Home » Literary works » Short Story » Action / Adventure

Vampires Will Never Hurt You

by NovaRed

*Based off the song Vampires Will Never Hurt You by My Chemical Romance. The final line is from the song Helena, also by My Chemical Romance. I do not own the songs in any way. *

I had to run. 'Don't stop, keep running.' I remembered the words he told me. 'Never look back.' That was my mistake, I looked back, and I was tackled.

"You were told not to look back, girl! Don't you know to listen to your little friend?" The thing that tackled me spoke.

Tears filled my eyes, "I can't listen to him when he's dead!" I looked away from the monster.

"Stupid girl. You should've heeded his warning!" I looked at the monster, and what I saw surprised me.

I saw a man, but he was different. He smiled at me, and I noticed something... Unusual. He had fangs, and they were covered in blood. "Girly, you're not gonna like the life ahead of you." He leaned down to my neck.

"Get off me! What did I do to you?!" I punched his chest but he didn't move. His eyes widened.

He collapsed, his heavy body on mine. I pushed him off, and stood. There was another guy, a stake in his hands. A thought came into my head, 'And if they get me and the sun goes down.' He smiled, showing something I didn't think someone like him would have, fangs. "Y-you have fangs too..." I whispered, backing away slowly.

"Don't worry, I'm not a rogue vampire... Vampires will never hurt you with me around." He took a step forward, and I realized who he was. 'And if they get me take this spike to my heart and...' I ran into his arms, "Damon!" I yelled happily.

"Jay! I'm sorry he ever tried to hurt you.." He hugged me tightly.

"I'm fine, Damon... Don't you dare worry about me..." I mumbled softly to Damon. That's when it got dark. 'And if they get me and the sun goes down.'

"Jay! Run!" I heard Damon yell. I shook my head and stayed put.

I felt a breath on my neck, and all the sudden I was being held down. I heard a yell, "And if they get me take this spike and You put the spike in my heart!" It started to get a bit lighter, at least to the point where I could see ahead of me. Damon was fighting, hard, might I add, to save me... 'And if the sun comes up will it tear the skin right off our bones.'

I started to struggle against the hold I was in. What happened next shocked me. The sun was rising little by little, but Damon wasn't burning, like the others started to. Suddenly there was a scream of pain, Damon had been bit. "Jay! Run! Please!" He yelled. 'And then as razor sharp white teeth rip out our necks I saw you there.'

"No Damon! I won't leave you again!" I screamed.

Damon fell, and the other vampires withered away. Damon cried in agony, "Someone get me to the doctor, someone get me to a church!" he slammed his hands on the ground.

All was silent then. Damon stopped moving, nature stopped it's sounds. It was an eerie silence, something you would hear in a horror movie. 'And you must keep your soul like a secret in your throat..' Damon stood. He was hunched over, and it truly scared me. "Damon..? Are you okay..?" I asked, my voice wavering. I heard a voice that sounded like Damon's had, 'And if they come and get me, What if you put the spike in my heart.' Damon stood a bit straighter, and started laughing like a maniac.

'And if they get me and the sun goes down, And if they get me take this spike and...' He stood even straighter, then bent back in laughter, "Come on! Can you take this spike? Will it fill our hearts with thoughts of endless Night time sky?" The words echoed in my head, as I stood expressionless. 'Can you take this spike? Will it wash away this jet black feeling?'

'And now the nightclub sets the stage for this they come in pairs she said...' I was shaking in fear now, tears pricking my eyes.

'We'll shoot back holy water like cheap whiskey they're always there' I felt hot tears on my cheeks, pouring from my eyes.

Damon yelled out, "Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse!" He sounded a bit pleading, as if he was trying to beg someone to do this task.

My whole body shivered, as if a cold aura was around me, 'And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church.' My hands were shaking, or more like I was shaking.

'We're hanging out with corpses, and driving in this hearse...' I clenched my fists tightly, trying to prepare myself for whatever would happen.

I thought I heard Damon whisper something, something like, "And someone save my soul tonight, please save my soul...' If this is the case, I truly wanted to help him, more than before.

Damon turned around, sill laughing his horrifying laugh. "Let's go! Come on!" He screeched. I started to back away, my mind swirling with thoughts, 'And as these days watch over time, and as these days watch over time, And as these days watch over us tonight...'

As if he heard my thoughts, Damon spoke, "And as these days watch over time, and as these days watch over time, And as these days watch over us tonight.." he started to walk forward.

I spoke up, "I'll never let them, I'll never let them, I'll never let them hurt you not tonight, I'll never let them, I can't forget them, I'll never let them hurt you, I promise..." he grinned as he lurched forward.

'Struck down, before our prime....' "Damon, I know you can hear me! Please, calm down... Let me help you..." I stuck my hand out, hoping the real him would take it.

He laughed, and I saw his gleaming fangs. They were longer then before, and that really scared me, "Before, you got off the floor... You're going to die, here and now, Jay..." His voice was deeper then it was before.

His eyes were a fiery red, a change from his normal soft hazel color. His face had paled more, and he seemed taller. "Can you stake my heart?" He asked softly, the real him trying to talk, "Can you stake my heart?" He asked again.

He raised his voice now, "Can you stake my heart?" His normal voice was getting weaker, "Can you stake my heart?! Jay, please.." He fell down on his hands and knees. He was trying to fight it. 'And these thoughts of endless night bring us back into the light and this venom from my heart..'

His voice, his pleading voice, echoed in my head, 'Can you stake my heart? Can you stake my heart?'

Damon grabbed his head, "And these thoughts of endless night, bring us back into the light, kill this venom from my heart.." He seemed to be fighting it as much as he could.

By now the sun was fully up in the sky, but Damon was still okay. "Damon, listen to me! You can fight it! You can win! I know you can, you're strong..." I stepped forward, slowly stretching my arm to reach his shoulder.

He looked up, his eyes the normal hazel, "Can you stake me before the sun goes down?" He asked, a little sadness flooding his voice. He looked down again, and he started to shiver.

I sat on the ground, in front of him, "And as always, innocent like roller coasters..." I whispered, trying to comfort him. He glanced up at me, and his eyes were still the hazel color I liked. He seemed hesitant, but he eventually gained enough confidence and hugged me.

I hugged back, thankful for the embrace, "Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against, because I've seen what they look like..." He replied softly, and I nodded.

"Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading..." I whispered in his ear. He hummed in reply.

"Jay... Please, I don't want to hurt you ever.. Please, stake me... It's what I want you to do..." He murmured. I couldn’t believe this; he was asking me to do something I never would have thought of doing before.

I pulled back and looked at him, but all I saw was a completely serious look on his face. "Please, tell me you're kidding, Damon. You can't seriously think I would do that.." I looked down at the ground. He stood up, and walked away for a moment. He returned and opened my hand, only to place something in it.

I looked at the object, and then looked at Damon. "You're completely serious...?" I asked, looking at him to see what he said. The doubt I had in me was like an unwavering power, trying to blow me over easily, but I stayed put, trying not to let it phase me.

He responded with a grunt of yes. I looked at the stake. "As long as you say..." I mumbled. Why could he not wait until we knew this was the only answer?

I took Damon's hand and stood, "I'm sorry this ever happened to you... I shouldn't have left you alone... I should've been there to save you..." I looked away from him.

I felt something within me start to hurt, as if I was being pulled down into the depths of a nightmare.It sparked a fire burning bright in me, it made me feel as if I was alone, like nothing was there for me. It burned my happy memories, and left the sad memories, like it was telling me there really was nothing, just an empty void, that only pity can take a spot in. I returned to reality after a moment of thinking, ‘What if I could help him?’ and ‘What if I could save him? What would he do next…?’. It was something not to be thought of, but to ask, however I could not do so. I couldn’t speak for some reason, I assume it was just the heat of the moment, but I don’t believe it. However much I didn’t like this situation, I knew it was something Damon would want. He even pleaded for it, like he couldn’t escape the grasp he was in until this very thing happened. It was scary, and I knew he would be scarred if I stayed how I am right now, in this very second.

"Just do it..." I took a deep breath, and gripped the stake tightly. I moved my hand back, and in one swift movement the stake was in his heart.

He fell, as did I. I held on to him tightly, "Damon.. I'm so sorry... Please forgive me..." I whispered, hugging him, not caring if blood got on my shirt. Damon groaned in pain, "Mhm.."

He leaned his head forward, onto my shoulder, "I have one last... thing... to tell... you... Jay.." He spoke slowly, taking deep breaths and stopping frequently, "I... love... you.." And then he fell dead.

"Damon... I love you too..." I whispered, my eyes watering. I looked at the stake, then an idea popped into my head.

I took the stake in my hand, and held it tightly. I closed my eyes, and the stake was in my own heart. I fell, the gravity pulling me down, as if I was heavy anchor. I was seconds away from an inevitable fate for all people, but I needed to hold on, to call out, to see if anyone could hear me, to give us a proper burial, however, this is a forest, and no one was out here. I breathed in a last heavily fractured breath and said the words that have been on my mind for ages, the words I’d say before I died, the words of a final goodbye for someone you love.

"So Long and Goodnight..."

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:23 am
Sujana wrote a review...

Ooh, song pieces. These are always fun to do, it's like a reimagined music video.

Anyway, while I did like the idea of this work, I think it could be better constructed plot wise. I mean, we still have no idea how these people even got where they were. Where did the vampires come from? Why are they chasing them? How did Damon become a vampire? Everything is very confusing and nothing is shown that would give answers or anything, which is why reading this is like reading a dream sequence. I think, for the most part, this is caused because of your insistence on using the song lyrics--as you said, this was for a school assignment, so it may be an obligation to use the lyrics in the song. But using them as a part of the dialogue causes a massive upheaval of confusion overall, as the reader can't discern between the lyrics and the actual story.

But enough of that for now. We have other things to address first, albeit briefly.

""Please, tell me your kidding, Damon."

You're, not your.

"The doubt I had in me was like an unwavering power, trying to blow me over easily, but I stayed put, trying not to let it phase me."

As far as I recall, this is supposed to be faze, not phase. Look up the meaning to check on it, I'm sure that's what you meant.

Now, a continuation of my earlier rant.

A) Something else that I didn't quite understand is how fast everything is going. One moment Damon has all the control, the next he's writhing in pain, the next he's telling Jay to kill him, aaaaand I'm completely lost now. Wow. I mean, the idea is pretty straightforward--Damon is having a hard time not being a vampire. The internal struggle shouldn't be as difficult to portray as it is, but it looks cluttered the way you do it. I suggest trying to put a structure to it, as in transitions from conflict to conflict, and separations between lyrics and action, that sort of thing.

B) I think I had one last complaint, but I forgot about it and now I have an empty space here. Well, I guess I have to fill this with one question that's lingered in the back of my head throughout this whole ordeal; is Jay a boy or a girl? I mean, I guess it doesn't matter, but I found it weird that I never picked it up. Oh well.

Great job, overall. Keep up the good work.

Signing out,

--EM.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:46 am
Maricore wrote a review...

This piece gives me a lot of feelings about it to be honest, but now i'll talk about the "plot" in this.
First this is inspired from a song, good enough. And I'm guessing one with italic font (that's the name of the font right?) Is the song's words and also their thoughts. And here is the problem, I couldn't tell who was saying them or are they just thrown there to fit the situation of the story? I don't know honestly.
Apperantly Damon was already half a vampire? Since you said he had fangs too, then what's the idea of him being bitten and now turning crazy mode? That's fairly decent, the story was fitting the song until we started going to the end, at some points when they said "we are handing around with corps" or something like that.
Does this points out that she was hanging out with Damon who was already a vampire? I'm trying to figure it out.
Also then Damon begs jay for her to kill him, this is so clichéd... But it was good.
Dunno why but this story keeps reminding me of the movie "Vampire hunter" until we then reached the end were it turned to a sad vampire version of Romeo and Juliette, (killing herself just made me face palm myself so hard) Why did she do that? I get it true love and all this cheesiness but why? He was dead to start with!
How did she even gather the strength to stab him? Or stab herself?
I'm not gonna even ask about why she was chased by vampires. And that small friend who died?................what?
What is going on?
And nothing at all made me go LOLROTF more the last sentience "so long and goodnight"
........
..........
.............
That just ruined everything.
That sentience sounds like someone on an old circus show aired on television would say.
It should've been something more deep and less vague to what just happened!
But yet again you where baising this off a song, and chemical romance songs tend to go a little off at the end of their song if we will try to put this in a story like you did here.
Over all this is a very good and respected try, I blame both confusion and that last sentience on the song xD
It was good, I won't push it away and throw it in the nearest hell hole xD
This story was nice, and the sacrifice he did for her was clichéd but I didn't expect it, I thought he would just run away and tell her never to meet again or something like that.
So bonus points, you surprised me.
Also when she killed herself, I didn't see it coming either.
So great job with those few twists :)
-Mari

NovaRed says...

I'm so sorry I confused you on this.
This was written last year for a school project, and I was limited on what I could do for it.
Once again, I am so sorry that I confused you so much.

Maricore says...

Its alright :) there is nothing to apologize for :)
I fairly enjoyed it so thak you for putting it up for us to read :D

Vampire1025 says...

I love it! And My Chemical Romance.

RadiantShadow says...

beautiful simply wonderful!

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns