Home » Literary works » Poetry » Politics

12+

Humanities Curse

by Nightshade27

I hate when you know the answer

To a question that's never been asked
And you can never change an outcome
For either the future or past

But that's the curse of being human
The blur of fact or myth
the minds of fellow men
And the biology we were born with

This idiotic complacency which I was gifted
Choking on words left unsaid
Dying inside the wretched tomb of my own head

But that's the curse of being human
The tired endless days
Spending all of our precious time
Wasting our life away

Our words they have no meaning
Our hearts refuse to beat
Driving along the pavement
Instead of standing on our feet

But that's the curse of being human
Our end justifies the mean
The progress made and blood we spilled questions
Are we animal or machine

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:08 pm
lesther1 says...

wow this is amazing , you really dug deeply into the life of a human being!

Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:02 am
Burrow wrote a review...

Jack here for a review on your lovely poem here.

You have shown me a truly wonderful poem, I often say many poems are good, but that is how I feel, and this one is really good. It answered a lot of questions I have been asking for a lot of time.

I think what you say is very true, life is really a curse, and often we all feel that we aren't in fact that smart, we are just stupid animals doing stupid things. Maybe that is true, we are making far to many mistakes. I don't really know, I just had to say that...

Anyway I really liked this poem, I could go on how you could fix this, but there really isn't anything I could offer, because one I am not very good at poetry, but two, there is nothing to fix what so ever. So just a big congratulations on your part, and a shocked reader on my part.

Thankyou for sharing this with me, thankyou a lot. It is a thumbs up from me!! And remember to always keep writing and reading, it is one of the good things in life. I wouldn't know what to do if you stopped writing!

Have a great day!!

Jack

Nightshade27 says...

Wow thank you! I wasn't expecting such positive feedback, especially for one of my first poems.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:57 am
helloparkingmeter wrote a review...

Wow. Just wow.
Normally, I don't really like poems with stanzas or structure, but this, I really liked. I've really wanted to see a poem that talks about the 'Human Condition', about life and how we all coexist in this modern society of ours. And I really liked how you called it a 'curse', rather than something like 'problem' or 'trouble'. 'Curse' makes one realize that this thing affecting us is not something that we can easily get out of.

However, despite all of that, there were some things that were a bit iffy.
Firstly, the title:
[b]'Humanities Curse'[b]
The word 'humanities' implies that there is more than one humanity. Could you have possibly meant 'humanity's' rather than 'humanities'?

And was it deliberate that some stanzas had a rhyme scheme of 'abab', then 'abb', then 'abcb'?
Does it have a set rhyme meter or not?
I don't mean that in a bad way, just curious.

Other than that, everything was awesome. A favourite of mine was stanza 3.
I really want to read more of your work, so don't stop writing!!

-parkingmeter

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart