phrases using onomatopoeia at the end of each line, but only in the beginning and end of the poem. I guess it could be a technique to represent the start and finish of the poem, but it's too short to be a circular-type poem. Other than that however, it is truly a gift. Thank you for writing this!

Write on!
~Lucy




User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 200

Donate
Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:42 pm
kman134 wrote a review...



Hi. This is kman134. I'm here to review your work.

From reading this, it gives off a sense of psychological thriller.

"A car door, slam!

Take a breath.

Angry voices, shout!

Take a breath.

My home is in my head,

I live out here, instead."

the narrator is scared and retreats to the only sanctuary she knows--her head. she is either in an abusive relationship or has an abusive parent. either way, it just shows the freudian defense-mechanism of escapism where people who don't want to deal with the horrors, or the mundaneness, of reality escape to their own fantasy world.

the emotional tone of fear and anger was pretty well-written and ingenious. being a song, it reminded me of a Papa Roach or Avenge Sevenfold.

Anyways, this is pretty good. i hope you write more.




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 121
Reviews: 5

Donate
Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:54 am
Rachel32 says...



A NOTE: Published on my phone, so it's not spaced like I want it to be.





"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites