Paradise To Be Gained

by OS2000

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:43 pm
Virgil wrote a review...

Hi there OS2000! This is Kays here dropping in for another review as requested. I see that this poem is shorter which is probably easier to digest as well. I'm also a little more awake while writing this one so without further ado, FULL STEAM AHEAD.

Okay, let's start with a question. This is based off of the epic poem Paradise Lost, yes? I recognize the first quote but I haven't personally read the piece so forewarning that I'm not going to be able to compare or make a connection to the work that this is inspired by. I can see that this poem is already doing better off aesthetically than the last and contains a flow that's a bit easier to work with. The vocabulary is again a strong point of the piece and while word choice can bring a lot to a poem this edges on using advanced words for the sake of being advanced. Concrete imagery along with strong verbs and nouns instead of adjectives are both aspects that can be enhanced here for a better set-up for the atmosphere and whatnot. Adjectives can get tiring and repetitive and generally there are a couple in a row near the end that can be swapped out or substituted and played around with.

We often wonder how we are to be,

Repetition holds us in the mundane,

Locks us in a vicious cycle, keeps us.

I read the first three lines aloud to get a taste for the flow. With that I'm going to suggest to put a period after 'cycle'. The other part I wanted to mention is the two words that come after--they aren't necessary needed? They're worded a little awkwardly at the very least.

Another reason why I get the notion that you're actively attempting to be fancy is the wording which is a little more traditional than usual. I don't care much for the whole playing around with diction because that's not what I came to read. This even gets a little annoying later on in the poem because it gets to the point where it's distracting. You have a tendency to use a lot of enjambment and punctuation--usually I find poems the other way around with end-stops at the end of each poetic line but this is a problem as well if you're going to be using periods.

Going back to the wording, lines eight and nine are the worst culprits of this in the piece. There doesn't need to be a comma after 'it' and I can only assume that 'thronged in distant seraphim' is talking about the highest angels in the hierarchy in a sacred text filled in this paradise from afar. There is a scene to describe here hut there isn't a lot of describing done. What does the paradise look like? What do the seraphim look like? Can you compare them to anything? Can you give us more detail?

Figurative language doesn't seem to be a common device in your poetry and I'm going to suggest to use more or at least play around with this. Figurative language is metaphors and similes or personification and symbolism. These are all different ways that make channeling imagery into a poem easier and not only that, the reader can better connect or visualize with these. If the audience knows what a herd of sheep is like then they'd probably be able to imagine the seraphim if you told them that they were all together in one place like a herd of sheep. That's just an example because I can't actually visualize what they're supposed to look like in the distance!

Overall this isn't to say that I don't enjoy your poetry, because I do. I enjoyed this poem but I do believe that there's a lot of potential that's yet to be unlocked. The theme is particularly strong in this piece though, I must say. Keep experimenting and playing around with this! If it seems I went a little picky it's because I want to see your poetry improve and be even stronger because you have the capability to do that with practice. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

OS2000 says...

Thank you very much. I agree imagery in general is something I flinch away from; I always feel like I'm being cheesy. Despite this, of course it's an important element of poetry that I will attempt to approach in more depth in future.

You were right in saying that the quote was from Paradise Lost. Much of my language in this did indeed feel unnatural, but (if I may excuse myself from sounding pretentious in this) this is because much of the poem alludes to lines within Paradise Lost, or at least attempts to fit the archaic language he uses.

I really do appreciate you being "picky", as I understand there is no point in writing poetry that only the writer can appreciate - that would mean that a writer cannot use language effectively. So I thank you for pointing this out.

Cheers!

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:31 am

Hi there! I'm here to review your poem as requested -- I'm sorry it took me a while to make a review! First off, I have to say that I like your poetic style! I read through your other three poems and I like a lot of the elements you have in them. They're polished and intresting.

So onto the review!

I like the John Milton excerpt you start out with, it sets up the tone really well and is an intriguing thought on its own.

Theme and Formatting
I'm not sure if not having stanza breaks was intentional or not, but for this poem I think it actually worked because it mimicked the theme of everything blurring together into one existence. I think the theme is what I'm having most issues with in this poem. I've read it through a couple times, and I still feel like I'm missing something in the middle section of the poem. I'll go through the stanzas and give my interpretations.

"stanza 1" (everything before the first indent). Repetition takes away meaning in our lives. It separates us from our identity -- like we're hovering above reality.

stanza 2 : We see freedom away from the repetition but we can't quite reach it.

stanza 3 : Maybe an allusion to Satan and the garden of eden? We are condemned to toil and can't quite get freedom? This is where I'm confused about what's happening -- who is the oracle?

stanza 4 : The last line seems like another Garden of Eden reference -- maybe that we could become gods or angels if we opened our minds and gained our freedom.

So I like that there's a story here, there's clearly some narrative woven throughout this, and I like the Garden of Eden references too. Overall, it even reminds me a bit of Plato's Cave. But I'm not quite seeing the leap from the meanings in the 1st and 2nd stanza to the 3rd stanza. First repetition was the villain or conflict of the story, then maybe a loss of freedom, but in the 3rd one I'm just lost a bit on the connections. I think you probably have a clear story and theme you want coming through, but I think its still a little bit opaque.

Word Choice & Other Thoughts
I think the strongest aspect of this poem is its consistency. It looks like this is all in iambic pentameter.. That shows a lot of patience and thoughtfulness put into this piece on your part. Even with the structure the poem's flow sounded pretty natural throughout and not forced at all.

The word choice was also really spot on through out. Showing really elevated, but still understandable language. One place that I thought was off was the phrase "bad angels" in the first section. "Bad" just didn't really seem like a fitting adjective for what was being said.

Another spot that could use improvement was in stanza 2 you use the phrase "above us" twice and seems a bit repetitive.

Overall Impressions
Overall, I didn't see a lot to critique. Your poem was intriguing and elegant. This was very honestly a really strong poem and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future. Please let me know if you have any comments or questions about my review!

Best,
~alliyah

OS2000 says...

Thank you for the review! I really enjoyed your view on things. I hadn't noticed the repetition of above us before and I shall definitely edit that. "So numberless were those bad Angels seen
Hovering on wing under the Cope of Hell" was the original Milton quote I attempted to allude to and invert, and so the use of "bad" had to stay in order to keep the quote recognisable. I'm really glad that stanzas were obvious enough, as I was trying to mirror Milton's blank verse. The oracle is humanity. Small and insignificant, as represented by the lowercase I, but baying to escape its self-made societal chains. "Condemned to hiss and crawl on our fronts in infernal darkness is another allusion to Milton, centred around Satan's eternal punishment in Hell. I wanted to draw the connection between Satan and his fight for freedom and humanity's fight for freedom (from itself). The desired conclusion is physically impossible, but in the mind we walk as equals in Eden.

Do you think I should maintain this cryptic, allusion-focused style, or should I make my message clearer in future?

alliyah says...

Can you maybe capitalize "Angels" to allude to that quote a bit more? I would even maybe suggest putting somewhere that the quote is from Milton so that people unfamiliar might take the time to look up the quote and get the full context.
I did like the lowercase letters, but the oracle being humanity is still a little bit of a big leap for me. I love the allusions to the whole Garden of Eden and I think you should definitely maintain the allusion emphasis with allusions. But the overall message could be a little less cryptic. Great job again -- I think that this poem is already at a pretty high level in my opinion.

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon